[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting  (Read 8965 times)

Fred Garvin

• All American
Recruiting
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
I love what Buzz is doing recruiting wise,but it is unreal when you hear Georgetown has 4 McDonals AA's.Man,we get excitited when a potential AA has interest in coming hear.Were doing great with the players that are coming here

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »
We need bigs, and why can't we recruit McDonald's All Americans? After all, We are...Marquette!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:13:27 PM »
Wasn't Doc Rivers our last McDonald's AA? That's 30 years ago.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »
We need bigs, and why can't we recruit McDonald's All Americans? After all, We are...Marquette!

We're just not high profile enough yet. And AA's are used to winning....and they want to keep that going in college. I had no idea that the last tournament we won was in 97 (gulp).

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »
A majority of teams in the Big East are drawing McDonald AA's.  Problem is, it's nearly impossible to draw that kind of talent to Milwaukee, WI, and to make things more difficult, the midwest doesn't produce very many and when they do they're recruited hard by the best programs in the country.  Recruiting is a tough business.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:23:51 PM »
I love what Buzz is doing recruiting wise,but it is unreal when you hear Georgetown has 4 McDonals AA's.Man,we get excitited when a potential AA has interest in coming hear.Were doing great with the players that are coming here

Whats more...the team we beat last night has 5 McDonalds All American

Dominic Cheek (2009)
Malik Wayans (2009)
Corey Stokes (2007)
Taylor King (2007)
Scottie Reynolds (2006)

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 08:25:57 PM »
wow. I knew Nova was loaded, but FIVE? That's Duke-like.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:30 PM »
GT's three starting guards are from three different high schools in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference. That's a league with nationally ranked schools like DeMatha. It's a huge advantage when you have that kind of talent right at your front door.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
We do have Chicago right below us, if you have a very good recruiter you can get them here.    

Especially since we're the closest (legit) Big East team to Chicago.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
wow. I knew Nova was loaded, but FIVE? That's Duke-like.

They will have 5 next year too...Replacing Scottie Reynolds with former MU target JayVaughn Pinkston (assuming he qualifies)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:20 PM »
A majority of teams in the Big East are drawing McDonald AA's.  Problem is, it's nearly impossible to draw that kind of talent to Milwaukee, WI, and to make things more difficult, the midwest doesn't produce very many and when they do they're recruited hard by the best programs in the country.  Recruiting is a tough business.

I don't live in Milwaukee but the "recruits won't come to Milwaukee" argument is lame.  Louisville, Cincy, Villanova are all located in cities that are nothing to write home about.  St Johns is located in the Big Apple but doesn't seem to attract MAAs.  My point is that recruits will go to where the program and coach is and secondarily they are worried about the city.  It is only a matter of time before Buzz signs one up. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
We do have Chicago right below us, if you have a very good recruiter you can get them here.    

Especially since we're the closest (legit) Big East team to Chicago.

Chicago isn't what it used to be.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »

Chicago isn't what it used to be.

Its not so much that as it is kids being recruited to the east coast to play at prep schools. The great ones head east (Caron Butler) these days. It used to not be that way.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
Its not so much that as it is kids being recruited to the east coast to play at prep schools. The great ones head east (Caron Butler) these days. It used to not be that way.

You know that Caron was from WI, and that happened over 10 years ago, right?

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »

I hope you typed this when you were drunk.  Hear instead of here? Were instead of we're?  Admittedly I am a bit OCD but c'mon.  If you went to Marquette and took an English class I will be the first to write you a letter of recommendation to refund your money...

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
Can I just throw this out there:
Who cares if we don't get McDs AAs? They may be the best 24 players in the country but is there anything wrong with landing players 25- +/-100?
Another argument could be made that 17 out of the 24 players from the 2006 McDonalds All American Class, and 12 from the 2007 class are now in the pros. Why not just recruit great players that will play all four years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_All-American_Game

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:34 PM »
North Carolina has 8 "AA's".  What's there record?  ;)

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »
How many pickles would you like to wager that they won't be 16-16 next year?
C'mon man! One bad year and now they aren't an elite program.Really??
Look at the BIG piture.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I would just like a healthy Otule next year and one decent 6'9" glass eater with a 'tude!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28:20 PM »
Look at the BIG piture.
Got to agree, they won the national tournament last year looking like a NBA team against a JUCO.  And lets see a couple of years before that they won it again.  But seriously, I think Marquette is recruiting quality players under Buzz.  Clearly Marquette can compete.  Our last two highly recruited big men, Trevor and Jeronne turned out to be cases.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:30:56 PM by NCMUFan »

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 09:37:29 PM »
Look at the BIG piture.

North Carolina is an elite program.  I never said it wasn't.  You are talking about getting All Americans and I can only assume your rationale for that is you believe the more All Americans we have, the better we will be?  NC has 8 of them and is .500.  I'm saying having All Americans doesn't always equate to wins and I provided an example.  C'mon man!  If you are going to argue against me, at least stay on topic...

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
It doesn't make sense to you,that the more talent you have,the better your team should be?OK,I guess we aren't on the same page here.I can see why you would be   upset if these kind of kids wanted to come play here.Buzz should just look the other way.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
SHOULD be...

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 12:25:02 AM »
Kerry Trotter was our last Mcdonalds All American.

We need to get bigger. Everyone knows it including Buzz.

The kids don't have to be 5 star recruits. Plenty of kids who were not 5 star studs make it to the NBA.

You just have to find them and get lucky once in awhile.

coach85

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 12:57:22 AM »
Sultan - please explain why Chicago isn't what it used to be ?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 06:41:38 AM »
This is a crock. Milwaukee has as much to offer as Syracuse, N.Y. or UCONN etc. I get tired of excuses of why we cannopt recruit top notch talent. We are in the best conference, have a strong basketball tradition (three final fours and so on). Excuses are like opinions--everyone has them.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »
Sultan - please explain why Chicago isn't what it used to be ?

It is my impression that the %-age of top talent isn't from Chicago like it was a generation or more ago.  I'm not saying its bad, just that the talent is more wide-spread.

There was a debate about this on WSCR when it comes to the DePaul coaching search.  Everyone is under the impression that all you have to do is keep "Chicago kids in Chicago," when to build a good program, they are going to have to do more than that.

I guess I could go back and look at the top 100 for the last 20 years or so, but I don't have the time for that right now.

MU83

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:37 AM »
This is a crock. Milwaukee has as much to offer as Syracuse, N.Y. or UCONN etc. I get tired of excuses of why we cannot recruit top notch talent. We are in the best conference, have a strong basketball tradition (three final fours and so on). Excuses are like opinions--everyone has them.
....and like it or not, we are not viewed nationally as being on the same level as UConn or Syracuse.  I understand that we don't like it or don't want to admit it, or we want to rationalize that Milwaukee is nicer than Syracuse, but until we're viewed as an elite program, we are not consistently going to get the same talent-level kids. 

Buzz and his staff will have to work doubly hard to land top talent, and even then, we won't have the depth of the elites.  We can be a final four team again, but we will not be a final four contender every year unless we do something unethical.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 11:23:04 AM »
This is a crock. Milwaukee has as much to offer as Syracuse, N.Y. or UCONN etc. I get tired of excuses of why we cannopt recruit top notch talent. We are in the best conference, have a strong basketball tradition (three final fours and so on). Excuses are like opinions--everyone has them.

The difference is that in Syracuse, NY they have a Hall of Fame coach.  Same for at UCONN.

When you're a talented big and you have a few years to put your skills in the spotlight to try and win the lottery and make the NBA, more than likely you're going to go and play for someone that has the history of putting that type of player into the NBA.

It becomes a cycle that's tough to break.  MU needs to get one guy that they can get to attend and put into the NBA, but I don't blame these kids for wanting to attend a school with a coach that has a long track record of doing that.  I don't think it has anything to do with Milwaukee vs Syracuse or Storrs.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »

It is my impression that the %-age of top talent isn't from Chicago like it was a generation or more ago.  I'm not saying its bad, just that the talent is more wide-spread.

There was a debate about this on WSCR when it comes to the DePaul coaching search.  Everyone is under the impression that all you have to do is keep "Chicago kids in Chicago," when to build a good program, they are going to have to do more than that.

I guess I could go back and look at the top 100 for the last 20 years or so, but I don't have the time for that right now.

You don't need to do that, all those tabulations have already been done by the staff of statsheet.com:

http://statsheet.com/bhsb/recruits_by_state

Illinois, despite perhaps not being what it once was, is still 4th in terms of the # of Top 100 kids produced since 1998.  Of course that's counting the whole state, not just the Chicago area, but out of the 62 Top 100 players in the last decade and change only 7 of them aren't from Chicago.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 12:26:09 PM »
The difference is that in Syracuse, NY they have a Hall of Fame coach.  Same for at UCONN.

When you're a talented big and you have a few years to put your skills in the spotlight to try and win the lottery and make the NBA, more than likely you're going to go and play for someone that has the history of putting that type of player into the NBA.

I know he wasn't a "big" but Wade didn't need a HOF coach to make it. In fact, he had a really sh!tty coach and STILL made it.  Shaq (LSU - Dale Brown), Tim Duncan (Wake Forest - Skip Prosser), Chris Bosh (Georgia Tech - Paul Hewitt), Yao (China), Dwight Howard (no college):  These are some of the most elite big men in the NBA and I wouldn't say any of their college coaches are "known" for producing NBA big men.  I understand what you are saying but is there ANY college coach "known" for producing NBA caliber post players?  They are pretty hard to come by...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »
I know he wasn't a "big" but Wade didn't need a HOF coach to make it. In fact, he had a really sh!tty coach and STILL made it.  Shaq (LSU - Dale Brown), Tim Duncan (Wake Forest - Skip Prosser), Chris Bosh (Georgia Tech - Paul Hewitt), Yao (China), Dwight Howard (no college):  These are some of the most elite big men in the NBA and I wouldn't say any of their college coaches are "known" for producing NBA big men.  I understand what you are saying but is there ANY college coach "known" for producing NBA caliber post players?  They are pretty hard to come by...

It was actually Dave Odom that coached Tim Duncan @ Wake.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »
I think you need to look deeper into those guys histories before you can say they weren't known for producing NBA caliber big men.

Dale Brown was known for getting big men to the NBA, that's part of the reason Shaq ended up going there.  Brown had a run where 4 of his 5 starting centers were first round picks in the NBA, John Williams, Stanley Roberts, Shaq, and Geert Hammink.

Same thing for Dave Odom(he's the one that coached Duncan, not Prosser).  Darius Songaila made it to the NBA, Loren Woods made the NBA, Rodney Rodgers made the NBA, Duncan made the NBA.

Hewitt, since he's been there has put Bosh and Luke Schenscher into the NBA, and after this year he'll likely have Favors and Gani Lawal as well.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
It was actually Dave Odom that coached Tim Duncan @ Wake.

No sh!t?  You are right.  Thanks.

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
I think you need to look deeper into those guys histories before you can say they weren't known for producing NBA caliber big men.

Dale Brown was known for getting big men to the NBA, that's part of the reason Shaq ended up going there.  Brown had a run where 4 of his 5 starting centers were first round picks in the NBA, John Williams, Stanley Roberts, Shaq, and Geert Hammink.

Same thing for Dave Odom(he's the one that coached Duncan, not Prosser).  Darius Songaila made it to the NBA, Loren Woods made the NBA, Rodney Rodgers made the NBA, Duncan made the NBA.

Hewitt, since he's been there has put Bosh and Luke Schenscher into the NBA, and after this year he'll likely have Favors and Gani Lawal as well.

Do you think all those guys made it because of the college coach's coaching or the coach's ability to recruit guys who had immense talent?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
Replace Benford with Ernie Kent.  

We have no bigs for Benford to coach anyway.

Mu92

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 03:50:12 PM »
Syracuse has no mcdonalds all Americans this year.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
I understand what you are saying but is there ANY college coach "known" for producing NBA caliber post players?  They are pretty hard to come by...

How about Calhoun? Sure, some of his bigs were already solid players coming into college but not all of them. Thabeet sucked his first two years. Calhoun has had a nice run (Okafor, Boone, Thabeet, Oriakhi).

And I just learned that Boeheim has an assistant coach (Bernie Fine) that has been with him for over 30 years. His job is to develop the low post players (Seikely, Coleman, Wallace, Warrick, Etan Thomas, Onuaku, Rick Jackson, and Feb Melo (next year). So, there's two examples in the BE alone.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06:37 PM »

Well, right off the top of my head, Sharron Collins, Jacob Pullen, Evan Turner, John Scheyer, Demetry McCamey, Will Walker, John Shurna.  I'm sure there are more as well.

That doesn't seem like it would be a bad team, probably too short for everyone on this board, but I'd take it.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »
Well, right off the top of my head, Sharron Collins, Jacob Pullen, Evan Turner, John Scheyer, Demetry McCamey, Will Walker, John Shurna.  I'm sure there are more as well.

That doesn't seem like it would be a bad team, probably too short for everyone on this board, but I'd take it.

Dont forget Derrick Rose.

Maryland Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 08:17:10 PM »

Billy Shakesphere pondered  on his blog  awhile back "A bag full of MacDonald All Americans does not always a Happy Meal make" Examples: UConn and North Carolina
My sense of Buzz after 2 years is he thrives on players who need to prove something because he's the type of guy who can show them how to do just that.
But,defiantly, they got to get bigger

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 08:22:33 PM »
Collins is the only one on that list from a Chicago Public School.  The big problem there. like MPS, is that the kids can't qualify for a D-1 Scholarship.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
Sorry, I didn't know that suburbs and private schools don't count :-\

But when people talk about "recruiting Chicago" do they mean Chicago Public Schools, or the Chicago Area?

Seems pretty weak.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
Replace Benford with Ernie Kent.   

We have no bigs for Benford to coach anyway.

Let me guess, you think Kent would do a better job of recruiting Chicago.  You do realize that his recruiting of that area is almost solely because of a connection to Worldwide Wes that no longer exists once he's out of the job at Oregon, right?  Those high profile kids are still going to go to Oregon because it's Phil Knight's baby, and Wes needs Phil to be happy.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
We're not getting the AA's,  but we are getting TALENT.  With time I think Buzz will bring in the most acclaimed guys since Al,  but the most important thing is bringing in impact players and Buzz is doing it.  The fact remains that we aren't a program that will bring in the absolute best......that's where crackerjack scouting comes in......who else was in on Jimmy and DJO???  EVERY team in the country could use them.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »
AA's don't equal success all the time, just look at North Carolina this year. Stock full of AA kids and yet their biggest problem is they can't play together. Buzz does a good job getting players that work in his system.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
AA's don't equal success all the time, just look at North Carolina this year. Stock full of AA kids and yet their biggest problem is they can't play together. Buzz does a good job getting players that work in his system.

I'd rather have AAs than not have them. 

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2010, 01:55:19 PM »

I'd rather have AAs than not have them. 

Even if their being at Marquette doesn't equate to more wins?  I bet that's what all the NC fans are saying this year.  Hey, we may only be 16-16 but at least we have 8 All Americans. 

I want high character, talented players who are willing to work hard.  If they have the talent (i.e. all americans) but don't have character, are not willing to buy into the system, or are only out for themselves, let them go somewhere else.  They are not college basketball players, but look at guys like Milton Bradley and Terrell Owens, all the talent in the world but absolute cancers to their teams.

Would I like all americans?  Yes.  But only if they are high character and fit the system.  I'm off my soap box...

feedback