[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Assuming we lose one recruit and have one transfer, does MU make the tourney next year?

YES
NO
No, but we're better than 17-15 (9-9)

Author Topic: Next Year  (Read 8994 times)

insidetheleague

• Walk-On
Re: Next Year
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
But Buzz's defensive scheme was complicated as all hell. You can still preach defense first and keep it simple.

Buzz's Defense is no more complicated than any other good coach. His offense on the other hand was simpler and the freshman and Taylor Jr. struggled with learning those plays too.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »
But I don't think Buzz was good AT COACHING IT - watching some of the videos of him coaching and such - he coached defense like someone who never played the game - only studied it
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:53:13 PM by CAGASS24 »

Shark

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:44 PM »
Buzz's Defense is no more complicated than any other good coach. His offense on the other hand was simpler and the freshman and Taylor Jr. struggled with learning those plays too.

Assuming you know anything, please tell us why Jamil (who should of known the offense and defense as good as anyone) struggled so badly at the end of the year? Also, why was Gardner such a defensive liability despite being a senior? Why was Chris Otule so poor on offense? You act like the freshmen were clueless but I can sit here and argue the same for the seniors.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
I personally hated Buzz's offense. Especially this last year that 4 out perimeter with just passing the ball around looking for skips.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 04:02:59 PM »
Fischer transfer, Duane is healthy, Steve is healthy, Hill and Cohen will probably stay, other recruits are meh anyways. You have no right to comment since you dont even follow the program as close as we do. Plus I would argue that Duane is a better shooter than Jake.

Sure I don't follow as closely as most but probably as closely as plenty of people who comment here.

Fischer isn't eligible until after OOC play and as you saw this year your season can be pretty much already over at that point and until then your front court currently consists of Steve Taylor Jr and no one else +/- Pierce who isn't likely to be an impact player as a freshman. And it's not like Fischer is a proven commodity, a consensus top 100 recruit.

How can you argue Duane is a better shooter when he's never played? off of high school numbers at a different three point line?

Look obviously you're going to be optimistic about your team. And I'm not trying to convince anyone not to be. It's part of being a fan. Just providing an outside perspective. With all the recruits up in the air and the possibility of losing current players from the team to transfer due to the coaching change on paper from the outside it seems like Marquette and Creighton are the two big east teams who seem to most likely to be worse than last year. But the games are not played on paper and I hope Marquette is able to overachieve and help the BE be strong. I'm just sharing my opinion.  

Shark

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 04:06:59 PM »
Sure I don't follow as closely as most but probably as closely as plenty of people who comment here.

Fischer isn't eligible until after OOC play and as you saw this year your season can be pretty much already over at that point and until then your front court currently consists of Steve Taylor Jr and no one else +/- Pierce who isn't likely to be an impact player as a freshman. And it's not like Fischer is a proven commodity, a consensus top 100 recruit.

How can you argue Duane is a better shooter when he's never played? off of high school numbers at a different three point line?

Look obviously you're going to be optimistic about your team. And I'm not trying to convince anyone not to be. It's part of being a fan. Just providing an outside perspective. With all the recruits up in the air and the possibility of losing current players from the team to transfer due to the coaching change on paper from the outside it seems like Marquette and Creighton are the two big east teams who seem to most likely to be worse than last year. But the games are not played on paper and I hope Marquette is able to overachieve and help the BE be strong. I'm just sharing my opinion.  

Duane is an amazing shooter. Watched him play his sophomore, junior, and senior years here in Wisconsin. Sure, shooting wont translate 100% over, as he shot over 50% from 3 his senior year. But I can promise he will still add some versatility to an offense that had very little last year. Jake Thomas and Derrick provided strengths at a couple roles but had glaring weaknesses as well. Duane at least appears to have less glaring weaknesses and his ceiling is very high.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 04:47:46 PM »
Duane is an amazing shooter. Watched him play his sophomore, junior, and senior years here in Wisconsin. Sure, shooting wont translate 100% over, as he shot over 50% from 3 his senior year. But I can promise he will still add some versatility to an offense that had very little last year. Jake Thomas and Derrick provided strengths at a couple roles but had glaring weaknesses as well. Duane at least appears to have less glaring weaknesses and his ceiling is very high.

Markus, you should embed that gif into your signature (like JakeBarnes does with supermarket spiderman).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »

Not a proven commodity, but Fischer was 71st in the RSCI rankings and thus very much a consensus top 100 recruit.
One service (ESPN) ranked him 34th in the country.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
You bet your sweet ass we do!  Let's go Marquette!

Hmmm you said sweet in your post, does that mean you would see Mu in the sweet 16? Damn that would be elite.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
Hmmm you said sweet in your post, does that mean you would see Mu in the sweet 16? Damn that would be elite.

Hmmm you said elite in your post, does that mean you would see MU in the Elite 8? Damn that would put the final touches on next season!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

hoyasincebirth

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
Not a proven commodity, but Fischer was 71st in the RSCI rankings and thus very much a consensus top 100 recruit.
One service (ESPN) ranked him 34th in the country.

Sorry if I was unclear. I was saying he was just a top 100 recruit as in not a top 25 sure fire recruit or even a top 50 recruit.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
Markus, you should embed that gif into your signature (like JakeBarnes does with supermarket spiderman).

I don't know how..   :-[

insidetheleague

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
Assuming you know anything, please tell us why Jamil (who should of known the offense and defense as good as anyone) struggled so badly at the end of the year? Also, why was Gardner such a defensive liability despite being a senior? Why was Chris Otule so poor on offense? You act like the freshmen were clueless but I can sit here and argue the same for the seniors.

Just because they know the offense and defense doesn't make them great at it. The seniors knew their positions thoroughly and knew where they had to be on any given play. Buzz preached playing together on a string and when players came in and didn't know where they had to be, they would mess up the whole offense and defense. Hence the quick trigger on subs. Not saying that's the right way to coach but that's how he coaches. But to the original point, the freshman struggled with defense. Taylor Jr. and Johnson struggled with knowing the plays on offense. Duane was not expected to play big minutes even going into the season for those reasons as well.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2014, 06:17:35 PM »
Hmmm you said elite in your post, does that mean you would see MU in the Elite 8? Damn that would put the final touches on next season!

Hmmm... you said final in your post, does that mean you see us in the final four? That would be the icing on the cake we need to right this 'ship.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 06:24:26 PM »
Just because they know the offense and defense doesn't make them great at it. The seniors knew their positions thoroughly and knew where they had to be on any given play. Buzz preached playing together on a string and when players came in and didn't know where they had to be, they would mess up the whole offense and defense. Hence the quick trigger on subs. Not saying that's the right way to coach but that's how he coaches. But to the original point, the freshman struggled with defense. Taylor Jr. and Johnson struggled with knowing the plays on offense. Duane was not expected to play big minutes even going into the season for those reasons as well.

I expect Wojo to bring a more rational analysis on who deserves more playing time. It seemed like Buzz was losing his marbles this season, that's all I'm trying to say.

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
Hmmm... you said final in your post, does that mean you see us in the final four? That would be the icing on the cake we need to right this 'ship.

All is complete in this world. We now know what will happen.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
I don't know how..   :-[

Quote me.  That will show you the syntax.  Then copy and paste it

feedback