[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin Coleman  (Read 3604 times)

Canadian Dimes

• All American
Justin Coleman
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
Anyone know where he will end up?  If he goes to a 5th year prep school i would imagine all the bigs go after him.

If he goes JUCO it could be a coup if he goes to one with strong ties to Buzz.

Seemed all along the only reason he did not end up at MU was it was too great of a risk with his grades. 

Kudos to Buzz as we ended up with Blue and Pitino ended up with nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Justin Coleman
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 03:04:04 AM »
Louisville will end up with Quincy Miller, so they'll be fine from a talent perspective.   Coleman has a lot of growing up to do and a ton of work academically.  A ton.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »
Pitino ended up with Dieng because Coleman's commitment gave him a huge advantage, much like we ended up with Blue because Maymon already being on the team gave us a huge advantage. Both Coleman and Maymon were key recruits even though their on-court contributions were/could be little if any. So saying Pitino ended up with nothing is a little misleading. I think taking Maymon and Coleman were risks that paid further dividends, therefore they were both worth it.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 09:59:20 AM »
Wouldnt be shocked if Coleman went the D-League route and then into the NBA draft next year.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
Supposedly he is going to Marshall. I would guess he is paying his own way and trying to get qualified for next year.

Prop 48s are not allowed anymore as far as I can tell so not exactly sure how this would work but I guess Marshall can accept anyone they want and then see what happens?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
Supposedly he is going to Marshall. I would guess he is paying his own way and trying to get qualified for next year.

Prop 48s are not allowed anymore as far as I can tell so not exactly sure how this would work but I guess Marshall can accept anyone they want and then see what happens?

Prop 48's are allowed by the NCAA. however, the Big East will not allow them. Not sure, but I do not think the Big Ten allows them either.

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
Could someone explain to me exactly what a prop 48 is? thanks

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
No major conference allows them. The mid-majors like CUSA, A10, Sunbelt, Big West, etc all allow them still. Wade was a prop 48 which is why all the major programs backed away.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »
Could someone explain to me exactly what a prop 48 is? thanks

Prop 48 was a rule set out by the NCAA in the 1980s after they determined that schools were letting in a bunch of questionable kids purely for academic reasons....e.g. the famous case where a kid graduated(I think from Creighton) without ever actually being able to read.  So the NCAA passed a resolution on the minimum necessary requirements to be eligible to compete at a division 1 school....certain GPA in core courses, certain SAT/ACT score etc.  If you didn't have those you couldn't play, but you could still attend the school if you met the school's own admissions requirements, and if you did a certain amount of work the first year you would then regain eligibility. 

A few years after it went into effect, it was effectively replaced by Prop 16 which made the requirements a bit tougher, but for whatever reason people have continued to refer to kids that go that route as Prop 48 not Prop 16.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
Prop 48 or whatever you want to call if dealt with partial qualifiers. The player either had the necessary course average or the necessary ACT score, but not both. If he was slightly short on one he could be a prop 48, which meant he had to sit out a year. He started his eligibilty as a sophomore, but could get the fourth year back if he was on the set schedule to graduate. This has been mostly replaced by players going to prep school.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 08:45:12 AM »
Prop 48 or whatever you want to call if dealt with partial qualifiers. The player either had the necessary course average or the necessary ACT score, but not both. If he was slightly short on one he could be a prop 48, which meant he had to sit out a year. He started his eligibilty as a sophomore, but could get the fourth year back if he was on the set schedule to graduate. This has been mostly replaced by players going to prep school.

The regaining the year of eligibility came after Prop 48 when they introduced the whole partial qualifier sliding scale as part of Prop 16.