collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Ratings Are Down  (Read 105633 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Football Ratings Are Down
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2016, 06:56:30 AM »
I'd love to see stats of NFL player transgressions versus the rest of society. Frankly, I think the idea that they are a microcosm of the whole is complete BS.

No, it's because those are the ones that people listen to. When Robert Downey Junior makes a comment, it gets play in the press because people know who he is. When it's a supporting actor in a Lifetime original movie, no one pays attention because no one knows who that person is.

I poo-poo it because I don't care if the NFL folds. They can lose 10-15-100% and it's all the same to me.

1)I'm not ambious enough to run the numbers, but I haven't seen nor heard of NFL players raping robbing murdering assaulting anymore than society as a whole. As a matter of fact, you hear more often than before, football players not getting a pass b/c of who,they are as they did in the past. 

2) exactly my point illustrating kappernick vs Joe Callahan

3)That is what makes this country great-some may disagree with you, some may not.  The point is, those who are invested, either monetarily or emotionally deserve to be heard and deserve to act in the best interests of their audience

don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2016, 07:06:00 AM »
  "If you are so adamantly against his protest, maybe you should ask yourself why."

I am not against the protest.  As most people will admit, it's every bit of his right to do so.  I am against his choice of forums. He is invading an area that is not his to invade.  He is using someone else's venue for political gain. If it were not for this venue(NFL) he would be just another regular schmo like us and nobody would care.  He is forcing his political,views on EVERYONE at the expense of his boss. 

If one of my employees was telling everyone who walked in the door that we are all voting for a certain candidate or we are all for a fill-in-the-blank social cause, he/she is gone!!  Whether I agree with the position or not-G-O-N-E. end of story! 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #352 on: October 07, 2016, 07:29:23 AM »
  "If you are so adamantly against his protest, maybe you should ask yourself why."

I am not against the protest.  As most people will admit, it's every bit of his right to do so.  I am against his choice of forums. He is invading an area that is not his to invade.  He is using someone else's venue for political gain. If it were not for this venue(NFL) he would be just another regular schmo like us and nobody would care.  He is forcing his political,views on EVERYONE at the expense of his boss. 

If one of my employees was telling everyone who walked in the door that we are all voting for a certain candidate or we are all for a fill-in-the-blank social cause, he/she is gone!!  Whether I agree with the position or not-G-O-N-E. end of story!

Exactly right!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #353 on: October 07, 2016, 07:56:07 AM »

If, as you say, Kaepernick is using someone else's venue, to whom does that venue belong?
And why, if it's hurting his boss-man as much as you wish to believe, are they acting swiftly to stop him?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #354 on: October 07, 2016, 07:58:48 AM »
As noted above, the 49ers are one of the worst teams in football.  Kaepernick's protest might not be popular in his own locker room and contributing to their poor performance on the field.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/donald-trump-is-tearing-the-nfl-apart/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/trump-clinton-dividing-nfl-locker-rooms-racial-lines-article-1.2818861

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #355 on: October 07, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »
If, as you say, Kaepernick is using someone else's venue, to whom does that venue belong?
And why, if it's hurting his boss-man as much as you wish to believe, are they acting swiftly to stop him?

The boss-Man (NFL owners) are a dysfunctional group.  As I noted before, the owners suite is hardly a collegial club, it is a bunch of guys that want to kill off the competition as much, if not more, than the players on the field.

So stopping this falls to Goddell.  The guy that cannot do anything right.  He botched Ray Rice, deflate-gate, The move to LA and so on.

Goddell erred again thinking this was a bunch of nothing and initially gave it platitudes about first amendment and supported it.

Now Goddell is stuck, if he caves, the lefty sports media goes crazy on him.  If he doesn't and ratings continue to slump, the owners will fire him.

Bottom line is the boss-man is incompetent.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #356 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:57 AM »
I've had an epiphany.  Let the fans be offended.   It is their right.  I haven't watched ESPN's NFL coverage since they hired Limbaugh, and that was ages ago.  If this is the precipitating event that loosens the NFL's stranglehold on the American psyche, then by all means exercise your right to be offended.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:29:53 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #357 on: October 07, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »

Actually it is his right to protest there.  According to the rules established within the CBA between the NFL and NFLPA, a player doesn't have to stand for the anthem.  An owner cannot punish him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06/so-which-owners-have-told-players-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem/

"It’s an important question because neither league rules nor the labor deal allow owners to compel players to stand for the anthem. More specifically, no owner can take action against a player who refuses to comply."

So once again, it is yet another poor analogy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #358 on: October 07, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
The boss-Man (NFL owners) are a dysfunctional group.  As I noted before, the owners suite is hardly a collegial club, it is a bunch of guys that want to kill off the competition as much, if not more, than the players on the field.

So stopping this falls to Goddell.  The guy that cannot do anything right.  He botched Ray Rice, deflate-gate, The move to LA and so on.

Goddell erred again thinking this was a bunch of nothing and initially gave it platitudes about first amendment and supported it.

Now Goddell is stuck, if he caves, the lefty sports media goes crazy on him.  If he doesn't and ratings continue to slump, the owners will fire him.

He can't punish anyone for this.  The rules within the CBA don't allow for it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #359 on: October 07, 2016, 08:38:59 AM »

Actually it is his right to protest there.  According to the rules established within the CBA between the NFL and NFLPA, a player doesn't have to stand for the anthem.  An owner cannot punish him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/06/so-which-owners-have-told-players-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem/

"It’s an important question because neither league rules nor the labor deal allow owners to compel players to stand for the anthem. More specifically, no owner can take action against a player who refuses to comply."

So once again, it is yet another poor analogy.

Bazinga.

Wait...a player in the NFL being on a football field is invading an area that is not his to invade? For f**k's sake, HE IS PAID TO BE THERE!!!!!!! It is absolutely his place to be. And he isn't forcing his political views on anyone. You can pay attention to him or not. You can take his lead and learn more about BLM or not.

As far as the latter, he's not doing any of that. He's silently and peacefully protesting himself. If others join him, that is their right, but he isn't telling you who to vote for or what to believe. He is trying to bring awareness to a cause that is personal to him. If individuals choose to learn more about that cause and make an educated assessment after doing so, that is their right. If they choose to ignore said cause, that is also their right.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #360 on: October 07, 2016, 08:44:01 AM »
So we live in a society where some people believe that...

Kaepernick kneeling during the national anthem = forcing his views on EVERYONE.

MLB playing God Bless America, which is essentially a hymn = not forcing religious views on anyone.

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #361 on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:17 AM »

Rick Monday needs to take a civics class, they were only peacefully protesting.  Their right.  Supporters of Rick Monday, the same.  Intolerant fools.   :-[

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #362 on: October 07, 2016, 09:24:10 AM »
Rick Monday needs to take a civics class, they were only peacefully protesting.  Their right.  Supporters of Rick Monday, the same.  Intolerant fools.   :-[

Guess they don't teach reading at UW-Madison.  :-\
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #363 on: October 07, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »

Another dumb false equivalence. 

It wasn't "their right" to invade the field.  They could have burned dozens of flags on their own property.  If Monday would have stolen their flags in the process, he would have been arrested. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »

You really do live in your own reality. We've already been over why your statements about NFL owners are make believe.
The LA deal is exactly what the great majority of the owners wanted. They got the team they wanted in the stadium they wanted in the location they wanted with the owner they wanted. And as a bonus, they now have other cities (San Diego, Vegas, San Antonio, perhaps Oakland, eventually) ready to cut terrible deals to lure/keep losers of the LA lottery. It's been an absolute win for the NFL owners.
Botched deflate gate? He won deflate gate. Deflate gate is a heaping pile of dung, but he got exactly what he wanted, and the great majority of the owners (aka those not named Kraft) have backed him on it.

No he didn't.

Good point. Because if we've learned anything about Roger Goodell over the past decade, it's that he cares deeply about what the "lefty sports media" (another Heisy fantasy) says about him.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:22:23 AM by Pakuni »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #365 on: October 07, 2016, 10:18:08 AM »
Ok, Let's move on ....

Here is another idea about why NFL ratings are down, it comes from someone I work (his idea) with I have not heard it anywhere else and it has nothing to do with Kaepernick.

With Draft Kings and Fan Duel effectively being shut down, the NFL has lost a ton of fantasy football bettors.  This why the regional game (i.e., the noon kickoffs) TV ratings are only down 3% to 5% while the national games (Thursday, Sunday night, Monday) are getting clobbered.  His idea is you watch your hometown team (at noon) and if you're not betting, you don't care about any of the other national games.

Interesting idea, thoughts?

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #366 on: October 07, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Ok, Let's move on ....

Here is another idea about why NFL ratings are down, it comes from someone I work (his idea) with I have not heard it anywhere else and it has nothing to do with Kaepernick.

With Draft Kings and Fan Duel effectively being shut down, the NFL has lost a ton of fantasy football bettors.  This why the regional game (i.e., the noon kickoffs) TV ratings are only down 3% to 5% while the national games (Thursday, Sunday night, Monday) are getting clobbered.  His idea is you watch your hometown team (at noon) and if you're not betting, you don't care about any of the other national games.

I think this is true.  Fantasy also got infinitely more difficult to manage one the Thur game was added weekly.  Our league ended after 15 years and I am sure that contributed.  As a consequence my mild interest in the NFL is now zero.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #367 on: October 07, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »
   "Wait...a player in the NFL being on a football field is invading an area that is not his to invade? For f**k's sake, HE IS PAID TO BE THERE!!!!!!!"

You are right...paid to play football there, Eyn'a?

When the owners decide enough is enough, they will figure out some way to end it.  When is that?  When/if the money or bottom line starts to become affected.  That's all.  It may or may not get to that point.  If the players just get tired of the death threats, or feel they got their message across or just get plain ole tired of it or whatever, who knows where this is all going. 

I really don't care if kappernick et.al. Do their kneeling thing or laying down or squatting or...I believe all we're saying is that it IS having an affect on the product.  Am I going to stop watching over it-nope!  Whether you guys want to admit it or not, I don't care, but i believe it's wrong.  They have the right to do it, but it's wrong.  Get a samich board, join the BLM racists, whatever, but do,it on you're own time, not your bosses.   They didn't sign him up to be a voice for BLM or anyone else but the team.  That's why they can't wear other advertising crap, etc...the football field is being provided for the players to,play football, Wow what a unique thought, Eyn'a so?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #368 on: October 07, 2016, 10:40:11 AM »
Ok, Let's move on ....

It's a bit of a false premise.
Draft Kings and/or Fan Duel take players from 40 states, and the nine 10 in which they don't are mostly small, low-population states (Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Alabama, Delaware, Nevada, Washington, Iowa, Louisiana and Hawaii). I'm sure they've been dinged, but they're not close to being shut down just yet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 10:50:22 AM by Pakuni »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #369 on: October 07, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
   "Wait...a player in the NFL being on a football field is invading an area that is not his to invade? For f**k's sake, HE IS PAID TO BE THERE!!!!!!!"

You are right...paid to play football there, Eyn'a?

When the owners decide enough is enough, they will figure out some way to end it.  When is that?  When/if the money or bottom line starts to become affected.  That's all.  It may or may not get to that point.  If the players just get tired of the death threats, or feel they got their message across or just get plain ole tired of it or whatever, who knows where this is all going. 

I really don't care if kappernick et.al. Do their kneeling thing or laying down or squatting or...I believe all we're saying is that it IS having an affect on the product.  Am I going to stop watching over it-nope!  Whether you guys want to admit it or not, I don't care, but i believe it's wrong.  They have the right to do it, but it's wrong.  Get a samich board, join the BLM racists, whatever, but do,it on you're own time, not your bosses.   They didn't sign him up to be a voice for BLM or anyone else but the team.  That's why they can't wear other advertising crap, etc...the football field is being provided for the players to,play football, Wow what a unique thought, Eyn'a so?

After a big flag is draped over it for a national anthem of course.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #370 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »

1.  As others have pointed out, they cannot legally stop them from protesting.
2.  If they did ban this practice, fully expect many big stars to start protesting (and kneeling) to oppose the NFL.
3.  If those big stars protest, the NFL caves.  People tune in to see the stars, they really don't care about the anthem, they will silently protest in polls about how terrible it is, but then when a good game is on quickly turn back on the game...problem, primetime games have been terrible.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #371 on: October 07, 2016, 12:44:30 PM »
1.  As others have pointed out, they cannot legally stop them from protesting.
2.  If they did ban this practice, fully expect many big stars to start protesting (and kneeling) to oppose the NFL.
3.  If those big stars protest, the NFL caves.  People tune in to see the stars, they really don't care about the anthem, they will silently protest in polls about how terrible it is, but then when a good game is on quickly turn back on the game...problem, primetime games have been terrible.

"Big stars"?  And who would you guess would fall in to this category that would start dissing the national anthem?  Do I detect a straw Man?  Little fire, scarecrow?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »
My opinion: There are many small reasons that add up to the total drop of ratings.

Concerns about head injuries, domestic abuse, oversaturation of product, quality of games, gambling/fantasy football regulaty,...and even the Kaepernick protest.

Some people might have just one of these reasons, others may have multiple reasons why they don't watch.  But to say there is just one thing leading to the ratings decline, protest or otherwise, is inaccurate.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2016, 01:17:40 PM »
Ok, Let's move on ....

I was going to post this idea about a week ago, but was enjoying watching the dumpster fire. 

This is a large contributing factor along with....its an election year.  As others have shown, ratings were down in 2012 also.  The two combined easily explain this years downturn.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #374 on: October 07, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
"Big stars"?  And who would you guess would fall in to this category that would start dissing the national anthem?  Do I detect a straw Man?  Little fire, scarecrow?