[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Basketball Only Schools Meeting On Monday  (Read 11624 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Big East Basketball Only Schools Meeting On Monday
« on: September 19, 2011, 07:06:49 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2011/09/19/2011-09-19_big_east_schools_eye_split.html?r=sports

The non-football members of the Big East are having a teleconference Monday to discuss their future.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Big East Basketball Only Schools Meeting On Monday
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »
Honestly, at this point, I hope we propose a basketball only conference and start sending out invites. The other football schools are all looking for a landing pad and we're better off being proactive than reactive.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
Couldn't agree more brewcity.  The fact that its the basketball only schools rather than all of the remaining Big East teams, makes it look like they may go this route.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:31:26 AM »
Honestly, at this point, I hope we propose a basketball only conference and start sending out invites. The other football schools are all looking for a landing pad and we're better off being proactive than reactive.

I have been wondering, which would be better for MU?  A basketball only conference or being the only or one of two basketball members of a BCS Conference? 

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:41:23 AM »
Couldn't agree more brewcity.  The fact that its the basketball only schools rather than all of the remaining Big East teams, makes it look like they may go this route.

My biggest concern is what becomes of the BCS?  Will the "superconferences" try to BCS all the other sports - including basketball?  Will they breakaway from the NCAA for all sports and have their own tournaments?  This could get interesting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »
That is the big issue right there.  I can live with a basketball-only conference.  However if the BCS schools decide to leave the NCAA all together, and start running their own tournament, we're screwed.  I doubt this will happen in the short-term though.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:53:29 AM »
That is the big issue right there.  I can live with a basketball-only conference.  However if the BCS schools decide to leave the NCAA all together, and start running their own tournament, we're screwed.  I doubt this will happen in the short-term though.

When I mentioned this to a friend, his response was "you better not srew with Georgetown."  Georgetown is in the heart of DC.  I can see the congress getting inovlved in this at some point (not saying I agree with that or it is right/wrong - that is a debate for another time).  Georgetown weilds a great deal of influence in the nations Capital.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 08:19:37 AM »
When I mentioned this to a friend, his response was "you better not srew with Georgetown."  Georgetown is in the heart of DC.  I can see the congress getting inovlved in this at some point (not saying I agree with that or it is right/wrong - that is a debate for another time).  Georgetown weilds a great deal of influence in the nations Capital.

Then good thing Father Pilarz is tight with Georgetown.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:12 AM »
I have been wondering, which would be better for MU?  A basketball only conference or being the only or one of two basketball members of a BCS Conference?

I think it's just about reality. The reality of the situation is that with these leagues growing, who's going to want that scenario? The ACC won't need basketball-only schools. The SEC and Big 10 don't care about adding basketball only schools. And the PAC-12 looks like they'll be expanding to 16 without needing basketball-only schools. Do you really think any of these teams will think "we need to get to 18 in basketball, let's call Marquette and Georgetown"? I don't mean to be an ass at all, I just think that when Syracuse and Pitt bolted, it hailed the end of the BCS-level football/basketball hybrid. You'll still see it in leagues like the A-10 and CUSA, but is that what we want?

I think your other question is more poignant (and potentially dangerous for us). Will they try to BCS basketball? Have a 32-team tournament using only the top 8 schools in each of the 4 surviving BCS conferences? Or maybe only invite one school from each non-member conference at most to get to 64? I'm not sure how that'd work, and frankly, I imagine there'd be quite a few lawsuits if it came to that. But they've already done a great deal of damage to the earning potential of non-BCS member schools in football, so why not? If they do, we'll end up screwed no matter how this shakes out, unless they decide that they want one basketball-only BCS conference, in which case staying aligned with Georgetown (and maybe also Providence) is very important.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
I think it's just about reality. The reality of the situation is that with these leagues growing, who's going to want that scenario? The ACC won't need basketball-only schools. The SEC and Big 10 don't care about adding basketball only schools. And the PAC-12 looks like they'll be expanding to 16 without needing basketball-only schools. Do you really think any of these teams will think "we need to get to 18 in basketball, let's call Marquette and Georgetown"? I don't mean to be an ass at all, I just think that when Syracuse and Pitt bolted, it hailed the end of the BCS-level football/basketball hybrid. You'll still see it in leagues like the A-10 and CUSA, but is that what we want?

I posted without knowing whether a BCS league would have an interest.  I can see, though, from a political standpoint the desire/need to do so.  Right now, the BCS is being set up for some potential legal (some started already) action and the real possibility of a congressional affront.  They may look to adding a basketball school or two to say "it's not all about football and locking out the non-BCS schools." 

This was just a post for thought and discussion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 08:42:10 AM »
I see basically two options.   Absorb the remnants of the B12, or go forward as a basketball only conference, leaving Louisville, Cinci, South Fl to find their own way. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
Have a plan in place, but hold off until we see what happens in the next few days.  A conference with the basketball schools and maybe Kansas, Kansas State, etc, and UL and UCinn is a better way to go... all schools would have to agree to a killer buy out to leave the conference unless 3/4 of members agree to let a school leave.  If the BE had a large buy out, there would be more stability (e.g. 25 million - some may have left, but it wouldn't be an easy decision).

Have two divisions with a lot of cross over games.  I'd hate to see MU loose the east coast connetions we are reestablishing.. and I'd also hate to act to quickly and forclose the possiblity of a conference with UL, UCinn, the Basketball schools and some of the B12.

Maybe Texas and ND would go independent in football and form and conference for other sports and we'd be included.  I wouldn't act too quickly, if the possibility of a BE conference with the remaining B12 schools exists... as long as there is a very large buy out.

One name that I don't see come up anywhere - Memphis...?  Must have the plague?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
Mean while WCC teams Gonzaga, San Diego and St. Mary's are recruiting and competing in PAC 12/14/16 whatever country. There is always a niche market somewhere.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
Would be nice to get Chico's perspective from a television angle, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »
Would be nice to get Chico's perspective from a television angle, aina?

Then email him... or you could just read this morning's Cracked Sidewalks post.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »

My biggest concern is what becomes of the BCS?  Will the "superconferences" try to BCS all the other sports - including basketball?  Will they breakaway from the NCAA for all sports and have their own tournaments?  This could get interesting.

The NCAA will henceforth be known as the NACC.  ESPN will reinevent itself as ESPACC.  JP Tokoto will be ACC Tokoto.  My next car will be a Ford ACC.  In years to come, the "super conferences" will get sick of sharing and break up and we will be back in a "reformative" age.  It happens with teams with too many stars and companies with too much of a monopoly.  Eventually much will be as it was these last few years.  But consolidation is inevitable.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »

For the first time, I'm sensing Marquette basketball is in danger. If football drives revenue and the football schools go their own way, we lose any chance we ever will have of again recapturing a national championship. We're competitive with anyone in basketball, but if football is THE driver  in intercollegiate athletics, then we're in trouble.

UConn and West Virginia are all but gone to the ACC. Which is interesting because among all ACC schools, only Florida State, Clemson and UWV have any kind of a football heritage. ACC football is a joke and is a poor country cousin to the SEC.

If the Big East were able to capture Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and retain TCU, we'd probably have a stronger, albeit geographically diverse, conference. Our football would still be bad, but our basketball would still be the nation's best (with KU, K-State, Georgetown, Villanova, MU and Notre Dame among the national leaders). But I question whether even this will happen now.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 10:10:13 AM »

If the Big East were able to capture Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State and retain TCU, we'd probably have a stronger, albeit geographically diverse, conference. Our football would still be bad, but our basketball would still be the nation's best (with KU, K-State, Georgetown, Villanova, MU and Notre Dame among the national leaders). But I question whether even this will happen now.

In that scenario, the New Big East would still be an elite bball conference... but those four newbies don't replace UConn, Syracuse and Pitt, and the ACC already has Duke, UNC, Maryland... BEast wouldn't be "the nation's best" by any stretch.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11:18 AM »
I was more worried last year when everything was going on.  Since then, there has been substantial public back-lash toward all of this.  I just don't think there would be enough public support for the football schools to eliminate the NCAA tournament as we know it.

If we can land in a respectable basketball conference with Nova, G-Town, St. Johns, DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence, and still have access to the NCAA tourney, I think we'll be OK.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:19 AM »
I was more worried last year when everything was going on.  Since then, there has been substantial public back-lash toward all of this.  I just don't think there would be enough public support for the football schools to eliminate the NCAA tournament as we know it.

If we can land in a respectable basketball conference with Nova, G-Town, St. Johns, DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence, and still have access to the NCAA tourney, I think we'll be OK.

Another poster mentioned the power of Georgetown in the Beltway and I think this is a very important point.  The power conferences need to tread carefully, as the political landscape makes a government intervention a very real possibility(and why we should absolutely be in lock step with Georgetown).

This is not intended as a political discussion but as a landscape statement.  Clearly, there is a lot of acrimony in Washington and a lot of partisanship and angst.  So I think both sides will be looking for something they can show bipartisanship on, and college athletics is about as American and warm apple pie as it gets.  There could be a very strong move by congress to step in if the power conferences get too crazy.  The issues of the NCAA and BCS as well as the hypocrisy of amateurism in face of a multi-billion dollar industry are getting too hard to ignore.  I think if the haves and have nots in football get too far out of wack or the basketball only schools(Georgetown) are significantly impacted or the NCAA tourney is in jeopardy Congress will act.

I do wonder what the general public thinks of all this.  Obviously, this is a revenue thing so there are lots of people out there that are just fine with everything.  However outside of maybe the 64 "most powerful" schools there has to be a lot of hate.  What impact does that have on all this long term?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 10:33:57 AM »
I also wonder if anything can ultimately be done because TV contracts are driving all this, so there is a conflict of interest for organizations like ESPN who's stated purpose is to report and opine on sports however they want to land these lucrative opportunities so how much are they going to be willing to look the other way?  There has already been a lot of chatter in the blogosphee about ESPN's slanted coverage of Texas to the Pac-12 info.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 10:51:23 AM »

You mean the one where he says the Big Ten is going to "panic??"

Yeah....OK...

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »

Agreed.  Add ND to that list and you have a very solid 8 team basketball only conference....if you want 10 teams....add Butler and Xavier....if you wanted the religious focus then substitute Dayton for Butler and off we go.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
For the first time, I'm sensing Marquette basketball is in danger. If football drives revenue and the football schools go their own way, we lose any chance we ever will have of again recapturing a national championship. We're competitive with anyone in basketball, but if football is THE driver  in intercollegiate athletics, then we're in trouble.

There's never been a time when football wasn't the driver of intercollegiate athletics.

UConn and West Virginia are all but gone to the ACC. Which is interesting because among all ACC schools, only Florida State, Clemson and UWV have any kind of a football heritage. ACC football is a joke and is a poor country cousin to the SEC.

Some might suggest Miami and Virginia Tech, and even Georgia Tech , have a pretty good football heritage.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 11:36:15 AM »

Any mention of DJ Newbill and dogs that wet themselves?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Must have been an interesting but short teleconference with Nova putting in an application to join the ACC. We're all on our own. At least they are being pro-active and not sitting on their hands

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 11:39:16 AM »
Agreed.  Add ND to that list and you have a very solid 8 team basketball only conference....if you want 10 teams....add Butler and Xavier....if you wanted the religious focus then substitute Dayton for Butler and off we go.

I think this is what is most likely to happen when everything is over with. MU, Nova, G Town, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Butler, Xavier, DePaul.  This conference would look to get 3-4 NCAA teams a year.

I would have to imagine that Butler and Xavier would love to join a conference like that.  Butler especially.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »
I think this is what is most likely to happen when everything is over with. MU, Nova, G Town, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Butler, Xavier, DePaul.  This conference would look to get 3-4 NCAA teams a year.

I would have to imagine that Butler and Xavier would love to join a conference like that.  Butler especially.

Seven of those teams made the tourney last year.
Granted their conference SOS would dip some in this new setup, but not much. no reason the top 5-6 teams of that conference couldn't have a realistic shot at a tourney bid every year, especially with tough OOC schedules.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 11:46:42 AM »
Not Nova.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/knights/os-ucf-fiu-sidebar-0918-20110917,0,2585716.story

Unless the ACC is looking to grow by more than 16, Nova isn't going there. Why would the ACC take a non FBS program when FBS programs like UConn, USF and Rutgers (or even Notre Dame) are there for the taking?

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Maybe I'm naive but why aren't we drawing up a shortlist of teams to join the Big East instead of dwelling on who's leaving?

Xavier
Butler
Temple
George Washington
Memphis
Kentucky (perhaps?)
Houston
Richmond
Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:54 AM »
Maybe I'm naive but why aren't we drawing up a shortlist of teams to join the Big East instead of dwelling on who's leaving?

Xavier
Butler
Temple
George Washington
Memphis
Kentucky (perhaps?)
Houston
Richmond

Kentucky? Why would they leave the SEC?
Nova probably doesn't want to be in a conference with Temple, so eliminate one or the other. I prefer to have Nova.
You probably can forget about Hoston and Memphis as well.

Anyhow, the nonfootball members of the Big East held a conference call today, so this is probably exactly what they're doing.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »

Xavier
Butler
Temple
George Washington
Memphis
Kentucky (perhaps?)
Houston
Richmond

Because we are fans and it doesn't matter what lists we come up with.  I would hope the commissioner is doing something to this effect.  I would hope MU is looking out for their best interests, which may or may not include doing this.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Kentucky (perhaps?)

Ok, I'll bite.

Why would Kentucky leave the SEC?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
Ok, I'll bite.

Why would Kentucky leave the SEC?

Because the SEC is going to invite Louisville. 

That really didn't need teal, did it?

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 11:55:59 AM »
Anybody know if the A-10 has some sort of TV contract.  What kind of revenue does that pull in?   Not saying its a pretty option, I'm just more curious as to what it would look like as a baseline.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:26 AM »
Anybody know if the A-10 has some sort of TV contract.  What kind of revenue does that pull in?   Not saying its a pretty option, I'm just more curious as to what it would look like as a baseline.

How many A10 games do you recall watching on TV?  That may give you the answer to both questions.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 11:58:52 AM »
B-ball only conference seems like the obvious/safest route.

However, I'm still intrigued by being the cherry on top of a Big Ten sundae.

I know it's unlikely, but as all of these large power grabs occur, a hoops only school located in the midwest that produces some tournament income has to be somewhat attractive.

If the Big10 moves to 14 or 16 football teams, maybe they would add 2 b-ball only schools (MU and DePaul) on top.

From a Big 10 perspective:
- Travel costs are minimal.
- You get the Chicago market (not a huge college town, but could get more interesting with DePaul, UofI and Northwestern in the same conference) .
- Plus, Chicago has a ton of Big10 alumni in the area, so DePaul attendance would go up immediately during conference play.
-You get MU, which produces some tournament revenue and plays in a large arena (compared to most Big10 arenas).

Obviously the Big10 has their own agenda and criteria that I know nothing about... but like I said, as a cherry on top, I can see MU + DePaul being attractive.

It's almost free $ for the Big 10. The 2 hoops schools won't get any of the football $, and will add to the hoops $.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
It's not going to happen no matter how much you are intrigued by it.  I linked this in another thread, but if this accounting is true, this is exactly the reason why they don't want bball schools in their conference - just more voices to listen to who aren't on the same page.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=515398

"Until this past year, Pitt was 100 percent committed to the future of the Big East and I would argue that no president has fought harder for the league than has Nordenberg. However I would say that the school's belief in the league and its future began wane last spring over the whole Villanova debacle.

Adding VU for football just was - and remains - among the very the dumbest ideas in the history of major college athletics and I think it shocked, alarmed and disappointed Pitt that so many other schools fought so hard to implement it and that so many other football schools were willing to leak it to the press (cough, Louisville, cough South Florida) in an effort to pressure Pitt into capitulating. Incidentally I believe that West Virginia and Rutgers hold the exact same view on the matter but you will have to ask them.

Pitt wanted to add Central Florida but was willing to settle for East Carolina and maybe even Houston. However as the process dragged along it became clear that some of the football schools and just about all of the basketball schools - minus ND, which always manages to stay above the fray in these matters - were not going to allow any package of teams in the league that did not include Villanova. Pitt (and West Virginia and Rutgers) just couldn't understand that mentality and that caused a deep rift. Honestly until this morning I had always been led to believe that SU was on the other side of this issue but obviously that was a misperception on my part."

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
I asked the question earlier, what would be more beneficial to MU?  A basketball only conference or being the only (or one of two) basketball only members?  I can see scenarios where something like this plays out.  Is it the most realistic?  Doubtful, but I would expect MU is investigating such.

HomeCourtAdvantage

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:48 PM »
A lot of those suggestions, really just thinking of good matchups that would be rivalries....

Xavier - UC
Memphis - LVille
GTown - GW
Nova - Temple
Kentucky - LVille

Kentucky, I'll admit - it's a huge longshot, but if we're looking at a potential Basketball-centric league, it's worth a call.  UK Probably won't leave that SEC Football TV Contract money easily, but their football team is 2nd fiddle to basketball and probably always will.  It's those schools we should be focusing on - Kansas, K-State, Kentucky, Temple, Memphis... and schools without programs like Xavier and Butler

Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 12:07:07 PM »
A lot of those suggestions, really just thinking of good matchups that would be rivalries....

Xavier - UC
Memphis - LVille
GTown - GW
Nova - Temple
Kentucky - LVille

Kentucky, I'll admit - it's a huge longshot, but if we're looking at a potential Basketball-centric league, it's worth a call.  UK Probably won't leave that SEC Football TV Contract money easily, but their football team is 2nd fiddle to basketball and probably always will.  It's those schools we should be focusing on - Kansas, K-State, Kentucky, Temple, Memphis... and schools without programs like Xavier and Butler

No way any team leaves the SEC to join that conference. It would be criminally idiotic.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
It's not going to happen no matter how much you are intrigued by it.  I linked this in another thread, but if this accounting is true, this is exactly the reason why they don't want bball schools in their conference - just more voices to listen to who aren't on the same page.

You're right, in the current Big East format, the FB schools don't like/want the hoops schools. Too many basketball schools involved.

However, in a newly formed Big10, they could add a couple of hoops schools who have no real power (which is the issue), but still add to the $$.

It's a low risk option for the Big10 if they go to 14/16. They could add MU and DePaul. If after a certain amount of time they don't like them, the FB schools could send them packing and the Big10 is still left with the core members they want.

You're correct that it's highly unlikely... but if the AD's and presidents are after $$, they could get a little more without much risk by adding 2 hoops only schools.

Even if MU received such an invite, it's a risky proposition because you know the FB schools could turn on you at any point.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
You're right, in the current Big East format, the FB schools don't like/want the hoops schools. Too many basketball schools involved.

However, in a newly formed Big10, they could add a couple of hoops schools who have no real power (which is the issue), but still add to the $$.

It's a low risk option for the Big10 if they go to 14/16. They could add MU and DePaul. If after a certain amount of time they don't like them, the FB schools could send them packing and the Big10 is still left with the core members they want.

You're correct that it's highly unlikely... but if the AD's and presidents are after $$, they could get a little more without much risk by adding 2 hoops only schools.

Even if MU received such an invite, it's a risky proposition because you know the FB schools could turn on you at any point.
No way UW would sign off on an MU invite, even assuming the B10 would add bball-only schools, which it won't. But in the pipedream scenario, MU would have to jump at the chance to affiliate with arguably the country's most important conference, even in a diminished capacity.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »
Kentucky would be leaving a $20M per year conference to join a $4M per year conference?

Cmon....not going to happen.  There is a reason that the SEC and Big Ten doesn't have exit fees.

MUHoopsfan6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2011, 12:40:10 PM »
From what I have read there is a 24 month notification policy in the Big East.  That means we have 24 months to come up with a plan to add D1 football.  Would a Marquette Univ. with a new football program and a good basketball program have value to a major conference?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
Any way you wanna spin this will still result in MU bending over and grabbin' it's collective ankles.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
You have to be kidding? You think MU is going to start a football program from scratch and in 2 years be looked at by a BCS league?

short answer is...no.

From what I have read there is a 24 month notification policy in the Big East.  That means we have 24 months to come up with a plan to add D1 football.  Would a Marquette Univ. with a new football program and a good basketball program have value to a major conference?

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »

It would be a crappy football team which takes a share of their money.  Adding football isn't going to help.

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
I bet Conference USA would welcome us back.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Pilarz probably wishes he was still at Scranton.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
Must have been an interesting but short teleconference with Nova putting in an application to join the ACC. We're all on our own. At least they are being pro-active and not sitting on their hands

That source was from the ACC perspective, not Villanova.  Not saying they are lying, but the ACC has a vested interest in sow discord in the Big East.  Villanova doesn't make sense for the ACC because they want football and Pitt is apparently pissed that the BE insisted on Nova as a football expansion, why would the ACC s$%t on the plate they just set for themselves?

Much more likely, the ACC is floating that "rumor" and that 7 BE teams applied to rattle UConn and Rutgers into jumping into their arms.

We need to handcuff ourselves to Gtown, Nova, and maybe St John's and go where they go.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
The main reason for the ACC to take Nova and G-Town is to kill the Big East once and for all.  Then the ACC can dominate the East Coast media markets and add MSG to the rotation for their conference tourney.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
The main reason for the ACC to take Nova and G-Town is to kill the Big East once and for all.  Then the ACC can dominate the East Coast media markets and add MSG to the rotation for their conference tourney.

+1 DC has to be the fastest growing media market in the country. It's certainly the fastest growing area in terms of wealth.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:49 PM »
All the expansion will be done in 30 days, it takes a minium of 5 years to get a football program going. The biggest problem in football for MU is that there is no stadium to play in.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »
All the expansion will be done in 30 days, it takes a minium of 5 years to get a football program going. The biggest problem in football for MU is that there is no stadium to play in.

No, cost is the biggest problem.  The lack of a facility is a part of that cost make up, but not all of it.  A minimum of 160 fully funded scholarships, equipment, coaches, advertising ...  All adds up to a big ticket that MU cannot afford.  Add to that we have trouble getting 15,000+ to basketball games, how would we expect to support a football prgram?

Montana Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2011, 04:52:18 PM »
What about this for a basketball only superconference:

Marquette
Georgetown
Villanova
DePaul
Notre Dame
St. John’s
Seton Hall
Providence
Xavier
Dayton
Butler
Detroit
St. Louis
Creighton
Memphis
UMass

These hit lots of major markets for television contracts and these teams play in large arenas.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »
UMASS upgraded program to D-1. Playing home games at Gillette Stadium next year

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
What about this for a basketball only superconference:

Marquette
Georgetown
Villanova
DePaul
Notre Dame
St. John’s
Seton Hall
Providence
Xavier
Dayton
Butler
Detroit
St. Louis
Creighton
Memphis
UMass

These hit lots of major markets for television contracts and these teams play in large arenas.
Memphis and any other school with a football team will not join a basketball only conference.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
Memphis and any other school with a football team will not join a basketball only conference.
Marquette
Georgetown
DePaul
St. John’s
Seton Hall
Providence
Xavier
Dayton
Butler
Detroit
St. Louis
Creighton

Who has D-1 football? Memphis, Umass, Nova, ND, anyone else in that group? We would need atleast one more big time program to be considered an elite bball conference and create own niche.

schuess56

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »
Basketball only conference for MU would mean permanent mid-major status.  MU and Dayton in the same breath.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
No, cost is the biggest problem.  The lack of a facility is a part of that cost make up, but not all of it.  A minimum of 160 fully funded scholarships, equipment, coaches, advertising ...  All adds up to a big ticket that MU cannot afford.  Add to that we have trouble getting 15,000+ to basketball games, how would we expect to support a football prgram?

15,000 was MU's average attendance this year.

Just sayin'. :D
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 09:39:45 PM »

Agreed on all except the last sentence. There are LOTS of schools we outdraw in basketball that suppport their football teams well.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2011, 10:12:35 PM »
However, I'm still intrigued by being the cherry on top of a Big Ten sundae.

I don't completely rule it out, though obviously the longest of long shots.  When ESPN floated the idea of Marquette and Nova to the Big Ten months ago, the point was they really don't have to listen to us, they probably don't even have to give us any money is my guess - it would be worth it for us to have the stable TV exposure.

I would like the idea.  If they end up going to 16 for football including getting the New York market through Rutgers or whatever, it would accomplish what we wanted I believe.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
I don't completely rule it out, though obviously the longest of long shots.  When ESPN floated the idea of Marquette and Nova to the Big Ten months ago, the point was they really don't have to listen to us, they probably don't even have to give us any money is my guess - it would be worth it for us to have the stable TV exposure.

I would like the idea.  If they end up going to 16 for football including getting the New York market through Rutgers or whatever, it would accomplish what we wanted I believe.

I think it's extremely unlikely.

But, it's a low risk maneuver for the Big10 if they want to make a little more $ every year, which is really what this is all about, isn't it?

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »
Have some of you been drinking today? Kentucky leaves the SEC? Marquette pulls a BCS caliber football team out of it's butt overnight? A basketball only conference is the only way to go on this in my opinion. There would be enough good programs in the conference that it would be considered one of the top three basketball conferences in the country and would get a very nice television contract.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:04 PM »

It's sad that this is the case.

The only thing San Jose State Football is driving is the upward expenses for the athletic department!
SS Marquette

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:09 PM »
If we end up in a new conference that includes Georgetown, Villanova, St. John's and Notre Dame, we'll be fine. That's big-time basketball, definitely not mid-major. ND will remain independent in football--they're not going to give up their NBC TV money, which they would have to do if they join a conference with revenue-sharing. The Big East was a basketball-only league for much of its history. And it's still mostly known for its basketball, not football.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2011, 12:10:25 AM »
Some delusional people on here.

No way the Big 10 invites MU, UW would never let it happen even if other schools favored it. There is no way Kensucky leaves the SEC.

The ACC is not going to take WVU....the academic profile is not a fit....it would be by far the lowest USNWR ranked school in the conference. They will also not take Nova, Louisville or Georgetown. Louisville for academics and the other two because of no (credible) football.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »
Academics has nothing to do with any of this.  WVU doesn't add an attractive TV market - if it did it would already be in the SEC.

Start with some basic facts:
No football AQ conference wants to add Marquette.
No team in a currently viable football AQ conference wants to join the Big East.

I think when the ACC says they are not "philosophically opposed" to moving to 16 teams, they are saying they would consider Texas and Notre Dame, the only major football programs that could be in play.  Although I don't think either one wants to join the ACC.  If that fails they may consider others, including Mizzou.

The value of UConn and Rutgers to the ACC is a bit overstated.  Neither one is a football power and neither one "delivers" the NYC market as much as people say.  Basically no one outside of Jersey gives a crap about Rutgers.

Best scenarios for MU:
1.  Big East stays as it is, at least for now.
2.  UConn and Rutgers leave, but Texas, OU, OSU and Texas Tech leave the Big 12 and MU is in a new conference that includes the remaining teams from the BE and Big 12 (led by Kansas, KSU, Mizzou and followed by ISU and Baylor).
3.  MU stays with Georgetown, Nova and St. John's and adds a few more teams for a basketball only conference.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:35 AM »
^

From Orangebloods.com tonight:

A second source confirmed to Orangebloods.com that the Atlantic Coast Conference remains interested in Texas - but without Texas Tech. The source said the ACC would consider a Texas-Kansas or Texas-Missouri combination. But the ACC has real concerns about Texas Tech's academic standing. (Tech was ranked No. 160 in the latest U.S. News and World report rankings of America's top colleges and universities.)

Academics DO play a big role in any decision the ACC makes. Both Kansas and Mizzou are AAU schools as well.

Jacks DC

• Team Captain
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2011, 01:06:22 AM »
^

From Orangebloods.com tonight:

Academics DO play a big role in any decision the ACC makes. Both Kansas and Mizzou are AAU schools as well.

Well, I was referring more to the WVU claim.  But I have a feeling if Texas Tech was located in, say, Dallas, and / or ranked in the Top 10 in football, that academic issue wouldn't matter so much.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »
15,000 was MU's average attendance this year.

Just sayin'. :D

The appropo point is that MU does not have the alumni base to draw for football.  Yes, we averaged 15,000 - but can we be a draw and support football?  I say no.  MU has a long tradition in basketball.  Coming off a nice run for a decade of good basketball and 15,000 appears to be our bellwether. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:38 AM »
The appropo point is that MU does not have the alumni base to draw for football.  Yes, we averaged 15,000 - but can we be a draw and support football?  I say no. 

While you're probably right, the season ticket base is the LAST problem that needs to be addressed in the "Marquette football" puzzle.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2011, 07:39:18 AM »
While you're probably right, the season ticket base is the LAST problem that needs to be addressed in the "Marquette football" puzzle.

No doubt.  As I stated earlier, it's money, money, money - that includes 160 or so annual scholarships, adding other womens sports, facilities (practice and playing), equipment, coaches (for all the sports), administration, travel, marketing, ...  and we would need to supplement a losing program for a number of years.

Villacats

• Walk-On
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2011, 08:02:27 AM »
It's not going to happen no matter how much you are intrigued by it.  I linked this in another thread, but if this accounting is true, this is exactly the reason why they don't want bball schools in their conference - just more voices to listen to who aren't on the same page.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=515398

"Until this past year, Pitt was 100 percent committed to the future of the Big East and I would argue that no president has fought harder for the league than has Nordenberg. However I would say that the school's belief in the league and its future began wane last spring over the whole Villanova debacle.

Adding VU for football just was - and remains - among the very the dumbest ideas in the history of major college athletics and I think it shocked, alarmed and disappointed Pitt that so many other schools fought so hard to implement it and that so many other football schools were willing to leak it to the press (cough, Louisville, cough South Florida) in an effort to pressure Pitt into capitulating. Incidentally I believe that West Virginia and Rutgers hold the exact same view on the matter but you will have to ask them.

Pitt wanted to add Central Florida but was willing to settle for East Carolina and maybe even Houston. However as the process dragged along it became clear that some of the football schools and just about all of the basketball schools - minus ND, which always manages to stay above the fray in these matters - were not going to allow any package of teams in the league that did not include Villanova. Pitt (and West Virginia and Rutgers) just couldn't understand that mentality and that caused a deep rift. Honestly until this morning I had always been led to believe that SU was on the other side of this issue but obviously that was a misperception on my part."

Colossal pile of BS from an avowed Nova hater.

Although I guess if I was a Pitt fan, I'd be looking to shft blame too.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:17:24 AM by Villacats »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »
OK....but his sentiment regarding Nova football is shared by many.

feedback