'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One of the Greatest Pictures Ever  (Read 10156 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
One of the Greatest Pictures Ever
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:26:22 PM »
Thanks to Caitlin Bender for taking this shot!

Link to high-res photo
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/marquettetitan34/IMG_3838.jpg

robmufan

• All American
Re: One of the Greatest Pictures Ever
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
that is a very sadistic smile he has

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
I'm shocked that he would brandish a spear. I would think the Native American community would be very upset about that. I'm offended.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:42:42 PM »
Aww come on PRN, lighten up!

First of all, it's not a spear it's a pitchfork. If anyone's gonna get offended by that, it's Satan himself. So I see nothing that would offend the native American community. Unless you're trying to turn this into another post regarding the nickname.

I absolutely love the picture and have since forwarded it to a couple Badger fans I know.

AlienWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:51:33 PM »
I don't see much difference between the 2

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »
Aww come on PRN, lighten up!

First of all, it's not a spear it's a pitchfork. If anyone's gonna get offended by that, it's Satan himself. So I see nothing that would offend the native American community. Unless you're trying to turn this into another post regarding the nickname.

I absolutely love the picture and have since forwarded it to a couple Badger fans I know.

It's a trident. 

Can somebody PUH-LEASE Photoshop that and put a blood-stained Golden Eagle on there? Please! And maybe make a wallpaper out of it?

ToddPacker

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
PRN, you must live a truly miserable life.  That's too bad.  If the nickname issue affects you as much as it apparently does, I cannot imagine how you are capable of handling other, more important issues that undoubtedly arise in your day to day life.  Whah, whah, whah.

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 03:23:46 PM »
I agree, it's a trident, as in Anchorman's "I think I just killed some guy with a trident"
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:55:20 PM »
PRN, you must live a truly miserable life.  That's too bad.  If the nickname issue affects you as much as it apparently does, I cannot imagine how you are capable of handling other, more important issues that undoubtedly arise in your day to day life.  Whah, whah, whah.

I couldn't agree more. 
Couldn't you just have one laugh at a hilarious picture without bringing up what for more and more people is a dead issue?  Do you have any friends that are like you about other topics?  Like ones that bring up the OJ verdict or still make fun of coke for thinking up coke 2 every day?  Don't you realize that the more you do it the more pathetic you seem in many peoples eyes.  And not only that the more people gradually grow numb and then become sick of your arguments to the point where they begin to disagree.  It's like someone who is against partial birth abortions trying to have a conversation with a person who bombs abortion clinics, instead of finding common ground the moderate wants nothing to do with you.
Every time i see a kid in a warriors shirt i use to feel apathetic.  Now I think of you and want to slap that kid.  Congrats on making me hate the old logo, you did it.  Little by little, post to by post and now it's complete. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:36 PM »

It's like someone who is against partial birth abortions trying to have a conversation with a person who bombs abortion clinics, instead of finding common ground the moderate wants nothing to do with you.

Perfect analogy!! We should abort our current nickname before it reaches full term.

I will now return to my "truly miserable life." And that's too bad.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »

It's like someone who is against partial birth abortions trying to have a conversation with a person who bombs abortion clinics, instead of finding common ground the moderate wants nothing to do with you.

Perfect analogy!! We should abort our current nickname before it reaches full term.

And that is a perfect example of how delusional you are.  you are the only one who doesn't think it's reached full term.  What percent of incoming freshman actually were aware of the existance of marquette before the name change?  3% possibly 4%?  (the'd have to be rasied in a mu house hold and even then...)
How many of them come to the school knowing it was ever called something else?  20%?  yeah but we are still in a transitional period.... right...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:28:52 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up!!

How many students identified with Warriors during the 2005 vote? 62 percent. How many did NOT identify with Warriors? 19 percent. The rest were neutral.

How many of those people were less than 10 years old when the name was changed originally. Well over 90 percent.

During that same vote, what were the words most often used to describe the Golden Eagles nickname? Boring, weak and common.

Again, during the same vote, what were the words most often used to describe our mascot? Cartoonish and silly.

As for incoming or current freshman...you're right. Maybe they don't know about all this venom. That's what an education is for.

These kids need to know how embarrassing it is!

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »

How many students identified with Warriors during the 2005 vote? 62 percent. How many did NOT identify with Warriors? 19 percent. The rest were neutral.

How many of those people were less than 10 years old when the name was changed originally. Well over 90 percent.

During that same vote, what were the words most often used to describe the Golden Eagles nickname? Boring, weak and common.

Again, during the same vote, what were the words most often used to describe our mascot? Cartoonish and silly.

As for incoming or current freshman...you're right. Maybe they don't know about all this venom. That's what an education is for.

You haven't had a single post about how well the team is playing... but as soon as something comes up about the mascot you come out of the woodwork.

Seriously dude, what is with you?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »

You haven't had a single post about how well the team is playing...

Really?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

You haven't had a single post about how well the team is playing... but as soon as something comes up about the mascot you come out of the woodwork.

Seriously dude, what is with you?

actually no one posted anything about the mascot that was him as well.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »

yeah right.  I'm sure this survey was done scientifically with a 2% margin of error and not at all conducted with any bias at all.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »

yeah right.  I'm sure this survey was done scientifically with a 2% margin of error and not at all conducted with any bias at all.

Are you serious? You must not have taken the survey. For the record, the results are still available on MU's website. http://www.marquette.edu/opa/newsroom/nickname/results3.shtml

It was commissioned by Marquette and, if anything, the survey questions were really biased against Warriors.

Actually, this should be in the Wiki!

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 05:27:54 PM »
how did this thread devolve into this dead beaten horse discussion?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »
I was an incoming freshman during that survey. I am a warrior, as you can see by my sn. The way that MU went about the name change was back handed and unfair.  There is still a huge contingent of students that are warriors and not eagles. I don't buy anything with the eagle on it or anything that says golden eagles, even the free handout shirts that say golden eagles will stay hanging in my closet while others are worn out.  I know many are sick of the debate, as am I.  PRN, everyone on this board knows your p.o.v. and i would hope they know that some share that point of view, maybe not to the same extent as you but either way, they feel the same way.  But either way, LET'S GO WARRIORS this week against L'ville and UCONN.  And best of luck to the women's team as they do battle at WVU tomorrow.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 06:04:51 PM »

I voted that I identified with the Warrior name but I really don't.  How do I, a student who arrived in 2004 identify with a name 10 years before my time.  I just voted that in hopes it would return.  I sure others did the same as well.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »
how did this thread devolve into this dead beaten horse discussion?

Because we allowed MUSCOOP's #1 dead horse beater PRN take over the thread. It's ridiculous. I was a senior in high school and was already accepted to MU when they changed the name. It was a huge deal then...but not anymore.

PRN, it's over and it's been over for the last 13 years.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
It's not over.   It'll take another decade, maybe two, but the University will have to address the issue over and over until it's resolved in a way that the majority of the MU community is happy with.  Since those who prefer Warrior accounts for 90%+, it's gonna be a loooonnnng time before "it's over".

chainsaw_mcgee

• Walk-On
  • Threadkiller.
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »
It will different be when MU actual something well had over Golden Eagles to say.  I loved how they the mascotte changed more violently to look.  I do not see the crossness.  I understand that they maintained that they no new symbol could accept meanwhile keep up the Fighter nickname.  I thought was that cripple.  Did when we use Joan of Arc as a mascotte under the fighter name, men would identify with the Indian-Hood logo verdergaan with?  Men verdergaan with customs the controversial modi because that was how the nickname leave became.  There was no joint effort through the university distance of the small treasure connotatie of Fighters to take.  I support personal the Jumping Jesuits.  All Jesuits that I meet have liefde basketbal.  I cannot say the same furrow all Indian.  And birds do not give certainly. 
-Did you hear I finally graduated?
-Yeah, and just a shade under a decade too, all right.
-You know, a lot of people go to college for seven years.
-I know, they're called doctors.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
 ??? ???

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 07:56:59 PM »
It will different be when MU actual something well had over Golden Eagles to say.  I loved how they the mascotte changed more violently to look.  I do not see the crossness.  I understand that they maintained that they no new symbol could accept meanwhile keep up the Fighter nickname.  I thought was that cripple.  Did when we use Joan of Arc as a mascotte under the fighter name, men would identify with the Indian-Hood logo verdergaan with?  Men verdergaan with customs the controversial modi because that was how the nickname leave became.  There was no joint effort through the university distance of the small treasure connotatie of Fighters to take.  I support personal the Jumping Jesuits.  All Jesuits that I meet have liefde basketbal.  I cannot say the same furrow all Indian.  And birds do not give certainly. 

Is there anyway to get a translator