Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What Do You Expect Our Record To Be On January 27?  (Read 15968 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: What Do You Expect Our Record To Be On January 27?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
Matt Heldt is on the roster.  The kid started a lot of games last year.  He's a Senior.  He's not quite Morrow, but he's serviceable.  Morrow's stats are pretty underwhelming and Heldt isn't much of a drop off.

Look, I understand people are trying to find narratives that might explain why we might lose to Patrick Ewing coached # 95 Georgetown in Year 2 of his tenure, but let's have some freaking expectations of our team in Year 5.

Losing Ed Morrow is NOT losing Theo John. 

Theo has improved a lot, and we can expect him to also improve in his propensity to foul.  I'm counting on Wojo coaching Theo up!

No one is trying to find a narrative because one is not needed. To date we haven't lost any games we shouldn't. 99% of teams lose at least one (most more than one) game a season that they shouldn't. If at Georgetown ends up being that game for us this season, it sucks but is fine as long as we don't start piling up losses like that.

No one is saying that losing at Georgetown wouldn't be a bad loss. They are just saying that bad losses happen to 99% of teams. So as long as its an isolated incident, our season is still on track.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:35 AM »
Matt Heldt is on the roster.  The kid started a lot of games last year.  He's a Senior.  He's not quite Morrow, but he's serviceable.

Agree, and I posted as much the other day.

But if he has to check Govan for extended minutes, MU will have trouble. Matt can't guard out to the perimeter. Honestly, Theo has a hard time with it too. Ed's the most versatile of those three defensively.

They should beat the Hoyas, but you never know with life on the road in college ball. Need every advantage you can get.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
I think they win the next four games. They might not all have style points, but they should win all four.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:58 AM »
Markus will go nuclear on Tuesday.  Georgetown plays a zone at times, but Akinjo is no match for Markus.  Akinjo is quick, but a turnover/foul kid at this point.  They may put Blair on Markus, but with Akinjo not on floor, no point guard and McClung is still injured/hurting.

Keep Theo and Heldt on the floor against Govan and should not be a problem. 

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:18 AM »
Agree, and I posted as much the other day.

But if he has to check Govan for extended minutes, MU will have trouble. Matt can't guard out to the perimeter. Honestly, Theo has a hard time with it too. Ed's the most versatile of those three defensively.

They should beat the Hoyas, but you never know with life on the road in college ball. Need every advantage you can get.

Sure, this is all true.  Yet, with Morrow NOT available, it could also result in Theo getting MORE minutes, which would be beneficial to the team, because Theo is our best big man without question.

Missing Morrow's 13 minutes should NOT result in us losing to #95 GTown.  Now if we were missing ANY of our starting five?  Yes, I'd have legitimate concern and would tend to think a loss would be probable in that scenario.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2019, 09:41:15 AM »
I don't think Morrow's production, or lack there of has resulted in Theo only getting 18 minutes per.  I think Theo's fouls per 40 min being at almost 8 is the biggest reason in his lack of (more) minutes.  Gtown has IMO the best big man in the conference, if Morrow can't go (have we heard anything official yet?) Matt may have his season high in minutes Tuesday.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
Sure, this is all true.  Yet, with Morrow NOT available, it could also result in Theo getting MORE minutes, which would be beneficial to the team, because Theo is our best big man without question.

Missing Morrow's 13 minutes should NOT result in us losing to #95 GTown.  Now if we were missing ANY of our starting five?  Yes, I'd have legitimate concern and would tend to think a loss would be probable in that scenario.

Absolutely. If Theo does not commit fouls and can play 30 effective minutes, that IS The best case scenario. But if he picks up 2 fouls early and Heldt has to play 20+ minutes then we are FAR WORSE off having Heldt in there than Morrow, along with having 5 fewer fouls to give.

Missing Morrow shouldn't cause a loss, but it does significantly reduce our margin for error.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »
I strongly disagree that Morrow will not be missed. Theo has made some big plays and overall has played well. That said, he definitely has limitations and having Matt as his backup is not the answer. Ed is needed more than some on here want to believe.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2019, 10:26:19 AM »
I strongly disagree that Morrow will not be missed. Theo has made some big plays and overall has played well. That said, he definitely has limitations and having Matt as his backup is not the answer. Ed is needed more than some on here want to believe.

Yep. Theo is the better player IMO but we have 2 guys who can offer rim protection. Ed and Theo. We now have one good big until Ed is healthy. He will be missed.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2019, 10:28:51 AM »
We definitely can go 4-0 but I’m expecting 3-1

I think we drop one of the road games. Would be pretty disappointed losing one of the 2 home games. If we lose Gtown it does put a bit of pressure on winning the next 3.

Instead of a “trap game” we kinda have a “trap stretch” right here. 4 extremely winnable games(not guaranteed) and I feel one of the games will be a cold night for us and/or hot night for the opponent and a loss.

4-0 would be massive tho
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:47 AM »
John and Morrow have nearly identical stats.  Theo is much better in shot blocking, Ed is slightly better on FT and defensive rebound rate.

They make a good tag team.  Having to play Heldt or Joey at the 5 is less than ideal. Serviceable, perhaps, but not ideal. Hopefully Theo can avoid foul trouble.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »
Pomeroy says we have a 62% chance of winning the game......those numbers would be with Morrow.....Game is little more then a coin flip....we will be a 2 or 3 point favorite most likely.

Georgetown won at Butler....they are certainly more then capable of beating us at home.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »

Morrow is better than an empty chair. Bold statement I know. Suggesting that Ed's injury makes the team better is illogical at best. Theo doesn't lose minutes because Ed is there. Theo loses minutes because he doesn't have the conditioning to play at an optimal level for 40 minutes and because he picks up fouls like they are going out of style.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2019, 11:15:41 AM »
I don't think Morrow's production, or lack there of has resulted in Theo only getting 18 minutes per.  I think Theo's fouls per 40 min being at almost 8 is the biggest reason in his lack of (more) minutes.  Gtown has IMO the best big man in the conference, if Morrow can't go (have we heard anything official yet?) Matt may have his season high in minutes Tuesday.

I think this is pretty basic common sense, but the MJ of Northwoods basketball has spoken, so we are all incorrect.  If the guy says losing one of 8 players in our regular rotation at the position where the starter is most foul prone is a good thing, then we have no clue, we should go back to practicing the tuba, and we should bow at the feet of the Almighty Ners.

Seriously, the guy plays it off like he's some superior basketball knowledge and then makes claims like this.  The cluelessness is hilarious.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
Morrow's theoretical absence will certainly have an effect.   I am skeptical of Theo's ability to play 30 mpg without fouling out.    Therefore, if Morrow is unavailable, those minutes go to Heldt.   Unless MU goes 'small' and some minutes at the 5 go to Joey or Sam.   But that gives more minutes to Bailey and Cain.        So, those 22 mpg that usually go to  Morrow go to.......?     And the answer is for Theo to show a heretofore undiscovered ability to stay out of foul trouble?     If you think that is the solution, you don't fully understand the problem. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:11:34 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Here is something worth noting. Last year against Georgetown Matt Heldt gave the team the following production:

Game 1 MU Won 74-65 Matt played 29 minutes 7 rebounds 1 assist 2 blocked shots and 2 points
Game 2 MU Won 90-86 Matt played 29 minutes  10 rebounds 2 assist 1 blocked shots and 2 points

I am more than comfortable that Matt can provide some quality minutes against Georgetown this year when called upon.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2019, 12:12:33 PM »
Yep. Theo is the better player IMO but we have 2 guys who can offer rim protection. Ed and Theo. We now have one good big until Ed is healthy. He will be missed.

Morrow and Heldt have similar Block % stats: 

Morrow:  5.1%
Heldt:     4.4%
Theo:    12.0% - Which is why more minutes for Theo is a good thing assuming Wojo can get him coached up to be less foul prone - which I'm confident Wojo can do.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
Ed is solid and better than he’s performed this year. Him being out would be a tough hit.

When talking Theo v Ed, see DR%
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »

Theo:    12.0% - Which is why more minutes for Theo is a good thing assuming Wojo can get him coached up to be less foul prone - which I'm confident Wojo can do.

Eventually.   To expect a change in 48 hours is overly optimistic.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »

Interesting. Would have guessed there was a bigger disparity. I don't think Matt is a bad defender necessarily, I just think we have a clear hierarchy of options at the center position. 1. Theo. 2. Ed. 3. Matt. With a gap between each of them.

I'd hope we can still agree that Ed offers more rim protection and alters more shots. His ability to contest inside while going straight up is something Heldt just can't do. The recovery and block against Wisconsin is also a clear example of something Heldt would not have been able to accomplish.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2019, 12:18:36 PM »
Ed is solid and better than he’s performed this year. Him being out would be a tough hit.

When talking Theo v Ed, see DR%

Considering Theo attacks virtually every shot attempt, and absolutely impacts virtually every shot taken at the rim/in the lane - he takes himself out of defensive rebounding position as he goes to affect shot.

Can't get something for nothing.  A ball-hawking, shot swatter, isn't going to have a great D rebounding rate. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »
Considering Theo attacks virtually every shot attempt, and absolutely impacts virtually every shot taken at the rim/in the lane - he takes himself out of defensive rebounding position as he goes to affect shot.

Can't get something for nothing.  A ball-hawking, shot swatter, isn't going to have a great D rebounding rate.

But you want our coach to, in 48 hours, work his foul trouble out of him. Which would require his ball-hawking, shot swatting, his biggest strenth, to be eliminated. And that’s a good thing, according to the only guy who’s ever played basketball on Scoop. You’re a beta if you disagree with this. Beta.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
But you want our coach to, in 48 hours, work his foul trouble out of him. Which would require his ball-hawking, shot swatting, his biggest strenth, to be eliminated. And that’s a good thing, according to the only guy who’s ever played basketball on Scoop. You’re a beta if you disagree with this. Beta.

Once again being a beta Wades.  You are second to the party, and now applying the label I gave you.  Classic reactor.

Also, please go re-post where I've said I was the only guy who's ever played basketball on Scoop? 

I am confident Wojo can coach Theo up for GTown game and that we will get to see Theo on the floor for 25-30.  You should have more confidence in your mancrush as well, and for once retire your uber-low expectations for Wojo.  Man up.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
Once again being a beta Wades.  You are second to the party, and now applying the label I gave you.  Classic reactor.

Also, please go re-post where I've said I was the only guy who's ever played basketball on Scoop? 

I am confident Wojo can coach Theo up for GTown game and that we will get to see Theo on the floor for 25-30.  You should have more confidence in your mancrush as well, and for once retire your uber-low expectations for Wojo.  Man up.

Nothing more manly than telling another man to man up and that they're a beta.  Hysterically sad.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2019, 12:36:11 PM »
Just in ...

15 AP
13 Coaches

If we go 4-0 will we be top 10 in two weeks?

(by asking this here, did I just jinx the team?)
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.