[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU MBB Futures - Buying or Selling?  (Read 8982 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: MU MBB Futures - Buying or Selling?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »
So we've see four months of Wojo, the freshmen, and DuWil in action.  We know the 2015 recruiting class coming in, pending a late addition or two.  The only thing we haven't seen is elder Ellenson.

So who's long on Marquette?  Who's short?  Who's buying?  Who's selling?

Over/under on 2015-16 losses?  Benny's paying -110 on +/-7.5
Odds of MU winning the Big East regular season next year?  Benny's paying 9:2
Over/under on MU's 2015-16 preseason ranking? Benny's paying -110 on +/-#21
Odds of MU returning to, and staying in, the upper three of the Big East for the next 3 years?  Benny's paying 12:1
Over/under on Sweet 16 appearances in the next 5 years? Benny's paying -110 on +/-2.5
Over/under on Final Four appearances in the next 5 years? Benny's paying -110 on +/-1.5
Over/under on National Championships in the next 10 years? Benny's paying -450 on -0.5, +190 on +0.5

Who wants some of this action (I say rhetorically, knowing that bookmaking on Scoop is illegal)?  You've got 100 ScoopBucks... what's your fancy?
10 bucks says MU is over 7.5 losses next year
20 bucks on MU winning BEast next year--only if odds are 10-1
20 bucks on MU preseason ranking being #21 or lower next year--meaning their ranking will be unranked pre-season
10 bucks on Sweet 16 appearances being under 2.5 next 5 years
20 bucks on Under 1.5 for Final 4 in next 5 years
20 bucks says 1 National Championship in next 10 years.
Send me all the cash now.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
There is no such thing as addition by subtraction in sports unless attitude or off the court issues are involved. Unless you are saying that we will use their scholarships to sign better players. Any player is better than an empty scholarship.

Replacing highly ineffective players with more talented players is addition by subtraction.  Duane at PG will make this team much better.  Henry at the 4 will make next year's team much better.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »
Replacing highly ineffective players with more talented players is addition by subtraction.  Duane at PG will make this team much better.  Henry at the 4 will make next year's team much better.

Derrick is not getting replaced by Duane though. Duane is here now. If Duane was the better option, he would be getting Derrick's minutes at the point. Juan is also not getting replaced by Henry. We have open scholarships, if Juan had another year, he and Henry could both be on the team.

I do agree that addition by subtraction happens when you bring in a new better player with the scholarship of an old ineffective player. But that isn't happening, not yet. If Derrick and Juan are our two worst departing players, the only way it is addition by subtraction is if we fill the remaining three scholarships with three players that are better than Juan and Derrick.

Juan and Derrick are better than empty scholarships. I hope you would at least acknowledge that much.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
I respectfully disagree with you that Wojo is a class guy. A class guy would not have thrown Deonte under the bus. Wojo  has not shown any ability to inspire the team. There is no right or wrong way to win. A win is a win a loss is a loss. As Bill Parcells says, you are what your record says you are.

The Butler coach is 17-6.......
i respectfully ask you to provide one ounce of truth to the story that wojo threw deonte under the bus.  i've asked plenty of people connected to the program, as it wouldn't be a huge confidentiality issue...no one has said anything close to what you are claiming.  i get that it's a message board, but when you call a guy out for being a bad coach it's one thing...when you call a guy out for not supporting a student athlete during the time of his mother's death it's another. 

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 04:06:45 PM »
i respectfully ask you to provide one ounce of truth to the story that wojo threw deonte under the bus.  i've asked plenty of people connected to the program, as it wouldn't be a huge confidentiality issue...no one has said anything close to what you are claiming.  i get that it's a message board, but when you call a guy out for being a bad coach it's one thing...when you call a guy out for not supporting a student athlete during the time of his mother's death it's another. 

TW likes to post a lot, but when asked to give any logical reason that he is throwing Wojo under the bus, he is nowhere to be found. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »
I honestly have no idea, leaning towards unlikely. But...if enough people get in Henry's head @ McDubs game & Hoop summit. Could Henry hypothetically open up if he had a late change of heart (very unlikely) even though he has signed his LOI?

Edit: because I do not know the ncaa rule

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
I honestly have no idea, leaning towards unlikely. But...if enough people get in Henry's head @ McDubs game & Hoop summit. Could Henry hypothetically open up if he had a late change of heart (very unlikely) even though he has signed his LOI?

Edit: because I do not know the ncaa rule

Rest easy. Henry is on his way. You have nothing to worry about.

If Henry wanted out of his LOI, it would be up to Marquette to grant him release. However, I can't imagine any situation where Marquette wouldn't grant him his release. Do you really want a player on your team who doesn't want to be there?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback