collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFL Thread 2019-2020  (Read 321934 times)

hairy worthen

• All American
Re: NFL Thread 2019-2020
« Reply #1525 on: December 24, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »
Last night, Cousins was awful....but let's look at that 0-9 record.

ProFootballReference.com first 8 games, completed more than two-thirds of his passes (204-of-305) for 2,226 yards to go with 10 touchdowns and five interceptions. Cousins posted a quarterback rating of better than 100 in four of the eight games.     Again, this is why that stat is so dumb.
Except qb is by far the most important and influential player on the team. Wins and losses matter when you are qb and especially  when you make the investment  the Vikings made in him.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1526 on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »
Just looked at Khalil Mack vs. Za’Darius Smith. Stopped there because that’s already one player he’d easily replace. One guy has 8.5 sacks, 43 tackles, 8 tackles for loss. The other has 13.5 sacks, 47.5 tackles, 17 tackles for loss. I’ll let you decide which is which.

Why are records part of a QB’s stats then? Don’t ever see a running back’s record as a starter mentioned or a safety’s record as a starter. Constantly see a QB’s record.

Kirk Cousins not 0-9 in MNF games?

Za'Darius was also among the league-leaders in double-team rate for edge defenders as of mid-December. He won't win DPOY (nor should he - that's TJ Watt or Stephon Gilmore by a considerable margin, IMO), but he's having a hell of a campaign. More or less extrapolating what he did as a situational pass-rusher in Baltimore over the entire season.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1527 on: December 24, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »
Except qb is by far the most important and influential player on the team. Wins and losses matter when you are qb and especially  when you make the investment  the Vikings made in him.

No one is arguing it isn't the most important offensive player on the team....I'm sure you will agree that you can have a QB put up monster numbers and lose games.  It's a team game ultimately.  If you have no running game, all on the QB.  If you have a great running game, then the QB has to do less...look at the marginal QB's that have Super Bowl titles because they had insane defenses or great running games.   

John Elway for years willed his team to the Super Bowl only to be blown out.  Jim Kelly.  Etc.  It's a team game, the ultimate team game in sports.  Much like baseball, you can have great players but if your pitching staff sucks...you go nowhere...or if you have great pitchers and cannot score runs, you aren't winning.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1528 on: December 24, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
No one is arguing it isn't the most important offensive player on the team....I'm sure you will agree that you can have a QB put up monster numbers and lose games.  It's a team game ultimately.  If you have no running game, all on the QB.  If you have a great running game, then the QB has to do less...look at the marginal QB's that have Super Bowl titles because they had insane defenses or great running games.   

John Elway for years willed his team to the Super Bowl only to be blown out.  Jim Kelly.  Etc.  It's a team game, the ultimate team game in sports.  Much like baseball, you can have great players but if your pitching staff sucks...you go nowhere...or if you have great pitchers and cannot score runs, you aren't winning.
Of course but when you are a franchise qb you are judged on wins and losses. There is more to it than putting up numbers. You said it Elway willed his team to the super bowl.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1529 on: December 24, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »
Of course but when you are a franchise qb you are judged on wins and losses. There is more to it than putting up numbers. You said it Elway willed his team to the super bowl.

And lost, time after time...and pilloried for it....unfairly.  Let's look at AR, should he only have one SB appearance in his career?  Is that his fault?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1530 on: December 24, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »
Mac got too comfortable and lazy in my opinion. He was pig headed on certain things like not utilizing aaron Jones or changing up the offense. I think players started tuning him out including Rodgers. He lost the locker room to some degree. It was time for a change.

Having said that I believe he is an excellent coach. Great communicator to his players and will always have their backs. Excellent teacher and qb coach. He will have to be willing to change his offensive philosophies to some degree because it had gotten stale and predictable. He will have to be willing to run the ball which he never fully committed to. I think he has studied the league in his time off and will make adjustments. An innovative offensive coordinator would help. All in all he would be a very good choice.

Spot on. I was overjoyed to see him fired in GB. But, I think he would be a great hire in Carolina.

There is a shelf life for a head coach that McCarthy reached just as Rivers did. But, overall, an excellent coach.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1531 on: December 24, 2019, 04:56:43 PM »
hairy and Jockey ... thanks for your takes on McCarthy. It certainly would appear my team could do a lot worse. I'm sure they'll be interviewing several others. Will be interesting to see which names pop up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1532 on: December 24, 2019, 07:43:33 PM »
Dan Marino was the king of monster stats without Super Bowl results.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1533 on: December 24, 2019, 11:09:52 PM »

Don't remind me. I was a huge Dolphins (and Marino) fan way back when.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1534 on: December 25, 2019, 07:05:40 AM »

How can your forget the Super Bowl he won after being kidnapped, along with the mascot, by the Dolphins’ former kicker?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1535 on: December 27, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
Quinn is going to be retained as coach of the Falcons.  That's a mistake.  That team has been deteriorating for the past three seasons.  And what leads people to believe that it will be better?  Don't get teams that hang onto coaches like this.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:44:13 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1536 on: December 27, 2019, 11:39:49 AM »
Quinn is going to be retained as coach of the Falcons.  That's a mistake.  That team has been deteriorating for the past three seasons.  And what leads people to believe that it will be better?  Don't get teams that hang onto coaches like this.

Browns / Ravens wish they had stuck with Bill Bellichick as head coach.  Coach K.  Wojo  8-)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1537 on: December 27, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »

Who out there is better that Atlanta could hire That’s probably the driving factor.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #1538 on: December 27, 2019, 02:12:20 PM »
Who out there is better that Atlanta could hire That’s probably the driving factor.

I doubt they even thought about that. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1539 on: December 27, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »

Arthur Blank has the resources to hire just about anyone he wants. And finding someone better than Quinn shouldn't be hard. Quinn has a career record of 42-37, but his career record without Kyle Shanahan as his OC is 23-24 ... which is bad considering the talent he's had down there. He makes Jason Garrett look like an overachiever.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1540 on: December 27, 2019, 04:05:44 PM »
Antonio Brown to the Saints perhaps?  Since I don't want to be a tyrant and believe people should have 11 chances...I say go for it New Orleans.

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1542 on: December 28, 2019, 07:29:14 AM »
Tweet is inaccurate.  They didn't list injuring Aaron Rodgers as one of their top sports moments of the decade.  They just showed the picture. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1544 on: December 28, 2019, 10:55:14 AM »
Tweet is inaccurate.  They didn't list injuring Aaron Rodgers as one of their top sports moments of the decade.  They just showed the picture.

Might not list it as their top 5 moments like the Tweet says.  But when you show images of 5 things on the front page of your "Decade in Review" sports section and they are "Lynx Titles (lists the 4 years)," "Hiring PJ Fleck," "Minnesota Miracle," "Twins hit homers," and "Barr injures Rodgers" it sure seems to be highlighting it as one of the top sports moments of the decade.

Fake news

I wonder if Twitter were around when Charles Martin was ending Jim McMahon’s season if any fans from one team might say some really dumb things

This was the front page of the Star Tribune's newspaper.  Not Twitter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1545 on: December 28, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »
Really? If that's the case then Atlanta deserves to lose. With that thinking they should have never let go of Glanville.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1546 on: December 28, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
Fake news

I wonder if Twitter were around when Charles Martin was ending Jim McMahon’s season if any fans from one team might say some really dumb things
Fans of course. Newspapers probably not.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1547 on: December 28, 2019, 11:51:17 PM »
I have major concerns on Chase Young. If I were Washington (assuming they stay at #2 after tomorrow), I’m trying to trade that pick.

• All American
« Reply #1548 on: December 29, 2019, 10:48:06 AM »
Might not list it as their top 5 moments like the Tweet says.

That was my only point.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1549 on: December 29, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
I’ll repeat what I said last week - why is Jimmy Graham on this roster?

feedback