'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Young Pups  (Read 8993 times)

jsglow

• All American
The Young Pups
« on: November 30, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »
As the calendar turns to December, we've got two wet behind the ears Frosh who can play the game at a high level.  Both will play 20+ meaningful minutes during BEast conference play and three years from now both will have opponents saying 'Haven't they graduated yet?'

Discuss.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: The Young Pups
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 11:34:02 PM »
Marcus reminds me of Aaron Hutchins. Best offensive point guard at MU since I'm not sure who. And Sam is a great shooter who's solid in every phase. They'll be fun to watch for years.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 12:09:13 AM »
Marcus reminds me of Aaron Hutchins. Best offensive point guard at MU since I'm not sure who. And Sam is a great shooter who's solid in every phase. They'll be fun to watch for years.

Travis? DJ?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 12:12:39 AM »

Pump the breaks. He had a nice game against a horrendous team. He's averaging 2.7 ppg against high major opponents this year. He might be the 3rd best offensive point guard on the current roster.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »
Pump the breaks. He had a nice game against a horrendous team. He's averaging 2.7 ppg against high major opponents this year. He might be the 3rd best offensive point guard on the current roster.

And Aaron Hutchins averaged a total of 5.5 ppg as a frosh...mostly because he got better and better as the season wore on.

Given that and where Marcus is right now, I don't think Hutch is a bad comparison at all.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:28 AM »

I see some Tyus Jones in Markus and Sam just pure form on his 3's.  I'm more confident on his 3's than any other shooter on this team.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 07:47:52 AM »
It's so refreshing after the past few  seasons to have multiple guys capable of knocking down from deep.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 07:55:08 AM »
It's so refreshing after the past few  seasons to have multiple guys capable of knocking down from deep.

I posted on the game thread that we need to bring back the 3 goggles.  It's the first time I have thought of them in years.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »
And Aaron Hutchins averaged a total of 5.5 ppg as a frosh...mostly because he got better and better as the season wore on.

Given that and where Marcus is right now, I don't think Hutch is a bad comparison at all.

I was directing it at the claim that Markus is "the best offensive point guard we have had in years."  As of right now he's the 3rd best offensive point guard on the roster.  Is his ceiling the highest offensive ceiling of any point guard we've had in years?  Sure we could talk about that.

Just saying, keep in mind that in 2 of the 3 games we've played against high major opponents Markus has looked lost and overmatched.  Huge potential.  I'm not ready to say he's the best offensive point guard in a long time at MU.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 07:58:06 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 08:01:36 AM »
I posted on the game thread that we need to bring back the 3 goggles. It's the first time I have thought of them in years.

As long as they do it while sprinting back on defense.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
I posted on the game thread that we need to bring back the 3 goggles.  It's the first time I have thought of them in years.
Yes. Although I think they are more fun when you're winning at a high clip, a la, DJO flashing them when were beating down blue bloods in quite possibly the greatest conference ever constructed.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »
Yes. Although I think they are more fun when you're winning at a high clip, a la, DJO flashing them when were beating down blue bloods in quite possibly the greatest conference ever constructed.

I have a favorite picture of Jae doing one as he hustling back on defense, but I haven't been able to find it online.

Can someone help a sister out?
Have some patience, FFS.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 03:01:45 PM »
Markus 2 NBA
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »
Markus 2 NBA

I don't see it JB.  He's so small and certainly at this point his on ball D wouldn't be close to good enough.  He could develop a good enough shot as he has the range.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2016, 05:51:11 PM »
I was directing it at the claim that Markus is "the best offensive point guard we have had in years."  As of right now he's the 3rd best offensive point guard on the roster.  Is his ceiling the highest offensive ceiling of any point guard we've had in years?  Sure we could talk about that.

Just saying, keep in mind that in 2 of the 3 games we've played against high major opponents Markus has looked lost and overmatched.  Huge potential.  I'm not ready to say he's the best offensive point guard in a long time at MU.

We have 2 point guards. Markus and Traci. IMO Marcus is right now a much better offensive player than Traci. He's also better (offensively) than past PGs DW, Junior and DJ. Travis graduated in 2005. That's a pretty long time.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2016, 05:57:05 PM »
Really curious to see how Wojo and the coaching staff manage H&H's minutes.

They're gonna hit a wall sometime around late January/early February as they're not used to as many high-intensity minutes, games, travel, etc.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »
We have 2 point guards. Markus and Traci. IMO Marcus is right now a much better offensive player than Traci. He's also better (offensively) than past PGs DW, Junior and DJ. Travis graduated in 2005. That's a pretty long time.

Again, in 2 of our 3 games against major competition he's looked entirely overmatched and lost on the court.  I have no doubt he's going to be a good player for Marquette, but I trust Traci and Rowsey much more to handle the ball than I do Howard when it comes to teams that are better than the teams Howard was playing at Findlay Prep.

Against Vandy, Michigan, and Pitt he shot a combined 2-8 from the field (25%), 2-5 from 3 (40%), 8 points (2.67 per gam), 6 rebounds (2 per game), 4 assists (1.33 per game), 0 steals, 4 turnovers (1.33 per game), and 9 fouls (3 per game) in 36 minutes (12 per game).  More fouls than points, twice as many fouls as assists, as many turnovers as assists, etc.

He could prove to be a better offensive point guard than anyone in a while, but let's remember he had a great night against Western Carolina.  No, not North Carolina.  Western Carolina.

He's a freshman who at this point is better off the ball.

PS You may want to look up Dominic James's stats.  The guy was *okay* offensively.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
I don't see it JB.  He's so small and certainly at this point his on ball D wouldn't be close to good enough.  He could develop a good enough shot as he has the range.

U not understand meaning of Markus 2 NBA

But it shall be revealed

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 06:19:25 PM »
Can't stand da suspense, hey?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:30:05 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 06:24:31 PM »
Can't stand da suspence, hey?

Dat ain't in my vocab, joe

Guess good games vs weaker opps only matters for Butler's Kamar

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 06:42:45 PM »
Currently Henry Ellenson is tied with Anthony Pieper for the 10th most 3 point shots made as a freshmen. Both Markus and Sam may surpass his 30 makes before the start of conference play. Freshmen record is 57 by Diener and there is a good chance that they both surpass Diener.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 07:56:02 PM »

PS You may want to look up Dominic James's stats.  The guy was *okay* offensively.

I did - obviously you didn't. 40.8% shooter, 29.1% 3pt shooter, 62% ft shooter, 46.3 eFG%, 1.4 asst/TO ratio. Sorry, those are not *okay* stats. He was a bad shooter who shot a lot - until his senior year when he became a bad shooter who shot less.

PS - if you really think Traci Carter will ever be a better offensive player than Markus Howard is right now we're not watching the same players.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 08:00:59 PM by Lennys Tap »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 10:12:24 PM »
I did - obviously you didn't. 40.8% shooter, 29.1% 3pt shooter, 62% ft shooter, 46.3 eFG%, 1.4 asst/TO ratio. Sorry, those are not *okay* stats. He was a bad shooter who shot a lot - until his senior year when he became a bad shooter who shot less.

PS - if you really think Traci Carter will ever be a better offensive player than Markus Howard is right now we're not watching the same players.

Traci is almost doubling Markus's assist percentage, over doubling Markus's assist/turnover ratio, and shooting nearly an identical eFG%.  We must be watching different players.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »
Traci is almost doubling Markus's assist percentage, over doubling Markus's assist/turnover ratio, and shooting nearly an identical eFG%.  We must be watching different players.

Obvious to all that Traci is vastly better defensively than Markus. And you also think Traci has the edge offensively? If true, only one explanation why they're essentially splitting time - Wojo's a total idiot. I don't think so.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 10:46:14 PM »
I'm a big Traci fan. I'll be ecstatic if MH can elevate his on ball D against a quality PG. But the boy (17) can shoot the rock.

feedback