[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Exploitation of a Markus  (Read 6263 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Exploitation of a Markus
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:12:04 AM »
It should be a crime.

I have this bad habit of focusing on Markus when he's on defense more than when he's  on offense.

In the Villanove game he more than held his own most of the game.

In the Providence game his lack of height was repeatedly exploited.

I didn't get to see the Creighton game so I can't comment on what happened there.

Cooley definitely had a plan to take advantage of Markus and now everyone else has video of it to study. Maybe he studied video of the Creighton game. I don't know.

What I do know, is that it happened too often and led to way too many easy baskets for Providence. It seemed like Wojo made some adjustment so Markus wasn't getting caught down low in a mismatch as much later in the game, but he was still out of position for defensive rebounds which he is generally very good at securing. This led to several offensive put backs by Providence.

Any feedback on Markus' defense in the Creighton game would be appreciated, as well as thoughts on how he and  the team match up defensively in upcoming games.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:05:08 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Exploitation of a Markus
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 01:19:00 AM »
It should be a crime.

I have this bad habit of focusing on Markus when he's on defense more than when he's  on offense.

In the Villanove game he more than held his own most of the game.

In the Providence game his lack of height was repeatedly exploited.

I didn't get to see the Creighton game so I can't comment on what happened there.

Cooley definitely had a plan to take advantage of Markus and now everyone else has video of it to study. Maybe he studied  video of the Creighton game. I don't know.

What I do know, is that it happened too often and lead to way too many easy baskets for Providence. It seemed like Wojo made some adjustment so Markus wasn't getting caught down low in a mismatch as much, later in the game but he was still out of position for defensive rebounds which he is generally very good at securing. This led to several offensive put backs by Providence.

Any feedback on Markus' defense in the Creighton game would be appreciated, as well as thoughts on how he and  the team match up defensively in upcoming games.

You don't really need a video to know that you can take advantage of Howard's 5'10 height, down low.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 01:52:29 AM »
You don't really need a video to know that you can take advantage of Howard's 5'10 height, down low.
No.... but I've never seen a team exploit Markus the way Providence did today.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 02:09:55 AM »
Make Markus work hard on both ends of the court to deplete his energy reserves.  It's surprising and impressive at how Howard wasn't gassed at the end of that game.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 04:59:28 AM »
Creighton drew our bigs out to the perimeter and continually posted up Markus.  This is to wear him out and foul him out. Providence also tried to knock him out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
Providence also minimized the minutes for 5'11" Luwane Pipkins. Pipkins played his season low in minutes (12) despite overtime. In the first half, Duke and Diallo mostly drew the defensive assignment of Markus, but in the second they started with Pipkins on him and Howard absolutely torched him. Cooley pulled Pipkins out until he had to put him back in later because of players fouling out. Everyone else on that roster is 6'3" or bigger, which made for a tougher matchup on both ends.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »
Creighton drew our bigs out to the perimeter and continually posted up Markus.  This is to wear him out and foul him out. Providence also tried to knock him out.
Providence has a history of trying to get our smaller guards on one of their bigger players in the low post.  They used to take advantage of Rowsey the same way.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 01:43:00 PM »
So if this is the standard game plan to exploit Markus, what should Wojo do to counter it. I know it's not a revolutionary concept to get a smaller player isolated on a big but Providence seemed to take it to a whole different level. If Creighton did the same and had the same level of success I worry that this could become the norm.
Does the rest of the conference have the depth, size, and quality of players to replicate what Providence and Creighton did?

I would really appreciate other people's take on how we match up going forward in conference.

If more than 50% of the teams have the size and talent to exploit Markus like CU and PC did, Wojo may have to reconsider having Markus on the floor at times. If he can come up with a way to limit Markus' 'exposure on defense  even better.

If  Wojo does adjust by sitting Markus more, other guys will be forced to step up( Sacar, Koby, Bailey, Elliot, Cain) offensively. It may improve their confidence and their game. It also reduces the wear and tear on Markus.
Of course there's the whole ego thing and getting Markus to accept it. Could he handle being the teams microwave against certain match ups?

In a lot of games Markus' offensive ability far outweighs his defensive liability. In some games not so much. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Side note: This relates to another topic I posted. " Is Markus must see basketball ? "
Same question. Is Wojo showcasing Markus every game for the national recognition, recruiting, and of course for getting Markus into the NBA,(which also helps recruiting), and sacrificing some team concepts that could potentially contribute to losses??
Or does he truly believe Markus' offensive ability ALWAYS outweighs his defensive liability??

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 01:48:12 PM »
Woj won't have a klue, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 01:54:18 PM »
does anybody still think markus can make an nba roster?

its really a shame that another couple inches of height with the same skill set likely would have gotten him as a lottery pick in the draft vs now most likely going to europe after marquette!
such a bummer

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 02:11:24 PM »
To me, Markus held his own on D last night. About a dozen other things contributed to the loss more than this. Among others  missed layups, pick and rolls where the roller is not an offfensive threat, not stepping on their throats when we got the lead,  not fouling before the 3

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 02:11:32 PM »

?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »

its really a shame that another couple inches of height with the same skill set likely would have gotten him as a lottery pick in the draft vs now most likely going to europe after marquette!
such a bummer

If Markus was 6'3 he would have been in the NBA at 19

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 02:25:26 PM »
Btw, my buddy and I were talking the other day, commenting on how well we thought Markus has improved on defense.  But, opposing teams are still going to go at him to wear him down.

PC was beating him up with no calls on the body fouls. They also hurt him last year, and  that injury was with him for the rest of the season.

Two things need to change as the Big East officials are so inconsistent:

One, like Wright, McDermott, and Cooley, Wojo needs to ride these officials full time, including during time outs. It is a fine art (and I know Wojo works the officials) but someone like Jay Wright never lets up.

Two, the coaches and the players need to have others step up to make opposing teams pay. Right now, MU is deferring and it's playing right into opponents' hands. Case in point was Bailey in his timid 1st half (4 points) versus his aggressive second (15 points). That remains the question mark for this team, says Captain Obvious.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
To me, Markus held his own on D last night. About a dozen other things contributed to the loss more than this. Among others  missed layups, pick and rolls where the roller is not an offfensive threat, not stepping on their throats when we got the lead,  not fouling before the 3
We must have been watching different games.

I would agree he held his own, but only in respect to his offensive abilities offsetting his defensive liabilities.

I am certainly not suggesting that the loss was all on Markus, but PCs exploitation of him on defense was a considerable factor.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 02:36:50 PM »
Markus wasn't the only one exploited by Providence.  It was pretty much whatever 5 were on the floor for MU.
McDermott definitely gave Cooley his strategy book for MU.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 02:45:50 PM »

such a bummer

I think Markus makes an NBA roster.  Bucks should take him in 2nd round. 

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »

such a bummer
As a microwave type scorer on teams with a couple superstars who demand double teams.  Sure, it's a possibility.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 02:53:18 PM »
Given the right team as a role player, I think you might be right.  Bucks and Golden State come to mind.  Will be interesting to see how his career plays out.  Happy we have him right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 03:17:27 PM »
A few interesting notes about the top-5 Big East scorers, which Markus will likely join on Saturday. All of them (Markus included) missed the NCAA tournament at least once. Three of the top-5 (Troy Bell, Luke Harangody, Dana Barros) never saw the second weekend of the Tournament and none ever made a Final Four.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 03:19:37 PM »
The continued unappreciation of Markus Howard amazes me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »
Markus wasn't the only one exploited by Providence.  It was pretty much whatever 5 were on the floor for MU.
McDermott definitely gave Cooley his strategy book for MU.
When Markus wasn't on the floor I noticed that PC s offense looked a lot different.
I thought Marquettes defense looked more settled in those situations.
That's not to say the defense was impenetrable but markedly better. Rebounding as well.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 04:29:17 PM »
Btw, my buddy and I were talking the other day, commenting on how well we thought Markus has improved on defense.  But, opposing teams are still going to go at him to wear him down.

PC was beating him up with no calls on the body fouls. They also hurt him last year, and  that injury was with him for the rest of the season.

Two things need to change as the Big East officials are so inconsistent:

One, like Wright, McDermott, and Cooley, Wojo needs to ride these officials full time, including during time outs. It is a fine art (and I know Wojo works the officials) but someone like Jay Wright never lets up.

Two, the coaches and the players need to have others step up to make opposing teams pay. Right now, MU is deferring and it's playing right into opponents' hands. Case in point was Bailey in his timid 1st half (4 points) versus his aggressive second (15 points). That remains the question mark for this team, says Captain Obvious.
Yeah, I commented in towers Villanova postgame  thread applauding Markus' defense. Then PC happened. I didn't get a chance to see the Creighton game which is why I started this thread.

I'd really appreciate it if someone who has seen our upcoming opponents would give their take on how they think Marquette, and Markus in particular,  match up.

Everything else you mentioned I totally agree with, especially other guys stepping up earlier in games. As far as working the officials..... If Markus hasn't earned the respect of the BEast officials by now, I doubt Wojos bitching is going to influence them. I guess he could force them to give him a technical, but our margin for victory is pretty thin and I can already hear some people blaming him for it if the team lost a close game.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 04:31:00 PM »

G league material

5'10 shooting guards that can only score are a very niche mold in the NBA.  His defense isn't good enough to justify him being on the floor vs. guys who are 6'3+
Marcus is just too small and not athletic enough for the NBA.  If he averaged around 10 assists a game, it'd be a different story.  He's undersized for his position in the NBA.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
G league material

5'10 shooting guards that can only score are a very niche mold in the NBA.  His defense isn't good enough to justify him being on the floor vs. guys who are 6'3+
Marcus is just too small and not athletic enough for the NBA.  If he averaged around 10 assists a game, it'd be a different story.  He's undersized for his position in the NBA.
If he gets on a team with more legitimate scoring threats, opposing teams won't be able to focus on him like they do now. He probably won't be dishing many assists because he will be more in the mold of a Steve Kerr on the Bulls. Hang out at the three point line and make opposing teams pay for doubling the superstars.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:30:41 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »