[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What REALLY happened after Markus went back into game  (Read 8998 times)

MU82

• All American
What REALLY happened after Markus went back into game
« on: March 07, 2019, 10:17:14 AM »
In other threads, there have been dozens (by now, maybe hundreds) of references about how the Warriors blew the game after Markus came back in with 8:42 to go.

Much of the blame has been put on Markus. He took bad shots. He was loose with the ball. Sam played "differently." Etc.

Let's take a look at the facts and see.

First of all, the score was 40-33 when Markus left and 59-51 when he came back in. So even though many Scoopers thought we dominated while Markus sat, the fact was that MU only outscored SH 19-18 during that span. We played fine.

As for the ending, glutton for punishment that I am, I re-watched it and took notes ...

8:42 Powell awarded basket on Morrow GT. 59-51 MU

8:42 Markus returns to game.

8:32 Markus drives and misses 5-foot pull-up.

8:15 Joey misses dunk.

7:22 Sam misses 15-footer.

6:30 Sam hits open 3 on nice pass from Joey. 62-55 MU

5:35 Joey misses long 3.

5:15 Markus misses contested 3.

4:41 Sacar scores on putback of own miss on nice IB play by Wojo/pass by Markus. MU 64-55

In other words, in the first 4 minutes after Markus returned, we actually increased our lead by a point.

It all went to shyte after that, as we couldn't get a stop and the following crapola ensued:

4:04 Joey rejected in lane with 20 seconds left on shot clock.

3:38 Sam misses open 3 with 18 seconds left on shot clock.

3:17 After Powell scores, Wojo calls TO and subs Bailey for Joey. MU 64-62

3:02 Markus misses long (but open) 3. (Powell then ties it)

2:34 Markus turnover, loses dribble trying to drive to hoop.

2:25 Powell long 3. 67-64 SH

2:00 Theo misses jump hook outside his normal range.

1:15 Sam airballs wild, unnecessary 3. We luckily get ball back after review.

1:00 Sam misses very closely contested 3.

:56 Rhoden makes 2 FTs. 69-64 SH

:43 Sam misses forced 3; Anim rebound.

:37 Markus misses open 3.

:34 Nzei makes 2 FTs. 71-64 SH

:24 Sacar misses jumper.

:21 Nzei makes 2 FTs. 73-64

Them's the facts.

So ... how much of the fade over the last 8 1/2 minutes really was on Markus?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: What REALLY happened after Markus went back into game
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:34:40 AM »
So, in other words, those last four minutes where like Buzz in Louisville, aina?  Powell got hot and MU's sphincter tightened.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »
Joey really looked like a frosh last night.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:49:30 AM »
Very good analysis 82.  God Bless you for having the fortitude to re-watch that mess.
My feeling when watching the game in real time was that Wojo needed to put MH back in when he did.  Yes we were doing ok with Sacar bringing the ball us BUT Hall was starting to figure that out and we needed a second semi reliable ball handler on the floor.  Also it was obvious that Hall was making their final push to win the game and with the crowd getting louder you needed your POY candidate in the game.  I think to do otherwise Wojo would have been accused of "playing not to lose" and trying to run out the clock. 
The problem with Markus was that he did not play like a POY in the final minutes.  When you are on the road and things are going against you, you drive to the lane and try to get to the rim or pick up fouls.  For some reason, I don't know if his wrist was hurting or he was bothered by the 7'2" guy or he just was having an off day Markus didn't get into the lane the way he normally does. And the problem with closing out games like this one or Nova is you MUST get in the lane and get to the line.  AND the real weakness of this team regardless of all the talk about who is a PG and who isn't or who might be is that there are really only two MU players who can beat their man off the dribble and are athletic enough to finish at the rim or get fouled.  Sacar and Markus.  That (and ball handling in general) are the weakness on this team that stop them from being GREAT.  That is why we lost the game.  I'm sure that is what Wojo was telling them which is why we saw Joey trying to drive which he really can't do against a Hall line up loaded with guards. 
This team is still very good.  Had they taken care of the ball earlier in the game they have an insurmountable lead at the 8 minute mark.  But if Markus is just an average guard and we don't have enough guards then we're just a top 30 team and top 30 teams don't win on the road against a desperate opponent who does have a POY candidate and plays like one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:31 AM »
Very good analysis 82.  God Bless you for having the fortitude to re-watch that mess.
My feeling when watching the game in real time was that Wojo needed to put MH back in when he did.  Yes we were doing ok with Sacar bringing the ball us BUT Hall was starting to figure that out and we needed a second semi reliable ball handler on the floor.  Also it was obvious that Hall was making their final push to win the game and with the crowd getting louder you needed your POY candidate in the game.  I think to do otherwise Wojo would have been accused of "playing not to lose" and trying to run out the clock. 
The problem with Markus was that he did not play like a POY in the final minutes.  When you are on the road and things are going against you, you drive to the lane and try to get to the rim or pick up fouls.  For some reason, I don't know if his wrist was hurting or he was bothered by the 7'2" guy or he just was having an off day Markus didn't get into the lane the way he normally does. And the problem with closing out games like this one or Nova is you MUST get in the lane and get to the line.  AND the real weakness of this team regardless of all the talk about who is a PG and who isn't or who might be is that there are really only two MU players who can beat their man off the dribble and are athletic enough to finish at the rim or get fouled.  Sacar and Markus.  That (and ball handling in general) are the weakness on this team that stop them from being GREAT.  That is why we lost the game.  I'm sure that is what Wojo was telling them which is why we saw Joey trying to drive which he really can't do against a Hall line up loaded with guards. 
This team is still very good.  Had they taken care of the ball earlier in the game they have an insurmountable lead at the 8 minute mark.  But if Markus is just an average guard and we don't have enough guards then we're just a top 30 team and top 30 teams don't win on the road against a desperate opponent who does have a POY candidate and plays like one.

Lots there, NAA, and I agree with most of it.

One certainly could argue that MU's looseness with the ball, led by Markus, kept us from building such a big lead that SH couldn't have come all the way back.

I definitely will agree that when it came to nut-cuttin' time, SH's star guard way outplayed our star guard. Powell just took over, and not a single Warrior had an answer. Not Markus, not Sam, not Joey, not Sacar and not Wojo.

Markus drove twice after he got back in. Once on the very next possession, when his short pull-up hit the front of the rim, and once after Powell tied it, when he turned it over dribbling through traffic. Not sure why he made no other attempts. Sacar and Joey each made a couple tries at taking it inside; Joey's dunk would have been pretty big.

One other thing I noticed watching the ending a second time: Sacar was the primary ballhandler on a LOT of possessions. Maybe we'll see more of that going forward, if nothing else to keep Markus fresher.

Markus has not been the "closer" that his reputation would suggest he should be, but he certainly was a major, major factor in several of our close wins earlier this season, including scoring bunches of points down the stretch and/or in OT.

I'm not giving up on him, and I'm not giving up on the team. We are exactly where Nova was 8 days ago -- a former first-place team that has lost 3 in a row. We don't have as much time in the regular season to right the ship as they did, but we still have plenty of time to have a great stretch of games in the BET and the NCAAs.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »
I'm not giving up on him, and I'm not giving up on the team. We are exactly where Nova was 8 days ago -- a former first-place team that has lost 3 in a row.

This is where I am.  Disappointed that its unlikely we win the BE when it was ours for the taking.  Don't get that many chances but we should have one next year.
Beat GT, win first game in the BE tourney against a likely tired team without much depth.  Probably keep a 4 seed.  Should win the opening game.  On the other games in both tourneys try to enjoy the games and hope we preform well win or lose.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »

Them's the facts.

On the other hand...

Here's an undisputed fact - the offense was a hot dumpster fire for the final 10 minutes, with MU scoring only 5 points
Another fact - that overlaps heavily with Markus coming back in

That doesn't mean the loss is on him. But it does mean our team plays differently when he's in, and last night is not the first example of it. Sure, we missed some decent looks, and we could/should have had a couple more buckets. But 5 points in 10 minutes is awful. And we were clicking on offense during the stretch when Markus sat. I'm not sure exactly when he left the games but we were certainly averaging more than half a point per minute when he was on the bench.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 11:50:35 AM »
It was posted.   While Markus was on the bench, MU outscored SHU 19-18.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
On the other hand...

Here's an undisputed fact - the offense was a hot dumpster fire for the final 10 minutes, with MU scoring only 5 points
Another fact - that overlaps heavily with Markus coming back in

That doesn't mean the loss is on him. But it does mean our team plays differently when he's in, and last night is not the first example of it. Sure, we missed some decent looks, and we could/should have had a couple more buckets. But 5 points in 10 minutes is awful. And we were clicking on offense during the stretch when Markus sat. I'm not sure exactly when he left the games but we were certainly averaging more than half a point per minute when he was on the bench.

The beautiful thing about facts is that a decent debater can make his/her argument around just about whatever data he/she has available.

I certainly don't dispute what you say, in general.

I do not have data to show, over the course of the season, how the offense did with Markus on the floor vs. without him on the floor. And I'm far too lazy to go figure it out, so if you have it I'd love to see it.

I do know that with Markus as the likely BEPOY, we were 23-4 on Feb. 26. That's also an undisputed fact.

Another fact: Although it was Sam who took over against Georgetown in the game Markus missed almost all of, scoring 31 points, Sam somehow averaged 20 points on 54% shooting over the next 5 games even though Markus averaged 37 minutes -- one of several examples I could give about how Markus' presence on the floor not only didn't cramp Sam's style but enhanced it.

Oh, and the next game after that stretch? While Sam and Joey were combining for 4 points, Markus was scoring 38 against Nova to put us in first place.

So sure, facts are fun!

Anyhoo, all I really wanted to do in the OP of this thread was show what actually happened, possession by possession, after Markus went back into last night's game, because there had been a lot of guessing and "from what I recall" statements in other threads.

I actually was surprised to see that we outscored SH during the first 4 minutes after Markus' return ... before Powell totally went off and we lost our poise.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
Joey really looked like a frosh last night.

Last night? 😳
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
So, in other words, those last four minutes where like Buzz in Louisville, aina?  Powell got hot and MU's sphincter tightened.

The next time MU blows a big lead and loses on the road will it be compared to Buzz at Louisville or Wojo at Seton Hall?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:39 PM »
Great analysis.

But you misunderstand - many of us aren't "blaming" Markus. We're just pointing out that MU was much more effective as a team while he was sitting. That might be partly because Markus was off; partly because others play differently (more deferential or tentative) when he is in the game; or partly because we gave SHU the opponent they had planned for all week. The "blame" doesn't matter; it just matters that we built a big lead with him out, and the wheels fell off when he was in.

I love Markus and Wojo, and cannot stand posters who throw them (or other MU players) under the bus for every little thing. But posters who defend everything Wojo or Markus do can be equally annoying.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
Markus howard went 0-3 and had 1 turnover in the time he checked in to the time SH grabbed the lead 67-64 on a 3 ball by Powell. MU might have extended the lead but it was no due to anything MH did. You don't need to review plays to know that the offense last night was smoother when it went through Sam. While it was not directly Howards fault they blew the lead he did not help in any single way.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »
Great analysis.

But you misunderstand - many of us aren't "blaming" Markus. We're just pointing out that MU was much more effective as a team while he was sitting. That might be partly because Markus was off; partly because others play differently (more deferential or tentative) when he is in the game; or partly because we gave SHU the opponent they had planned for all week. The "blame" doesn't matter; it just matters that we built a big lead with him out, and the wheels fell off when he was in.

I love Markus and Wojo, and cannot stand posters who throw them (or other MU players) under the bus for every little thing. But posters who defend everything Wojo or Markus do can be equally annoying.
I agree and I’d even go a step further in saying Markus wasn’t to blame as much as his teammates were. They’re the ones that changed their approach when he came back suddenly forcing bad shots (Sam) and unnecessary highlight dunks (Joey). It’s not like Markus cane in chuckin but his teammates sure played differently when he came back. I also can’t for the life of me figure out why Ed didn’t get more minutes late. There have been a handful of games this year where he’s had “it” offensively yet his usage  is exactly the same. Wojo has to do better with lineups
No Finish Line

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
Last night? 😳

The back half of conference play has not been kind to Joey. He's the weak link defensively and coaches have had success isolating him. I thought an adjustment Wojo should have made against Nova was to switch Sam on to Samuels, as Joey couldn't handle him.

Offensively, you see the potential, but he needs to add strength in the off-season. The way MU is running their offense and the way teams are guarding Markus, Joey is getting favorable match-ups on the switches. Happened all game yesterday. Unfortunately, he's not taking advantage.

Next to lack of options at the guard spot (Chartouny has been an abysmal failure), Joey being a year away is the biggest issue I see at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:45:03 PM by RJax55 »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »
With all the double teaming on Markus I just don't understand how we can't find the open man.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 01:36:38 PM »
Not blam g Markus ...my God we would be no where without h8m.  Just that flow was going retry well when he was out, and maybe you just ride with the flow.   

Love Markus - tough kid with huge talent obviously.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 01:39:39 PM »
With all the double teaming on Markus I just don't understand how we can't find the open man.

I don't understand how he doesn't draw more fouls when teams crowd and press him out to the half court line.  Its insane.  He gets fouled constantly. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 02:43:30 PM »
Good frame by frame analysis.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 02:50:11 PM »
Great analysis.

Thanks, Goooooo.

Actually, I don't misunderstand at all. I simply don't see evidence that "MU was much more effective as a team while he was sitting."

He played just about the entire first half and we had a 6-point lead at halftime. We added a point to that lead early in the second half (with him having just made a 3 -- he might have been ready to get on a roll) before he left with his third foul. During the time he sat, we only outscored them 19-18. And in the first 4 minutes after he came back, we outscored them by a point, with Sam benefiting from his presence to hit a wide-open 3 and Sacar getting a pass from him to score.

So from the opening tip until there were 4 1/2 minutes to go in the game, we were +8 with Markus on the floor and +1 without Markus on the floor.

In the last 4 minutes, it all turned to shyte -- Powell made everything he threw at the basket, 50% FT shooters swished their FTs, and none of our players could do anything on O. So yes, if that stretch is included, we were less effective with Markus on the floor during the entirety of the game. And of course, as much as we'd like to not include it, we do have to include those last 4 1/2 minutes.

But when I see the phrase "much more effective," I'm thinking we were bad with Markus on the floor and great when he wasn't on the floor. And that simply wasn't the case for most of the game. Nor has it been the case in most games this season.

Sam scored 31 points vs Georgetown in the game Markus left early with his injury. But over the next 5 games, with Markus playing 37 mpg, Sam averaged 20 ppg. So it's not as if Markus' return held Sam back. Does Sam defer to Markus too much? I would argue absolutely. I often find myself yelling at the TV for Sam to be more assertive, especially on the block. He is too good to just drift around the 3-point line.

We are in total agreement that "posters who defend everything Wojo or Markus do can be equally annoying." Thankfully, neither of us does that.

I frequently point out times I think Wojo could have done better. And I have said many times that Markus is a scorer with few PG skills who is stuck in a PG's body and a PG's role; he has poor court vision when it comes to spotting open teammates, he will never be close to Chris Paul or Steve Nash when it comes to dishing dimes, he takes a few really bad shots every game, and he is too loose with the basketball.

But like Popeye, he yam what he yam. We have been lucky enough to watch one of the greatest scorers we've ever seen and we ever will see, a guy whose long stretches of excellence have helped us win numerous games these last 3 years. Seems to be a really fine young man, too, though I don't know him so can't say that with 100% certainty.

When we were going well, it was funny to watch some Scoopers bend themselves into pretzels to avoid choosing Markus for SOTG when he'd have 30+ points, 5 reb and 5 assists and their chosen player would have 13 points (or, in Heldt's case, a couple of rebounds).

Most of us who defend Markus know exactly what he is. I wonder how many of those who routinely take shots at him (not you) know exactly what we've been fortunate enough to have.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »

Them's the facts.

8:42 left, we lead by 8. We get outscored 22-5, lose by 9. POY and leading Big East leading scorer (and i think our top assist man) goes 0-4, 0 assists, 1 turnover in that time. I'd say quite a bit.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »
8:42 left, we lead by 8. We get outscored 22-5, lose by 9. POY and leading Big East leading scorer (and i think our top assist man) goes 0-4, 0 assists, 1 turnover in that time. I'd say quite a bit.

And I'd agree with you, Lenny.

I don't want to tear down others, though, so I won't assess a percentage of blame to each of several.

But I'd say quite a bit.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 04:15:51 PM »
Thanks, Goooooo.

Actually, I don't misunderstand at all. I simply don't see evidence that "MU was much more effective as a team while he was sitting."

He played just about the entire first half and we had a 6-point lead at halftime. We added a point to that lead early in the second half (with him having just made a 3 -- he might have been ready to get on a roll) before he left with his third foul. During the time he sat, we only outscored them 19-18. And in the first 4 minutes after he came back, we outscored them by a point, with Sam benefiting from his presence to hit a wide-open 3 and Sacar getting a pass from him to score.

So from the opening tip until there were 4 1/2 minutes to go in the game, we were +8 with Markus on the floor and +1 without Markus on the floor.

In the last 4 minutes, it all turned to shyte -- Powell made everything he threw at the basket, 50% FT shooters swished their FTs, and none of our players could do anything on O. So yes, if that stretch is included, we were less effective with Markus on the floor during the entirety of the game. And of course, as much as we'd like to not include it, we do have to include those last 4 1/2 minutes.

But when I see the phrase "much more effective," I'm thinking we were bad with Markus on the floor and great when he wasn't on the floor. And that simply wasn't the case for most of the game. Nor has it been the case in most games this season.

Sam scored 31 points vs Georgetown in the game Markus left early with his injury. But over the next 5 games, with Markus playing 37 mpg, Sam averaged 20 ppg. So it's not as if Markus' return held Sam back. Does Sam defer to Markus too much? I would argue absolutely. I often find myself yelling at the TV for Sam to be more assertive, especially on the block. He is too good to just drift around the 3-point line.

We are in total agreement that "posters who defend everything Wojo or Markus do can be equally annoying." Thankfully, neither of us does that.

I frequently point out times I think Wojo could have done better. And I have said many times that Markus is a scorer with few PG skills who is stuck in a PG's body and a PG's role; he has poor court vision when it comes to spotting open teammates, he will never be close to Chris Paul or Steve Nash when it comes to dishing dimes, he takes a few really bad shots every game, and he is too loose with the basketball.

But like Popeye, he yam what he yam. We have been lucky enough to watch one of the greatest scorers we've ever seen and we ever will see, a guy whose long stretches of excellence have helped us win numerous games these last 3 years. Seems to be a really fine young man, too, though I don't know him so can't say that with 100% certainty.

When we were going well, it was funny to watch some Scoopers bend themselves into pretzels to avoid choosing Markus for SOTG when he'd have 30+ points, 5 reb and 5 assists and their chosen player would have 13 points (or, in Heldt's case, a couple of rebounds).

Most of us who defend Markus know exactly what he is. I wonder how many of those who routinely take shots at him (not you) know exactly what we've been fortunate enough to have.

So we weren't "much more effective" with him out..as long as you ignore what happened (with him on the floor) for the last 4 1/2 minutes? That's like saying November 22, 1963 wasn't too bad a day for JFK, as long as you don't take account of the part where he was shot. You can't simply disregard the part you don't like. I know you kind of acknowledge that in your post...but then you seem to disregard it because "it all turned to shyte."

To me, it just makes more sense to look at the full 40 minutes and acknowledge that the +1 when he was off the floor really was "much more effective" than the -10 when he was in.

Anyhow - all good.

We Are Marquette!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:22:39 PM by GooooMarquette »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »

So we weren't "much more effective" with him out..as long as you ignore what happened (with him on the floor) for the last 4 1/2 minutes? That's like saying November 22, 1963 wasn't too bad a day for JFK, as long as you don't take account of the part where he was shot. You can't simply disregard the part you don't like. I know you kind of acknowledge that in your post...but then you seem to disregard it because "it all turned to shyte."

To me, it just makes more sense to look at the full 40 minutes and acknowledge that the +1 when he was off the floor really was "much more effective" than the -10 when he was in.

Anyhow - all good.

We Are Marquette!

I think the point is that the crappy last 5 minutes wasn't foreseeable based on the first 35 minutes.  Was Wojo supposed to know, based on the game up to that point, that Markus was going to finish poorly?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:00 PM »
I posted this in a different thread but it probably belongs here:

"I believe the reason Markus is playing point is
a) he's the best of a bad lot
b) Wojo truly wants to give him an NBA chance, and without PG skills, he's got no chance

IMHO it's time for the Markus @ point experiment to end, and move on to PG by committee while running Markus off screens as a true 2 guard.  I'd rather have Sacar or even Sam at PG than Markus.  When the other teams pressure, the press break (the one where guys pass to each other, not the one where Markus dribbles into a double team) is better for initiating the offense than Markus initiating the set offense without pressure. 

Many scouts have weighed in, and the The Athletic wrote a great article about it.  Markus is at best a fringe NBA talent and only in the perfect system.  Having him play the point any further - at the detriment of the team and it's further success - is a negative... ESPECIALLY now that all of the other BEAST teams have figure out how to stop him."

What I saw the other night - the eye test only, with no effort to support it by stats - is a workable scenario when Markus was out, and possibilities when he's in and plays off the ball.  Our worst offensive set is Markus at the top, with the ball, because he's too easy to guard one on one with a larger guard, and too reluctant to pass to the roll man on PNR, and struggles due to size to pass out of the double team. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
If Wojo kept Markus on the bench for the last 8 minutes and we still lose the game, how would many of you on this board be acting then?  In my opinion, sitting a BE POY in that situation and to lose would be near a fireable offense.

Hindsight is 20/20 but you can’t sit Markus there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 07:17:02 PM »
Testify.   Benching  the BEPOY is only an option for morning after lamentations.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 07:31:33 PM »
If Wojo kept Markus on the bench for the last 8 minutes and we still lose the game, how would many of you on this board be acting then?  In my opinion, sitting a BE POY in that situation and to lose would be near a fireable offense.

Exactly.

It would be like Torre not using Rivera in the 9th inning of a playoff game ... and then the Yankees losing.

I posted this in a different thread but it probably belongs here:

"I believe the reason Markus is playing point is
a) he's the best of a bad lot
b) Wojo truly wants to give him an NBA chance, and without PG skills, he's got no chance

IMHO it's time for the Markus @ point experiment to end, and move on to PG by committee while running Markus off screens as a true 2 guard.  I'd rather have Sacar or even Sam at PG than Markus.  When the other teams pressure, the press break (the one where guys pass to each other, not the one where Markus dribbles into a double team) is better for initiating the offense than Markus initiating the set offense without pressure. 

Many scouts have weighed in, and the The Athletic wrote a great article about it.  Markus is at best a fringe NBA talent and only in the perfect system.  Having him play the point any further - at the detriment of the team and it's further success - is a negative... ESPECIALLY now that all of the other BEAST teams have figure out how to stop him."

What I saw the other night - the eye test only, with no effort to support it by stats - is a workable scenario when Markus was out, and possibilities when he's in and plays off the ball.  Our worst offensive set is Markus at the top, with the ball, because he's too easy to guard one on one with a larger guard, and too reluctant to pass to the roll man on PNR, and struggles due to size to pass out of the double team. 

Wojo wants to win. Period.

If he thought those other options were better, he'd do just what you say.

"Our worst offensive set" has had two 8-game winning streaks and a 4-game winning streak, has delivered numerous Q1 wins including over Wisconsin, Kansas State, Buffalo and Nova, has helped us to 23 victories, has achieved at least second place in the Big East, etc.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 07:49:44 PM »

If there were only two choices you would be 100% correct. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 10:42:29 PM »
I think the point is that the crappy last 5 minutes wasn't foreseeable based on the first 35 minutes. Was Wojo supposed to know, based on the game up to that point, that Markus was going to finish poorly?

Given that Markus had played poorly most of the game, it wouldn’t take a great leap of prescience to expect it to continue. So yes, I would have given the others the chance to finish it up.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:57 PM »

Given that Markus had played poorly most of the game, it wouldn’t take a great leap of prescience to expect it to continue. So yes, I would have given the others the chance to finish it up.

I reluctantly must agree.  It seems to me that with Markus in the game the team plays at a slightly faster tempo and that throws everything off.  I like fast tempo, who doesn't, but this team is not capable of playing up tempo.  They can mostly hold there owne on defense, but on offense they panic when they speed it up.

The ill advised early in the time clock shots are indicative of panic, the short circuit of their better judgement.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 07:08:05 AM »

Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 08:22:19 AM »

Monday morning Wednesday evening quarterbacking at its finest.

FIFY. When he put Markus back in, I looked at my wife and said "why is he putting him back in?"

From the threads, it's apparent I wasn't the only one....

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »

Monday morning quarterbacking at its finest.

Yes, nevertheless, when you are ahead you need defense, when your behind you need offense.  There are three games within a game.  The opening game, the start of the second half game and end game. 

As I see it the problem is not Markus, it is end game tempo.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 08:43:38 AM »

Uh...no..there are plenty of games where Markus had been playing subpar, and then boom..he scores a quick 10 points.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2019, 09:05:48 AM »
Uh...no..there are plenty of games where Markus had been playing subpar, and then boom..he scores a quick 10 points.

Great analysis, and would be apropos if we were behind.

But we didn't need a quick 10 points...we needed to maintain the rhythm, confidence and cohesiveness we had maintained while he was out.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 09:07:28 AM »

But we didn't need a quick 10 points...we needed to maintain the rhythm, confidence and cohesiveness we had maintained while he was out.

But the lead had already started to shrink, and then actually stopped shrinking and actually grew a little bit when he first came in.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:14 AM »

You mean the rhythm, confidence and cohesiveness that just resulted in SH scoring 5 points in about 20 seconds to cut a 13-point deficit to 8?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 09:57:07 AM »
You mean the rhythm, confidence and cohesiveness that just resulted in SH scoring 5 points in about 20 seconds to cut a 13-point deficit to 8?

No, the rhythm that had increased the lead overall despite the fact that our best player had been on the bench.

Look, I'm done here. There are too many apologists who won't question anything Wojo does, and on the other side too many naysayers who want to rip him any chance they get. I am neither - I love Wojo and what he has done for the program, and hope he is at MU for a long time. And I rarely question his strategic moves, even when others do. But in the flow of this game and with the way Markus had played, I believed (both at the time, and in hindsight) that he made the wrong decision on Sunday.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 10:03:40 AM »
No, the rhythm that had increased the lead overall despite the fact that our best player had been on the bench.

Look, I'm done here. There are too many apologists who won't question anything Wojo does, and on the other side too many naysayers who want to rip him any chance they get. I am neither - I love Wojo and what he has done for the program, and hope he is at MU for a long time. And I rarely question his strategic moves, even when others do. But in the flow of this game and with the way Markus had played, I believed (both at the time, and in hindsight) that he made the wrong decision on Sunday.
And you are correct on all fronts
No Finish Line

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
Sam was white-hot most of the game, almost entirely within the flow of the offense.   Markus comes in, throws up a couple bad shots out of flow, Sam throws up a few garbage shots of his own, out of flow.  Is it possible Markus being in at the end killed Sam’s rhythm?   Sam was feeling it, but also knows Markus is going to take his shots and that Markus has been garbage all game.   So could it be that Sam, knowing he was the best player on the court at the time, and knowing that Markus would kill the game-flow anyway decided that as long as he had the hot-hand it should be him putting up those type of shots?   I could be wrong, but didn’t Sam’s late-game decline coincide with Markus’ return to the court?  Yes, the OP presents a reasoned argument and yes, how do you keep a potential POY off the court, but it just doesn’t seem to pass the smell-test.   I think Markus’ return killed Sam’s momo and completely took him off his game, thus destroying any flow they had going up to that point.   Add useless Joey and Miles Powell butthole-shots and we see the result. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »

Even though I disagree, I respect this, Goooo. Have a good one.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2019, 01:39:01 PM »
From the threads, it's apparent I wasn't the only one....

Yup, thought the same live.  Or rather said "Oh crap, he put Markus back in".  I get it, others disagree with me.  And it doesn't mean I'm trashing Wojo or Markus.  Just was the wrong decision in this game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 01:49:16 PM by rocky_warrior »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2019, 02:11:46 PM »
The other teams have figured out our "tell" plain and simple.  expect the same type of ball from teams that are quick enough / long enough to play that way. 

We have zero answer without a true PG and unless we are raining 3s at an unconscious level we will be lucky to make it to the second weekend.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
We win as a team

We lose as a team.

Simple. Clear, Easy.

We should have won. We didn't.

Move on.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »
The other teams have figured out our "tell" plain and simple.  expect the same type of ball from teams that are quick enough / long enough to play that way. 

We have zero answer without a true PG and unless we are raining 3s at an unconscious level we will be lucky to make it to the second weekend.

What same type of play? All three losses used very different game plans
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »
What same type of play? All three losses used very different game plans

Yep.

And the opponents' brilliant game plans didn't prevent us from having the lead in each game with just a few minutes to play.

Early in the season, we won some very close games. Made a shot here, a defensive play there, got big buckets from Markus and Sam, a big put-back from Ed, an enormous break from Creighton and the refs, etc. The last 3 games, we've shot ourselves in the foot down the stretch, couldn't make a shot, turned the ball over, got burned by both a star (Powell) and a one-hit wonder (Samuels), perhaps didn't coach quite as well. Reminds me a little of the 2010 and 2011 teams, which both won and lost a shyteload of close games (except this year's team has won more of 'em.)

But yeah, sure, there is some incredible blueprint to beating us now that didn't exist 10 days ago.

I just wonder why that incredible blueprint didn't stop us from getting a 13-point lead at Seton Hall or from having a great shot to win a road game against the defending national champs.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2019, 04:45:07 PM »
Yep.

And the opponents' brilliant game plans didn't prevent us from having the lead in each game with just a few minutes to play.

You see, the other teams know our game plan plain and simple, but they are willing to trail most of the game so as not to tip off our side or anyone else.  Then they wait until the last five minutes to Spring their counter measures so we can not recover in time.  Don’t you guys understand?

Hopefully teal was not needed.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Class71

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
The team lost. That is what matters. Wojo needs to fix it if he has any hope for the end of the season.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »
You see, the other teams know our game plan plain and simple, but they are willing to trail most of the game so as not to tip off our side or anyone else.  Then they wait until the last five minutes to Spring their counter measures so we can not recover in time.  Don’t you guys understand?

Brilliant game planning!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »
The team lost. That is what matters. Wojo needs to fix it if he has any hope for the end of the season.

Absolutely serious question: What do you think he needs to fix?

These last three games, we had leads until just a few minutes remained. Then we got outplayed every game for a variety of reasons -- different reasons each game. Aside from the generic, "We need to play better down the stretch," what specific thing could he have done differently that would have won all three games?

If your answer is, "I don't know. He's the coach, not me, and he gets paid to figure those things out," I'd respect that!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 08:59:10 AM »
I am just now getting to watch the Seton Hall game as I was traveling all week.

The first 5 minutes were worst I have ever seen Sam Hauser play. Absolutely terrible.

For those advocating benching Markus in the 2nd half (which I have not seen yet) do you also think Sam should have been benched in the first? 

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2019, 09:03:25 AM »
Absolutely serious question: What do you think he needs to fix?

These last three games, we had leads until just a few minutes remained. Then we got outplayed every game for a variety of reasons -- different reasons each game. Aside from the generic, "We need to play better down the stretch," what specific thing could he have done differently that would have won all three games?

If your answer is, "I don't know. He's the coach, not me, and he gets paid to figure those things out," I'd respect that!
I can give you one; get better with his lineups late. Joey getting critical minutes late in each of those games has hurt us. Against Seton Hall Bailey was outplaying Joey but for some reason was watching from the bench. Same goes for Ed. He absolutely had it going but was also on the bench. That’s squarely on Wojo
No Finish Line

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »
Does anyone else see Joey's demeanor changing as the year goes on?  He looks like he is very unhappy.  Perhaps the losing streak doesn't help but Joe looks really unhappy.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
Does anyone else see Joey's demeanor changing as the year goes on?  He looks like he is very unhappy.  Perhaps the losing streak doesn't help but Joe looks really unhappy.
Frustration moreso, I suspect.

feedback