collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another day ... / mass shooting  (Read 34269 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Another day ...
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2021, 04:20:02 PM »
I don't think anyone is advocating for a total gun ban.

That said, what's even more insane than thinking the US can't "go tyrannical" is thinking that a bunch of Jethroes and their AR-15s is going to defeat an Army that has drones, cruise missiles and tanks.
There may have been a time when am armed citizenry served as a check on government tyranny, but that time is long past.

Fair point.

MU82

• All American
Re: Another day ... / mass shooting
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2021, 04:44:46 PM »
I'm open-minded on this stuff, and I thank those of you who have put forth several things you'd like to see done.

Unfortunately, those who defend the status quo respond by saying even potential laws that 90% of Americans favor "wouldn't stop gun violence," or they make knee-jerk references to the 2nd Amendment, or they get dramatic about people trying to take away everybody's guns, or they say no law will stop all criminals, or they say we already have laws against murder so we don't need gun legislation.

Well, even the staunchest gun-control advocate doesn't believe that enacting some (or even all) of these measures will "solve" the problem by eliminating all gun violence.

What if it curbs even 10-20%? How about even 3-5%? How about if it prevents even a couple mass murders every year?

One thing all of us on every side of this issue knows with total certainty: Too many Americans are dying from gun violence. What we have been doing for centuries isn't working. Shouldn't we try something else? Why do some folks have to wait until they or one of their loved ones is victimized before they want change?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2021, 05:00:32 PM »
John Donohue is an excellent resource for this discussion

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2021, 08:24:04 PM »
JWags - One of the main items my sister factory in Appleton makes is shell casings.  They have some unique patented process that makes them less expensive to make.  They have been printing money the last 5 years and actually dropped a bunch of longtime products to allow more machine time for casting brass for casings.  Plus copper had increased significantly the last 4-5 months in cost

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Ludum habemus.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2021, 09:19:04 PM »
That’s stunning.

Yet you hear very little of it. In Chicago, it’s been relegated to “statistics”.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2021, 09:24:44 PM »

That said, what's even more insane than thinking the US can't "go tyrannical" is thinking that a bunch of Jethroes and their AR-15s is going to defeat an Army that has drones, cruise missiles and tanks.
There may have been a time when am armed citizenry served as a check on government tyranny, but that time is long past.

Yep. At this point, a well-armed citizenry will mostly just kill one another.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2021, 12:49:31 AM »
The map is especially stark.

On one hand, it’s a swift rebuttal for all the ignorant idiots and non-Midwesterners who act like visiting Chicago is dangerous and would clutch their pearls hearing that I lived in the city.

On the other hand, it shows how neighborhood centric and concentrated the violence is and what a challenge that is to try and combat. It’s truly a tale of two cities.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2021, 07:36:41 AM »
As several brilliant minds here have told us, there is absolutely nothing that can be done to curb gun violence. Why even try? No one anywhere in the world has been able to solve this problem.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2021, 06:37:09 AM »
Chauvin's trial starts today. Hopefully, justice will be served.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2021, 09:44:43 AM »
Without looking up the numbers, I'm guessing more people have died in shootings in Chicago in this year alone then in the past 20 from all mass shootings.

Why are we so hyper focused on the mass shootings and not the overall issue?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
Reducing the incredibly, stupidly easy access to guns would help reduce both.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
Without looking up the numbers, I'm guessing more people have died in shootings in Chicago in this year alone then in the past 20 from all mass shootings.

You couldn't be more embarrassingly wrong.

137 dead to date in Chicago 139 in Vegas  Blacksburg and Orlando alone. Jesus get away from the news that's earmarked Chicago as hell on earth and overlooks every mass shooting.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:58:03 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2021, 10:25:54 AM »
Reducing the incredibly, stupidly easy access to guns would help reduce both.

Yup.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »

The problem is there are factions that are on the far left ("no reason for anyone to own a gun").  Then you have those on the far right who freak out and scream "second amendment" and "government tyranny!" They shout over t the sane middle, who want real background checks, waiting periods, and bans on military-style weapons like AR-15 and high capacity magazines that really serve no purpose in a civilized society.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
You couldn't be more embarrassingly wrong.

137 dead to date in Chicago 139 in Vegas  Blacksburg and Orlando alone. Jesus get away from the news that's earmarked Chicago as hell on earth and overlooks every mass shooting.

Shoot guess I could have said 2020. Where there was 769. Again mass shootings are such a small portion of gun violence that you all do a disservice. If you want to solve the overall problem, look at the overall problem.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »
Shoot guess I could have said 2020. Where there was 769. Again mass shootings are such a small portion of gun violence that you all do a disservice. If you want to solve the overall problem, look at the overall problem.

You would still be wrong. So let me just give you the data before you keep moving the goal posts till you can finally make an accurate comparison. There's been 1121 deaths in the 21st century from mass shootings. That's 21 of your 30 year time frame. With about 50% of those coming from 5 years.

Theres plenty wrong with city shootings around the country, it a completely different problem than those who shoot up malls, schools, theaters etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2021, 12:34:46 PM »

Mass shootings get more "focus" for a variety of reasons:

++ They can (and do) happen anywhere. Many (most?) folks think shootings in inner cities don't affect them and are avoidable. "Don't want to get shot by gangs? Well then I'll just avoid going to the South Side." But mass shootings happen in schools, at concerts, in movie theaters, in churches, in restaurants, wherever. It's scary when the place you go to worship or where your kids go to be educated can be shot up.
++ They often victimize whites, suburbanites, kids and/or well-to-do people. Again, for many people, inner-city violence is out of sight, out of mind. When the rich white suburb next door has a school shot up, it suddenly "matters."
++ They often target specific groups of people (Jews, Blacks, Christians, kids, Asians, women, etc). When Dylann Roof killed those Black folks at a South Carolina church, it resonated with tens of millions of Americans.
++ Finding ways to make it more difficult for potential perpetrators of mass shootings to acquire the weapons they need seems doable. Yes, one can kill with a knife or a machete but it's not likely the Vegas shooter could have killed dozens of people in a matter of minutes with a knife. Even a gun that doesn't fire multiple rounds every few seconds is less likely to be used to do a mass shooting.

Yes, I said "seems" doable. Maybe enacting the kind of legislation that 60-90% (depending on the proposal) of Americans want won't solve a darn thing. But what we've been doing all these years sure as hell hasn't solved anything. If requiring universal background checks, enacting waiting periods and closing loopholes will save 100 or 25 or 2 lives a year, aren't they worth a try?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 04:41:20 PM by MU82 »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
You would still be wrong. So let me just give you the data before you keep moving the goal posts till you can finally make an accurate comparison. There's been 1121 deaths in the 21st century from mass shootings. That's 21 of your 30 year time frame. With about 50% of those coming from 5 years.

Theres plenty wrong with city shootings around the country, it a completely different problem than those who shoot up malls, schools, theaters etc.

Relax yourself. I was wrong on a random fact on the internet. No need to burn the building down.

But once again, even 1121 is such an incredibly small map on the blimp.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »
Chauvin's trial starts today. Hopefully, justice will be served.

Justice will be served, by definition of a jury trial hearing evidence and rendering their verdict.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2021, 03:19:29 PM »
Justice will be served, by definition of a jury trial hearing evidence and rendering their verdict.

It's the best we got, but I wouldn't say the jury system is batting 1.000 when it comes to dispensing justice.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2021, 03:26:19 PM »
Relax yourself. I was wrong on a random fact on the internet. No need to burn the building down.

But once again, even 1121 is such an incredibly small map on the blimp.

It's not a fact it's a BS right wing talking point that's also having negative effects on the tourism industry in Chicago.

Edit: Deleted the rest of my post. Because there's no point.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 03:29:09 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam