collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.  (Read 5971 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.
« on: October 17, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/nfl-roger-goodell-redskins-eagles-vernon-davis-excessive-celebration-rules-call-video

This one seems ridiculous.

I was watching my Giants yesterday and Beckham scored the winning touchdown; as he exited the end zone he took his helmet off and was called for unsportsman like conduct. I guess that is in the eye of the official I don't know, but it seems to me the players can't show any emotion on the field at all after a great play. No wonder interest in the game is on the decline.

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Your thoughts on NFL rules after scoring a touchdown.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:01 AM »
I thought removing helmet in the field of play is always a penalty.

Or is that just college?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:43 AM »
No
Fun
League

Let them celebrate.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
I thought removing helmet in the field of play is always a penalty.

Or is that just college?

Not sure exactly what the rule says, but Beckham was totally beyond the outside of the end zone when he took his helmet off, so he was no more "in the field of play" than a guy standing on the sideline.

I can maybe see it within the field, where you might be face to face with opposing players.  But he was past the end zone and facing only Giants fans. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 12:21:35 PM »
It's all just a historical remnant of the stoic and somber "act like you've been there" narrative. 

No.  It's sports.  Sports are fun.  Have fun.  Shoot an arrow.  Twerk a little.  Do a group dance.  Just don't direct it at your opponent.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 12:37:18 PM »
It's all just a historical remnant of the stoic and somber "act like you've been there" narrative. 

No.  It's sports.  Sports are fun.  Have fun.  Shoot an arrow.  Twerk a little.  Do a group dance.  Just don't direct it at your opponent.

Players need to show a little more respect. Just drop to a knee after you score and thank God for loving your team and hating the bad guys.

And then they should have to bow to the flag on their way back to the sidelines.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 01:10:53 PM »

I completely agree with the addition....as long as it doesn't slow down the game.  if the refs keep the clock running and some dback want's to celebrate for 15 seconds, let him.

On the helmet thing - my (admittedly cynical) memory is that it was motivated by not wanting to increase a players personal brand i.e. face recognition for endorsements, at the expense of the league brand i.e. just seeing the team logo on the helmet.  again, could've been in a cynical hallucination.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 01:15:01 PM »
I completely agree with the addition....as long as it doesn't slow down the game.  if the refs keep the clock running and some dback want's to celebrate for 15 seconds, let him.

Then you have head coaches calling long celebration dances to kill the clock.

brandx

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 01:29:34 PM »
Then you have head coaches calling long celebration dances to kill the clock.

No comprende.

If it is after a score, why would the clock be running anyway.

If it is after a single play, the clock is either gonna run or not based on the previous play. Still only a specific amount of time to run the next play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
Players need to show a little more respect. Just drop to a knee after you score and thank God for loving your team and hating the bad guys.

And then they should have to bow to the flag on their way back to the sidelines.

They are working on planting a chip in the athletes' brains. Then, if they even think that they are having a little fun, the penalty flag will fly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »
They are working on planting a chip in the athletes' brains. Then, if they even think that they are having a little fun, the penalty flag will fly.

Going to be tough as this is Gronk's head 24/7:

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
Really proud and impressed that nobody popped up with "we need more players like Barry Sanders just handing the ball off!"  Its sports, sports are fun, let them have fun.

Also, anyone who has seen a picture of Sanders in his post NFL life has realized that his handing the football to the ref wasn't some classy gesture, he's really just a dull and emotionless football robot.  An NFL dream!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »

I was taught and adhered to the "act like you've been there before" protocol - it didn't (for me) make sports the least bit stoic or somber. The only reason (we were taught) to flip the bat, jog slowly around the bases, stand at home plate and "admire" your long ball, group dance in the end zone, etc. was precisely TO show up your opponent. You expected (and usually received) retribution for what was considered bad sportsmanship.

But I realize sports are different today - on the professional level it's a millionaires club and fraternization (even DURING games) and individual celebrations (sometimes for very minimal accomplishment) are the norm. And the pros set the standard for the amateur athletes. Good or bad? Celebratory or mocking? Eye of the beholder. Bothered me when it first started to become common practice. Doesn't anymore.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
I was taught and adhered to the "act like you've been there before" protocol - it didn't (for me) make sports the least bit stoic or somber. The only reason (we were taught) to flip the bat, jog slowly around the bases, stand at home plate and "admire" your long ball, group dance in the end zone, etc. was precisely TO show up your opponent. You expected (and usually received) retribution for what was considered bad sportsmanship.

But I realize sports are different today - on the professional level it's a millionaires club and fraternization (even DURING games) and individual celebrations (sometimes for very minimal accomplishment) are the norm. And the pros set the standard for the amateur athletes. Good or bad? Celebratory or mocking? Eye of the beholder. Bothered me when it first started to become common practice. Doesn't anymore.

+1 and I'm not an "old timer."  There are obviously situations where emotions are going to take over, players will get fired up, etc.  But when someone gets all pumped up about a play you see on a nightly basis?  Pretty lame.

I've always been one who's thought that getting all emotional over something fairly routine just tells your opponent "You're better than me and I know it so when I 'win' a battle I get pretty jazzed up about it."  I've always liked the athletes who were just steady.  The Kawhi Leonards of the world.  Just a personal preference.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 04:13:51 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
I was much more firey in practice than in games. Volleyball id constantly be talking to my teammates during drills or through the net, especially if I blocked someone. (I was a 5'9" setter, I had no business blocking anyone) In softball if I had a bad at bat in practice, I would throw my bat, never did during a game though. The one exception was I would get pissed when i wasnt bowling well during a match, cause only you can really pick yourself up.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 05:00:58 PM »
I miss Joe Horn.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 05:36:17 PM »
These kids today with their showy and excessive celebrations.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
+1 and I'm not an "old timer."  There are obviously situations where emotions are going to take over, players will get fired up, etc.  But when someone gets all pumped up about a play you see on a nightly basis?  Pretty lame.

I've always been one who's thought that getting all emotional over something fairly routine just tells your opponent "You're better than me and I know it so when I 'win' a battle I get pretty jazzed up about it."  I've always liked the athletes who were just steady.  The Kawhi Leonards of the world.  Just a personal preference.

Kawhi is boring.  Good.   But boring.

Give me Whiteshoes any day of the week.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 08:10:47 PM »
Goodell is a putz.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »

Kawhi is boring.  Good.   But boring.

Give me Whiteshoes any day of the week.

I love watching Kawhi. Takes right after Pop, and I love Pop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »

You forgot to include Mark Gastineau, Harold Carmichael and, hell, every Packer who does the Lambeau Leap.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »

I'm 68. Your examples are all from long after my coaches taught me sportsmanship/respect for one's opponent - so what's your point?

Regardless, I'll absolutely stipulate that celebrating TDs in the NFL by a select few players dates back to the 70s. As stated previously, it doesn't bother me. Celebrating a 4 yard catch for a first down or a tackle for a 2 yard loss while trailing by 17 points in the 3rd quarter? Smacks of WWE and not real sports to me.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:12:37 PM by Lennys Tap »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:54 PM »

Some people watch hockey for the hockey, some watch for the fights. I think professional sports are exciting for what transpires before the whistle blows. That's boring to some. They watch for what happens after the play is dead. To each his own.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »

Pop is anything but boring.

feedback