'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: First "Buzz to...." speculation  (Read 18520 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: First "Buzz to...." speculation
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Naples, LA, Atlanta.  These are not cities, they are suburbs. 

Atlanta is a suburb to what?

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Re: My reason to fire back at Chicos
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2010, 09:56:19 AM »

I didn't realize you were 80 years old.

My liver is........

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: The thing that everyone is losing sight of.....
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »

Correct, but the talking heads started the crap after 3 years.  MU has this perception with some national sports guys as a launching point.  It came up with KO, with Deane, TC and now with Buzz.

It's too bad that MU has this reputation despite the amount of money we pour in.  

The "talking heads" who "started the crap" were getting a lot of their material directly from TC. With Buzz being young and successful there will be some talk, but Williams won't feed the beast the way Crean did.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:34 AM »
San Diego isn't a real place, it's like narnia or detroit....

Well done! hahahaha

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »
Buzz made the comment after the St. Johns game that "We'll continue to be able to get good players at Marquette.  What I don't know is that they will be as good of people as these 3 guys (Zar, Mo, Cooby) have been, as these are 3 of the best kids I've ever been around.

Very true statement, but I think that statement offers a little bit of insight into how Buzz views MU - not sure Crean was sold on the fact he could continue to get good players to Marquette, and thus thought it would be easier at Indiana.  I'm glad Buzz has the confidence that he can get good players to MU, as it all starts with recruiting.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2010, 10:10:04 AM »
Chicos ... when picking the best city in America, do you put a 99% weight on weather?  It can't be a nice city if it is cold and snowy in Janaury.

You live in LA, correct?  Everything about LA says is a disaster of a place, except its 75 and sunny in January so that offsets everything else.

No doubt in my mind Chicago is one of the best cities in the country, closely followed by NYC.

We all have different opinions.  I don't like LA as I stated earlier.  I don't care for Chicago much, though there are some parts I like.   My biggest problem with Chicago is the corruption is so rampant and has been for decades.  It's not the only city, most major cities have serious corruption issues, but Chicago is at the top in my opinion.

Some people love the big cities, some don't.  I prefer mid-sized cities like Milwaukee, Phoenix, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc.  All have their issues.  Chicago as the best city in America, sorry, not buying it.  Just my opinion. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2010, 10:10:39 AM »
I always hated these lists because they need to be different or else no one will read them or care.  If someone came out with a list that listed the best cities in the US and it read NYC, Chicago, LA, San Franciso, etc. it would be pretty boring and pointless.  If you asked a broad group from around the country what the best cities were I think the usual suspects would always pop up.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »
Regarding DePaul's quest for a coach:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0312-around-town--20100311,0,2755884.column

If they could build a stadium near campus, that would help them in so many ways.  

---

I don't see Buzz leaving for one big reason (with a couple of smaller reasons).  Marquette is a faith based institution.  That seems to be a huge factor for him.  I really believe that the mission of MU really fits Buzz's values and beliefs.  So, what larger, more dedicated university is out there that he would want to go to?  (I'm actually asking, I can't think of any.)  
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
Wasn't that he believes Chicago is not the finest city, but using the IOC as his initial barometer.

If I were picking a city, my preference would be Naples, FL. Suprised Florida Gulf Coast U is not a sports powerhouse :)

Many barometers, that was just the latest most obvious one that had national attention (I didn't think the Milton Bradley stuff was credible).  I love Naples, FL as well....actually like Bonita Springs a little more down in that neck of the woods. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2010, 10:16:17 AM »

---

I don't see Buzz leaving for one big reason (with a couple of smaller reasons).  Marquette is a faith based institution.  That seems to be a huge factor for him.  I really believe that the mission of MU really fits Buzz's values and beliefs.  So, what larger, more dedicated university is out there that he would want to go to?  (I'm actually asking, I can't think of any.)  

Baylor.  And that is right in his recruiting wheelhouse...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
We all have different opinions.  I don't like LA as I stated earlier.  I don't care for Chicago much, though there are some parts I like.   My biggest problem with Chicago is the corruption is so rampant and has been for decades.  It's not the only city, most major cities have serious corruption issues, but Chicago is at the top in my opinion.

Some people love the big cities, some don't.  I prefer mid-sized cities like Milwaukee, Phoenix, Indianapolis, San Diego, etc.  All have their issues.  Chicago as the best city in America, sorry, not buying it.  Just my opinion. 

Phoenix a mid-sized city?!? 5th largest in the country   :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »

Baylor's got a hell of a coach already.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2010, 10:22:30 AM »

I know.  Just trying to offer a larger faith based institution.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2010, 10:24:19 AM »

Yeah, what Scott Drew has done down there is pretty damn near amazing. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2010, 10:25:07 AM »
Many barometers, that was just the latest most obvious one that had national attention (I didn't think the Milton Bradley stuff was credible).  I love Naples, FL as well....actually like Bonita Springs a little more down in that neck of the woods. 

I prefer Sarasota....but that's just me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
Regarding DePaul's quest for a coach:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0312-around-town--20100311,0,2755884.column

If they could build a stadium near campus, that would help them in so many ways.  

I have always thought that Steve Lavin was deserving of another chance somewhere.  The guy can clearly recruit, and he did pretty darn well at UCLA outside of his last year.  They were in the Sweet 16 in five of his first six seasons.  He's still only about 45 years old too.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »

Despite their recnet success, I doubt Baylor is more dedicated to its basketball program than MU.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »

The little talk that is coming out of Chicago relative to the DePaul situation seems to be that they are ready to do what is necessary to get their program back to being good. I hope that's the case as I think that would be a good thing for MU.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2010, 10:43:05 AM »
Despite their recnet success, I doubt Baylor is more dedicated to its basketball program than MU.

Basketball is merely a tasty appetizer to the football feast that is Texas.  Texas schools like being good at basketball and being great at is also fun.  However, every school in Texas would take 10 winless basketball seasons if it meant one football national championship.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:07 AM »
As are LA (2x), Squaw Valley, and Lake Placid.   Hey, Chico, you are out there on the left coast.   LA is one of the crown jewels of the republic, yes?

And Salt Lake City...!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
The little talk that is coming out of Chicago relative to the DePaul situation seems to be that they are ready to do what is necessary to get their program back to being good.
Is this coach available?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2010, 11:02:03 AM »

muballer10

• Starter
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »
 They probably only think about the "cold weather" city talk, but with global warming coming on, we may have that licked soon.

By 2075, we just may have a shot to be upgraded from "outrageous amounts of snow" to "extra large amounts of snow"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »
So, other than Tampa, isn't Milwaukee arguably in the Top 4 in the BE in cities to be?  Philly?  Pitt?  Louisville?  Cinci? Snores?  Syracuse?  Newark?  South Bend?  Providence?  Morgantown?  DC?  The two biggest competitors, NY and Chi, have the worst teams.  Let's get real here.  It is about the exposure (East Coast media, the facilities/program ties and first and foremost, the coach).  Recruits want to play in The League.  Why do you think CTC is selling hard on his MU NBA connections vs. those from I-Cubed?  May not play well with the alums over time (it did to start) but it does with recruits via the east coast press (including ESPN in this) and pipeline.

Some of The Buzzer's best recruits committed before they even stepped foot on campus--from Texas, NC, Florida. Benford is even awaking the West Coast pipeline where we haven't really ever played--even under Al.  Reason was about it on a high recruit level.  Buzz and Monarch own the JUCO scene now for MU.  MU treats their bball players very well.  Word gets around.  The YouTube video and the BET will get MU more pub with recruits than the USF dance team does for USF.  Kudos to Brad, Scoop and CS.  Buzz being a bit odd--in a good way-helps too--baby blue Blazer and all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:39:42 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
Phoenix a mid-sized city?!? 5th largest in the country   :o :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Wow, I honestly didn't realize it had grown that large now.  It's funny, San Antonio always makes this list, too and it never had that "big city feel" to me.  I had San Antonio on my regular route for customers for a few years and it always seemed mid sized, probably because of the lack of a center point that is a behemoth like other cities. 

Maybe it's more of how the western and southern larger cities seem to be setup vs the older, rust belt type cities. 

feedback