[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Salaries for Wisconsin professors low  (Read 2867 times)

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
Salaries for Wisconsin professors low
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
At Marquette University in Milwaukee, professors earn an average $112,500, about $11,000 less than the average for all doctoral universities.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-wi-professorsalaries,0,678677.story

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Salaries for Wisconsin professors low
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
I'd be interested to see the peer rankings, as those matter the most.  It's a bigger problem if MU staff is underpaid relative to staff at DePaul or similar institutions.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »
Haven't really had much of a chance to read this report yet, but I have a sinking feeling that it fails to adjust for cost of living.

Not saying the professors don't deserve every penny and more, though.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
Also does not take into account specialties, I'm guessing Phil, Theo, Hist, etc are lower than Eng, Bus, Law, plus no MEd school to boost ave.

Also do the Priests skew the Ave down?
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
Also do the Priests skew the Ave down?

I don't believe so...It is my understanding that Jesuits are technically paid the same amount. The difference is...the majority of their salary goes back to the order (and thus to Marquette as well). But it shouldn't affect the averages.

But you are right about the lack of Medical School hurting us...at the same time..we have a Law School (which only Madison has) and Dental School (which no other school has)...so I'd say this ends up as about a wash.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:14:37 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »
The cost of living in Milwaukee is certainly lower than in many larger cities.  Average salaries for almost any job is lower in Wisconsin than in Chicago, New York, etc.  If this study doesn't adjust for that, it's not worth much.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »
At the UW schools, this is a serious problem.  It isn't simply the initial salary, it is the lack of an adjustment annually that is becoming an issue.  For instance, in the 2009-11 state budget, there are no raises for all faculty and staff in the UW System.  The good professors, those who work well in the classroom  AND those who brining in major research $$$, are starting to leave more and more for other schools.  That isn't a good thing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
While this is about professors & asst. profs ..

My MU roommate went on to get his PhD in History .. spent years trying to get a decent job teaching at the collegiate level.  Spent years as a part time prof at a few of UW's 2-year satellites.   I think he's finally on a tenure track at a small UW school .. told me his salary is in the low $40s .. unbelievable.  Here's a guy with a ton of schooling, PhD .. yet there are 20 other history majors all applying for each job.  No surprise, I suppose.

Yes, that's the history field, and it's certainly different for the technical stuff, engineering, chemistry, etc.   But I'll bet half the classes taught at the college level are done by guys just like him, willing to take $40k jobs because there just aren't that many of them out there. -- And those guys certainly didn't go into that field for the dough.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:50 PM »
hilltopper, you are correct.  The problem with History (and English, etc.) PhDs is that there are a ton of them and that they don't bring in the research $$$.  Furthermore they generally don't have skills that can be used elsewhere.  I mean you can teach in college, teach in high school, and...???

Big East Warriors

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
The cost of living in Milwaukee is certainly lower than in many larger cities.  Average salaries for almost any job is lower in Wisconsin than in Chicago, New York, etc.  If this study doesn't adjust for that, it's not worth much.

Bingo. Which i dont think this study adjusted for? Coming from NYC to Milwaukee is a huge cost of living difference..even coming from Chicago can be quite a large jump.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 10:12:42 PM »
hilltopper, you are correct.  The problem with History (and English, etc.) PhDs is that there are a ton of them and that they don't bring in the research $$$.  Furthermore they generally don't have skills that can be used elsewhere.  I mean you can teach in college, teach in high school, and...???

Work for a museum, historical society, archives, library, nonprofit... As a history major and museum studies grad student...it bugs me when say..."oh, so are you gonna teach?"  Yeah, there's not as much demand as maybe an engineer....but I still think you can do more with it than English

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 02:03:18 AM »
Work for a museum, historical society, archives, library, nonprofit... As a history major and museum studies grad student...it bugs me when say..."oh, so are you gonna teach?"  Yeah, there's not as much demand as maybe an engineer....but I still think you can do more with it than English

Not sure about that.

I think there are lots of good CEOs and heads of companies that have the liberal arts backgrounds. It all comes down to what you do with it.

Teaching at the high school level is probably a better gig for most history majors. It pays more and you can get into the actual content. And it's true, the cost of living adjustments in Milwaukee differs from CA or AK, much like the prices of homes in the respective areas.

I graduated with a history degree from MU and I'm at the elementary level. The degree is really less valuable at my level, though it aids me with research skills in my personal hobbies (i.e., updating MUWiki). ;)
SS Marquette