'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Chicago Trib: Xavier, Butler, Creighton should be official Wed or Thurs  (Read 8977 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: Chicago Trib: Xavier, Butler, Creighton should be official Wed or Thurs
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 11:00:57 PM »
Omaha World Herald reporting that Creighton is accepting Big East invite!!!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130315/BLUEJAYS/703159855/1070#creighton-to-accept-big-east-invite

Congrats Jet!  Glad to see you guys joining the conference!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »
X and Butler are clearly the best 2 teams to add.  I think Creighton is also pretty clearly third.  Best recent history.  Rough stretch in the 90's but fairly regular tourney participant.  Great fan support (over 16k per game), brings in a completely new market, stretches the footprint etc.  

After that it gets pretty murky. Two of the next 3 will likely be added.  

Dayton has 7 (though 4 since 2000) tourney appearances and 5 wins since MU won their Championship, a long time ago.  They have great fan support, about 12k per game.  They are in a market, while separate, is not totally new for the conference.  Catholic school.

SLU has 6 tourney appearances since Harry Truman left office, though they are about to make it 2 in a row.  They add a new, big market, though lets be honest, in St. Louis it is the Cards and everything else.  They add some western balance for Creighton.  Jesuit school.  About 8K per game.

Richmond has 9 tourney appearances, all since 1984, and 3 since 2000, sweet sixteen in 2011.  Not a new market, but they do add some more eastern balance, and possible a nod to the wishes of Georgetown.  Private school.  They have averaged less than 6k per game this season.  

I understand the UDPride dude is a complete joke, and it is fun to tweak em, but I don't understand the hate for them and the love for Richmond.  

To me it is really a pretty much a wash after Creighton.  If anything, the opportunity to help another very similar Catholic school should be another plus for Dayton over Richmond.

That guy was pretty douchey though...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »
It really is too bad that Duke has football, they really would make a great addition to the conference.  A NC team would be a great addition.

edit:  I realize they are in the ACC and unlikely to leave, was really trying to highlight that a NC team would be a nice addition.  Duke having tradition and being a private would make a lot of sense.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 02:21:48 AM »
After Creighton it is a wash. The thing is I do not wave to dirty myself with a crappy team from Noonegivesacrap, OH.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 02:34:42 AM »
It really is too bad that Duke has football, they really would make a great addition to the conference.  A NC team would be a great addition.

edit:  I realize they are in the ACC and unlikely to leave, was really trying to highlight that a NC team would be a nice addition.  Duke having tradition and being a private would make a lot of sense.

ND!

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 08:59:40 AM »

McIlvaine wrote how we should try to get Wake, but, of course, they have football.  When Maryland settles, and the ACC implodes, maybe we can hope for Wake, but they'd have to relegate their football to FCS, which I doubt they'd do.  They'd probably link up with Uconn, Cincy, et al at that point.

Davidson would possibly be another option, but you don't hear it being discussed much

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
Another gem from the Dayton board:
"I guess the real concern is that if the BE stays at 10 for good the A10 will likely lose SLU to the MVC. Though even if that happens, a 10 team BE would be only marginally better than a revamped A10 on the court (if at all)."

So apparently
VCU= Georgetown
St. Joes = Marquette
La Salle = Villanova
Charlotte = Butler
Dayton = Xavier
Richmond = Creighton
St. Bonaventures = St. John's
Rhode Island = Providence
Duquense = Seton Hall
Fordam = De Paul

Those evaluations seem about right to me.   ::)

I think we actually want Dayton in the conference now.  Their fans are amusing as heck. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
McIlvaine wrote how we should try to get Wake, but, of course, they have football.  When Maryland settles, and the ACC implodes, maybe we can hope for Wake, but they'd have to relegate their football to FCS, which I doubt they'd do.  They'd probably link up with Uconn, Cincy, et al at that point.

Davidson would possibly be another option, but you don't hear it being discussed much

Davidson isn't ready to make the big jump them and Belmont should try to go to the A10 though and maybe in time we can pillage them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
I refuse to say congrats or welcome until Larry House gets put on your Creighton signature

or Larry Horse.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 04:05:12 PM »
Seriously, stay at 10 right now. Run the A-10 like our minor league system for the next decade.

Wait 3-4 years. Promote the best two performers in that time. Wait another 3 years. Bring up 2 more. Do it all the way to 16 teams if you want.

But make the teams prove themselves. Demand NCAA bids in the years prior. Don't rush it to 12 right now. Dayton or Richmond haven't earned it yet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:08:07 PM by Victor McCormick »

The Process

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
I think we actually want Dayton in the conference now.  Their fans are amusing as heck. 

They make a perfect replacement for WVU - although I wonder if we'll have to provide the couches for their fans to burn after each loss.  That's a *lot* of potential couches.  Would Fox agree to pick up the tab?

Davidson isn't ready to make the big jump

Hopefully we can prove that point on Thursday.
Relax. Respect the Process.

MULawAlum

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
It's amazing how perfectly this has all come together.  I can't imagine it playing out any better than it did.  Should be a fun league.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »

You're right - Avid Flyer put in this gem on Saturday on their delusional "UD in Big East in 2014!" thread:

"Well were up to .04 cents now. Adding mine too. Not just a couple schools on the east, its a whole band of Jesuit schools to which they are adding two and possibly a 3rd in SLU. Dayton is essentially toast as far as the NBE is concerned and I don't want us to be a beetch to those Jesuit schools. Georgetwon and Maquette have become the bullies of the new conference. I would rather us stay with the A-10 or go to the old BE (American 12) for the east coast exposure."

At least his last sentence is a better representation of their likely future than delusions of joining us.

If we go a little farther down on that page, we find Angry John's rant:

"I am getting the feeling that I would trust UC, Memphis, Temple and UConn more than I would those crooked Jesuit clowns of Georgetown, Marquette and Xavier.

If it is discovered that Xavier is attempting to keep us out of the "New Big East", I would no longer play them in an out of conference game. Screw them ! If their is some sort of collusion and defamation of character going on, I would not rule out a lawsuite. We have sued Marquette, DePaul and UC before."

I have some questions here:

1. What is a "lawsuite?"  Is that where lawyers stay to consummate their contracts, like the Sybaris for affairs?
2. Based on his "logic," shouldn't UC and UCONN be suing the ACC for not being allowed in?
3. How long until this winds up on UDPride's board so they can get mad and burn couches?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
When did Dayton sue us before?

The Process

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »

Good question.  And while we're at it, they talk about how they've sued UC before yet they trust them more than us "crooked Jesuit clowns?"  Perhaps Angry John might be best off taking a sojourn to the Sybaris to... ahem... blow off some steam?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:07 PM »
Good question.  And while we're at it, they talk about how they've sued UC before yet they trust them more than us "crooked Jesuit clowns?"  Perhaps Angry John might be best off taking a sojourn to the Sybaris to... ahem... blow off some steam?

It is Dayton, so my guess would be more blowing and less steam.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
It is Dayton, so my guess would be more blowing and less steam.

Unless they were to go for a ride on the old-time steamer the SS Cleveland...

mug644

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2013, 11:24:09 PM »
Huh? SLU isn't fighting with Dayton. SLU is in easily over Dayton. It's Dayton v Richmond v VCU.

If SLU was coming to the New Big East, wouldn't they also have left the same A10 meeting that Butler and Xavier left?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2013, 05:41:37 AM »
4ever manages the sybaris in the quon, maybe he can comp them a suite or two

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2013, 06:58:02 AM »
Sounds like they are gonna tell mommy and daddy if we don't let them play with us.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2013, 07:04:34 AM »
4ever manages the sybaris in the quon, maybe he can comp them a suite or two

sybaris?  I know it as the soak and poke.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »
Sounds like they are gonna tell mommy and daddy if we don't let them play with us.

Papa Francis is on our side for this one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:30 AM »
I find it interesting how so many are now 100% on the SLU bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, they have had a couple good years, but I want to make sure they have a long-term commitment to the program and would really like to see where they go in the coaching search. Jim Crews has done fine with Majerus' players, but will he be able to recruit? They have one 2-star committed for 2013. This is a program that has been to the tournament only 6 times since the 1960s.

There is upside there, but honestly, I'm not convinced they belong in over Dayton. The vociferous Flyers fans may be repugnant, but they come out in force and support the hell out of that program. Dayton's basketball program brings in more revenue than Georgetown, Xavier, Villanova, or Butler. Maybe the step up to an elite league will allow Archie Miller to really kick the program up a notch.

Of course...many thought that DePaul moving to the Big East would let them kick it up a notch too, so there's that...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2013, 07:52:19 AM »

And on what basis would they sue us now?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »

Wasn't there a dispute about a return game between Crean and Gregory? I don't remember the specifics. Maybe that was it?