[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cincinnati Enquirer Post Mortem  (Read 4167 times)

BLWarrior91

• All American
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer Post Mortem
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 07:35:33 AM »
Miller is correct in that rebounding and turnovers is how Marquette won.  It certainly wasn’t our shooting…lol.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 07:45:26 AM »
I think he is discounting the fact that Marquette forced many of those turnovers though.

TFlegend

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:03:30 AM »
Didn't see much wrong with Miller's comments.  His "they forced 11 turnovers and we gave them 6" comment was probably about right, too. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 08:22:45 AM »
Boum was a one man show scoring all over the place but his lack of practice time contributed to his late turnovers?  I'm gonna call b-crape on that one. 

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 08:28:00 AM »
At one point MUBB had 17 points off of 15 X turnovers.

The Cincy Enquirer beat writer comes across as thinking any X turnover is unforced, and he is reluctant to creeit MUBB for some of those. MUBB does this to a lot of teams, and, is top 20 nationally at forcing turnovers, and in scoring offense.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 08:29:14 AM »
Add him to the list!

panda

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 08:29:24 AM »
Boum was a one man show scoring all over the place but his lack of practice time contributed to his late turnovers?  I'm gonna call b-crape on that one.

That’s a dodds level excuse. Much more probable is that once kunkel fouled out, they lacked a second ball handler to break pressure.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 08:39:42 AM »
That’s a dodds level excuse. Much more probable is that once kunkel fouled out, they lacked a second ball handler to break pressure.

Great point panda.  The simple truth is Xavier had every opportunity in the first half to have a 20+ point lead while MU was a complete dumpster fire.  They did not rise to the challenge.  Once both teams got into better rhythm in the 2H it was Marquette that got the extra possessions necessary to win the ball game.  They FORCED XU to cough up the ball and got multiple extra shot attempts through will and determination on the O-Glass.  We also dealt with insane moving screens the entire game and they were more pronounced in the 2H.  When XU was in perfect position to win the game, with a 4pt lead late, MU showed tremendous resilience and fight.  Especially in the final minute with the game on the line.  We earned the W, period. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 08:44:08 AM »
Great point panda.  The simple truth is Xavier had every opportunity in the first half to have a 20+ point lead while MU was a complete dumpster fire.  They did not rise to the challenge.  Once both teams got into better rhythm in the 2H it was Marquette that got the extra possessions necessary to win the ball game.  They FORCED XU to cough up the ball and got multiple extra shot attempts through will and determination on the O-Glass.  We also dealt with insane moving screens the entire game and they were more pronounced in the 2H.  When XU was in perfect position to win the game, with a 4pt lead late, MU showed tremendous resilience and fight.  Especially in the final minute with the game on the line.  We earned the W, period.

100% agree. Significant upgrade in team character from early in the season. I didn’t feel like the game was out of reach at any point last light. We limited mistakes, took smart shots and worked our butts off on the glass/50-50 balls.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 08:52:18 AM »
Guys, he's just covering for his player. Not everything is a diss of Marquette OK?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 08:55:23 AM »
Guys, he's just covering for his player. Not everything is a diss of Marquette OK?

I’ll do by best to avoid upsetting you in the future..

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 08:57:56 AM »
100% agree. Significant upgrade in team character from early in the season. I didn’t feel like the game was out of reach at any point last light. We limited mistakes, took smart shots and worked our butts off on the glass/50-50 balls.

That 7 turnovers stat is something we would have never seen under the last coach.  I thought we played poorly panda most of the game in our h-c sets.  Lots of dribbling, off balanced shots, and too much ball-stopping.  We never really attacked open spots that were there for the taking and were indecisive.  But the fact that we still managed to essentially turn the ball over only 3 times in the last 37 mins is amazing and was a huge feather in our caps that kept us in the game. 

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 08:58:11 AM »

Oso leaving Nunge to disrupt Boum was what caused one of those crucial turnovers. MAYBE helped slightly that Boum missed those three practices as well.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 09:00:06 AM »
That 7 turnovers stat is something we would have never seen under the last coach.  I thought we played poorly panda most of the game in our h-c sets.  Lots of dribbling, off balanced shots, and too much ball-stopping.  We never really attacked open spots that were there for the taking and were indecisive.  But the fact that we still managed to essentially turn the ball over only 3 times in the last 37 mins is amazing and was a huge feather in our caps that kept us in the game.

Nunge inside allows the perimeter defenders to really ramp up ball pressure. He’s good at defending ball screens too. 

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 09:00:57 AM »

Agree 💯 on not attacking open spots on the floor. So thankful that at the most critical time, Kam wasted no time driving and Omax found that open spot with the follow!

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 09:11:43 AM »
Miller always whined at Arizona, and that hasn't stopped here either.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »
That 7 turnovers stat is something we would have never seen under the last coach.
But, but, but Wojo popped balloons at practice to teach the guys how bad turnovers were. I can’t believe that didn’t help!

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 09:20:09 AM »
I saw his post game presser, and he definitely wasn't whining.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 09:22:48 AM »

Oso leaving Nunge to disrupt Boum was what caused one of those crucial turnovers. MAYBE helped slightly that Boum missed those three practices as well.

Sure. I think the missing practice thing is a bit eye-rolling, but what do you want him to say? Again, he's not going to publicly call out his player.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 09:23:37 AM »
This thread encapsulates how hypersensitive fans are to absolute nothingburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 09:33:01 AM »
Good for us Freemantle was out. Maybe a March rubber-match in NYC (btw, BE tourney could be epic!)

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2023, 09:36:47 AM »
Miller always whined at Arizona, and that hasn't stopped here either.

I didn’t like Miller at Arizona, but he’s been great for the Big East.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2023, 09:38:35 AM »
I agree with a few here that none of this came off as whiny to me.  Not that I ever like to side with Miller but I see nothing of note here.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2023, 09:40:09 AM »
At one point MUBB had 17 points off of 15 X turnovers.

The Cincy Enquirer beat writer comes across as thinking any X turnover is unforced, and he is reluctant to creeit MUBB for some of those. MUBB does this to a lot of teams, and, is top 20 nationally at forcing turnovers, and in scoring offense.

DIS ^^^^^^^^

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2023, 09:51:54 AM »

Exactly.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2023, 10:02:42 AM »
Most amazing stat of all? We were down 4 at the half and Xavier shot 70% overall and 71% from 3 in the second half. Finding a way to win given those numbers is incredible.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2023, 10:03:08 AM »
Great other teams underestimate MUs defense.
Let them walk into it blindly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2023, 10:32:29 AM »
This thread encapsulates how hypersensitive fans are to absolute nothingburgers

Totally this.

I didn't think Miller sounded whiny at all, and the beat writer pretty much only relayed facts and quoted Miller -- who did credit Marquette with forcing most of the turnovers. Boum not being able to practice did sound "excuse-y," but it's also a fact, and it was Miller answering reporters' questions.

We've all heard coaches and/or athletes whine. On the 1-10 Whine Scale, with 10 being "whiny little b!tch," this would be about a 1.1.

And then there's this Miller quote: "We could not get a defensive rebound." ... which sounds like something the typical Marquette fan has said about 100 times this season! Nice to hear an opposing coach have to say it!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 10:36:39 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2023, 10:37:50 AM »
Only the comment about Souley not practicing bugged me-
The dude had an offensive night like no other, but the late TOS were the byproduct of missing practice…. Ummmm

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2023, 10:43:54 AM »
The dude had an offensive night like no other, but the late TOS were the byproduct of missing practice…. Ummmm

Souley Boum played like the player of the year the whole game except the last minute. He was outstanding. Not sure he is a point guard, showed in the last minute he is not.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2023, 10:45:15 AM »
Souley Boum played like the player of the year the whole game except the last minute. He was outstanding. Not sure he is a point guard, showed in the last minute he is not.

He's averaging 5 assists and 2 turnovers per game this season.  He's a very good point guard.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2023, 11:05:24 AM »

Fair.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2023, 11:06:21 AM »

Yes.  That's fair to call out imo. 

MU90620

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2023, 11:13:05 AM »

In my experience kids are less focused in games where they miss practice leading up to games. They are just off a bit. However, it is also my experience that kids are always focused during scoring opportunities.  So I could see where missing practice would not impact his scoring, but would impact other more mundane aspects of the game.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2023, 12:07:41 PM »
He's averaging 5 assists and 2 turnovers per game this season.  He's a very good point guard.

Just not an end of game point guard.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2023, 12:12:38 PM »
Miller's presser was fine.    MU did a good job creating turnovers, but Xavier shot themselves in the foot.    Xavier was shorthanded, but they battled.    I did not sense anything derogatory about MU.     He knows he has a good team and knows when they are healthy they will be even better.     He lost a conference road game to a ranked team.    He isn't happy, but he has perspective.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2023, 12:34:32 PM »
Coach Miller is consistently very respectful of opponents in press conferences. Interviewing him immediately after what, from the X perspective, was a difficult loss is always going to be hard a thing to do.

It is clear Miller didn't want to throw Boum under the buss for his Big Blunder at end. I respect that.

Very delighted our squad beat a Miller coached team. Battles over the coming years between Shaka and Miller are likely to be much like last night. Hard fought classic rivalry Big East games.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2023, 12:35:52 PM »
Miller looks like he is enjoying himself being back at Xavier and in the Big East for the first time.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2023, 12:39:46 PM »
Miller looks like he is enjoying himself being back at Xavier and in the Big East for the first time.

Was he unhappy in Zona?  I think it's reasonable to assume he'll jump at another job. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »
I saw his post game presser, and he definitely wasn't whining.

Thought he was covering for his player and complimented the Marquette team a couple of times.   And about the turnovers, some were unforced for sure.  So I didn’t see it asps dissing MU at all really.  He lost a game he should have won.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2023, 01:23:32 PM »
Thought he was covering for his player and complimented the Marquette team a couple of times.   And about the turnovers, some were unforced for sure.  So I didn’t see it asps dissing MU at all really.  He lost a game he should have won.

Fans want coaches to throw players under the bus or rip them publicly.  It’s bizarre.  Of course, Miller would defend a dude that played on a bum ankle and played incredibly well for the most part.  Like you say, Miller was fine postgame in his comments
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2023, 01:33:07 PM »
Was he unhappy in Zona?  I think it's reasonable to assume he'll jump at another job.

Miller and Shaka have had very similar career trajectories.  Both left smaller programs for near blue bloods (maybe Texas isn’t quite that, but still) only to realize the grass isn’t always greener.  If Xavier can continue to meet Miller’s price, I could see him being there for a long time.  That would be good for the conference.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2023, 01:33:22 PM »

What makes you say this? Sometimes people realize the grass isn't always greener 
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2023, 01:37:09 PM »
Miller and Shaka have had very similar career trajectories.  Both left smaller programs for near blue bloods (maybe Texas isn’t quite that, but still) only to realize the grass isn’t always greener.  If Xavier can continue to meet Miller’s price, I could see him being there for a long time.  That would be good for the conference.

Well, that and the fact that Miller was on thin ice with the FBI investigation. I think without that, he’d still be at Arizona.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2023, 01:42:59 PM »
What makes you say this? Sometimes people realize the grass isn't always greener

Well, he was under investigation and was fired, and supposedly his wife never really liked it out there.  I think he sticks.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2023, 02:15:10 PM »
I don't know about not practicing in three days leading to the final turnovers, but I think it's completely reasonable to believe that Boum had a great offensive game overall, but playing 40 minutes on a bum ankle with the ball constantly in his hands and Stevie in his grill wore him down and led to him making a few mistakes at the end. I have zero problem with Miller's postgame comments. Hell, he even said that we forced them into 11/17 of the turnovers which I think is about right.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2023, 02:40:57 PM »
Just not an end of game point guard.

He sure was the first time we played them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2023, 08:40:55 PM »
The only crying I see is MUscoopers crying about an article in the opposing team's home newspaper.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2023, 07:26:30 AM »

He said at Muskie Madness that Cincinnati always felt like home for him and his wife and couldn't wait to get back to Xavier when offered. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2023, 07:39:53 AM »
He said at Muskie Madness that Cincinnati always felt like home for him and his wife and couldn't wait to get back to Xavier when offered.

Can anyone be truly happy when they have to attend something called Muskie Madness?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2023, 07:51:53 AM »
Can anyone be truly happy when they have to attend something called Muskie Madness?

As a side note, I love the throwback logo they have been wearing this year.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2023, 08:21:21 AM »
As a side note, I love the throwback logo they have been wearing this year.
I agree with this analysis.