Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz's Defining Moment  (Read 18064 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Buzz's Defining Moment
« on: October 18, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »
This is huge. For those who haven't seen Vander play, you're in for a treat. He's Big East ready right now. This is the recruit who will validate Buzz's tenure and surely be the stepping stone to allure future blue chip talent. Crean never was able to seal the deal like Buzz just has.
Enjoy Blue's play as a Warrior as he is likely to be an early entrant to the Association.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
Re: Buzz's Defining Moment
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Yeah, I remember when Wes committed and how big that felt.  This is bigger.

My brother the UW grad is very unhappy over this.  He likes Bo, but thinks they can only go so far with the talent they have.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »
This really is huge for sure.  And I hope it encourages others of his skill level to come aboard in the future.  I hope he sticks around, but so glad we have him :) 
WOW!!!!  Kudos to Buzz and the staff for staying the course, and working so hard.  Kudos to Blue and his family!

Welcome to MU!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:54:22 PM »
This is huge. For those who haven't seen Vander play, you're in for a treat. He's Big East ready right now. This is the recruit who will validate Buzz's tenure and surely be the stepping stone to allure future blue chip talent. Crean never was able to seal the deal like Buzz just has.
Enjoy Blue's play as a Warrior as he is likely to be an early entrant to the Association.

Hold on there brother... where are the big men? ;D   Remember these famous words "Crean only gets quality guards, he can't land the big men".   ;D

Seriously,  it's a great get and one that I think many of us thought would happen in the last 2 months.  We still have a few years to go to find out if Buzz is the real deal, however, but so far so good (that's for you Lenny).   Let's also not forget that without Crean and his accomplishments (Final Four, NCAAs, players to the NBA, hiring Buzz, Buzz ain't here to even make this pitch...it's all a building block....rip on Crean all you want, but this doesn't happen without him, for some reason people keep forgetting this).

Steve Lavin, here in my hometown, keeps reverberating through my head as he landed the #1 OVERALL recruiting class 2 of 5 years (the other three classes were all top 15)  and he couldn't make a go of it. I don't think Buzz is Lavin, I hope he isn't.  If Buzz can learn from his mistakes (as he seems to be doing) and continue to get quality players, then we should be great.  Let's all hope that's the case.  So far so good, nice get by Mr. Williams....anything to make Badgerholes pissed off is a great thing.

5...4...3...2....1.....until the Mr. Hayward hate machine kicks in and will claim I'm trashing Buzz, which I most certainly am not.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »

My brother the UW grad is very unhappy over this.  He likes Bo, but thinks they can only go so far with the talent they have.

Bo won't get out and recruit, he leaves it all in the hands of his assistants. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:02:14 PM »
Chicos, you're not trashing Buzz, but you sure can be a downer.  Worried about Buzz becoming like Lavin?  C'mon.

Name the last time a Marquette coach landed top 20 (top 10?) recruiting classes back-to-back?

That's how big this is!  We're in territory we haven't seen in a LONG time.  Yes, Buzz still has a lot to prove, but I think he's proved his recruiting prowess, and both recruits and fans seem to like his attitude.

But go on - keep casting doubts at every chance you get...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »
How about "Buzz's Defining Moment up to this moment".     Blue is a great get and I have been nothing but impressed with Buzz since he arrived.     We still need an athletic, impact 4-5 and he still has to coach them all without having a locker room blow up on him because everybody wants the ball.    With that disclaimer out of the way.......WAHOOOOOOO!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »
Chicos, you're not trashing Buzz, but you sure can be a downer.  Worried about Buzz becoming like Lavin?  C'mon.

Name the last time a Marquette coach landed top 20 (top 10?) recruiting classes back-to-back?

That's how big this is!  We're in territory we haven't seen in a LONG time.  Yes, Buzz still has a lot to prove, but I think he's proved his recruiting prowess, and both recruits and fans seem to like his attitude.

But go on - keep casting doubts at every chance you get...

I'm not worried about him becoming Lavin but simply pointing out that great recruiting classes don't always mean great success....they should, but not always...I'm saying we still have to wait a few years before anointing.  I knew Blue was coming to MU a few weeks ago (about 95% sure based on what I had heard) .... it's a great get. 

I just laugh at the double standards here sometimes and I'm more than willing to point them out.   ;)

As for your question about top 20 recruiting classes back to back, probably not since Al McGuire I would guess. 

I don't know why you're feeling down, I'm sure not.  Anything that gets the Badgerholes pissed off, I'm happy as a clam.  Having top talent come to MU, is always a great thing....BUT WHERE ARE THE QUALITY BIG MEN.   :D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:09:38 PM »
Dom James was a HUGE get for Crean... so it isn't as though this sort of thing hasn't happened before.  Not trying to be a downer because I am really excited... but as usual, we need to be realistic.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:12:57 PM »
Chicos has a point about recruiting big men and I jumped all over the departed tan one for his lack of success in that regard.
However, Crean never recruited a guard with this kind of talent coming out of high school, not even Wade. I have full confidence the 4's and 5's that the program needs will be coming as well.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »
However, Crean never recruited a guard with this kind of talent coming out of high school, not even Wade.

Or someone with so much talent, to come in when there will be a bunch of talented, BE tested guards in front of him.  I have no doubt they can all contribute to the team, but we're getting depth we haven't had for a long time.  That's what I'm ecstatic about! 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
How about "Buzz's Defining Moment up to this moment".     Blue is a great get and I have been nothing but impressed with Buzz since he arrived.     We still need an athletic, impact 4-5 and he still has to coach them all without having a locker room blow up on him because everybody wants the ball.    With that disclaimer out of the way.......WAHOOOOOOO!
In regards to getting the ball.  I don't know where Wes ended up with on MU all-time scoring leader, but DJ, Jerel, Lazar and probably Wes if he wasn't hurt his Freshman year would be in the top 10.  Hence, spreading plenty of scoring around with this and future teams should not be a problem. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 07:02:42 PM »
This is big. As 4ever said, he's BE ready today. His performance at State last year was one of the best I've seen. He was absolutely dominant. It will be a treat with a backcourt of Blue, Buycks, Cadougan, and DJO next year. If Buzz can land Black, or a comparable PF... giddy up.

Good times on the way friends.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 07:03:17 PM »
The Wiki knows that Wes was # 8 overall in scoring. Lazar is currently at 27th with 1270 points thus far.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/all-time_leading_scorers

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:12:20 PM »
The Wiki knows that Wes was # 8 overall in scoring. Lazar is currently at 27th with 1270 points thus far.

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/all-time_leading_scorers
its conceivable hayward could end up as #2 overall if he has a productive year and stays healthy

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:57 PM »
Chicos has a point about recruiting big men and I jumped all over the departed tan one for his lack of success in that regard.
However, Crean never recruited a guard with this kind of talent coming out of high school, not even Wade. I have full confidence the 4's and 5's that the program needs will be coming as well.

From a rating standpoint, you are correct....but let's do all of us a favor, especially Mr. Blue....he ain't no Dwyane Wade.  That will be our best recruit for a LONG LONG LONG time.  We need not be silly with the pressure we put on this kid.  Wade is bar none the best player MU has had in decades

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
From a rating standpoint, you are correct....but let's do all of us a favor, especially Mr. Blue....he ain't no Dwyane Wade.  That will be our best recruit for a LONG LONG LONG time.  We need not be silly with the pressure we put on this kid.  Wade is bar none the best player MU has had in decades

No one is Dwyane Wade, so get that out of your head.

But if Junior, Williams and Maymon (and DJO and Buycks) are DJ, Wes and Jerel...then Blue and Jones are Lazar and Cooby.  Sounds better already huh?  You see sometimes it pays to follow up one good recruiting class with another.  You know, like TC did in the early 2000s before his ego ran out of control and he burned every bridge not connected to Tel Iviv. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:01 PM »

actaully with the talent they have they will not be going far.  decent team this year but the wheels will really begin to fall off next year.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »
where are the 50 or so rants from Chicos that said it was easy to sign good recruiting classes with all kinds of Playing time to offer.  Then Buzz signs Jones and Blue both top 75 recruits!!  Chicos passive agression towrds anything positive in regards to Mu is sad.

i have asked it before is Chicos very short, why such a chip on his shoulder that he has some un ending desire to be a prick?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 10:00:29 PM »

. . . if Junior, Williams and Maymon (and DJO and Buycks) are DJ, Wes and Jerel...

Watch out . . . this sort of talk is not very popular around here. The amigos were an amazing class, and it is completely unfair to expect this year's newcomers to equal their performance (as I've been repeatedly told). ;)

That having been said, this sort of recruiting is exactly why I supported Buzz over the supposedly more experienced mid-major head coaches that others argued should have been considered.  Recruiting is everything, and this commit demonstrates that assistance experience at Texas A&M and Marquette translates better to our situation HC experience at places like Wright State, VCU or Bradley.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:02:01 PM by Marquette84 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »
I think Chicos is timidly using teal because he knows (or feels) Buzz is getting close to getting a big man.
Chicos...you *know* Black's coming don't you. ;)
But we already have A big man...Mbao. :D

I hope Vander, Jamail and company make you eat your words! :)

BTW, somewhere in Wisconsin, Keaton Nankivil is wondering if he can turn back the hands of time. LOL!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:06:23 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »

Chicos passive agression towrds anything positive in regards to Mu is sad.

Any sadder than your passive aggression toward anything positive that MU did between 1999 and 2008?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 10:13:23 PM »
Watch out . . . this sort of talk is not very popular around here. The amigos were an amazing class, and it is completely unfair to expect this year's newcomers to equal their performance (as I've been repeatedly told). ;)

Don't worry SJS, I don't shy away from heaping expectations.  Maymon's class should deliver at least 3 NCAAs.  Anything else will be a disappointment.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
Incidentally, someone asked me via email how I knew a few weeks ago.  I got confirmation out here that UCLA and Zona were out, which is why I said MU or Florida.  I totally agreed with 4ever that once he decommitted from UW, he wasn't going back so it had to be those two.  Then in the last 10 days I was told he wants to stay home so it pretty much had to be MU at that point....that's why it became a 95% thing at that point...not for sure for sure, but about as sure as it's going to get from the folks that I spoke to.

Again, great get by Mr. Williams....and reading the Badgerholes rip him apart on the Wisconsin State Journal board, Badgermaniac, etc.....too great.  Love all the slaps at this kid's educational abilities.  I guess they never learn and they wonder why so many talents are leaving the area.  LOL

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:11 PM »

That having been said, this sort of recruiting is exactly why I supported Buzz over the supposedly more experienced mid-major head coaches that others argued should have been considered.  Recruiting is everything, and this commit demonstrates that assistance experience at Texas A&M and Marquette translates better to our situation HC experience at places like Wright State, VCU or Bradley.

I for one fully expect this year's newcomers to exceed the amigos accomplishments. If they only win 2 NCAA tournament games in their 4 years I'll be shocked and bitterly disappointed.