[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tyson vs Jones Jr.  (Read 2764 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Tyson vs Jones Jr.
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:06:37 PM »
Anybody else going to watch this? I haven't seen Jones fight since he made a run at the cruiserweight title and he didn't look good doing it. Tyson looks like he can still hit fast, clean and hard in training.

Also Nate Robinson is fighting some social media icon on the undercard? Wtf?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Tyson vs Jones Jr.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 02:13:40 PM »
hell no. Just a money grab for both. Though maybe it will have a legit ending, unlike the Moloney fight last weekend.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
hell no. Just a money grab for both. Though maybe it will have a legit ending, unlike the Moloney fight last weekend.

Definitely is a money grab, but with two egos this massive I can't imagine the two of them are going to be ok with it if they perceive that they are behind.

The Maloney fight was a joke and I was only half watching.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »
Anybody else going to watch this? I haven't seen Jones fight since he made a run at the cruiserweight title and he didn't look good doing it. Tyson looks like he can still hit fast, clean and hard in training.

I agree the latter is dumb, but to be fair, though he’s annoying, Jake Paul has apparently been taking boxing training seriously for a couple years now. Obviously, He’s never gonna be a pro fighter, but he takes it more seriously/committed than the normal jokes of celebrity boxing. Aka Nate Robinson.

As for Tyson, dude looks to be in incredible shape for his age and can clearly still hit. Should be interesting.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »
I agree the latter is dumb, but to be fair, though he’s annoying, Jake Paul has apparently been taking boxing training seriously for a couple years now. Obviously, He’s never gonna be a pro fighter, but he takes it more seriously/committed than the normal jokes of celebrity boxing. Aka Nate Robinson.

As for Tyson, dude looks to be in incredible shape for his age and can clearly still hit. Should be interesting.

Didn't know that. Did he actually fight on the amateur circuit at all? I mean a click on his Wikipedia page shows he fought one other pro social media guy and mentions an amateur fight against some other social media guy. I guess I'm just curious if he's trying to make a boxing career out of fighting people who are influencers or old pro athletes? Or is he actually trying to be a fighter?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 03:00:15 PM »
Didn't know that. Did he actually fight on the amateur circuit at all? I mean a click on his Wikipedia page shows he fought one other pro social media guy and mentions an amateur fight against some other social media guy. I guess I'm just curious if he's trying to make a boxing career out of fighting people who are influencers or old pro athletes? Or is he actually trying to be a fighter?

I don’t k ow what his true intentions are, but I view it more as like middle aged rich dudes who get really into auto racing. They have the money to pay for great crews, and cars, and track time and if they are truly committed like some, they end up in mid level rally racing or track events. They aren’t going to grind up through carting and low level racing circuits.

Same with Paul. I don’t think he has any intention of low level fighting or small events in VFW halls to get his reputation and skills up, but he’s apparently dedicated most of his time to training with proper trainers, over doing YouTube and other stuff.

So to your point, no, he was never an amateur fighter or grinder up in his youth. But he takes it more seriously than some random charity fight where people hit mitts for a month, jump some rope for clout, and then go on with their lives

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 03:11:42 PM »

Looking at pics of Tyson in his prime vs Tyson today makes me wonder just how dominant he could have been if he had been more disciplined back in the day....

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »
Jake Paul is an absolute douche.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »

Looking at pics of Tyson in his prime vs Tyson today makes me wonder just how dominant he could have been if he had been more disciplined back in the day....

If he was a more disciplined person and didn't listen to don king in firing Kevin Rooney he could've been able to retire like Marciano.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 04:30:34 PM »
Jake Paul is an absolute douche.

On this, we can certainly agree.

Eff that guy.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 04:57:11 PM »
If he was a more disciplined person and didn't listen to don king in firing Kevin Rooney he could've been able to retire like Marciano.

Keeping Rooney around and Cus not dying.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
Just rewatched Jones vs Virgil Hill. If jones can get that speed back for one fight and catch Tyson on the body I could see him taking this. Honestly it's upsetting that a fighter of Jones' caliber isn't getting the respect he deserves leading up to this.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 02:10:29 PM »

Was a big fan of both fighters but, not paying $50 bucks to watch an exhibition. 2 minute rounds, not sure if they'll have head gear on, no scoring will take place, 12oz gloves instead of 10, etc.

I was a huge boxing fan in the 80s and 90s, those were great years to be a fight fan, but lost interest in the mid 2000s or so when Floyd was the big name, I feel like he killed the sport with his boring, defense first style. Not taking anything away from him, it was very effective for him and he is clearly a top p4p boxer from a historical standpoint but just not a very fan friendly or exciting style.

It seems there has been a bit of a resurgence in the last few years though, not necessarily in the popularity of the sport, but just in the overall talent and competitive landscape. Lots of good and exciting fighters in the lower weight classes. Lot's of good fights being made and potential for interesting fights in the future.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 02:19:36 PM »
Was a big fan of both fighters but, not paying $50 bucks to watch an exhibition. 2 minute rounds, not sure if they'll have head gear on, no scoring will take place, 12oz gloves instead of 10, etc.

I was a huge boxing fan in the 80s and 90s, those were great years to be a fight fan, but lost interest in the mid 2000s or so when Floyd was the big name, I feel like he killed the sport with his boring, defense first style. Not taking anything away from him, it was very effective for him and he is clearly a top p4p boxer from a historical standpoint but just not a very fan friendly or exciting style.

It seems there has been a bit of a resurgence in the last few years though, not necessarily in the popularity of the sport, but just in the overall talent and competitive landscape. Lots of good and exciting fighters in the lower weight classes. Lot's of good fights being made and potential for interesting fights in the future.

Yeah after destroying Ricky Hatton, Floyd stopped really gambling. Though I think the Klitschko brothers clogging up the heavyweight division and refusing to fight each other also damaged the sport as much as Floyd bored everybody and took too long to fight the second best fighter (in a horrible clench fest)

I think I'll probably split the cost with my dad and bro in law but if I was alone I'd illegally stream it. Again I just have a hunch the egos are going to come out pretty quick and these two will attack. Pretty sure there's no headgear.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 04:47:13 PM »
Though I think the Klitschko brothers clogging up the heavyweight division and refusing to fight each other also damaged the sport as much as Floyd bored everybody and took too long to fight the second best fighter (in a horrible clench fest)

+1  While some fighters are must see TV, it seems like the popularity of the sport as a whole waxes and wanes with the heavyweight division.  Which is too bad, because some of the other divisions are really competitive right now.  And ESPN putting some Top Rank fights on cable TV is a good gateway drug.  I thought the Lomachenko-Lopez fight last month was an entertaining one that could easily have been on ESPN+ or PPV.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 10:36:11 PM »
Just rewatched Jones vs Virgil Hill. If jones can get that speed back for one fight and catch Tyson on the body I could see him taking this. Honestly it's upsetting that a fighter of Jones' caliber isn't getting the respect he deserves leading up to this.

Maybe cause the last decade of his career was really pedestrian and subpar outside of the Trinidad win?  So the recency bias compared to the legend of Tyson maybe?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 10:50:22 PM »
Maybe cause the last decade of his career was really pedestrian and subpar outside of the Trinidad win?  So the recency bias compared to the legend of Tyson maybe?

You're definitely right it was pedestrian but it was better than Mike Tyson's 5-5-2 since his first Holyfield fight.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 12:10:29 AM »
Well that was something. Nate Robinson clearly didn’t take this seriously at all, Jake Paul absolutely did and knocked him into another dimension. Holy hell. Hope he’s ok cause he looked rough out cold on the canvas,

As for the main event, did Roy Jones see the inside of a gym in the last 5 years? Dude was so bloated he looked like they pulled him from a river.  Tyson looked much sharper. The decision was an absolute joke. I know nobody took it THAT seriously, but anyone scoring that for RJJ wasn’t watching or was on the take.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 01:06:38 AM »
Well that was something. Nate Robinson clearly didn’t take this seriously at all, Jake Paul absolutely did and knocked him into another dimension. Holy hell. Hope he’s ok cause he looked rough out cold on the canvas,

As for the main event, did Roy Jones see the inside of a gym in the last 5 years? Dude was so bloated he looked like they pulled him from a river.  Tyson looked much sharper. The decision was an absolute joke. I know nobody took it THAT seriously, but anyone scoring that for RJJ wasn’t watching or was on the take.

I've tried to get up to date on who Jake Paul is and now that I know I've never wanted someone to challenge a legit boxer more in my life. Hell I'd put my two golden glove championships on the line to fight him. that fight was an abomination of boxing and Nate clearly thought he'd just win because he's a great athlete while Jake, who still showed horrendous fundamentals, clearly was ready.

I have to give Jones credit for attempting to look like old jones a couple times. I mean I takes guts to stick your head out with no guard against Tyson. But yeah no reason that should've been a draw unless maybe they were using the old compubox that screwed Roy Jones out of the Olympic gold medal lol.

But have to admit, as far as watching two >50yr old legends go at it goes it was slightly better than I expected. And if Mike Tyson is as insane as he looked at the end of it then he'll be challenging Tyson Fury soon lmao
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 01:19:52 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »
I've tried to get up to date on who Jake Paul is and now that I know I've never wanted someone to challenge a legit boxer more in my life. Hell I'd put my two golden glove championships on the line to fight him. that fight was an abomination of boxing and Nate clearly thought he'd just win because he's a great athlete while Jake, who still showed horrendous fundamentals, clearly was ready.

And you'd thrash him.  He's in that space between "dude who hits the pads at the gym or with his buddies" and high level amateur/pro fighter.  Its like when you go to the Y or a college rec center and you have the dude who was a walk-on or decent AAU player absolutely schooling the unathletic or unskilled guys hacking around on the court.  Their form isn't great, they carry, etc but they are above in comparison.  They would get absolutely mauled by any D1 player at even Chicago St or APB, much less a pro even in a bad Euro league.  Nate was the dude at the gym who thinks boxing is fun to mess around with.

feedback