'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Do You Expect Our Record To Be On January 27?  (Read 15964 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: What Do You Expect Our Record To Be On January 27?
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
Maybe fringe top 10.    Lots of good teams in front of Marquette.   Many would probably have to lose twice in the next two weeks while MU goes 4-0.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 12:50:57 PM »
I strongly disagree that Morrow will not be missed. Theo has made some big plays and overall has played well. That said, he definitely has limitations and having Matt as his backup is not the answer. Ed is needed more than some on here want to believe.

Yep, Ed brings something more than his stats.  Toughness.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
Nothing more manly than telling another man to man up and that they're a beta.  Hysterically sad.

Happy to help you young Wades.  Hopefully you can retire from the emoji usage - really not a good look for a grown man. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »
Happy to help you young Wades.  Hopefully you can retire from the emoji usage - really not a good look for a grown man.

Says the guy throwing around "cute AF."  You are all that is man, Ners.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2019, 01:13:18 PM »
Ed is significantly better than Matt. If that weren't the case, Matt would be playing more than the couple of non-garbage-time minutes he's been getting each game (except those he doesn't play at all). It's not close.

Without Ed, we quite possibly (maybe even probably) lose to F%cky.

Wojo has done a good job developing our bigs, and he has done an outstanding job of meting out playing time to them. He has a very good feel when to sub at that position. In the Creighton game, for example, he put Theo back in ... just in time for Theo to get that beautiful pass from Sacar for the and-1.

Not having Ed tomorrow (if that's the case) will definitely hurt the team. Theo has become the better player, but he needs rest, he gets fouls just by the nature of his job (in other words, even if he's not committing blocking fouls 90 feet from our basket), and GT's best player is its center. Having Ed available can only be a good thing.

If Wojo does have to turn to Heldt, I am heartened by the stats that 9-9-9 shared.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2019, 01:53:52 PM »
I predict we win out to 21-3 and the next game we lose will be at DePaul.  That’s what I predicted preseason as well.

This scenario will be interesting from a rankings perspective because it will make us one of the first major conference teams with 20 wins.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2019, 01:54:54 PM »
I predict we win out to 21-3 and the next game we lose will be at DePaul.  That’s what I predicted preseason as well.

This scenario will be interesting from a rankings perspective because it will make us one of the first major conference teams with 20 wins.

That is very optimistic and if we win our next 7 I won't even care if we lose to DePaul. Not one bit. Although it would suck a bit since I'll be in attendance.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
Having read just some of the thread.
We go 4-0 and possibly better. As others say, GT could be a loss if we fart it way like we can (excuse my french).

MY bigger concern is the 4 games toward the end:
@PV
@VN
vCR
@SH

we could conceivably lose those 4. @PV is always a threat to play above themselves...good coach. @VN good of course at home. CR just seems tough and could play well here.  @SH another tough one away.
I would say 2-2 in that stretch would be ok.

last comment...losing Ed for a time would hurt. Less fouls to give at the 5...and he is tougher and more creative down there than Matt.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 02:18:08 PM »
It would be better not to lose Ed, but if Theo can stay on the court for 25 minutes Im confident Matt can give 10 solid minutes a night (5 minutes with Joey at the 5) we'll be ok- he's got experience and a high BB IQ. Sure he's flat footed, but he also has better height/talent around him than he did last year.

If Theo is picking up 2 or 3 fouls early and we have to go long stretches of Matt we could have some rougher games.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »
As of right now, I think we would be favored in every game other than @Villanova and @Seton Hall. It's a weird feeling.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 02:25:56 PM »
As of right now, I think we would be favored in every game other than @Villanova and @Seton Hall. It's a weird feeling.

26-5 would have us primed for a BET run to a 1 or 2 seed. That would be an amazing turnaround from a team that missed the dance last year. If that happened I WOULD be worried about Wojo to Duke.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »
26-5 would have us primed for a BET run to a 1 or 2 seed. That would be an amazing turnaround from a team that missed the dance last year. If that happened I WOULD be worried about Wojo to Duke.

To be clear, that would involve us winning a lot of games where we would only be favored by a point or two (while also losing a game that we would probably only be 1 or 2 point dogs). That would make us the luckiest team in the country.
TAMU

1SE

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »
To be clear, that would involve us winning a lot of games where we would only be favored by a point or two (while also losing a game that we would probably only be 1 or 2 point dogs). That would make us the luckiest team in the country.

I in no way expect it to happen - 26-5 does have a nice ring to it though.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 02:36:19 PM »
I predicted a 14-4 season before conference play started and im sticking to that. I did pick @ St. Johns, @ Seton Hall and @ Villanova as 3 of the 4 losses. I believe that the 4th loss will either be @ Butler or @ Depaul. I fully expect MU to run the table at home and yes that does include beating NOVA

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
TAMU and 1SE

Could they 26-5?, sure, it is a possibility. I think before anyone gets too far ahead of themselves, this team has to put together 40 minutes of very good ball. To date, I do not believe that this team has played what I would call a very good game. No doubt, a couple of good games, but not one that I came away saying, "this team can beat just about anyone out there".

I would love to see a game that is more balanced scoring, less turnovers, more turnovers forced a general control of the game. I readily admit that this team has won games I did not expect to them win, but a small (ok more than small part) part of me thinks there is a bit of smoke and mirrors. I really have my fingers crossed that the next four games shows me more than they are just scrappy.

Lastly, for all that love to jump on anything negative MU or Wojo, my thoughts are not meant to be negative. The team has done well and I have enjoyed the games I have attended this year. Actually have attended more games this year than previous 4 years of Wojo era combined and watched more minutes than I have in a long, long time.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 02:45:39 PM »
TAMU and 1SE

Could they 26-5?, sure, it is a possibility. I think before anyone gets too far ahead of themselves, this team has to put together 40 minutes of very good ball. To date, I do not believe that this team has played what I would call a very good game. No doubt, a couple of good games, but not one that I came away saying, "this team can beat just about anyone out there".

I would love to see a game that is more balanced scoring, less turnovers, more turnovers forced a general control of the game. I readily admit that this team has won games I did not expect to them win, but a small (ok more than small part) part of me thinks there is a bit of smoke and mirrors. I really have my fingers crossed that the next four games shows me more than they are just scrappy.

Lastly, for all that love to jump on anything negative MU or Wojo, my thoughts are not meant to be negative. The team has done well and I have enjoyed the games I have attended this year. Actually have attended more games this year than previous 4 years of Wojo era combined and watched more minutes than I have in a long, long time.

Sure - 26-5 is WAY putting the cart ahead of the horse - but is seems like a ceiling which is at least in the realm of possibility.

Buffalo was a solid 40 no? That was really a corner-turner for me with Wojo. Sure we'll still lose a head scratcher or two, and he still has flaws as a coach and the teams has flaws as well, but we are well on pace for a 4-5 seed. It's nice for MUBB to be relevant again. Let's hope we stay there.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
1SE

Buffalo was their best game, IMO. But, I did not walk out of Fiserv saying to me wife "that really was a watershed performance/win". It was not nice game, but really was the Howard half. Very nice win, but not a signature moment to me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
To be clear, I don't expect anywhere near 26-5. I'm expecting closer to 21-10. Merely commenting on what the betting lines would be as of this date.

I think this team is capable of beating anybody on any given night. But there are a dozen or so teams that they would need to catch on an off night in order to win.
TAMU

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 03:04:04 PM »
To be clear, I don't expect anywhere near 26-5. I'm expecting closer to 21-10. Merely commenting on what the betting lines would be as of this date.

I think this team is capable of beating anybody on any given night. But there are a dozen or so teams that they would need to catch on an off night in order to win.

Not singling you out just the record 21-10 but into perspective. That would mean going 7-7 the rest of conference play. I would label that imo a disaster of a season and MUscoop would become a dumpster fire.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 03:07:26 PM »
Not singling you out just the record 21-10 but into perspective. That would mean going 7-7 the rest of conference play. I would label that imo a disaster of a season and MUscoop would become a dumpster fire.

You are correct and that was me being bad at math. In my head I said "I think they finish 12-6 in conference" and somehow my brain spit out 21-10 overall. Mondays.

I'm thinking more 23-8, 9-5 rest of the way.
TAMU

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2019, 03:09:35 PM »
You are correct and that was me being bad at math. In my head I said "I think they finish 12-6 in conference" and somehow my brain spit out 21-10 overall. Mondays.

I'm thinking more 23-8, 9-5 rest of the way.

I could see that happening going 12-6. I think everyone is still riding high from that Creighton win and rightfully. Hopefully we can ride Howard similarly to how Davidson rode Stephen Curry.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »

If we win the next seven to go 21-3, I'll bet we are ranked between 5 and 8.

If we then lose to DePaul, this will be their first top 10 victory in decades.

It will be DePaul's highlight of the decade and lead to them signing Jalen Johnson.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2019, 06:01:50 PM »
Just in ...

15 AP
13 Coaches

If we go 4-0 will we be top 10 in two weeks?

(by asking this here, did I just jinx the team?)

12 AP / 11 Coaches

That's my expectation. Most of the teams just ahead of us have pretty clear roads.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2019, 06:10:46 PM »

Now this is strange: 21-3 and losin at DePaul. Maybe it would sound better to be 20-4 and winning at DePaul.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2019, 06:27:55 PM »
I have us losing no home games, and losing away to X, Nova, St. John’s and DePaul.    There’s always one WTF loss, even for a good team.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

feedback