Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mbakwe vs. Crean  (Read 9126 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Mbakwe vs. Crean
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Minnesota looking like they're going to beat Indiana.

Trevor has 16 rebounds. Could've used that at MU (- the 'tude).

Wonder what they'll say to each other...
SS Marquette

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
Re: Mbakwe vs. Crean
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
Minnesota looking like they're going to beat Indiana.

Trevor has 16 rebounds. Could've used that at MU (- the 'tude).

Wonder what they'll say to each other...

Even with the PG black hole, MU would be a top 15 team with Trevor.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »

how about Crean walking off the court w/o shaking hands. tubby was looking for him.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »
Mbakwe is a beast, but doesnt get used well enough. Much like Rodney on that team. Not sure what the deal is.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »
Mbakwe, is and always be a crapdick.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »

how about Crean walking off the court w/o shaking hands. tubby was looking for him.

I noticed that too. I was wondering if he was searching out Mbakwe to talk to him before going through the line, but then again he could just stop him in the line and they talked prior to the game the commentator said. It didn't show the line long enough to tell for certain if Crean ditched. Does he have any ill-will towards Tubby?

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:06 PM »

To me it looked like he made a beeline for the ref that called that last foul, on Rivers maybe? with about 4 seconds left....but it looked like he was headed for the ref and they did not show the line long enough on TV to see if he made it back in line....but Tubby did look kind of confused by shaking hands with a player then an asst. coach.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:21:18 PM »
To simplify things, why doesn't someone just report when Crean actually does shake the opposition's hands after losing a game. Oh, and he's also a crapdick.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:24 PM »
Once again Tom Crean's teams played their usual hack fest defense - committing 20 fouls and sending MN to the line 28 times..compared to IU's 12 attempts.  Hard to win ball games when your team consistently sends the opposition to the free throw line 16 more times..game after game after game....see this game, Ohio State, Penn State..all had the opposition shooting 16+ more free throws per game.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »
To me it looked like he made a beeline for the ref that called that last foul, on Rivers maybe? with about 4 seconds left....but it looked like he was headed for the ref and they did not show the line long enough on TV to see if he made it back in line....but Tubby did look kind of confused by shaking hands with a player then an asst. coach.

Crean went after the ref, who was under the basket.  Never saw him again.

Tubby Smith is calm, collective and makes nice substitutions.
Crean is a maniac, can't sit still, yells and subs like crazy.
What a contrast in coaching style.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
Even with the PG black hole, MU would be a top 15 team with Trevor.

If Trevor stayed at MU, wouldn't he have used up his eligibility last year?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
To simplify things, why doesn't someone just report when Crean actually does shake the opposition's hands after losing a game. Oh, and he's also a crapdick.

So now we get to the heart of Mbakwe vs. Crean...   who is the bigger crapdick?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
If Trevor stayed at MU, wouldn't he have used up his eligibility last year?

He'd be a senior right now at MU.

In hindsight, I bet Crean is glad he burned Trevor's redshirt!   ;D

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »
Murs, he would be a senior.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

They can go A-T-M on each other for all I care.   >:(

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 09:53:44 PM »
If Crean stayed, our likely starting lineup would be Mbakwe, Tyshaun Taylor, Nick Williams, Scott Christopherson and X.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
If Crean stayed, our likely starting lineup would be Mbakwe, Tyshaun Taylor, Nick Williams, Scott Christopherson and X.   

X=Otule

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 10:06:29 PM »

It's a Big Ten thing.........TCU coach complained that Wisconsin football coach didn't shake hands at Rose Bowl

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/After-winning-Rose-bowl-TCU-Horned-Frogs-deserve-piece-of-national-title-010111

mviale

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:06 PM »
Is the next Indiana game a must win?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUshrooms

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:37 PM »

It's a Big Ten thing.........TCU coach complained that Wisconsin football coach didn't shake hands at Rose Bowl

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/After-winning-Rose-bowl-TCU-Horned-Frogs-deserve-piece-of-national-title-010111

I watched that game and Bielema definitely shook hands with the TCU coach after the game.  I'm guessing the article refers to some of the players.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
I noticed that too. I was wondering if he was searching out Mbakwe to talk to him before going through the line, but then again he could just stop him in the line and they talked prior to the game the commentator said. It didn't show the line long enough to tell for certain if Crean ditched. Does he have any ill-will towards Tubby?

not sure that is the case. Mbakwes fb status: "Hell yeah good win tonight it feels good to end the losing streak and beat my ex coach lol have a safe night everybody"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »

Only for people here that think he's getting fired at the end of the season.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 01:24:25 AM »
FWI Mbakwe was just #7 on the SC Top 10.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:03 AM »

X= Maurice Creek

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 06:36:36 AM »
X= Maurice Creek

Poor kid, he looks rough out there this season.  Hope he can get back to somewhere in the ballpark of where he was at the beginning of his freshman year... but it isn't going to happen this year. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »
X= Maurice Creek

I don't think that is a guarantee. I thought Creek said that he liked Crean, but wasn't sure he wanted to play for him at MU. Once he left for Indiana it was a much easier decision for him. I think that was the same for Capobianco as well.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »

Thats ridiculous. Maybe its just a douche bag thing.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 07:56:47 AM »

That would have been a very solid lineup - whether it was Otule or Maurice Creek as the "x."  I'd have a hard time choosing between that lineup and our current lineup - which one I'd prefer.  Close call.

Crowder vs Mbakwe
DJO vs Soctty C
Jimmy Butler vs Nick Williams
Buycks vs Ty Talor

Tough calls to make..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »

Well, based on the size of their hands and feet...I'd have to go with Mbakwe, by a mile.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 08:25:31 AM »
That would have been a very solid lineup - whether it was Otule or Maurice Creek as the "x."  I'd have a hard time choosing between that lineup and our current lineup - which one I'd prefer.  Close call.

Crowder vs Mbakwe
DJO vs Soctty C
Jimmy Butler vs Nick Williams
Buycks vs Ty Talor

Tough calls to make..

I would take djo over scott c and Butler over Williams. Crowder and Mbakwe are a wash to me and not comparable because they do different things.  Taylor over buycks just because he has more up side.

by the way it is no guarantee that Crean would have kept Mbakwe, wasn't he ready to come back for Buzz? also didn't Williams transfer away from Crean?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 09:05:29 AM »
Taylor over buycks just because he has more up side.

Maybe more upside, but also more baggage. 
Point Plankin.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »

First, I think there's some confusion between seasons.   It's not a Crowder versus Mbakwe or DJO versus Christopherson situation.  In 2008, when Chirsopherson, Taylor and N Williams left, their scholarships were filled with Jimmy Butler and Liam McMorrow.  So the first tradeoff is whether you want the pair of Butler and Liam instead of Scott C., N Williams, and Tyshawn Taylor.   

Obviously someone else had to leave that first season, and as Hariy mentioned, it looked like it was going to be Mbakwe.

Second, I don't believe the other comparisons can be waived off as "or" rather than "and".  Given that Buzz was the primary recruiter for Crean,  he would have still found Crowder and Buycks.  That meant we offer Buycks instead of having a late late scholarship available for Mbao.  We could still take Crowder to complement Mbakwe for 2010-11, and then not take either Smith or Jones.

I think one would have to acknowledge that we still had a good shot at landing DJO anyway--his recruitment was started by Crean when DJO was a junior in HS in NC.  Contrary to popular belief, he was not discovered by Buzz--he was on MU's radar already. 
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42310512.html
From DJO himself:
"Since my junior year in high school I've been interested in Marquette. That's when Tom Crean was there. They were recruiting me my junior year. I played some summer ball, I kept getting attention from them, and I really liked their style of play."

Finally, I think one has to acknowledge that we were the leader for Wilson for a long time--we probably would have had him right out of HS.  We also probably would have seen Hazel and N. Williams leave.

So here's my guess as the "what might have been" lineup:

Seniors:
Fulce
Christopherson
Buycks

Juniors:
Taylor
DJO
Crowder

Sophs:
Copabianco or Creek
E Williams
Otule
Cadougan
J. Wilson

Frosh:
Blue
Gardner

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
That's all, of course, assuming that Buzz would've stayed and been able to land those guys as an assistant...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »
I don't think that is a guarantee. I thought Creek said that he liked Crean, but wasn't sure he wanted to play for him at MU. Once he left for Indiana it was a much easier decision for him. I think that was the same for Capobianco as well.

Nothing is a guarantee, but I would have bet my money that it was Creek.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »
X= Maurice Creek

sounds about right for an I4 lineup.  4 guards and a forward.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 07:27:21 PM »

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=170&f=2353&t=7003712

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 03:45:47 AM »

Nope Crean will get at least until 2014 rolls around...     the idiot AD gave Crean a 10 year contract that IU cannot afford to buy out. 

Here is Crean's contract info ..   buyout info at the bottom.

Now that the ink has dried on Tom Crean’s 10-year deal, we’ve taken a closer look at the document and have a Cliff’s Notes version for those of you that didn’t feel inclined to dig through all 22 pages:

– The compliance language is plentiful. Crean is responsible for the coaching staff, players and all other individuals under his direct or indirect supervision. In the event that Crean becomes aware of a compliance issue, he’s required to report it in writing to the Athletic Director.

– Section 2.02 deals with rules violations and the consequences if a violation occurs. Essentially, the language reads that if Crean, an assistant coach, a player or a staff member is involved in a NCAA rules violation, IU reserves the right to suspend him without pay or terminate his employment.

– IU agreed to pay up to $650,000 of his buyout to Marquette.

– Crean’s base salary is $600,000 annually. He’ll be paid monthly.

– Crean’s wife and children will be able to travel on the university dime to all away games, including tournaments.

– Crean will receive two “late model” automobiles for his use.

– Crean will receive eight season tickets to home men’s basketball games and at his request, he can receive up to 60 lower level tickets to all home games. For road games, Crean will receive eight tickets. Additionally, he’ll get eight tickets to all postseason games, eight tickets to all home football games and eight tickets to any other home IU sporting event.

– For his marketing and promotional efforts, Crean will be compensated as follows:

* Year 1: $1,400,000
    * Year 2: $1,480,000
    * Year 3: $1,560,000
    * Year 4: $1,640,000
    * Year 5: $1,720,000
    * Year 6: $1,800,000
    * Year 7: $1,880,000
    * Year 8: $1,960,000
    * Year 9: $2,040,000
    * Year 10: $2,120,000

– Crean is allowed to pursue outside endorsement opportunities approved by the Athletic Director, but he must report a detailed earnings report on or before June 30 each year.

– Crean will be compensated as followed for on the court success:

* Big Ten regular season title: $125,000
    * Big Ten Tournament title: $50,000
    * NCAA Tournament appearance: $25,000
    * NCAA Tournament round of 32: $25,000
    * NCAA Tournament Sweet 16: $35,000 (each assistant will receive one month’s salary as a bonus)
    * NCAA Tournament Elite Eight: $50,000
    * NCAA Tournament Final Four: $125,000
    * NCAA Tournament Championship: $250,000

– If Crean decides to leave Indiana, he’ll owe the school $3,000,000 if he departs in his first three seasons, $2,000,000 in years four and five and $1,000,000 thereafter until the contract expires.

– The termination legal speak begins on page 11 of the document. The gist is that IU has the deal set up in a way that any notice of a NCAA rules violation gives cause to fire Crean. We can also refer to this as the “Kelvin Sampson provisions” portion of the contract. Hopefully the lawyer who forgot to include this type of strict language in Sampson’s deal has been fired.

– In the event that Michael McRobbie is removed or resigns from his seat as President of IU, Crean has the right to renegotiate the termination portion of the deal.

And finally, in the unlikely event that IU decides to get rid of Crean without just cause, the school will owe him the lesser of $3 million or his base salary for the years remaining on the deal.

A truly bad contract.....      Crean has not earned a dime yet and we are stuck with him for another 7 years.   :(
"I better walk before they make me run"

CrimsonNCrean

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 03:48:05 AM »
Oh and by the way Crean darted after a ref after the Minny game and he did find Tubby later....
"I better walk before they make me run"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 11:03:28 AM »
– Crean will be compensated as followed for on the court success:

* Big Ten regular season title: $125,000
    * Big Ten Tournament title: $50,000
    * NCAA Tournament appearance: $25,000
    * NCAA Tournament round of 32: $25,000
    * NCAA Tournament Sweet 16: $35,000 (each assistant will receive one month’s salary as a bonus)
    * NCAA Tournament Elite Eight: $50,000
    * NCAA Tournament Final Four: $125,000
    * NCAA Tournament Championship: $250,000

Those were pretty safe bets for IU to make....

feedback