'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dave Singleton  (Read 8968 times)

MUBalla23

• Starter
Dave Singleton
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »
Could he have a shot at getting some major playing time over the span of his college career at marquette?

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Dave Singleton
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Between a stellar incoming class and intriguing transfers, I've had little time to consider Singleton and probably won't for a long time.

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
Watching him play on Saturday, he's smooth, runs the court well, and looks like he "blends" into whatever game is played on the court.  He has a size/speed combination that will be great in defending taller point guards, or in a "scramble" defensive package.  I can't believe that these guys appear to be dropping from the sky like this....Jamil Wilson and Dave Singleton.  Is there a message "out there" that getting to the next level runs through MU now since the recent draft successes?  If so, it's a great time to be a Warrior fan!!6

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
Could he have a shot at getting some major playing time over the span of his college career at marquette?

Think about it. Really hope not.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rico49

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:59:06 AM »
After seeing the light bench the last 4-6 years, I do believe that the next level means better athletes and better competition on the team.  The next level looks good to me, or do you see some impending doom in my thinking?

Galway03

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
 David is, in my mind, some tough competition away from being pretty darn good. I don't know if MU will ever scholarship him or that he will contribute on a major level. The bottom line on David is he is a pretty good baller and an even better person and I wouldn't discount his desire to excel.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »

4ever.....have you seen him in person??..didn't think so...he's very good for a walkon..he will contribute after he sits this year out and I don't just mean garbage minutes.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
Singleton may be very good. That's not the point I was was trying to make. He's a walk-on. For Dave to play in meaningful games would imply Buzz hasn't recruited better guards than him. That's why I said, "I hope not."
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:44:39 PM »
Singleton has done nicely at the Pro-Am, but "major" minutes as per the oringinal post in this thread seems unlikely.  He did not exactly excel in his 2 years at High Point and did not start as a soph.  Will provide depth though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:51:39 PM by Nukem2 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
I don't know if he'll ever get significant minutes, but if someone goes down with an injury, he appears to be a great replacement!!!
SS Marquette

Galway03

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »
  I don't post much but let me point out that sometimes players improve a great deal as they mature. That doesn't mean that a high school senior no matter how much fanfare is going to always be better than a 4th year junior or a 5th year senior. That also doesn't mean that Coach Williams isn't recruiting great talent. It simply means that a player, like Singleton, has worked hard, took chances, matured well and is now better than the incoming freshman with the hype.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
4ever.....have you seen him in person??..didn't think so...he's very good for a walkon..he will contribute after he sits this year out and I don't just mean garbage minutes.
As I posted in another thread:

Re: The Milwaukee Pro Am Highlight Thread
« Reply #53 on: Today at 11:07:31 AM »
Quote  Modify
Why would we give a scholarship to a kid who's paying his own way? Everyone keeps saying "He's better than nothing" as their reasoning to give him a scholarship. News flash: he's already on the team. Not giving a scholarship to a recruit and giving one to him instead would be resulting in getting nothing more than we have now, since we already have Singleton. I don't mean to rip the guy apart but I know a lot of people who could look good on a team with Ouse and Blue playing against a lot of Juco level players. There's a reason he was at a very low major school originally and wasn't even being offered by mid-majors even after he decided to transfer. Why would a team that is looking to move to the highest level give a scholarship to that type of player, especially a guard when we're STACKED at guard.

I'm sorry, but no, we should not give him a scholarship. Just because he crossed some Juco level players in a playground setting does bot make him a Big East caliber player. I'm really glad he's on the team, but that's because he's a major upgrade from our past walk-one and he'll help for practice purposes. He will not play a major roll I. Big games.

And yes, I have seen him play live before. I watched a team with him, Vander Blue, and Ouse trail through the 1st half to a team full of Rob Frozena's (Rob was on the other teams). I went to the other gym for the 2nd half so maybe they picked it up then, but it was far from impressive. Ouse was easily the best player on the court. Did the kid have nice streetball handles against streetball D? Sure. That doesn't get it done in the Big East though. I also saw him get lit up by a Carroll College guard. Not good n
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
Singleton may be very good. That's not the point I was was trying to make. He's a walk-on. For Dave to play in meaningful games would imply Buzz hasn't recruited better guards than him. That's why I said, "I hope not."

Root for Singleton, not against him.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 01:39:37 PM »
From past information on Singleton his family is well to do enough to be able to attend Marquette as a walk on.  He is a scholarship player at many other DI schools.  In his interview he clearly wants to compete for playing time.  If he proves he deserves playing time in practice he should get playing time.  If he is getting major minutes and his skill level is not high enough to help the team win games, then that is an issue with Buzz.

Galway03

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
  If Singleton is a viable contributor to the MU program a year from now then why wouldn't you scholarship him. It would seem to me that it would be disrespectful to not offer a scholarship to a player who is giving you a contribution that is on a par with other scholarship players. That being said,  David Singleton has gotten a lot of peoples attention so there must be some fire where the smoke has been sighted.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:32:22 PM by Galway03 »

Galway03

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »
 It looks like Singleton may be helping to lead his team to a Pro-Am league championship.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 08:59:30 AM »
This is pick up ball with no team defense being played and when I've seen him he hasn't been all that impressive and you can see his physical limitations.

This is a kid who averaged 5 ppg at High Point in his first two years in the Big South conference.  Saw decrease in his stats from year 1 to 2.   Very good walk on but not BE caliber. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
 If Singleton is a viable contributor to the MU program a year from now then why wouldn't you scholarship him. It would seem to me that it would be disrespectful to not offer a scholarship to a player who is giving you a contribution that is on a par with other scholarship players. That being said,  David Singleton has gotten a lot of peoples attention so there must be some fire where the smoke has been sighted.

I can't see him being scholarshipped. We simply have too many guys already on scholarship, and if he can afford to pay his way, why use up a scholarship? If he suddenly bursts up and becomes our starting point guard, then I could see it. If he's better than guys like Blue and Cadougan, then alright, but what are the odds of that?

I definitely liked what I saw out of Singleton at the Pro-Am. He didn't look at all out of his depth and considering his experience I feel he could be a valuable contributor in the Fall 2011 - Spring 2013 years. But by valuable contributor, I would say averaging maybe 5 mpg to give a rest to the starting guards, while maybe occasionally stepping up to 15-20 mpg on a night where either he's incredibly hot, injuries have forced us to lean on the bench, or we're leading West Eastern State by 37 at halftime.

He might be better than the average walk-on, but that doesn't mean he's going to be more deserving of a schollie than the guys Buzz recruited.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 09:35:13 AM »
I think Wilson also average around 5 points and everybody thinks he is going to be a stud. Singleton plays every pro am game. Wilson keeps getting hurt and does not play.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
I think Wilson also average around 5 points and everybody thinks he is going to be a stud. Singleton plays every pro am game. Wilson keeps getting hurt and does not play.

Are you serious?

I know we like to pump up our own players, heck some were calling Mbao all-BE potential, but some of you guys need to come back down to reality.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
Let's just make an easy prediction here:

Singleton is a walk-on. He will not get a single minute more playing time then a scholarship player.

Jamil Wilson can average ten points a game, right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
If he can play defense and not turn the ball over he will play alot.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
Bilsu is right in identifying turnovers as key.  He has played well against big east and acc schools, and scored well against auburn.  Clearly he can be a defensive force so there will be situations where he is a ey to running opponents into the ground with enough bodies to play a much faster pace than last year. The one negative he has had in those big games was too many turnovers on the offensive end, so that is what he will have to improve to get real minutes assuming they become available.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 02:28:55 PM »
He has 16 months to prepare himself.  I reserve all judgement on playing time for another 16 months.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »
He has 16 months to prepare himself.  I reserve all judgement on playing time for another 16 months.

Have you considered reserving judgment for 5 years?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
If Dave Singleton was worthy of BE minutes, he'd be playing under scholarship somewhere. Get your heads out of the clouds.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
Have you considered reserving judgment for 5 years?
Maybe I should with your superior wisdom.

MedicineHatSpanker

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »

Concur. The Trillion Club walk-on at Ohio State looks pretty damn good in practice, too. He also doesn't get on court during B10 play.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
Singleton is what he is: a very solid walk-on.  We will see what he can do in the future.  Until then. . .

feedback