Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jumbotron  (Read 17919 times)

wojosdojo

• All American
Jumbotron
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
I don't know if this was ever brought up before but I was told the BC was getting a new jumbotron. Can anyone clarify? I was pretty excited when I was told because ours is starting to get out of date.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Jumbotron
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
I can confirm they are.  Should be up by next season.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »
Seems like something they'd want to do with a facelift for the place, which may only be a few years out. 
I just hope they don't lose the fat guy dancing on the corner scoreboards.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
When the County Stadium board was dismantled we lost the "Two-Fisted Slobber".  I would hope fat guy dancing doesn't leave us as well!

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »

awesome. I'm excited to see it.

Go MU

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »
dont mean to change the subject too much...but perhaps someone with a little more knowledge about NBA bball, etc....but can we expect some improvements to the bradley center based on how well the bucks do in the playoffs this year??

new jumbotron should be sweet!!!....next order of objective....SEATING!!!!
The "average fan" is an idiot.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:21 AM »
agreed on the preseason banners - maybe condense preseason championships into one banner? also agreed that Crean's philosophy on chucking up as many banners as possible was not good.  in retrospect, it seems like a matter of not wanting to recognize that we are what we are.  we only have a couple of banners, but they're proud ones - and that underdog, once-in-a-while chip on our shoulder is what makes MU.  to want to crowd the rafters with banners takes that away a little bit, and i think in hindsight just kind of shows that the underdog, streetfight mentality MU embraces was just never quite the atmosphere Crean was ultimately looking for.

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
dont mean to change the subject too much...but perhaps someone with a little more knowledge about NBA bball, etc....but can we expect some improvements to the bradley center based on how well the bucks do in the playoffs this year??

new jumbotron should be sweet!!!....next order of objective....SEATING!!!!

No, they'll raise sales taxes for that.

/not being political, making a joke

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:35 AM »

SWEET.

I hope it can display more info than just fouls and points.  I love the boards that are on the ends in the American Airlines Center in Dallas that have a rotating set of up to the moment team stats.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
Are the preseason banners still up? They should shipcan those things. I can only imagine what opponents think about us with GAS banners up in the rafters. If I am one of retired jersey owners I would be insulted those thngs are up there with my jersey. Talk about embarassing. Crean was so fullof baloney.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any preseason banners still up. I think it is the National Championship, the Final Four ones, the 1952 Championship, and the NIT Championship are the only ones up there in the rafters.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any preseason banners still up. I think it is the National Championship, the Final Four ones, the 1952 Championship, and the NIT Championship are the only ones up there in the rafters.

The preseason banners were gone before this season.

Left Side:
2003 CUSA Champion, 2003 Final Four, 1974 Final Four, 1970 NIT Champion, 1952 NCIT Champion

Right Side:
1977 Champions, Retired Number Banners, Marquette Postseasons

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
cool.  on that note, where do those banners go now?

... I want one ...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:56:53 AM »
SWEET.

I hope it can display more info than just fouls and points.  I love the boards that are on the ends in the American Airlines Center in Dallas that have a rotating set of up to the moment team stats.

Are they replacing the Jumbotrons (in the end zones), the scoreboard, or both?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
am I correct in assuming these new Jumbotrons will be HD with more stat lines and whatnot?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
There was mention of a new scoreboard, with better screens, in the business journal last fall. 

I assume it will have larger, HD screens, and probably more screens.  I am speculating on this part, but that seems to be what most arenas put in now.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
Wanted to give this one a bump as the new jumbotron was unveiled this morning.  Here is an article by Don Walker on JSOnline:

New Bradley Center scoreboard has wow factor
By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Bradley Center officials this morning unveiled the new $3.2 million scoreboard that will give fans more information, brighter colors and far sharper images than ever before.

The center-hung 50,000-pound scoreboard features 12 high-resolution video panels and three times the display space of the old scoreboard. Steve Costello, the Bradley Center's president and CEO, said the scoreboard is one of the biggest improvements at the arena since the building opened in October 1988.

The old scoreboard was first installed 15 years ago.

"We're delighted to have it ready for the Bucks' season," said Steve Costello, the Bradley Center's president and CEO. "People recognize that this is something unique and special. It's kind of jaw dropping."

Fans will get their first chance to look at the new scoreboard when the Milwaukee Bucks face the Chicago Bulls in a preseason game on Oct. 5.

The scoreboard is 29-feet tall and 32-feet wide. The video displays contain 3.5 million pixels; the old scoreboard had 229,880 pixels.

Funding for the scoreboard came in part from a $5 million state bonding grant approved by the Legislature and the state Building Commission.

The new scoreboard was produced by Texas-based TS Sports, which has built scoreboards around the country. The design was by Virginia-based Anthony James Partners and incorporates state of the art LED displays by Lighthouse Technologies.

Aughnanure

• All American
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
SWEET.

That thing is friggin' huge (the angle shot at 0:55 in the video gives a good perspective on its size) -- I just hope the engineers who tested the roof loads weren't the lowest bidders.  Since it's one big video screen with two ribbon screens top and bottom, my guess is that they'll be able to program it to show whatever they want.  Not sure if up-to-the-moment stats are in the plans for MU, but it likely would have the ability to do so if need be.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »
I can't wait to not see the countless replays they don't show of plays or calls that get made and are never shown to the fans in the seats!

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
I can't wait to not see the countless replays they don't show of plays or calls that get made and are never shown to the fans in the seats!

You can talk to the NCAA and NBA about that.  I'm sure they'll listen, open-minded institutions that they are.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »

Good luck. The Bradley Center isn't alone in that regard. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
Scoreboard looks great!! I hope it's better for all the fans in the arena.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Here's the full demo video they did, with MU stuff in there. From OnMilwaukee.com

http://bit.ly/dCY131

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
As long as the Home Team score is always higher than the Away Team score I will be happy.  That said, it does look pretty incredible.

Fightin 411

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »
Hope it doesn't block the court view from my seats in the upper deck end zone!

Looks good though.  No more grainy replays.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 02:20:15 PM »
You can talk to the NCAA and NBA about that.  I'm sure they'll listen, open-minded institutions that they are.

I'd like to know more about that .. since there ARE occasional replays, how is it judged?  Does the NCAA send a censor to each game, giving thumbs up or down to each play that might be shown?

Or is that an urban legend?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
I'd like to know more about that .. since there ARE occasional replays, how is it judged?  Does the NCAA send a censor to each game, giving thumbs up or down to each play that might be shown?

i think that is only a "rule" at ncaa tournament games.  the ncaa doesn't want booing fans to be heard on tv. 

no idea about regular games.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
Generally...teams dont show questionable calls, espcially ones that go against the home team and that could incite the home crowd.

A breakaway DJO dunk...yes

A "Tim Higgins Special"...dont expect it to get replayed
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 03:04:16 PM by GOMU1104 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »

Nope, the NCAA is way to small to be doing that.  It's up to the home school working with the conference and there are definitely guidelines.  You'll notice MU staff on a headset with microphone on the sidelines of every game, typically at center court.  They are in constant communication with the video guys upstairs in the BC.  The MU person is coordinating the game, essentially. For example, what ads are going on the jumbotron, what promotions on the court, when the band starts playing and stops, etc.

I'll never forget a game against DePaul about 12 years ago when one of the DePaul players hit our guy in the peaches.  Not everyone saw it live but the BC video people showed the replay.  We were screaming on the head set to take the replay down because the fans were going wild with anger.  Bill Bradshaw, the DePaul AD at the time, was behind me and very upset that the replay made it to the jumbotron.  It should not have but it's possible (I'll give the BC folks the benefit of the doubt) that they did not know the sucker punch to the groin was not part of the replay and just cued it up to run.  At any rate, it led to some additional oversights being put into place after that game.

Each school should be following those guidelines but as we all know, that doesn't always happen.  Sometimes, as the example above, the intent is to follow them but those that control the video get ahead of themselves and may bypass the guidelines set in place.

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
I suggest that the new Jumbotron be christened with a command performance by our very own Spanish O'Donnell's. Could there be a more fitting inauguration of the new scoreboard than the Spaniards trademark good natured, wholesome brand of family entertainment? This is nothing less than 100% pasteurized All American goodness served heaping and steaming on a platter of sunshine. The Spanish O'Donnell's are a Marquette, nay Milwaukee  institution! Let's put their smiling faces and golden throats up there on the biggest and best stage in the Cream City!

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
I wish i could have seen DJO's tipslam against Louisville on that thing last year.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 01:38:38 AM »
Maybe they will put it in the player introduction video.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »
Nope, the NCAA is way to small to be doing that.  It's up to the home school working with the conference and there are definitely guidelines.  You'll notice MU staff on a headset with microphone on the sidelines of every game, typically at center court.  They are in constant communication with the video guys upstairs in the BC.  The MU person is coordinating the game, essentially. For example, what ads are going on the jumbotron, what promotions on the court, when the band starts playing and stops, etc.

So, what you're saying is that it's a conscious decision from the NCAA and Marquette to degrade the in-person experience by removing a feature I can enjoy at home because they can't trust their ticket holding fans.

What's the theory there, that the crowd will get unruly?  Oh, dear.  That surely would be a terrible outcome.  It gives me shivers just thinking of a crowd booing a ref or something, instead of politely clapping everyone's performance like we usually do.

"In case you missed it, I was being sarcastic."

Funny, I was going to compare that policy with the NFL and NBA and their replay policy, but I haven't been to a professional game in 10+ years so don't know if they trust their fans with replays.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:20 AM »
So, what you're saying is that it's a conscious decision from the NCAA and Marquette to degrade the in-person experience by removing a feature I can enjoy at home because they can't trust their ticket holding fans.

What's the theory there, that the crowd will get unruly?  Oh, dear.  That surely would be a terrible outcome.  It gives me shivers just thinking of a crowd booing a ref or something, instead of politely clapping everyone's performance like we usually do.

Funny, I was going to compare that policy with the NFL and NBA and their replay policy, but I haven't been to a professional game in 10+ years so don't know if they trust their fans with replays.

MLB doesn't allow teams to show a replay that makes the umpires look bad because the umpire's union freaks out if they do.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 09:22:36 AM »
MLB doesn't allow teams to show a replay that makes the umpires look bad because the umpire's union freaks out if they do.

But the umpire's union is OK when 12 million people watching on TV see it 7 times? 

That makes total sense.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
But the umpire's union is OK when 12 million people watching on TV see it 7 times? 

That makes total sense.
People watching on TV can't throw their beers at the umps??

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 09:39:13 AM »
People watching on TV can't throw their beers at the umps??

Sure they can!  But who wants to waste a beer and break their TV at the same time?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »

Basically, yes.  The NFL, by the way, shows replays in the stadium and often the crowd knows what the instant replay official will rule before he even gets out from under his little tent booth.

The NCAA is a different animal.  At the end of the day, these are still 18-22 year old kids and they do worry about people getting out of hand or fans getting nuts (insert Wisconsin fans throwing quarters at other team's players, Providence fan walking onto the court to address referee, etc, etc)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »

That makes total sense.

The umpires have a union contract with MLB and its franchises, not with MLB's TV partners.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »
You can tell they show controversial replays at NFL games because when a call goes against the home team you can hear the fans react.

Similarly, during the Eagles-Packers game when the Eagles RB had his leg bent sideways, I heard the crowds reaction to the in-stadium replay before they showed it on TV so I had time to warn my 9 year old to look away.  After they didn't heed my warning during the opening scene of the movie Blind Side when they showed the Thiesman leg video, my girls now trust me when I tell them to look away from the screen.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
At the end of the day, these are still 18-22 year old kids and they do worry about people getting out of hand or fans getting nuts (insert Wisconsin fans throwing quarters at other team's players, Providence fan walking onto the court to address referee, etc, etc)

Security issues happen.  They'll happen at close to the same rate whether replays are shown or not. 

Eliminate alcohol in the stadium and you'll make it WAY safer for those 18-22 year olds --  Won't someone think of the children???

GOO

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
I'm always amazed at how often refs get it right.  More often than not, when I see a replay, the ref is right or at least not way off.  So maybe showing controversal calls wouldn't be so bad, as more often than not, the refs get the calls right.  That doens't mean that the bad call isn't the one that I remember, or that I don't get upset by the bad calls. 

TheTasteofGarlic

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 03:57:28 PM »
This is why we need to have the Spanish O'Donnell's taped and at the ready. Controversial call has the natives restless? Put up the Spaniards and all is forgotten, if not forgiven!

TheRock

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »
THEY ARE NOT FUNNY!  STOP RAISING THE DOUCHE LEVEL ON THIS BOARD, THERE'S ALREADY ENOUGH.
"It doesn't matter what your name is"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
I'm always amazed at how often refs get it right.  More often than not, when I see a replay, the ref is right or at least not way off.  So maybe showing controversal calls wouldn't be so bad, as more often than not, the refs get the calls right.  That doens't mean that the bad call isn't the one that I remember, or that I don't get upset by the bad calls. 

Lol, I'm under the same opinion. Most times I'm less upset when they show the replay. Instead of showing, I get furious because it was a bad call and I know it because they even refuse to show the replay. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »

I'll never forget a game against DePaul about 12 years ago when one of the DePaul players hit our guy in the peaches.  Not everyone saw it live but the BC video people showed the replay.  We were screaming on the head set to take the replay down because the fans were going wild with anger.  Bill Bradshaw, the DePaul AD at the time, was behind me and very upset that the replay made it to the jumbotron.  It should not have but it's possible (I'll give the BC folks the benefit of the doubt) that they did not know the sucker punch to the groin was not part of the replay and just cued it up to run.  At any rate, it led to some additional oversights being put into place after that game.

Each school should be following those guidelines but as we all know, that doesn't always happen.  Sometimes, as the example above, the intent is to follow them but those that control the video get ahead of themselves and may bypass the guidelines set in place.

Bumping an old thread, Chicos -

I was going to post this before .. The OOC games at the BC this year?  Had MANY replays of controversial calls.  I was really surprised.

But that seemed to stop for the WVU game yesterday.   Are there different guidelines for BE versus non-BE play?

--

Also to note .. the end-zone screens for the WVU game .. HAD GAME STATS displayed every few minutes.  Finally!

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »

I was going to post this before .. The OOC games at the BC this year?  Had MANY replays of controversial calls.  I was really surprised.

But that seemed to stop for the WVU game yesterday.   Are there different guidelines for BE versus non-BE play?

--

Also to note .. the end-zone screens for the WVU game .. HAD GAME STATS displayed every few minutes.  Finally!

You are a little late to the party, that started with the ill-attended Centenary game, I believe ;)

Speaking of noticing things, anyone notice they screwed up the intro videos for the MU players for the Wisconsin game? i know it's a little bit late to bring up also ...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »

--

I wasn't around for the Big East but for CUSA, yes, there were guidelines for all home games.  If memory serves, we used those guidelines for every game, not just the conference games...except for the one that slipped through and Bill Bradshaw (AD at DePaul) was about to take a scalp from someone.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:53 PM »
I sit about ten rows behind the visiting team. West Virginia players and coaches watched the Marquette intro showing various MU players scoring in differnet games. That is the first time the visiting team watched the intro this year or last year. Usually the coach has them in a huddle during the intro. Maybe that was a bad idea, because the first few minutes of the game was like an MU highlight real.

feedback