[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could Our Personnel Turnover Be LOWER with Wojo than with Buzz?  (Read 8951 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Not saying turnover is zero, just less than if Brent stayed.  If Brent stayed all the recruits come but we lose existing players (JJJ, STj and possibly more).  With Wojo, more likely to keep existing players but risk losing recruits.

If this is correct, I'll take this trade.

I'm thinking when all is said and done, our turnover will be LOWER with Wojo than if Brent stayed.

Am I wrong for thinking this?  Too much of a homer?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:16:50 PM by Heisenberg »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Could over Personal Turnover Be LOWER with Wojo than with Buzz?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
haha wow - we'll see but it's not unlikely
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »
we may keep all current players but the top rated recruiting class(es) will be in jeopardy as with every coaching change.  I would imagine Wojo will place a premium on shooting over 'switchables'

rabid652

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:01:54 PM »
Not saying turnover is zero, just less than if Brent stayed.  If Brent stayed all the recruits come but we lose existing players (JJJ, STj and possibly more).  With Wojo, more likely to keep existing players but risk losing recruits.

I'm thinking when all is said and done, our turnover will be LOWER with Wojo than if Brent stayed.

Thoughts?

Agreed.  We keep more of the current roster with Wojo than Buzz.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:04:56 PM by rabid652 »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:03:49 PM »

Thoughts?

Do we have a Duke transfer list of Wojo recruits?  It would be interesting to see all of the recruits he's gotten, where they were ranked, and how they panned out.

We also have to look at the fact that he was recruiting Top 50  4-5 star players, of which, were pretty talented.  At MU he's going to have to dig deeper and look at 3-4 star recruits outside the top 100 to round out his bench.  The question going forward is...... how well can he evaluate 3 star talent as well as develop it?  Buzz seemed to bring in names, but when they got here the carpet didn't match the drapes.  Hopefully, Wojo's experience prevents the carousel that Buzz left behind.    
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:06:20 PM by MikeDeanesDarkGlasses »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Could over Personnel Turnover Be LOWER with Wojo than with Buzz?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »
If today's STj instagram and JJJ tweet are accurate, it's looking like we are going to lose ZERO existing players.

VT under Brent looks like TWO players are bolting, including Thompson their best freshman (who is rumored to be heading to tOSU)

Now on to the recruits scoreboard

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:02:12 PM »
It would be a nice change of pace, considering (starting last year after I picked up the common trend) I was guessing which player(s) would be leaving at the conclusion of the season.  You never knew who, but you just knew someone would end up leaving.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
Agreed.  We keep more of the current roster with Wojo than Buzz.

Easily. Based on some of the things that have come out so far I would say MU was losing 4-5 players had buzz stayed. I really hope wojo makes hill and Cohen a priority. Let the other two go. They are stiffs.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
Easily. Based on some of the things that have come out so far I would say MU was losing 4-5 players had buzz stayed. I really hope wojo makes hill and Cohen a priority. Let the other two go. They are stiffs.

Pierce's size would help

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Could Our Personnel Turnover Be LOWER with Wojo than with Buzz?
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 07:14:55 PM »
Also, could this be the first summer since Brent took (2008) over that we have No defections ... and all it took was Brent leaving!!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:17:14 PM by Heisenberg »

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »
we may keep all current players but the top rated recruiting class(es) will be in jeopardy as with every coaching change.  I would imagine Wojo will place a premium on shooting over 'switchables'

I wouldn't even recognize our team.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 07:30:03 PM »
Yes.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
It would also be a nice change to not have to wonder every off season who might be leaving.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
haha wow - we'll see but it's not unlikely

Ganzer

If your Sources were any good your avatar would have Brian Cox, esteemed actor and proud Scot, savoring the taste of single malt than Alec Baldwin swilling a blend...

Breeding, taste, and erudition are always on display.

http://www.esquire.com/features/drinking/scotch-pronunciation-guide-5836909#v963665072001
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:44:42 PM by keefe »

Death on call

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »
Report Jerry Chew And Buzz burning up recruiting trail. Brent offered 2 players on March25.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »
Report Jerry Chew And Buzz burning up recruiting trail. Brent offered 2 players on March25.

Who is Jerry Chew? Isaac's brother?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »

Who is Jerry Chew? Isaac's brother?

Wainwright and Chew's love child.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »
Wainwright and Chew's love child.

lemonparty.jpg

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
Do we have a Duke transfer list of Wojo recruits?  It would be interesting to see all of the recruits he's gotten, where they were ranked, and how they panned out.

We also have to look at the fact that he was recruiting Top 50  4-5 star players, of which, were pretty talented.  At MU he's going to have to dig deeper and look at 3-4 star recruits outside the top 100 to round out his bench.  The question going forward is...... how well can he evaluate 3 star talent as well as develop it?  Buzz seemed to bring in names, but when they got here the carpet didn't match the drapes.  Hopefully, Wojo's experience prevents the carousel that Buzz left behind.    
I've always had a different understanding of the meaning of that saying.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 10:00:37 PM »
Also, could this be the first summer since Brent took (2008) over that we have No defections ... and all it took was Brent leaving!!

Quite counterintuitive.  Usually rats flee FROM a sinking ship, not TO one. 

brandx

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 12:03:58 AM »
If today's STj instagram and JJJ tweet are accurate, it's looking like we are going to lose ZERO existing players.

VT under Brent looks like TWO players are bolting, including Thompson their best freshman (who is rumored to be heading to tOSU)

Now on to the recruits scoreboard

We always thought Buzz couldn't recruit bigs. Looks like maybe he didn't want to.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 12:10:51 AM »
OT: liquor discussion moved here http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=43624.0

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »
Keefe -

I am surprised at your lack of refinement related to the wonderful world of blended scotch. I would not peg you as man to be done in by the "Hallmark Sweetest Day" type marketing created by the Scotch distillers during the 1970's in an effort to recapture the public's interest in the slowly fading scotch industry. The explosion of the single malt industry is one borne out of necessity in an effort to save market share in the liquor aisle.

The delicacy of a finely blended scotch, weaving intricate flavors and dialects through its pour, is not one to be scoffed at. If the fines grapes can be blended together to create wonderful wines that capture imaginations across the world, why cannot the same be said of fine malts and grains? In fact, as I am sure you know, most single malts derive not from a "single" malt, but rather a blend of the same malt type.

This is not to take away the joy of a delicious single malt scotch, such as the lovely Lagavulin depicted in your photo. Just don't crowd out the delightful blends that can compliment the nicest of single malts.

As with my post on psychology, I am not a master blender, but I play one on TV.

Try Balvenie 15 year old. It will make you forget the pedestrian scotches of which you speak. In actuality, I enjoy the 'morangie. But, the Balvenie 15 is a joy.

Cam

It's important to note that single malts are indeed blended whiskies, too. It's just that all of those whiskies are malts from the same distillery. And blends are really a mixture of malt and grain varieties, which are rather different snorts, from many distilleries.

So, given that background I would say that I prefer the single malt blends over what are commonly marketed as blended whiskies which mix malt and grain products from a wide variety of sources. I'm not against a blend but I really do prefer the unique character of the single malts.

I know single malts began to get traction during the Reagan era the return of conspicuous consumption but you are looking at the US market. Single malts are the drink of choice in Scotland - they export the blends which leaven out the distinctive flavors that are the soul of every Scottish village. Single malts reflect the diversity of Scotland more than even the clan tartans for Scotland is much more a concept than a nation. In fact, most of the Scottish independence sentiment is largely anti-English. And a true Highlander would rather his favorite sister marry an Irishman or a Norseman than give up his local single malt for a lowland concoction.

My paternal grandmother was a West Highlander though born in Edinburgh and she doled out splashes of whiskey, single malt of course, to the bairns at bedtime or at the first hint of a cold. And every extended family celebration had copious quantities of Oban and a variety of the eight Islays.

But of the blends I would favor Rattray Cask Islay, Usquaebach, Islay Mist 17, and Haig's Dimple Pinch. These are bolder on the nose and palate and one can discern a discrete flavor profile that identifies their regional heritage that is lost in most of the large brands.

Death on call

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 12:48:23 AM »
Wojo hasn't had time to over promise recruits or cut players out of rotations. He will have his share of transfers. You would think people would learn not to canonize our head coaches without knowing anything about them.