Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jumbotron  (Read 17920 times)

wojosdojo

• All American
Jumbotron
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
I don't know if this was ever brought up before but I was told the BC was getting a new jumbotron. Can anyone clarify? I was pretty excited when I was told because ours is starting to get out of date.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Jumbotron
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
I can confirm they are.  Should be up by next season.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:53:37 PM »
Seems like something they'd want to do with a facelift for the place, which may only be a few years out. 
I just hope they don't lose the fat guy dancing on the corner scoreboards.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
When the County Stadium board was dismantled we lost the "Two-Fisted Slobber".  I would hope fat guy dancing doesn't leave us as well!

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »

awesome. I'm excited to see it.

Go MU

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:07:13 AM »
dont mean to change the subject too much...but perhaps someone with a little more knowledge about NBA bball, etc....but can we expect some improvements to the bradley center based on how well the bucks do in the playoffs this year??

new jumbotron should be sweet!!!....next order of objective....SEATING!!!!
The "average fan" is an idiot.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:20:21 AM »
agreed on the preseason banners - maybe condense preseason championships into one banner? also agreed that Crean's philosophy on chucking up as many banners as possible was not good.  in retrospect, it seems like a matter of not wanting to recognize that we are what we are.  we only have a couple of banners, but they're proud ones - and that underdog, once-in-a-while chip on our shoulder is what makes MU.  to want to crowd the rafters with banners takes that away a little bit, and i think in hindsight just kind of shows that the underdog, streetfight mentality MU embraces was just never quite the atmosphere Crean was ultimately looking for.

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:22:39 AM »
dont mean to change the subject too much...but perhaps someone with a little more knowledge about NBA bball, etc....but can we expect some improvements to the bradley center based on how well the bucks do in the playoffs this year??

new jumbotron should be sweet!!!....next order of objective....SEATING!!!!

No, they'll raise sales taxes for that.

/not being political, making a joke

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:28:35 AM »

SWEET.

I hope it can display more info than just fouls and points.  I love the boards that are on the ends in the American Airlines Center in Dallas that have a rotating set of up to the moment team stats.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:01:35 AM »
Are the preseason banners still up? They should shipcan those things. I can only imagine what opponents think about us with GAS banners up in the rafters. If I am one of retired jersey owners I would be insulted those thngs are up there with my jersey. Talk about embarassing. Crean was so fullof baloney.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any preseason banners still up. I think it is the National Championship, the Final Four ones, the 1952 Championship, and the NIT Championship are the only ones up there in the rafters.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any preseason banners still up. I think it is the National Championship, the Final Four ones, the 1952 Championship, and the NIT Championship are the only ones up there in the rafters.

The preseason banners were gone before this season.

Left Side:
2003 CUSA Champion, 2003 Final Four, 1974 Final Four, 1970 NIT Champion, 1952 NCIT Champion

Right Side:
1977 Champions, Retired Number Banners, Marquette Postseasons

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
cool.  on that note, where do those banners go now?

... I want one ...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 09:56:53 AM »
SWEET.

I hope it can display more info than just fouls and points.  I love the boards that are on the ends in the American Airlines Center in Dallas that have a rotating set of up to the moment team stats.

Are they replacing the Jumbotrons (in the end zones), the scoreboard, or both?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
am I correct in assuming these new Jumbotrons will be HD with more stat lines and whatnot?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:34:19 AM »
There was mention of a new scoreboard, with better screens, in the business journal last fall. 

I assume it will have larger, HD screens, and probably more screens.  I am speculating on this part, but that seems to be what most arenas put in now.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
Wanted to give this one a bump as the new jumbotron was unveiled this morning.  Here is an article by Don Walker on JSOnline:

New Bradley Center scoreboard has wow factor
By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel

Bradley Center officials this morning unveiled the new $3.2 million scoreboard that will give fans more information, brighter colors and far sharper images than ever before.

The center-hung 50,000-pound scoreboard features 12 high-resolution video panels and three times the display space of the old scoreboard. Steve Costello, the Bradley Center's president and CEO, said the scoreboard is one of the biggest improvements at the arena since the building opened in October 1988.

The old scoreboard was first installed 15 years ago.

"We're delighted to have it ready for the Bucks' season," said Steve Costello, the Bradley Center's president and CEO. "People recognize that this is something unique and special. It's kind of jaw dropping."

Fans will get their first chance to look at the new scoreboard when the Milwaukee Bucks face the Chicago Bulls in a preseason game on Oct. 5.

The scoreboard is 29-feet tall and 32-feet wide. The video displays contain 3.5 million pixels; the old scoreboard had 229,880 pixels.

Funding for the scoreboard came in part from a $5 million state bonding grant approved by the Legislature and the state Building Commission.

The new scoreboard was produced by Texas-based TS Sports, which has built scoreboards around the country. The design was by Virginia-based Anthony James Partners and incorporates state of the art LED displays by Lighthouse Technologies.

Aughnanure

• All American
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
SWEET.

That thing is friggin' huge (the angle shot at 0:55 in the video gives a good perspective on its size) -- I just hope the engineers who tested the roof loads weren't the lowest bidders.  Since it's one big video screen with two ribbon screens top and bottom, my guess is that they'll be able to program it to show whatever they want.  Not sure if up-to-the-moment stats are in the plans for MU, but it likely would have the ability to do so if need be.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:35:52 AM »
I can't wait to not see the countless replays they don't show of plays or calls that get made and are never shown to the fans in the seats!

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 11:39:03 AM »
I can't wait to not see the countless replays they don't show of plays or calls that get made and are never shown to the fans in the seats!

You can talk to the NCAA and NBA about that.  I'm sure they'll listen, open-minded institutions that they are.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »

Good luck. The Bradley Center isn't alone in that regard. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
Scoreboard looks great!! I hope it's better for all the fans in the arena.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
Here's the full demo video they did, with MU stuff in there. From OnMilwaukee.com

http://bit.ly/dCY131

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
As long as the Home Team score is always higher than the Away Team score I will be happy.  That said, it does look pretty incredible.

Fightin 411

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »
Hope it doesn't block the court view from my seats in the upper deck end zone!

Looks good though.  No more grainy replays.