[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club  (Read 29349 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Re: 6 Marquette players ticketed for being in a night club
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
Whoa, local TV news dropping bombs. Bigger deal than the JS article.

WISN 12 led with the story and ambushed Vander on the sidewalk. He didn't say anything other than "you'll have to talk to coach."

Fox 6 used it as a second story, and say DJO was very drunk, tried to break into a private party, and ended up beating up someone who's planning on becoming a preacher. The preacher didn't press charges because he wants to leave this "in God's hands."

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2012, 06:15:55 PM »

WISN 12 led with the story and ambushed Vander on the sidewalk. He didn't say anything other than "you'll have to talk to coach."

Fox 6 used it as a second story, and say DJO was very drunk, tried to break into a private party, and ended up beating up someone who's planning on becoming a preacher. The preacher didn't press charges because he wants to leave this "in God's hands."

Wonderful
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
C-Ham didn't get railroaded.  He developed the policy that violated state law.  He was then overseeing the athletic department when athletes came under that policy which again broke state law.  He had to go because of his role with crafting the policy.  A head had to role, and it was C-hams for obvious reasons.  You should notice the policy has since been changed to be in accordance with the state law.

I doubt very much the athletic director had a hand in crafting the Dept. of Public Safety's policy for reporting sex crime complaints.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »

Surely, the crack journalists at the Journal-Sentinel would have investigated this incident fully and known about this possible addendum, no?

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
Article on SI.com they just posted on twitter...

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Marquette coach Buzz Williams confirmed a published report that six Golden Eagles players were ticketed for being in a bar earlier this year despite being not old enough to drink.
Williams said he handled the situation when it happened in January. He did not disclose details of any discipline.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Tuesday that the players were ticketed for being in a Milwaukee nightclub on Jan. 29. There was no indication they were drinking.
The players were freshman guard Todd Mayo, sophomore guard Vander Blue, sophomore forward Jamail Jones, freshman forward Juan Anderson, freshman guard Derrick Wilson and junior guard Jake Thomas.
"That was handled on January 29th with our team, that was a Sunday morning," Williams said. "It was handled with our administration on January the 30th."
Marquette faces Florida in an NCAA regional semifinal on Thursday. Given Williams' stance that the team already has dealt with the situation, the players were expected to be available for the game.
In a Feb. 24 game at West Virginia, Darius Johnson-Odom, Junior Cadougan and Blue sat out the first half because of an undisclosed violation of team rules. Mayo sat out the second half for a similar violation. It is not clear if those punishments were related to the bar incident.
The only part of the published report that Williams seemed to question was that the players weren't given tickets until this month, long after the January bar incident.
"That doesn't add up to me," Williams said. "But I'm not in the media, and all I can do is be accountable to our kids. And they've been accountable, and I've been accountable."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/2012/03/20/marquette.tickets.ap/index.html#ixzz1phd6veN5

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 20, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
F the media. Let's get these boys out to Phx and win a couple of basketball games. Those idiots did not know this happened in spite of the fact that multiple squad cars were called to the scene. This is 99% a non story and only 1% because the fella's involved are on the way to the FF.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 20, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
I was hoping there wasn't a fight they were looking for on the video referenced in the story. This story isnt going away any time soon. Hopefully more smoke than fire here. At a minimum, this will once again cast MU in a bad light. As I've said before, all the pontificating and talk about raising good human beings looks a little silly when these guys keep making news off the court, overblown or not. It's too bad, b/c I'm a huge Buzz fan.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 20, 2012, 06:35:03 PM »
Hunt is absolutely correct about one thing: If the MU players had attended Madison, the school administration would have provided them with liquor and women and they would have had the chance to be propositioned by an associate athletic director.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
I'm sorry I love Milwaukee, but the fact that this either leads off the news or is the second leading story is kind of pathetic. I understand that they represent MU as basketball players, yet as we have repeated they are 18-22 year old kids and this stuff happens. The fight is the dissapointing aspect to me, yet this is being blown out of proportion.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Goose

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2012, 06:41:09 PM »
There was not a fight....stupid behavior at the joint but not a fight. I was surprised this did not leak earlier because of the number of police involved in a minor incident.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #135 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
I do find comical that a future preacher is at that club, didn't know that they partied.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »
There was not a fight....stupid behavior at the joint but not a fight. I was surprised this did not leak earlier because of the number of police involved in a minor incident.

I know you may not want to explain, but it would be appreciated if you would explain without naming names. It would help clear things up and ease some people who may be assuming the worst.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2012, 06:50:33 PM »
I doubt very much the athletic director had a hand in crafting the Dept. of Public Safety's policy for reporting sex crime complaints.

The Athletic Director was the university General Counsel prior to becoming the athletic director.  In his position as General Counsel he set the policy for which Public Safety.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
When you are a private school surrounded by a lot of haters with cell phones and cameras and Badger allegiances, then you have to be more careful.  There are haters over at UWM, haters throughout the city that would do anything to bury MU.
It was anti-Marquette sentiment that buried the Wisconsin Ave. redevelopment plan in the mid-1990's. That program was called.....wait for it........Avenue Commons.
We Are Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »
SQUIRMY

I would call his comments smarmy, not squirmy. 

I harken you back to a different time when Gato, myself, Houston Warrior (another attorney), Pakuni, and the gang were talking about this as a violation of state law.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27360.msg312267#msg312267

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2012, 06:56:14 PM »

DJO is 6'2" and 222 pounds of fast-twitch muscle fibers. DJO lays wood on someone, and they are pressing charges from their hospital bed. This didn't happen.

This is a non-story that will unfortunately be a distraction. Life in the public eye, boys.

Get a W on Thursday and this is ancient history.

PS: Thanks to Peyton Manning, who I've always liked, from keeping a little local story like this from being a national story during a week where newswriters are dying for stories. We owe you a cold Miller, 18.
We Are Marquette

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
I'm sorry I love Milwaukee, but the fact that this either leads off the news or is the second leading story is kind of pathetic. I understand that they represent MU as basketball players, yet as we have repeated they are 18-22 year old kids and this stuff happens. The fight is the dissapointing aspect to me, yet this is being blown out of proportion.

It's the quantity of events, not the quality of the event.  That is what you guys keep ignoring.  This stuff goes away how?  When our players stop doing stupid things that end up resulting in police activity.  It really is that simple.  We will need to be out of the news for several years because the media loves to say "it was just 3 months ago when other Marquette players were involved in another episode".  That is how news works.  We can deny it all we want.  We can say the incident is nothing (which it looks to be, though a fight adds a level of doubt) but there are compounding effects in the news.  

Incidents, however isolated and minor, will be connected in one fashion or another.  You can count on it.  Buzz must be losing his mind with some of the behavior. They have to be smarter than this.  For their coach and for themselves.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
People in Wisconsin have way too much time on their hands.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »
Here is a link to the Fox 6 story.  An anonymous source plus the anonymous sources family member.  Sort of anonymous squared:

http://fox6now.com/2012/03/20/underage-mu-basketball-players-busted-for-being-in-night-club/

I predict this story has no legs.
Ludum habemus.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »
Here is a link to the Fox 6 story.  An anonymous source plus the anonymous sources family member.  Sort of anonymous squared:

http://fox6now.com/2012/03/20/underage-mu-basketball-players-busted-for-being-in-night-club/

I predict this story has no legs.

That story looks like it was written by a 4th grader. Hard to take seriously.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »
I heard Juan Anderson cut off somebody's arm at the bar. Turns out the guy was a piano vituroso with a brilliant career ahead of him. Sad story.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2012, 07:11:15 PM »
I like how their headline on the news video is "Underage Drinking Citations"

Serioulsy... wtf... Buzz just looks pissed, I'm pissed for him.

I hope they win this thing or at least get past this weekend and can give a big f-u to Milwaukee media requests.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:14:42 PM by dw3dw3dw3 »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2012, 07:16:03 PM »
I like how their headline on the news video is "Underage Drinking Citations"

Serioulsy... wtf... Buzz just looks pissed, I'm pissed for him.

I hope they win this thing or at least get past this weekend and can give a big f-u to Milwaukee media requests.

A report on underage drinking tickets?  Just think if they reported on all the underage drinking tickets from the Milwaukee area High Schools.  They might not have time to report on anything else.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »
A report on underage drinking tickets?  Just think if they reported on all the underage drinking tickets from the Milwaukee area High Schools.  They might not have time to report on anything else.

They didn't even get underage drinking tickets! This is a frackin joke.

ceh

• Starter
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
Not pressing charges because he wants to become a preacher ... wtf

I can't believe the reporter actually quoted that on air.  I nearly fell out of my chair laughing.