Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Basketball Only Schools Meeting On Monday  (Read 11628 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Big East Basketball Only Schools Meeting On Monday
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Must have been an interesting but short teleconference with Nova putting in an application to join the ACC. We're all on our own. At least they are being pro-active and not sitting on their hands

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Agreed.  Add ND to that list and you have a very solid 8 team basketball only conference....if you want 10 teams....add Butler and Xavier....if you wanted the religious focus then substitute Dayton for Butler and off we go.

I think this is what is most likely to happen when everything is over with. MU, Nova, G Town, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Butler, Xavier, DePaul.  This conference would look to get 3-4 NCAA teams a year.

I would have to imagine that Butler and Xavier would love to join a conference like that.  Butler especially.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I think this is what is most likely to happen when everything is over with. MU, Nova, G Town, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Butler, Xavier, DePaul.  This conference would look to get 3-4 NCAA teams a year.

I would have to imagine that Butler and Xavier would love to join a conference like that.  Butler especially.

Seven of those teams made the tourney last year.
Granted their conference SOS would dip some in this new setup, but not much. no reason the top 5-6 teams of that conference couldn't have a realistic shot at a tourney bid every year, especially with tough OOC schedules.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
Not Nova.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-fiu-sidebar-0918-20110917,0,2585716.story

Unless the ACC is looking to grow by more than 16, Nova isn't going there. Why would the ACC take a non FBS program when FBS programs like UConn, USF and Rutgers (or even Notre Dame) are there for the taking?

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Maybe I'm naive but why aren't we drawing up a shortlist of teams to join the Big East instead of dwelling on who's leaving?

Xavier
Butler
Temple
George Washington
Memphis
Kentucky (perhaps?)
Houston
Richmond
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
Maybe I'm naive but why aren't we drawing up a shortlist of teams to join the Big East instead of dwelling on who's leaving?

Xavier
Butler
Temple
George Washington
Memphis
Kentucky (perhaps?)
Houston
Richmond

Kentucky? Why would they leave the SEC?
Nova probably doesn't want to be in a conference with Temple, so eliminate one or the other. I prefer to have Nova.
You probably can forget about Hoston and Memphis as well.

Anyhow, the nonfootball members of the Big East held a conference call today, so this is probably exactly what they're doing.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »

Xavier
Butler
Temple
George Washington
Memphis
Kentucky (perhaps?)
Houston
Richmond

Because we are fans and it doesn't matter what lists we come up with.  I would hope the commissioner is doing something to this effect.  I would hope MU is looking out for their best interests, which may or may not include doing this.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Kentucky (perhaps?)

Ok, I'll bite.

Why would Kentucky leave the SEC?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
Ok, I'll bite.

Why would Kentucky leave the SEC?

Because the SEC is going to invite Louisville. 

That really didn't need teal, did it?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »
Anybody know if the A-10 has some sort of TV contract.  What kind of revenue does that pull in?   Not saying its a pretty option, I'm just more curious as to what it would look like as a baseline.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
Anybody know if the A-10 has some sort of TV contract.  What kind of revenue does that pull in?   Not saying its a pretty option, I'm just more curious as to what it would look like as a baseline.

How many A10 games do you recall watching on TV?  That may give you the answer to both questions.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
B-ball only conference seems like the obvious/safest route.

However, I'm still intrigued by being the cherry on top of a Big Ten sundae.

I know it's unlikely, but as all of these large power grabs occur, a hoops only school located in the midwest that produces some tournament income has to be somewhat attractive.

If the Big10 moves to 14 or 16 football teams, maybe they would add 2 b-ball only schools (MU and DePaul) on top.

From a Big 10 perspective:
- Travel costs are minimal.
- You get the Chicago market (not a huge college town, but could get more interesting with DePaul, UofI and Northwestern in the same conference) .
- Plus, Chicago has a ton of Big10 alumni in the area, so DePaul attendance would go up immediately during conference play.
-You get MU, which produces some tournament revenue and plays in a large arena (compared to most Big10 arenas).

Obviously the Big10 has their own agenda and criteria that I know nothing about... but like I said, as a cherry on top, I can see MU + DePaul being attractive.

It's almost free $ for the Big 10. The 2 hoops schools won't get any of the football $, and will add to the hoops $.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
It's not going to happen no matter how much you are intrigued by it.  I linked this in another thread, but if this accounting is true, this is exactly the reason why they don't want bball schools in their conference - just more voices to listen to who aren't on the same page.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=515398

"Until this past year, Pitt was 100 percent committed to the future of the Big East and I would argue that no president has fought harder for the league than has Nordenberg. However I would say that the school's belief in the league and its future began wane last spring over the whole Villanova debacle.

Adding VU for football just was - and remains - among the very the dumbest ideas in the history of major college athletics and I think it shocked, alarmed and disappointed Pitt that so many other schools fought so hard to implement it and that so many other football schools were willing to leak it to the press (cough, Louisville, cough South Florida) in an effort to pressure Pitt into capitulating. Incidentally I believe that West Virginia and Rutgers hold the exact same view on the matter but you will have to ask them.

Pitt wanted to add Central Florida but was willing to settle for East Carolina and maybe even Houston. However as the process dragged along it became clear that some of the football schools and just about all of the basketball schools - minus ND, which always manages to stay above the fray in these matters - were not going to allow any package of teams in the league that did not include Villanova. Pitt (and West Virginia and Rutgers) just couldn't understand that mentality and that caused a deep rift. Honestly until this morning I had always been led to believe that SU was on the other side of this issue but obviously that was a misperception on my part."

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
I asked the question earlier, what would be more beneficial to MU?  A basketball only conference or being the only (or one of two) basketball only members?  I can see scenarios where something like this plays out.  Is it the most realistic?  Doubtful, but I would expect MU is investigating such.

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »
A lot of those suggestions, really just thinking of good matchups that would be rivalries....

Xavier - UC
Memphis - LVille
GTown - GW
Nova - Temple
Kentucky - LVille

Kentucky, I'll admit - it's a huge longshot, but if we're looking at a potential Basketball-centric league, it's worth a call.  UK Probably won't leave that SEC Football TV Contract money easily, but their football team is 2nd fiddle to basketball and probably always will.  It's those schools we should be focusing on - Kansas, K-State, Kentucky, Temple, Memphis... and schools without programs like Xavier and Butler

Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
A lot of those suggestions, really just thinking of good matchups that would be rivalries....

Xavier - UC
Memphis - LVille
GTown - GW
Nova - Temple
Kentucky - LVille

Kentucky, I'll admit - it's a huge longshot, but if we're looking at a potential Basketball-centric league, it's worth a call.  UK Probably won't leave that SEC Football TV Contract money easily, but their football team is 2nd fiddle to basketball and probably always will.  It's those schools we should be focusing on - Kansas, K-State, Kentucky, Temple, Memphis... and schools without programs like Xavier and Butler

No way any team leaves the SEC to join that conference. It would be criminally idiotic.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
It's not going to happen no matter how much you are intrigued by it.  I linked this in another thread, but if this accounting is true, this is exactly the reason why they don't want bball schools in their conference - just more voices to listen to who aren't on the same page.

You're right, in the current Big East format, the FB schools don't like/want the hoops schools. Too many basketball schools involved.

However, in a newly formed Big10, they could add a couple of hoops schools who have no real power (which is the issue), but still add to the $$.

It's a low risk option for the Big10 if they go to 14/16. They could add MU and DePaul. If after a certain amount of time they don't like them, the FB schools could send them packing and the Big10 is still left with the core members they want.

You're correct that it's highly unlikely... but if the AD's and presidents are after $$, they could get a little more without much risk by adding 2 hoops only schools.

Even if MU received such an invite, it's a risky proposition because you know the FB schools could turn on you at any point.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
You're right, in the current Big East format, the FB schools don't like/want the hoops schools. Too many basketball schools involved.

However, in a newly formed Big10, they could add a couple of hoops schools who have no real power (which is the issue), but still add to the $$.

It's a low risk option for the Big10 if they go to 14/16. They could add MU and DePaul. If after a certain amount of time they don't like them, the FB schools could send them packing and the Big10 is still left with the core members they want.

You're correct that it's highly unlikely... but if the AD's and presidents are after $$, they could get a little more without much risk by adding 2 hoops only schools.

Even if MU received such an invite, it's a risky proposition because you know the FB schools could turn on you at any point.
No way UW would sign off on an MU invite, even assuming the B10 would add bball-only schools, which it won't. But in the pipedream scenario, MU would have to jump at the chance to affiliate with arguably the country's most important conference, even in a diminished capacity.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »
Kentucky would be leaving a $20M per year conference to join a $4M per year conference?

Cmon....not going to happen.  There is a reason that the SEC and Big Ten doesn't have exit fees.

MUHoopsfan6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
From what I have read there is a 24 month notification policy in the Big East.  That means we have 24 months to come up with a plan to add D1 football.  Would a Marquette Univ. with a new football program and a good basketball program have value to a major conference?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
Any way you wanna spin this will still result in MU bending over and grabbin' it's collective ankles.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
You have to be kidding? You think MU is going to start a football program from scratch and in 2 years be looked at by a BCS league?

short answer is...no.

From what I have read there is a 24 month notification policy in the Big East.  That means we have 24 months to come up with a plan to add D1 football.  Would a Marquette Univ. with a new football program and a good basketball program have value to a major conference?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »

It would be a crappy football team which takes a share of their money.  Adding football isn't going to help.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
I bet Conference USA would welcome us back.

feedback