[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [PaintTouches]What Matt Carlino means for Marquette  (Read 11633 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]What Matt Carlino means for Marquette
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
Expectations! Have reasonable ones.

Yes!!

I'd like to think we'd have learned our lesson with Trent Lockett. We saw his numbers at Arizona State and assumed he would be a very good scorer for us. Then when he wasn't -- when we realized his ASU numbers had more to do with Pac-12 style hoops and with his role at ASU than with any great scoring talent he had -- we got down on him.

Finally, in the latter third of the season, we came to appreciate Lockett for the many things he brought to the table.

I hope we don't go all batpoop if Carlino isn't a star PG for us right out of the gate.

Awww, who am I kidding? Bats, prepare to poop!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »
"incoming freshman Sandy Cohen and Deonte Burton should fill out a three-guard offense well."

The only way that Deonte Burton plays guard next year is if John Dawson moves to power forward!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
Interesting stat PT tweeted:

Over the last 4 years Marquette PGs made 66 3 pointers.

Last year Carlino made 60.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
Dom was great at MU but The Dream, Lucky Lloyd, Doc, Sudden Sam, and Smith would have made him cry. The Dream is still talked about on the NYC asphalt.

Agree with your analysis but it is important to note that 4 out of 5 go back 30+ years.  I guess I'll argue that we've had exactly two top notch point guards this century.  I'm sincerely hoping that for one year Carlino can approach that level.  We'll be a much better team if he can.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »
Can someone serious please explain the infatuation with Duane playing the 2? I dont get it, I dont see it, hes never played the 2 in his entire life and hes only about 6'1"

I've heard he's 6'2".  Height doesn't really enter into it though, does it?  Being 6'6" doesn't make Michael Carter-Williams a second guard instead of a point guard anymore than being 6'1' made DJO a point guard.

Buzz said that Duane was more an "athlete" than a point guard.  And others (including Diamond Stone?) have said that they thought Duane was more of a second guard than someone who created for others.  Playing the point in HS (which Duane did) doesn't always translate into having the skill set to play that position in Division I ball.  I never saw Duane play in HS, but I could see how in the highlights I've seen on YouTube that you could say he's best qualities were three point shooting and creating his own shot.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »
Dom was great at MU but The Dream, Lucky Lloyd, Doc, Sudden Sam, and Smith would have made him cry. The Dream is still talked about on the NYC asphalt.

It also depends on which Dom we are talking about.  Arguably, he regressed each year he was at MU.  His freshman year he seemed almost Doc like to me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
It also depends on which Dom we are talking about.  Arguably, he regressed each year he was at MU.  His freshman year he seemed almost Doc like to me.

I think his freshman year he was at his best offensively, his junior and senior years were his worst years as a player, and his senior year, in my opinion, he was at his best as an overall player.  Became a true point guard and a completely lock down defender.

As far as my "one of the best" comments, I should've said one of the best I have ever seen (top 2), which would be within the last 25 years.  I would say Diener 1, James 2, Hutchins 3, Henry 4, at least from as far back as I can remember.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 08:08:15 PM »
I think his freshman year he was at his best offensively, his junior and senior years were his worst years as a player, and his senior year, in my opinion, he was at his best as an overall player.  Became a true point guard and a completely lock down defender.

As far as my "one of the best" comments, I should've said one of the best I have ever seen (top 2), which would be within the last 25 years.  I would say Diener 1, James 2, Hutchins 3, Henry 4, at least from as far back as I can remember.

I was never convinced that Hutch was really a PG.  I always saw him as a SG who was called the PG because of his height.  I'd be interested in your opinion.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
I was never convinced that Hutch was really a PG.  I always saw him as a SG who was called the PG because of his height.  I'd be interested in your opinion.

Might be true.  To be honest I was only 10 years old when he was a senior, so my knowledge of the game wasn't exactly the best at the time.  I just remember him being a favorite as I would play as him in our family room, and I looked up his stats and he was 15 points and 4 assists his senior year.  So to answer the question, I guess I went more off of stats than actually my understanding of how he was as a player.

Loved Henry as well.  Loved the jersey tug after 3 pointers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »
I know Duane was a big time recruit, but I think we are collectively expecting more out of him than he will realistically deliver next year. 

Why would you expect him to get starters minutes...or play a lot?  He is a freshman coming off an injury with a number of talented and/or experienced players in front of him.
And besides, just like Buzz, you do not want to see him play over Derrick.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »
Can someone serious please explain the infatuation with Duane playing the 2? I dont get it, I dont see it, hes never played the 2 in his entire life and hes only about 6'1"
Agreed, I don't get it either.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 09:08:51 PM »
And besides, just like Buzz, you do not want to see him play over Derrick.

So you apparently are still obsessed with me.  Kinda creepy.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2014, 09:11:09 PM »
I've heard he's 6'2".  Height doesn't really enter into it though, does it?  Being 6'6" doesn't make Michael Carter-Williams a second guard instead of a point guard anymore than being 6'1' made DJO a point guard.

Buzz said that Duane was more an "athlete" than a point guard.  And others (including Diamond Stone?) have said that they thought Duane was more of a second guard than someone who created for others.  Playing the point in HS (which Duane did) doesn't always translate into having the skill set to play that position in Division I ball.  I never saw Duane play in HS, but I could see how in the highlights I've seen on YouTube that you could say he's best qualities were three point shooting and creating his own shot.

And it's not like people are insulting the guy to suggest that he could play off the ball.  In fact it helps MU to be more versatile if they could have a back court with two guys with a point guard background.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »
Agreed, I don't get it either.

Theoretically if he's possibly better than anybody else at the shooting guard position but not better than one of the point guards then it may be beneficial to have him play the shooting guard position. We went to the NCAA Tournament with a starting backcourt of Maurice Acker and David Cubillan not too long ago. That's an average height of about 5'8". A backcourt averaging 6'2" is not a problem. You can get away with being small in college basketball. Get your best 5 players on the court. The thing Duane does best is score the ball. If somebody else distributes the ball better then you might as well have them on the court together and let the guy who distributes it better be the point guard and let Duane go score.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
Theoretically if he's possibly better than anybody else at the shooting guard position but not better than one of the point guards then it may be beneficial to have him play the shooting guard position. We went to the NCAA Tournament with a starting backcourt of Maurice Acker and David Cubillan not too long ago. That's an average height of about 5'8". A backcourt averaging 6'2" is not a problem. You can get away with being small in college basketball. Get your best 5 players on the court. The thing Duane does best is score the ball. If somebody else distributes the ball better then you might as well have them on the court together and let the guy who distributes it better be the point guard and let Duane go score.

And it's not as though modern basketball is bound by the traditional 1-5 positions on offense.  There are all sorts of ways you can play a bunch of good ball handling guards on the floor at once.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »
I am a huge fan of Dom James but I wouldn't put him in the MU Top 5 PGs.

I think Cordell Henry was a better point guard than James. James was the most overrated MU player I can recall. Nobody else is close.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »

I agree. I'll bet he curses Tanned Tommy every night for advising him to return for his sophomore year.

One other PG I would rate above Dom is Mandy Johnson.

Here's a link showing the PGs to come out of St. Anthony's and St. Pat's. Unbelievable.

What I wouldn't give to have Mandy Johnson lacing up the Jordans for Marquette, again.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/B3Z0o0n_EeCkhgAcxJSkrA/all-time-st-patrick-vs-st-anthony-showdown.htm

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »

I think it is out of necessity. We will be tiny next year, so it will probably require us to utilize four guard sets. That means all of our guards will need to play out of position at some point. If you look at our four point guards, Duane seemingly is the most likely to have the ability to slide over to the two. Carlino is assumed to be the best of the four at this point so you want him at the most important position (point guard) and Derrick can only play the one. That leaves Duane and Dawson. It is assumed that Duane is more talented than Dawson, ergo he makes the switch to the wing.

You usually don't see a "PG by committee" approach. You usually have a starter and a backup. We are just trying to figure out where the other 2 PGs will fit in. My assumption is that Carlino/Derrick will run the point and Dawson/Duane will play off the ball. Maybe Carlino will play off the ball instead. Maybe Derrick won't get minutes. Maybe Duane won't. Maybe Dawson won't. Maybe Diamond Stone will reclassify to the 2014 class and commit to us and be a point forward! Who knows?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.