'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:48:19 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BYU Suspends F Davies  (Read 11631 times)

Benny B

• All American
BYU Suspends F Davies
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
SALT LAKE CITY (AP)—BYU’s dreams of a deep run in the NCAA tournament may have taken a major blow Tuesday when the third-ranked Cougars dismissed starting forward Brandon Davies from the team for the remainder of the season.

The school cited a violation of the school’s honor code in announcing the move Tuesday evening.

Davies, who grew up in Provo, had started 26 of 29 games for the Cougars and averaged 11.1 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-t25-byu-daviessuspended

Good for BYU.  Glad to see there's at least one honorable school left out there.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: BYU Suspends F Davies
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:10:41 PM »
Agree.  That shows some nads to that and suspend the player.  I'd wager that 95% (if not more) of programs would not do that.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »
Most programs are also not run by the Mormon church.  If schools like MU, ND, Georgetown and others really had to hold themselves to Jesuit standards, I bet we'd see more suspensions like this.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
Do we have any idea what he did?

For all we know, he did something like walk on the grass on campus. 

kansaswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 10:33:46 PM »
I'd wager it was something drinking related given the Mormon stance on alcohol

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:30 PM »
Purely speculation, but the early returns point to the "other" vice that plagues college students.  Think about the thing college students do that isn't mind-altering... that is unless you're really, really good at it.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »
Taking bets now that BYU will be seeded in the same bracket with Duke.....

Yesterday they announced that a 23 year Duke employee was now on the selection committee and now this....

Cards are lining up just like last year to make Duke the odds on favorite for the natty.....can they really hand it to them two years in a row?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
Good for BYU.  Glad to see there's at least one honorable school left out there.

I guess.  IMO their "honor code" is a little over the top to begin with, but I am not Mormon and would never think of attending a school like that.  (Not because I am anti-Mormon by any means, but because I don't think I could, or would want to, comply with that Code.)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:22:35 AM »
"Honorable?" Do you know what he did?  What if it was staying out past curfew or going to a local tavern?  Would it still be "honorable" to suspend the kid and sabotage the season for something that trivial?  I don't know what he did either, but to automatically jump to the conclusion that the suspension was "honorable" makes little to no sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 08:24:11 AM »
I think by "honorable" they mean that they are willing to potentially sacrifice a promising season by actually enforcing their Honor Code instead of turning the other way.  Agree or disagree with the Code, they at least aren't being hypocrites about it.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 08:28:46 AM »
pure speculation: cheating

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »
Have to feel badly for the other kids on the team. It's not their fault, but has a huge impact on them after all the time and effort they've put into having a quality team.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:37:40 AM »
I guess.  IMO their "honor code" is a little over the top to begin with, but I am not Mormon and would never think of attending a school like that.  (Not because I am anti-Mormon by any means, but because I don't think I could, or would want to, comply with that Code.)

It is quite extensive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Young_University_Honor_Code
Or for those with LOTS of free time:
https://honorcode.byu.edu/

#1 on the FAQ: "What is the process for obtaining a beard exception?"

It could have been anything that may seem like a normal part of life for a lot of us.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:07 AM »
If Tyshawn Taylor went BYU, I imagine he would have been hung.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:10 AM »
Purely speculation, but the early returns point to the "other" vice that plagues college students.  Think about the thing college students do that isn't mind-altering... that is unless you're really, really good at it.

:-\  hmm...

??? ... !!!

Boys Kissing Boys?!?!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 09:50:41 AM »
"Honorable?" Do you know what he did?  What if it was staying out past curfew or going to a local tavern?  Would it still be "honorable" to suspend the kid and sabotage the season for something that trivial?  I don't know what he did either, but to automatically jump to the conclusion that the suspension was "honorable" makes little to no sense.

You and I may not like all of the provisions in their honor code, but since we didn't sign up for it that's not important.

What makes this "honorable" is sticking to your standards (known and agreed to by all the players) even when it's painful. Many schools have one set of rules for the starters and another for the guys on the end of the bench.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »
"Sideburns should not extend below the earlobe or onto the cheek."

I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I think by "honorable" they mean that they are willing to potentially sacrifice a promising season by actually enforcing their Honor Code instead of turning the other way.  Agree or disagree with the Code, they at least aren't being hypocrites about it.

I guess that's fair.  Your point above about not wanting to live under those rules yourself is well taken, and maybe that's a bit of what I was basing it off of.  It still doesn't make me like BYU any more because of it.  Either way, it could work out in our favor, as we could get them in a potential 2nd round matchup as an 8/9 v 1 or 7 v 2 - anything to help our chances!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 11:21:53 AM »
Nah...I like to drink alcohol and coffee...and occasionally I swear.  OK, maybe more than occasionally.  Oh and I don't attend church regularly.

I'd be one terrible Mormon.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
Me too.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
The thing with this honor code, whether you think it's over the top or not, is that it isn't new. Davies and the rest of the players knew what they were getting into when they accepted the scholarship to BYU. It's not like on the first day of practice the coach was like, "oh by the way....."

Having said that, I would have been on a bus out of Provo the first weekend.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
Nah...I like to drink alcohol and coffee...and occasionally I swear.  OK, maybe more than occasionally.  Oh and I don't attend church regularly.

I'd be one terrible Mormon.

I think I've violated that code maybe 6-7 times a day my entire life.  Yeesh.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »

A report from at least one Lady Jayhawk indicates he already is.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 02:39:51 PM »
A report from at least one Lady Jayhawk indicates he already is.

HI-O!  Post of the day.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
Do we have any idea what he did?

For all we know, he did something like walk on the grass on campus.  

I'm figurin' he porked a chick in the fieldhouse.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
Sex or a final four...

Hell that is one hard choice.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »
Well then BYU just gave its own basketball program the death penalty.

On another note, how would school officials even find out about that? And they expect us to believe the Jimmer's just been swatting groupies away like flies? Give me a break.

RyanConroy

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 11:30:49 PM »
The kid had sex with his girlfriend...this is a borderline gross violation of human rights...but he did pick BYU, so he has to live with his decision.

If MU enacted similar policies, I'm quite sure everybody on this board wouldn't be here today.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
Well then BYU just gave its own basketball program the death penalty.

On another note, how would school officials even find out about that? And they expect us to believe the Jimmer's just been swatting groupies away like flies? Give me a break.

I think BYU believes in a higher calling on this stuff.  This is pretty ballsy of them.  Whether we agree or not on the morality of it all, they have chosen to walk the walk on this.

Do you have evidence to the contrary on Jimmer?  I work with several BYU graduates and they take this stuff very seriously.  It's not for everyone, but every player knows what they are signing up for.  I'm sure there are plenty of stories of athletes getting away with stuff there, but BYU is sticking to it's guns.  I'll bet most BYU alum and most mormons are backing the school...just a guess.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
what about lewinskys??  billy bob clinton said that ain't sex ;D

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »
I think BYU believes in a higher calling on this stuff.  This is pretty ballsy of them.  Whether we agree or not on the morality of it all, they have chosen to walk the walk on this.

I'll bet most BYU alum and most mormons are backing the school...just a guess.

I agree. I would think that most Alums and Mormons are going to follow the school on the decision. If BYU were to let him play just because of their chance (albeit likely their only chance) at postseason glory, it completely undercuts the Code of Honor that all Alums and current students stand for and are proud of.

Is it the best thing for the University at the current moment? No. In the long run? Definitely. These kids knew what they were getting into when they signed up, athlete or not.

some schools have wacky rules, but you know them and accept them when you choose to attend that school.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:00:08 AM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 10:18:27 AM »
I think BYU believes in a higher calling on this stuff.  This is pretty ballsy of them.  Whether we agree or not on the morality of it all, they have chosen to walk the walk on this.

Do you have evidence to the contrary on Jimmer?  I work with several BYU graduates and they take this stuff very seriously.  It's not for everyone, but every player knows what they are signing up for.  I'm sure there are plenty of stories of athletes getting away with stuff there, but BYU is sticking to it's guns.  I'll bet most BYU alum and most mormons are backing the school...just a guess.

Reading Steve Delsohn's "Da Bears", it mentions McMahon back in the 80s at BYU.  He says he would leave BYU's campus every weekend and just come back for class and football.  So I don't know if everyone, athlete-wise is buying into it, they may just get out of dodge whenever possible.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
Every school/basketball team has standards and rules, a code of conduct if you will. They range from the draconian (BYU) to the "whatever" (anything goes but felonies, and even those are okay if you're a starter).

The idea that having premarital sex should disqualify someone from playing college basketball is absurd to me and probably every other poster on this board, but that's unimportant. What's important is that it's not absurd to the Church that runs the school - and that the guys who play at BYU signed off on the rules voluntarily. They knew the consequences if they were caught breaking them. So I for one applaud BYU standing firm on their principles. It's easy to preach them in abstract, quite another to affirm them when results prove painful.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
Every school/basketball team has standards and rules, a code of conduct if you will. They range from the draconian (BYU) to the "whatever" (anything goes but felonies, and even those are okay if you're a starter).

The idea that having premarital sex should disqualify someone from playing college basketball is absurd to me and probably every other poster on this board, but that's unimportant. What's important is that it's not absurd to the Church that runs the school - and that the guys who play at BYU signed off on the rules voluntarily. They knew the consequences if they were caught breaking them. So I for one applaud BYU standing firm on their principles. It's easy to preach them in abstract, quite another to affirm them when results prove painful.

New Mexico 82
BYU 64

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 12:07:45 PM »
New Mexico 82
BYU 64

Can I get an amen?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »

leever

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 02:18:52 PM »
The kid had sex with his girlfriend...this is a borderline gross violation of human rights...but he did pick BYU, so he has to live with his decision.

If MU enacted similar policies, I'm quite sure everybody on this board wouldn't be here today.

I would like to categorically deny that I have had sex with anyone who post son this board!

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
CNN said he was busted for sleeping with his G/F before marriage. Keep in mind this is a campus were coffee, tea & soda with caffeine is banned as a stimulant,

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
So when is BYU going to announce the canceling of their basketball and football seasons? 

I'm guessing very few athletes are "qualifying". 

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 02:15:11 AM »
Davies has 2 years of eligibility remaining after this season.  He seems like a stud (pun intended).  :)

If this doesn't get sorted out, a transfer is definitely in the cards.  Plenty of schools, ours included, need a big man like that. 

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
OK...this is his girlfriend.

http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/high-school/volleyball/article_6b90cc82-9d51-5c70-88ff-55f64e3c1f3f.html

I would break an honor code or two for her...

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Reading Steve Delsohn's "Da Bears", it mentions McMahon back in the 80s at BYU.  He says he would leave BYU's campus every weekend and just come back for class and football.  So I don't know if everyone, athlete-wise is buying into it, they may just get out of dodge whenever possible.

Not only McMahon.

With news that BYU suspended Brandon Davies for violating its honor code, we called an authority on the topic, former Bear Glen Kozlowski. BYU suspended him in the spring of 1982.

"I had violated just about everything that was forbidden," Kozlowski told us. Teammate Jim McMahon also was suspended.

Kozlowski said he considered transferring but started dating a fellow BYU student and decided to serve his punishment and reapplied to the school a year later. "We got married the next year. … We have four sons and have been married for 29 years."

As for the Davies suspension: "He knew the rules," Kozlowski said. "Whether you agree with them or not you have to abide by them because you sign a pledge when you enroll."