Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ron Patterson  (Read 10158 times)

MU_Beav

• Starter
Ron Patterson
« on: September 23, 2012, 06:42:33 PM »
Jason Smith ‏@BrewsterHoops
Marquette head coach Buzz Williams will visit the family of Brewster guard @Buss34 on Tue in Indianapolis for home visit. #BigEast

Yes, please...

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Ron Patterson
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:51:20 PM »
This has to be put into motion because Larry Williams told Buzz it's either back to the days of Tom Crean or taking a step back to be SLU.  Thus we are finally getting back to the days of recruiting guys that Tom Crean would recruit.  If Buzz can switch his recruiting style so that he is consistently recruiting against Tommy for the high character guys that Tommy already recruits, we will not need to worry about Buzz being unhappy at Marquette.  Larry and Pilarz should be extremely proud of the direction this program is headed now that Buzz has figured it out.  Those two should now be honored to do whatever they can to help Buzz in his quest to recruit these types of players.  We will never have any character issues on the team anymore.

In fact, Larry's master plan is to make every decision there is for Buzz.

Maybe that is where the unhappiness Buzz is having is coming from.  The air is being sucked out of Buzz's room.  When he can no longer stand it, he will bolt and Larry will be both AD and head basketball coach.

I've figured it all out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:54:17 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
This is from a recent Brewster practice/open gym....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=mhee&v=GKBv0uPy7CI

Go to the 4:10 mark and watch... I can't imagine a player left ready to make an impact more as a freshman than Mr. Patterson.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:39:48 PM »
This is from a recent Brewster practice/open gym....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=mhee&v=GKBv0uPy7CI

Go to the 4:10 mark and watch... I can't imagine a player left ready to make an impact more as a freshman than Mr. Patterson.

Wow, guy looks very talented. Mixtape is solid, he's a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGRvE-JUb9A&feature=player_embedded

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 09:38:38 PM »
Was Patterson at Brewster while Burton was there?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
Was Patterson at Brewster while Burton was there?

Pretty sure that's a no. Patterson enrolled recently after being declared academically ineligible at Indiana.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
This has to be put into motion because Larry Williams told Buzz it's either back to the days of Tom Crean or taking a step back to be SLU.  Thus we are finally getting back to the days of recruiting guys that Tom Crean would recruit.  If Buzz can switch his recruiting style so that he is consistently recruiting against Tommy for the high character guys that Tommy already recruits, we will not need to worry about Buzz being unhappy at Marquette.  Larry and Pilarz should be extremely proud of the direction this program is headed now that Buzz has figured it out.  Those two should now be honored to do whatever they can to help Buzz in his quest to recruit these types of players.  We will never have any character issues on the team anymore.

In fact, Larry's master plan is to make every decision there is for Buzz.

Maybe that is where the unhappiness Buzz is having is coming from.  The air is being sucked out of Buzz's room.  When he can no longer stand it, he will bolt and Larry will be both AD and head basketball coach.

I've figured it all out.

Fortunately, since Marquette has no academic reputation to protect, it can feast off all those players Crean wants but can't get admitted to Indiana.....
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 09:53:28 PM »
Patterson was an IU commit (set to be a freshman this yr).  After failing summer classes in Bloomington, he was released from his scholarship.  Ron was reclassed for 2013 and will play at Brewster this year.

Living in Indy, I've had a few chances to see him play.  His frame is solid, but what
 always stood out to me (and IU fans) was his lockdown perimeter defense.  Many Hoosier fans were sad to see Crean move on, as they felt Ron would be a good contributor.  I see a little Jerel McNeal in him (not as offensively refined, but stronger), and think him and Burton would give opponents defensive troubles (both are strong like bull).

I see one yr @ Brewster to be a huge positive for Ron's development, not only on the court, but in the classroom.  

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
Patterson was an IU commit (set to be a freshman this yr).  After failing summer classes in Bloomington, he was released from his scholarship.  Ron was reclassed for 2013 and will play at Brewster this year.

Living in Indy, I've had a few chances to see him play.  His frame is solid, but what
 always stood out to me (and IU fans) was his lockdown perimeter defense.  Many Hoosier fans were sad to see Crean move on, as they felt Ron would be a good contributor.  I see a little Jerel McNeal in him (not as offensively refined, but stronger), and think him and Burton would give opponents defensive troubles (both are strong like bull).

I see one yr @ Brewster to be a huge positive for Ron's development, not only on the court, but in the classroom.  

Yea!  No teal, no implied sarcasm, just yea.  I hope he gives MU a close look.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 08:00:48 AM »
Wow, guy looks very talented. Mixtape is solid, he's a man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGRvE-JUb9A&feature=player_embedded

In the immortal words of Charlie Murphy, "this cat could ball man". 

Go get him Buzz.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »

My recollection was not that he "failed" but that he didn't meet a required GPA for conditional admission.  (He had to get a 2.5 and got a 2.0 or something like that.)  

And let's be honest here, IU was oversigned by one player and Crean found a way to let go of the least heralded of this incoming freshmen class.  I can guaranty you that if this were Hollowell or Perea, they would find a way to get him into school.  Beyond shady.

That being said, I think Patterson is pretty much like I have read about Ferguson.  Long for his size.  Good perimeter defender.  Outside shooting is a little suspect.  

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »

My recollection was not that he "failed" but that he didn't meet a required GPA for conditional admission.  (He had to get a 2.5 and got a 2.0 or something like that.)  

And let's be honest here, IU was oversigned by one player and Crean found a way to let go of the least heralded of this incoming freshmen class.  I can guaranty you that if this were Hollowell or Perea, they would find a way to get him into school.  Beyond shady.

That being said, I think Patterson is pretty much like I have read about Ferguson.  Long for his size.  Good perimeter defender.  Outside shooting is a little suspect.  

More shady than denying a committed recruit because he didn't submit his official application on time?

/Runs.
/Ducks for cover.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
More shady than denying a committed recruit because he didn't submit his official application on time?

/Runs.
/Ducks for cover.

Yeah and the excuse making around here in Indiana is eerily similar....

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »

Yeah and the excuse making around here in Indiana is eerily similar....

Well, it's alumni/fans trying to cope with the reality that their program might not be "better" than everybody else...

Fans will stretch any facts they have to fit the narrative that their school and coach aren't (sometimes) screwing kids.

IU fans are doing it. UK fans do it. UNC fans do it. KU fans do it.

I guess it's just part of big time hoops. *Shrugs*.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 08:40:23 AM »
I will tell you this...the Patterson family has been *great* about the whole thing.  No complaining.  No bitching.  And this guy has a high motor and a high basketball IQ.  I just worry that we are becoming a team with too many slashers and not enough shooters.  But if Buzz wants him...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:52 AM »
I will tell you this...the Patterson family has been *great* about the whole thing.  No complaining.  No bitching.  And this guy has a high motor and a high basketball IQ.  I just worry that we are becoming a team with too many slashers and not enough shooters.  But if Buzz wants him...

I usually just defer to the head coach. I don't see any of these kids play, so if Buzz wants him, then I'm cool with that.

I hope has Buzz seen enough of the kid on and off the court to make an accurate evaluation.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:49:38 AM by Guns n Ammo »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
I assume he talked to his buddy, TC

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 09:18:37 AM »

/Runs.
/Ducks for cover.

Actually it's the same. My point was never that I liked what happened with Newbill, only that I objected to the hypocrisy of some MU fans who were shocked by the Newbill situation but unfazed by the Damian Saunders fiasco. When a coach wants a player badly enough, he'll move mountains to get him admitted even if he is unquestionably unqualified (see Wade, D.). When a coach oversigns or has a better player fall in his lap, guys who are qualified suddenly don't make it by arbitrary (invented?) standards (Saunders, Newbill, Patterson).

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
I will tell you this...the Patterson family has been *great* about the whole thing.  No complaining.  No bitching.  And this guy has a high motor and a high basketball IQ.  I just worry that we are becoming a team with too many slashers and not enough shooters.  But if Buzz wants him...

curious as to why you don't feel he can shoot?  all i know about him is the 5 min. of tape posted on here, but his shot was something that looked impressive to me.  didn't seem to be able to jump out of the gym, but did seem like he went/finished strong around the rim. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 10:52:51 AM »
Actually it's the same. My point was never that I liked what happened with Newbill, only that I objected to the hypocrisy of some MU fans who were shocked by the Newbill situation but unfazed by the Damian Saunders fiasco. When a coach wants a player badly enough, he'll move mountains to get him admitted even if he is unquestionably unqualified (see Wade, D.). When a coach oversigns or has a better player fall in his lap, guys who are qualified suddenly don't make it by arbitrary (invented?) standards (Saunders, Newbill, Patterson).

That's fair. My comment wasn't directed at anybody specifically, just the tendency of fans to justify things when it's their own program, and critique similar situations at other programs.

I guess it also happens from one coach to the next within the same program.

Personally, I don't really know where I draw the line on this kind of stuff. I'm probably a hypocrite because if MU is winning, I don't really get too upset. If they start losing, this type of stuff will probably be more of an issue.

Winning is the cure all for a lot of stuff.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »
That's fair. My comment wasn't directed at anybody specifically, just the tendency of fans to justify things when it's their own program, and critique similar situations at other programs.

I guess it also happens from one coach to the next within the same program.

Personally, I don't really know where I draw the line on this kind of stuff. I'm probably a hypocrite because if MU is winning, I don't really get too upset. If they start losing, this type of stuff will probably be more of an issue.

Winning is the cure all for a lot of stuff.

See Pitino, Louisville.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »
His recruiting profile say his strengths are three point shooting and defensive/athletic ability.  Creating and using his left hand are areas for improvement.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »

Yet you have been the one beating the Jake Thomas won't get any playing time and is basically useless on the team other than being a practice player?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »
See Pitino, Louisville.

See: Everyone, Everywhere

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
Yet you have been the one beating the Jake Thomas won't get any playing time and is basically useless on the team other than being a practice player?

Because of his liabilities on the defensive end.  Nice try though....I give it a B-minus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
His recruiting profile say his strengths are three point shooting and defensive/athletic ability.  Creating and using his left hand are areas for improvement.

That's good!  I have seen him play live a few times, and he is constantly taking it to the rim...most likely because he can. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
I posted this in May 2011 -->

Patterson is good, not great.   Could turn into a very good player.  Settles a lot, although he's not close to an elite shooter.  Can do multiple things though.. solid overall, not great.  Could be pretty good, but I'm not sold.

Saw him a bunch more later that summer, no real change in thoughts.  Good player. 

His shot is actually quite pretty (nh) and if you caught him at the right time you might think he's an incredible shooter - streaky.  I've seen the hot, I've seen the cold.  If he takes smart shots and really takes care of business on defense, could turn out being pretty good.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »

That's good!  I have seen him play live a few times, and he is constantly taking it to the rim...most likely because he can.  

Because of his liabilities on the defensive end.  Nice try though....I give it a B-minus.

And how do you know Jake Thomas's limitations defensively?  Have you watched him play a lot - or are you jumping to a conclusion based on him being a traditional?  

But yes, generally the guys who are great athletes (who I assume you are correlating to be great defensive players), fail to develop a great perimeter shot as a high school player...as they can generally get to the basket at will...as you acknowledge above.

But yeah, as you said you are concerned we aren't recruiting enough strong shooters - yet when we do they aren't adequate due to defensive limitations...yet also you realize the good athletes generally attack the rim because they can...and obviously shooting from point blank range has a higher percentage of going in than 20' from the basket.

Nice try though, I'd give your explanation about a C-.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
And how do you know Jake Thomas's limitations defensively?  Have you watched him play a lot - or are you jumping to a conclusion based on him being a traditional? 

I have watched him play when he was in the state tournament.  I know people who have played against him.  I saw the reports of him at the ProAm.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

I have watched him play when he was in the state tournament.  I know people who have played against him.  I saw the reports of him at the ProAm.

Fair enough.  Though Steve Kerr and Jeff Hornacek were able to carve out NBA careers while being less than stellar defenders.  Novak seems to be doing it too. 

Jake has better athleticism than Travis Diener, and Steve Novak.  Believe some in the ProAm saw Jake throw down a put back dunk - something I'm pretty sure we never saw Diener or Novak do while at MU....and I'm sure you'd agree with me that generally guys who jump pretty well, usually have pretty good athleticism/quickness...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
Maybe Jake Thomas = Rob Frozena.

Maybe Jake Thomas = Gary Rosenberger.

Probably Jake Thomas = something in between.

We'll find out pretty soon. Can the argument be tabled until we get a chance to watch him play?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »

Defense at the pro am are you kidding? In college defense is mostly team defense anyways, which means understanding assigments. I think Thomas will be more than adequate at that. I really believe that if Mayo had not returned Thomas would have seen significant minutes. Most of the minutes for the 2-3 will be taken by Mayo, Blue and Lockett. He is essentially replacing Jones. I have also seen how Thomas can go on shooting streaks and expect him to contribute more than Jones did in two years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
Defense at the pro am are you kidding? In college defense is mostly team defense anyways, which means understanding assigments. I think Thomas will be more than adequate at that.

Really?  The style that MU plays pressuring the ball out top?  I don't think he is a good fit for that all all.  If you could hide him in a sagging defense that's one thing, but not the way that MU plays.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
Patterson reminds me a little of Dwight Buycks.  He has all the tools, looks great, could almost be a point guard, can get his shot off from anywhere... but will he take bad shots because he can get his shot off anytime (but not necessarily high percentage good shots)... that would be my concern.  Shot selection and knowing not to take a long turn around fade away with time left on the shot clock versus passing the ball...   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »

Really?  The style that MU plays pressuring the ball out top?  I don't think he is a good fit for that all all.  If you could hide him in a sagging defense that's one thing, but not the way that MU plays.
I seen Gardner and Otule pressing the ball ot top, so Thomas can too.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 07:25:05 PM »
Jake has better athleticism than Travis Diener, and Steve Novak.  Believe some in the ProAm saw Jake throw down a put back dunk - something I'm pretty sure we never saw Diener or Novak do while at MU....and I'm sure you'd agree with me that generally guys who jump pretty well, usually have pretty good athleticism/quickness...

jake doesn't come close to bringing what Novake and Diener did to the offensive side of the ball, and i don't believe he'll guard his position as well either.  i was amazed how steve stepped up his rebounding his senior year, and diener had a competitiveness to him that simply allowed him to defend his position well. 

i think you would agree that for his position/height, jake is extremely unathletic by mu standards.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:29 PM »
Nothing against Jake, but comparing him to Diener and Novak is comparing him to national top-100 players. I hope he comes good, but anyone that thinks he is on their level, guys that both went on to play in the NBA, is really overselling the kid and simply building unrealistic expectations.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.