[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:37:37 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JakeBarnes
[Today at 04:41:29 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hopefully we are not getting ahead of ourselves here  (Read 9342 times)

RyanConroy

Re: Hopefully we are not getting ahead of ourselves here
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »
It is not uncommon for a press release or announcement to be distributed to journalists but embargoed for hours, or days, prior to an announcement being made.  Most professional journalists will adhere to such embargo if they were on the distribution list, even if they get it from another "source."  But if the release passes through the hands of someone who's not a journalist, you'll get a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors flying around - with no comments from journalists who usually feast on (or deny) such rumors - until the moment the clock hits that embargo date/time.

Given the circumstances, I view the fact that Goodman, Parrish, etc. haven't chimed in as something getting ready to go down.

Gotta admit, this is a pretty compelling explanation. Especially as a lot of these low-level media outlets keep citing the length of the contract (six years).

But was/is Marquette really in a position to have a press release already written and sent to the press?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
What's perplexing is how VCU sources are barely acknowledging the rumors. There are quite a few dependable sources on our end saying that a contract is or is almost in place. I find it hard to believe the VCU sources who are not even giving an inch. That sounds like denial to me.

Makes sense, I suppose, in that being more tight-lipped down there gives Shaka a chance for a graceful exit. I don't know, maybe I'm a homer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:38:02 PM by windyplayer »

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
Shaka is eyeballing these threads to make sure he gets a warm welcome from the MUScoop community before he signs on the dotted line!

The Love House

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »
I won't believe anything until Mike Hunt writes about it in the Journal/Sentinal. I expect him to get around to that some time later next week.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:26 PM »
Gotta admit, this is a pretty compelling explanation. Especially as a lot of these low-level media outlets keep citing the length of the contract (six years).

But was/is Marquette really in a position to have a press release already written and sent to the press?

Only someone from the AD department or a journalist can tell you if this is a regular practice over there.  I cannot.

But Tom Enlund was the king of ethical standards when it came to embargoed news releases.... sometimes sitting on them for months after the release date.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2014, 03:38:36 PM »
It is not uncommon for a press release or announcement to be distributed to journalists but embargoed for hours, or days, prior to an announcement being made.  Most professional journalists will adhere to such embargo if they were on the distribution list, even if they get it from another "source."  But if the release passes through the hands of someone who's not a journalist, you'll get a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors flying around - with no comments from journalists who usually feast on (or deny) such rumors - until the moment the clock hits that embargo date/time.

Given the circumstances, I view the fact that Goodman, Parrish, etc. haven't chimed in as something getting ready to go down.

Zero universities would give a press release to a single reporter, let alone multiple reporters, involving major news and expect those reporters to say nothing for days.

Zero.

Maybe (but not usually) an hour. Maybe (but highly unlikely) several hours.

But never, ever, ever would Wherever U put out a press release saying, "Hold this huge news for three days, please."

At least not if the university expects the news to get held.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Wisco

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2014, 03:42:48 PM »
What's perplexing is how VCU sources are barely acknowledging the rumors. There are quite a few dependable sources on our end saying that a contract is or is almost in place. I find it hard to believe the VCU sources who are not even giving an inch. That sounds like denial to me.

Makes sense, I suppose, in that being more tight-lipped down there gives Shaka a chance for a graceful exit. I don't know, maybe I'm a homer.
We're all homers in one way or another. To my knowledge, though, I'm the only true neutral party on here, a fan of both teams. Why not believe me ;D

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
I've got a bad feeling about this  >:(

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »
Zero universities would give a press release to a single reporter, let alone multiple reporters, involving major news and expect those reporters to say nothing for days.

Zero.

But never, ever, ever would Wherever U put out a press release saying, "Hold this huge news for three days, please."

Three days for major news.... probably not.  If it's that major, there's no legitimate reason for it to be held for three days.

But there is legitimate reason for news like this to be withheld for hours.  And journalists do - surprisingly - keep their mouths shut... lest they wish to be excluded from future news releases.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »

Gas?
Relax. Respect the Process.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »
Three days for major news.... probably not.  If it's that major, there's no legitimate reason for it to be held for three days.

But there is legitimate reason for news like this to be withheld for hours.  And journalists do - surprisingly - keep their mouths shut... lest they wish to be excluded from future news releases.

Like, let me inform my team that I'm leaving before they hear it on ESPN.

RyanConroy

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm hoping you're right, and I'm hoping you'll be proven right in 12 minutes.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »

Me too man

TJ

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
What happens in 12 minutes?  (10 now)  Is something scheduled or were you just hoping?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 03:52:05 PM »
What happens in 12 minutes?  (10 now)  Is something scheduled or were you just hoping?

Top of the hour. A possible embargo expiration time if that's the case. Or just a release in general.

RyanConroy

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
5:00 EDT/4:00 CDT. So yeah, mainly just hoping.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 04:00:53 PM »

Let me be clear that I'm not implying that there is a pending announcement out there.... I'm simply offering one possibility as to why the only thing close to a denial or counter to the rumor was simply Evan Daniels saying it "doesn't pass the smell test."

Typically, rumor from quasi-national basketball media source (e.g. 247sports, deadspin, etc.) is followed by guys like Goodman, Parrish, Katz, etc. saying something more than "sides have spoken, but there is no deal yet."  That hasn't been the case here... and that's what puzzles me.

If it was just IWB breaking something, I could see the national guys looking the other way... but Jerry Meyer is a respectable figure in the world of college hoops, and is prominent enough to get the Katz's and Goodman's to react to news like this.

Then again, Katz, Goodman, et al may be completely in the dark and don't want to say anything for fear of looking like a chump.

In other words.... stayed tuned.  But don't give up hope.  The bottom line is that the sides have spoken; that's the first step.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »

Zero.

Well this just isn't true at all. I mean, it depends on the announcement. Something like this that they want to keep under wraps, yeah they wouldn't preemptively warn their reporters.

But say, Marquette has a big announcement coming about a new academic building plan or whatnot, they could definitely talk to reporters beforehand, give them the needed info, and even set up interviews so that when the news does hit it will be bigger and won't catch reporters off-guard covering something else. Also, orgs use it all the time to secure exclusive articles with major publications to guarantee coverage.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

RyanConroy

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:14 PM »
Let me be clear that I'm not implying that there is a pending announcement out there.... I'm simply offering one possibility as to why the only thing close to a denial or counter to the rumor was simply Evan Daniels saying it "doesn't pass the smell test."

Typically, rumor from quasi-national basketball media source (e.g. 247sports, deadspin, etc.) is followed by guys like Goodman, Parrish, Katz, etc. saying something more than "sides have spoken, but there is no deal yet."  That hasn't been the case here... and that's what puzzles me.

If it was just IWB breaking something, I could see the national guys looking the other way... but Jerry Meyer is a respectable figure in the world of college hoops, and is prominent enough to get the Katz's and Goodman's to react to news like this.

Then again, Katz, Goodman, et al may be completely in the dark and don't want to say anything for fear of looking like a chump.

In other words.... stayed tuned.  But don't give up hope.  The bottom line is that the sides have spoken; that's the first step.
Understood. Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2014, 04:13:25 PM »

Zero.

Well, it depends.

On a major coaching hire .... I'd be shocked if it were released early with an embargo. No reporter worth his tiny salary would respect that kind of an embargo.

On another issue - say, a major donation, a new building, a new program .... happens all the time. They'd want to give the media a day or two to plan to be at the announcement, because they know that in the heat of the day, nobody is going to drop everything to rush over to Marquette for the announcement of a donation or new library.