'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Official List of Scoopers' Suggestions for the Next Head Coach of Marquette  (Read 17788 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Figured I'd centralize all the suggestions being thrown out. You know, in case the BOT needs some advice  ::) In alphabetical order:

Amaker, Tommy: Currently head coach at Harvard. Former head coach at Michigan and Seton Hall. Former assistant at Duke.
Pro: Recent success. Experience working within an extremely academic setting. Con:Previous opportunities at high majors were a bust

Bennett, Randy: Currently head coach of St. Mary's. Former assistant at St. Louis, Pepperdine, San Diego, and Idaho.
Pro: Solid career as a Gael. Rebuilding experience. Con: Probation. Tied to west coast. Currently signed til 2021.

Bennett, Tony: Currently head coach of Virginia. Former head coach of Washington State. Former assistant at Wisconsin.
Pro: Recent success. Familiar with midwest recruiting. Con: Bo Ryan disciple. Practically guaranteed to leave if Bo Ryan ever retired.

Chew, Issac:Currently assistant coach at Marquette. Formerly assistant at Illinois, Missouri, and Murray State.
Pro: Recruited most of the current 2013 and 2014 class. Knows the program. Con: Zero head coaching experience

Hopkins, Mike: Current assistant coach at Syracuse.
Pro:Potential up and coming coach. New York recruiting ties. Con: No head coaching experience. Will bolt for Syracuse if Boeheim retires.

Howland, Ben: Most recently head coach of UCLA. Formerly head coach of Pittsburgh and Northern Arizona. Former assistant at UC Santa Barbara.
Pro: Decorated head coach with BEast and Final 4 experience. Strong recruiter. "Brand name." Can bank on NBA players' success. Con: Rumors about losing control of his last team. Defense first boring style of basketball.

Jordan, LaVall: Currently assistant at Michigan. Formerly an assistant at Iowa and Butler.
Pro: Up and comer. Midwest recruiting contants. Cons: No head coaching experience. Butler turned him down

Manning, Danny: Currently head coach at Tulsa. Former assistant at Kansas.
Pro: Potential up and comer. Has played at the highest level. Con: Largely untested. No high major experience.

Marshall, Gregg: Currently head coach of Wichita State. Formerly head coach of Winthrop. Former assistant at Marshall and College of Charleston
Pro:Lots of recent success. "Brand name" hire. Con: No high major experience. No ties to the Midwest.

Masiello, Steve: Currently head coach at Manhattan. Former assistant at Louisville and Manhattan.
Pro: Very exciting style of play. New York recruiting contacts. Cons: VERY untested. No high major experience

Miles, Tim: Currently the head coach at Nebraska. Former head coach at Colorado State and North Dakota State.
Pro: Lots of head coaching experience. Midwest recruiting roots. Con: Pretty comfy at Nebraska. Little postseason experience.

Miller, Archie: Currently head coach at Dayton. Former assistant at Arizona, Ohio State, Arizona State, NC State, and Western Kentucky.
Pro: Recent success. Midwest recruiting experience. Con: Very untested. No high major experience.

O'Neill, Kevin: Most recently head coach of USC. Formerly head coach of Arizona (interim), Toronto Raptors, Northwestern, Tennessee, and Marquette. Former assistant at Memphis Grizzlies, Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks, Arizona, Tulsa, and Delaware.
Pro: Knows and loves the school. Variety of experience. Cons: Not much success since leaving MU. Values and morals.

Phillips, Saul: Currently head coach at North Dakota State. Former assistant at North Dakota State, Wisconsin, and UW Milwaukee.
Pro: Wisconsin recruiting contacts. Up and coming coach. Con: No high major experience. Bo Ryan disciple

Smart, Shaka: Currently head coach of VCU. Former assistant at Florida, Clemson, and Akron
Pro: "Brand Name." Exciting style of play. Wisconsin roots Con: No high major experience. Very comfortable at VCU

Stephens, Dwayne: Currently associate head coach of Michigan State. Former assistant at Marquette and Oakland.
Pro: Knows the program. Excellent recruiter. Con: No head coaching experience.

Wardle, Brian: Currently head coach of UWGB. Former assistant at UWGB and Marquette.
Pro: Potential up and comer. Former Marquette player. Con: Very inexperienced. Potential bad PR due to incident with dookie
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:12:31 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
If you see someone missing please reply and I will update the OP. That includes pro/cons to to the already listed
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Danny Manning

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
I just hope whoever they get he/she knows what to do with ALL five players on the court....someone here once suggested Buzz wasn't comfortable with the 3-4-5 players...

willie warrior

• All American
If you see someone missing please reply and I will update the OP. That includes pro/cons to to the already listed
Good job
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

PE8983

• Team Captain
Doc Rivers

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
Tim Miles...Nebraska

NersEllenson

• All American
Just to make a modification:  I see no "Cons" with regard to Shaka Smart.  The success he's had at what TAMU deemed a mid-major at VCU speaks for itself.  Exciting style of play.  Charismatic dude. Wisconsin ties.  Doubt ANY of the players (or recruits) would transfer if Shaka were named head coach.  Question is, of course....could we get him to leave VCU?

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Go Warriors

• Walk-On
Brad Stevens?

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
Isnt the coach at Indiana going to be available soon?

warriorchick

• All American
Thanks for this, Aggie Eagle.  Saves me a lot of time running to Wikipedia every time someone throws out a new name.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
I would add some assistants in there, though I hope we don't go down that path.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2014/03/the-candidates-far-fetched-possible-and.html

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
Doc Rivers is not a candidate but I think he would be a good resource particularly when it comes to screening a candidate like Ben Howland.  Rivers should have heard things with his recent time in LA.  At one point Rivers might have been a candidate but that ship sailed with his move from Boston to LA.

ATWizJr

• All American
dookie incident?  Majerus disciple?

Sunbelt15

• All American
We need to push the safe choice, Chew. Current players stay comfortable and recruits are familiar with him. We won't have to start at the bottom. Just hope he plays talent over seniority.

cheebs09

• All American
Chew is in no way the safe choice. Like Buzz wasn't a safe choice either. Not to say we have to take a risk because it worked out with Buzz, but I think Chew would be a much riskier hire than Buzz. Buzz at least had head coaching experience and had a lot of recruiting success.

I'm definitely in the Howland camp, and then second and third choices are Shaka and Marshall. As Chicos said, if we go the assistant route, I'd be a little disappointed. I think we have some higher profile candidates with what at least sounds like some interest, which is different than the last go-around.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Chew is in no way the safe choice. Like Buzz wasn't a safe choice either. Not to say we have to take a risk because it worked out with Buzz, but I think Chew would be a much riskier hire than Buzz. Buzz at least had head coaching experience and had a lot of recruiting success.

I'm definitely in the Howland camp, and then second and third choices are Shaka and Marshall. As Chicos said, if we go the assistant route, I'd be a little disappointed. I think we have some higher profile candidates with what at least sounds like some interest, which is different than the last go-around.

I don't think Shaka would be a good fit. He's a superstar and I'm not sure that fits the culture around Marquette. Look, I love Marquette and it's basketball program, but we've got some alums who think buying tickets entitles them to something. It's actually kind of a weird environment, if you ask me. I actually believe it's unique to Milwaukee.

If I were Shaka Smart I'd stay right where I am.

nyg

• All American
I don't think Shaka would be a good fit. He's a superstar and I'm not sure that fits the culture around Marquette. Look, I love Marquette and it's basketball program, but we've got some alums who think buying tickets entitles them to something. It's actually kind of a weird environment, if you ask me. I actually believe it's unique to Milwaukee.

Smart makes close to 1.5M at VCU, with alot of that coming from appearances and incentives.  If MU offered 2.5M a year, would that change his perspective.  I don't know how much UCLA offered, but thats a huge chunk of change. 

classof70

• Team Captain
Figured I'd centralize all the suggestions being thrown out. You know, in case the BOT needs some advice  ::) In alphabetical order:

Amaker, Tommy: Currently head coach at Harvard. Former head coach at Michigan and Seton Hall. Former assistant at Duke.
Pro: Recent success. Experience working within an extremely academic setting. Con:Previous opportunities at high majors were a bust

Bennett, Randy: Currently head coach of St. Mary's. Former assistant at St. Louis, Pepperdine, San Diego, and Idaho.
Pro: Solid career as a Gael. Rebuilding experience. Con: Probation. Tied to west coast. Currently signed til 2021.

Bennett, Tony: Currently head coach of Virginia. Former head coach of Washington State. Former assistant at Wisconsin.
Pro: Recent success. Familiar with midwest recruiting. Con: Bo Ryan disciple. Practically guaranteed to leave if Bo Ryan ever retired.

Chew, Issac:Currently assistant coach at Marquette. Formerly assistant at Illinois, Missouri, and Murray State.
Pro: Recruited most of the current 2013 and 2014 class. Knows the program. Con: Zero head coaching experience

Hopkins, Mike: Current assistant coach at Syracuse.
Pro:Potential up and coming coach. New York recruiting ties. Con: No head coaching experience. Will bolt for Syracuse if Boeheim retires.

Howland, Ben: Most recently head coach of UCLA. Formerly head coach of Pittsburgh and Northern Arizona. Former assistant at UC Santa Barbara.
Pro: Decorated head coach with BEast and Final 4 experience. Strong recruiter. "Brand name." Can bank on NBA players' success. Con: Rumors about losing control of his last team. Defense first boring style of basketball.

Jordan, LaVall: Currently assistant at Michigan. Formerly an assistant at Iowa and Butler.
Pro: Up and comer. Midwest recruiting contants. Cons: No head coaching experience. Butler turned him down

Marshall, Gregg: Currently head coach of Wichita State. Formerly head coach of Winthrop. Former assistant at Marshall and College of Charleston
Pro:Lots of recent success. "Brand name" hire. Con: No high major experience. No ties to the Midwest.

Masiello, Steve: Currently head coach at Manhattan. Former assistant at Louisville and Manhattan.
Pro: Very exciting style of play. New York recruiting contacts. Cons: VERY untested. No high major experience

Miller, Archie: Currently head coach at Dayton. Former assistant at Arizona, Ohio State, Arizona State, NC State, and Western Kentucky.
Pro: Recent success. Midwest recruiting experience. Con: Very untested. No high major experience.

O'Neill, Kevin: Most recently head coach of USC. Formerly head coach of Arizona (interim), Toronto Raptors, Northwestern, Tennessee, and Marquette. Former assistant at Memphis Grizzlies, Indiana Pacers, Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks, Arizona, Tulsa, and Delaware.
Pro: Knows and loves the school. Variety of experience. Cons: Not much success since leaving MU. Values and morals.

Phillips, Saul: Currently head coach at North Dakota State. Former assistant at North Dakota State, Wisconsin, and UW Milwaukee.
Pro: Wisconsin recruiting contacts. Up and coming coach. Con: No high major experience. Bo Ryan disciple

Smart, Shaka: Currently head coach of VCU. Former assistant at Florida, Clemson, and Akron
Pro: "Brand Name." Exciting style of play. Wisconsin roots Con: No high major experience. Very comfortable at VCU

Wardle, Brian: Currently head coach of UWGB. Former assistant at UWGB and Marquette.
Pro: Potential up and comer. Former Marquette player. Con: Very inexperienced. Potential bad PR due to incident with dookie

A wish list?  Who is realistic?  I don't think any of the following are realistic.

Smart--won't leave for MU
T. Bennett--UVA for MU.  I love MU but I don't think so.   ACC for new BE.  No way.
Amaker--Harvard for MU.  No.
Marshall--Bet he prefers where he is.

Other names seem realistic.

Windyplayer

• All American
Amaker--Harvard for MU.  No.
I forgot Harvard was a blue blood and Amaker wouldn't deign to even consider an offer from Marquette. Not sure how you can so conclusively write off Amaker. Amaker isn't there for the academics, trust me.

NersEllenson

• All American

Nominee for most idiotic logic yet presented on the topic of next head coach...Shaka not a good fit??  Because he's a "superstar?"  We've got alums who think buying tickets entitles them to something...and that's unique to Marquette??  You don't think boosters and other high dollar season ticket buyers at other high major programs feel entitled to some perks the general public may not be entitled to?  What planet do you live on?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
dookie incident?  Majerus disciple?

Any man who can laugh at a Growler Incident stands well in my book.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
#1 Shaka. I hope he looks at this place as a destination. Though, with Buzz's comments, I think it's telling about the landscape that is college sports and what people think of the Big East.

#2 Howland. Just like the hire as a continuity one: name recognition, associated with pro players, experienced, etc. Selfishly, it bridges a chasm and helps MU position itself for the next hire so they're not caught with their pants down. However, Howland may be the next one to catch MU with its pants down IF he succeeds at MU. One thing that troubles me about him: he threw his name out there for the job. That's a bit desperate with his pedigree.

#3 Masiello. He won't be here for the long haul. Much like the knock on Hopkins, when Pitino's job is up, he may just bolt.

#4 Marshall. As a coach for a 35 and counting wins team, he should be towards the top. But I think there's a feeling he may stay or go to a program in a more-exposed conference. Marquette would be a nice fit: basketball crazy, have the resources, his program would be for all to see...

I had hoped Buzz would be like Mark Few: beloved by his community at a basketball-only school; staying relevant through recruiting and a successful program; weathering changes in the league and landscape of Division 1 basketball.
SS Marquette

dgies9156

• All American
Kevin Stallings

willie warrior

• All American
#1 Shaka. I hope he looks at this place as a destination. Though, with Buzz's comments, I think it's telling about the landscape that is college sports and what people think of the Big East.

#2 Howland. Just like the hire as a continuity one: name recognition, associated with pro players, experienced, etc. Selfishly, it bridges a chasm and helps MU position itself for the next hire so they're not caught with their pants down. However, Howland may be the next one to catch MU with its pants down IF he succeeds at MU. One thing that troubles me about him: he threw his name out there for the job. That's a bit desperate with his pedigree.

#3 Masiello. He won't be here for the long haul. Much like the knock on Hopkins, when Pitino's job is up, he may just bolt.

#4 Marshall. As a coach for a 35 and counting wins team, he should be towards the top. But I think there's a feeling he may stay or go to a program in a more-exposed conference. Marquette would be a nice fit: basketball crazy, have the resources, his program would be for all to see...

I had hoped Buzz would be like Mark Few: beloved by his community at a basketball-only school; staying relevant through recruiting and a successful program; weathering changes in the league and landscape of Division 1 basketball.
Shaka: No chance
Howland: Good fit
Masiello: Will bolt
Marshall: Would be great, but probably no chance. He will wait for a blueblood.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.