collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 105595 times)

bma77

• Walk-On
Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #425 on: October 09, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
Notice I specified tomorrow.  Tomorrows ratings will likely be way down and I know people will immediately point to it to support their assertion, even though it is false. 

The nothing was also not meant literally.  Everything has an effect.I've stated that the Kap effect is minor if anything previously. 

Way to go off the deep end though and immediately attack the poster.  Especially given that you'd "in theory" be new here.  My guess is that you are not the former rational poster that went by bma, and instead are actually another reincarnation of chicos...no other way to rationalize a way over the top response.

Maybe I confused you with several other posters here that said there was zero impact for the season and did not parse out today specifically.  That thinking is idiotic.  If I unfairly responded to you, then I apologize.  Reading racially charged language like uppity, and other responses wholly dismissing why some people choose to not watch games had me upset.

Now, even though you limited it to just today's game, those boycotting the NFL today still have an impact today.  That doesn't make it nothing, capital letters or not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #426 on: October 10, 2016, 10:16:06 AM »
This is a very good article summarizing the problem.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/why-are-nfl-ratings-down-the-leagues-greed-has-finally-caught-up-to-it.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"There’s been an endless amount of hand-wringing and finger pointing about the NFL’s 11% dip in TV ratings thus far this fall.

It’s Colin Kaepernick’s fault. No, it’s because of the presidential election. Wait, maybe it’s live streaming. Or the Olympics. Or the progressive sports media. Or the lack of brand-name quarterbacks. Or Deflategate. Or CTE. Or Ray Rice.

While some or all of these have obviously had an effect on viewership, no one wants to address the elephant in the room: The NFL’s on-field product just isn’t very good right now — and the root of the problem is the league’s never-ending greed."

NOTE:  I am not sure "greed" is the fundamental issue here.  The CBA with the players, with the rookie scale, was in theory going to help veteran contracts, but it hasn't worked out that way.  Furthermore, and this wasn't touched on, but I think the limitations in off-season programs have hurt as well.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #427 on: October 10, 2016, 10:51:02 AM »
This is a very good article summarizing the problem.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/why-are-nfl-ratings-down-the-leagues-greed-has-finally-caught-up-to-it.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"There’s been an endless amount of hand-wringing and finger pointing about the NFL’s 11% dip in TV ratings thus far this fall.

It’s Colin Kaepernick’s fault. No, it’s because of the presidential election. Wait, maybe it’s live streaming. Or the Olympics. Or the progressive sports media. Or the lack of brand-name quarterbacks. Or Deflategate. Or CTE. Or Ray Rice.

While some or all of these have obviously had an effect on viewership, no one wants to address the elephant in the room: The NFL’s on-field product just isn’t very good right now — and the root of the problem is the league’s never-ending greed."

NOTE:  I am not sure "greed" is the fundamental issue here.  The CBA with the players, with the rookie scale, was in theory going to help veteran contracts, but it hasn't worked out that way.  Furthermore, and this wasn't touched on, but I think the limitations in off-season programs have hurt as well.

I thought that article was very good as well. I think what it boils down to is that the owners haven't been looking at the NFL as a product, but as a money making machine that just works and they are looking for ways to increase their profit margin at all times. As a result the overall appeal of the product has slipped in a myriad of ways that cumulative have the impact of decreasing the value of the product. Some of those reasons are within their control (age of the league, what is a catch debate, long games, overexpansion, etc) and some are not (cord cutting, external events like elections, etc) and things that are somewhere in between (anthem protests, criminal issues for players, injuries to star players, etc).

Basically it's the equivalent of Lingchi (Death by a thousand cuts)

If the owners started looking at the NFL as a product that they need to optimize and control the things they can control, the slide could at a minimum be stopped and very likely reversed. However, the ownership is blind to these issues because they are mostly greedy, rich, old, white men.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #428 on: October 10, 2016, 12:12:31 PM »
Kaepernick is AN issue, not THE issue.    And there are many.    And I say great.   If this is the start of the NFL death spiral, anything that hastens it on its way is to be celebrated. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #429 on: October 10, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
Kaepernick is AN issue, not THE issue.    And there are many.    And I say great.   If this is the start of the NFL death spiral, anything that hastens it on its way is to be celebrated. 

+1, the NFL is too big to be brought down by one thing.

Kaep, CTE, fantasy football oversaturation, criminals, poor product, breast cancer fraud, no fun league are all going to take chops at the tree.

bma77

• Walk-On
« Reply #430 on: October 10, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »

Finally.

Yes.  That is what most of us have been saying.  An issue.  Not the only issue.

Go back through this thread where the claims were of zero issue, NOTHING, no impact, or the equivalent.  Those are the people that need to look in the mirror. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #431 on: October 10, 2016, 01:42:07 PM »
Just stop.   I've read it all.   Lots of opinions.    A couple of demagogues.   
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 01:44:44 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brandx

« Reply #432 on: October 10, 2016, 03:27:26 PM »

I think what it boils down to is that the owners haven't been looking at the NFL as a product, but as a money making machine that just works and they are looking for ways to increase their profit margin at all times. As a result the overall appeal of the product has slipped in a myriad of ways that cumulative have the impact of decreasing the value of the product.

Smartest post in this entire thread.  8-)

bma77

• Walk-On
« Reply #433 on: October 10, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
+10000000000

The dumbest post in this thread.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #434 on: October 10, 2016, 04:23:33 PM »
The dumbest post in this thread.

ruth bader g. thinks kaps actions are lame as well

"I think it's really dumb of them," Ginsburg said. "Would I arrest them for doing it? No. I think it's dumb and disrespectful. I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it.
don't...don't don't don't don't

bma77

• Walk-On
« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2016, 04:39:30 PM »

ruth bader g. thinks kaps actions are lame as well

"I think it's really dumb of them," Ginsburg said. "Would I arrest them for doing it? No. I think it's dumb and disrespectful. I would have the same answer if you asked me about flag burning. I think it's a terrible thing to do, but I wouldn't lock a person up for doing it.

She's right, but I wouldn't hesitate to watch something else, especially if my team wasn't playing.

Over at hip hop and a few other AA sites, they are claiming the protests are working because of the ratings drop.  Hope they don't come here so the experts can tell them how wrong they are.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #436 on: October 11, 2016, 09:37:17 AM »
She's right, but I wouldn't hesitate to watch something else, especially if my team wasn't playing.

Over at hip hop and a few other AA sites, they are claiming the protests are working because of the ratings drop.  Hope they don't come here so the experts can tell them how wrong they are.

Why would people who are getting help for an addiction care that the ratings are dropping?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #437 on: October 11, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
The highlighted part seems to suggest that the ratings would have been down 10% without the debate.  And since they noted that the Packers and Giants are two of the more popular teams in the league, it would have been down even more if two "average" teams were playing.

------------------------------------

'Sunday Night Football' takes viewership hit against second debate
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/10/media/sunday-night-football-nbc-ratings-debate/

The Green Bay Packers' 23-16 victory over the New York Giants brought in an average audience of 16.6 million Sunday night. This was the lowest viewership for the broadcast since 2013.

The game, between two of the most popular teams in the NFL, had to compete with the second presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, which drew a huge audience of 66 million people.

Sunday's viewership is still a big number all things considered, but far below what "Sunday Night Football" usually brings in ("SNF" averaged 22.5 million viewers over all of last season, the largest audience in its 11 year run), and it appears that the debate was the major factor.

Packers-Giants peaked with 20.5 million viewers before the debate started. It also had an average of 17.2 million people watching following the debate.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 12:01:32 PM by Jesse Livermore »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #438 on: October 11, 2016, 01:26:02 PM »
The highlighted part seems to suggest that the ratings would have been down 10% without the debate.  And since they noted that the Packers and Giants are two of the more popular teams in the league, it would have been down even more if two "average" teams were playing.

------------------------------------

'Sunday Night Football' takes viewership hit against second debate
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/10/media/sunday-night-football-nbc-ratings-debate/

The Green Bay Packers' 23-16 victory over the New York Giants brought in an average audience of 16.6 million Sunday night. This was the lowest viewership for the broadcast since 2013.

The game, between two of the most popular teams in the NFL, had to compete with the second presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, which drew a huge audience of 66 million people.

Sunday's viewership is still a big number all things considered, but far below what "Sunday Night Football" usually brings in ("SNF" averaged 22.5 million viewers over all of last season, the largest audience in its 11 year run), and it appears that the debate was the major factor.

Packers-Giants peaked with 20.5 million viewers before the debate started. It also had an average of 17.2 million people watching following the debate.

I don't think that's a fair, let alone accurate, assumption.  If you gave 100 people a choice between watching part of something (be it a TV show, movie, game, etc.) or nothing at all, I'd bet that at least 10 would opt for nothing at all. 

Humans have an innate desire for closure and completeness, and so there very well may have been 2 million people - who having already decided that they were going to watch the debate - also decided that they weren't even going to bother with watching any part of the Giants-Packers game at all.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #439 on: October 11, 2016, 04:05:16 PM »
49ers just said Kaepernick will start Sunday at Buffalo.

brandx

« Reply #440 on: October 11, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
So the stadium should be mostly empty ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »
So the stadium should be mostly empty ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

No but it will allow to things ...

How much they boo him as an indication of how popular his protest is.  Yes this will be subjective but this is the exact thing many will try and determine.

The 49ers suck, they must thank god Cleveland exists.  So if the backup QB on one of the worst teams in football is terrible, the door is open to cut him and end this.

muwarrior69

• All American

brandx

« Reply #443 on: October 11, 2016, 06:39:21 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #444 on: October 11, 2016, 06:58:53 PM »

Lots of 'muricans are obviously liars, then.

True but it is still a factor and it's the only thing they can do to help ratings now.

Kap has to play well or he will be cut.  Again he is the backup on one of the worst teams in football.  So it should be no surprise if he us terrible he is out..

brandx

« Reply #445 on: October 11, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »
True but it is still a factor and it's the only thing they can do to help ratings now.

Kap has to play well or he will be cut.  Again he is the backup on one of the worst teams in football.  So it should be no surprise if he us terrible he is out..

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. Everyone needs to play well or they will be gone.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #446 on: October 11, 2016, 07:53:29 PM »

Lots of 'muricans are obviously liars, then.

when ya don't get the results you are looking for......punt, 'ey? 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #447 on: October 12, 2016, 12:53:08 AM »
The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. Everyone needs to play well or they will be gone.

Indeed, two weeks ago, the Panthers were talking about how happy they were about having a CB named Bene Benwickere healthy again after he had sustained a pretty bad leg injury last season. They were talking about how he had solidified an otherwise very young defensive backfield.

Then he got lit up for nearly all of Julio Jones' 300+ yards ... and he was cut.

And stupid Panthers ... they cut him even though he had stood for the anthem!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #448 on: October 12, 2016, 04:58:33 AM »
Indeed, two weeks ago, the Panthers were talking about how happy they were about having a CB named Bene Benwickere healthy again after he had sustained a pretty bad leg injury last season. They were talking about how he had solidified an otherwise very young defensive backfield.

Then he got lit up for nearly all of Julio Jones' 300+ yards ... and he was cut.

outrageous i say.  they should be nurturing him thru these difficult times, giving him 2nd, 3rd if not 4th chances to prove himself,  he has every right to be on that football team gosh darn it...at least until the packers play them ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #449 on: October 12, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »

Glad you are dry enough to post, MU82.

feedback