Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beating Providence  (Read 11260 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Beating Providence
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
The “wrong way” game, or at least the one that I am thinking of, was against UConn.

I was referring to the “I went into the wrong bathroom game” ;)

Yes, you are right.  This was also a classic.  Junior hit a trey to tie it in regulation.  So many memories.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 08:43:12 PM »
I was referring to the “I went into the wrong bathroom game” ;)

Yes, you are right.  This was also a classic.  Junior hit a trey to tie it in regulation.  So many memories.
the interview with Junior after was  classic. If someone could find it please post .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
Lower the level of adrenaline, calm down the player, so he is less likely to foul. That is the theory....

Ah, theory or myth?  We do it becsuse everybody does it.  In my view, minutes are minutes and 3 points are three points.  What's the diffrenc if they happen in the first half or the second half?

I fail to see the benefit in hording minutes.  If the game ends and we are down x points and a player has one, two or three fouls "saved" where is the benefit?

I can sort of understand the logic for a rim protector, but for a 3 point shooter I must be missing something.   Keep the shooter on the floor the maximum time, and if necessary, let him foul out.

We are dealing with a unique player and therefore need a unique strategy, no?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 09:57:18 PM »
Ah, theory or myth?  We do it becsuse everybody does it.  In my view, minutes are minutes and 3 points are three points. What's the diffrence if they happen in the first half or the second half?

I have watched plenty of college basketball games where a player hits two or three threes early and keeps shooting them even though he will not make another one.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 10:06:08 PM »
I have watched plenty of college basketball games where a player hits two or three threes early and keeps shooting them even though he will not make another one.

Good point, BUT we are not dealing with any college player, we are dealing with an elite player, let him play, let him shoot, let him foul out.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 10:12:47 PM »
Good point, BUT we are not dealing with any college player, we are dealing with an elite player, let him play, let him shoot, let him foul out.
I somewhat agree with this. I have seen many players sit several minutes, because they have too many fouls and never foul the rest of the game. Having them sit on the bench is not doing the team any good. However, Howard cannot stay away from getting fouls under the basket. We also need at least Markus or Rowsey on the floor at all times and if we let Markus foul out to early it would not allow us to rest Rowsey.

Cream Biggums

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 10:15:09 PM »
Heading to the Dunkin Donuts Center for the first time on Wednesday to watch. Taking the train from Boston to Providence station, does anyone have any experience doing this? Also throw in any suggestions for bars nearby to watch the end of the Cavs Celtics game afterwards.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
Oh, and I hope that, if necessary, we have a third option for bringing the ball up at the end of the game.  If we are up by double digits at the end of the game, who fouled out is not that critical.   Better that then these nail biters that can go either way.  Let's try and put somebody away and not play safe all the time. 
Let's be a front runner and not hold on for a close win. 

Or am I missing something?  Is the BIG EAST a place where, for business purposes, close dramatic endings are part of the draw?   That's probably another subject.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 10:25:21 PM »
I somewhat agree with this. I have seen many players sit several minutes, because they have too many fouls and never foul the rest of the game. Having them sit on the bench is not doing the team any good. However, Howard cannot stay away from getting fouls under the basket. We also need at least Markus or Rowsey on the floor at all times and if we let Markus foul out to early it would not allow us to rest Rowsey.

Lots to agree about.  Yes, what is Markus doing under the basket in the first place?
I'm hoping Markus does not foul out in the first ten minuets and I am making an assumption that he hits enough 3's to make his time on the floor count for something.

I think that his sitting wastes opportunity and then lets the opponent focus on Rowsey.   Opportunity cost is always a difficult cost to calculate.   Basketball seems to concentrate on a players worth at end game.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 10:31:25 PM »
How long and how well can Cartwright play on his ankle?

Cartwright? Should be 5... 10 minutes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 10:33:08 PM »
Will Cartwright dribble the ball even once without carrying it this year?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 09:28:49 AM »
Heading to the Dunkin Donuts Center for the first time on Wednesday to watch. Taking the train from Boston to Providence station, does anyone have any experience doing this? Also throw in any suggestions for bars nearby to watch the end of the Cavs Celtics game afterwards.

I grew up in Rhody. It's a bit of a walk from the train station to the Dunk so you might want to Uber if the cold continues on this level. Right around the Dunk there are a ton of sports bars Trinity Brewhouse, Black Sheep, Murphys, Blake's Tavern.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »
If Cartwright is full strength, this will be a tough game.  If he is only able to play limited minutes, I like our chances.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 12:30:13 PM »
Let Markus play, no bench time, except when he is winded.   Let him play his way out of any so-called slump.  Forget about his fouls, he is not a defensive studd, he is a dead eye.  That is why other teams are all over him.  Don't be predictable.

I generally agree that coaches put players on the bench too long when they have foul trouble, but Howard is a little unique in my book.  This is a team with four really good free throw shooters and five below-average free throw shooters.  In a game where MU has a slight lead, it is such an asset to have Rowsey, Hauser and a 100% free throw shooter in the game.  Howard is valuable throughout the game, but he is extremely valuable in those final minutes where MU has to win it at the line.  With our shooters in the game at the end, teams are apt to not even bother fouling in the final minute.  Insert a freshman and it's a different story. 

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 12:56:17 PM »
I generally agree that coaches put players on the bench too long when they have foul trouble, but Howard is a little unique in my book.  This is a team with four really good free throw shooters and five below-average free throw shooters.  In a game where MU has a slight lead, it is such an asset to have Rowsey, Hauser and a 100% free throw shooter in the game.  Howard is valuable throughout the game, but he is extremely valuable in those final minutes where MU has to win it at the line.  With our shooters in the game at the end, teams are apt to not even bother fouling in the final minute.  Insert a freshman and it's a different story.

This is getting to be some kind of a logic problem, help.
How about let him play until he gets 4 fouls, take him out, then put him in at the most appropriate last minute.
It just galls me seeing him sit on the bench because of some myth, theory, wives tale, or punitive measure.
Lets beat Providence before the last 30 seconds.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
This is getting to be some kind of a logic problem, help.
How about let him play until he gets 4 fouls, take him out, then put him in at the most appropriate last minute.
It just galls me seeing him sit on the bench because of some myth, theory, wives tale, or punitive measure.
Lets beat Providence before the last 30 seconds.

Because you need to put him in to spell Rowsey at point.  If he has four fouls by halftime, Rowsey can't get a break the entire second half.  There are no other point options.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2018, 01:08:42 PM »

Because you need to put him in to spell Rowsey at point.  If he has four fouls by halftime, Rowsey can't get a break the entire second half.  There are no other point options.

Elliott has and can run the point.  But not sure he's ready to do so unless its garbage time or for a quick 1 or 2 minute spurt in a contested BE game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »
Two reasons to rest players in foul trouble.

1. Avoid picking up a quick foul that turns moderate foul trouble into major foul trouble. Players aren't always aware they are in foul trouble.

2. A player in foul trouble might become so passive on D, while trying to avoid fouling, that team defense suffers. Sometimes it feels like you're playing a man short if one defender has to be a matador.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
Two reasons to rest players in foul trouble.

1. Avoid picking up a quick foul that turns moderate foul trouble into major foul trouble. Players aren't always aware they are in foul trouble.

2. A player in foul trouble might become so passive on D, while trying to avoid fouling, that team defense suffers. Sometimes it feels like you're playing a man short if one defender has to be a matador.

1.  Lets find out if Elliot can run the point, I bet he can.
2.  Take Markus out for one turn and tell him he has three fouls.
3.   He may play better with three fouls, lets see???
4.   The problem is his sitting on the bench, not the number of fouls, 2, 3, 4. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »

1. The time to find out if Elliott could run the point was against cupcakes. As he didn't get much run there in the non-con, now is DEFINITELY not the time to start the experiment. Something tells me if there were indicators in practice that he was ready for that role now, we'd have seen it already.
2. Lying to players probably isn't a good way for the staff to build rapport.
3. See #2.
4. Him sitting on the bench is a problem, but it needs to be solved by smarter play, not a philosophical change. We need Markus late in games. If he fouls out at the 15:00 mark of the second half, he's useless to us the rest of the night no matter what the rest of the team does. If he's unavailable, the rest of the team can play the game trying to compensate for time he's out and he can be available in the most high-leverage moments while allowing Markus short stints to spell Rowsey and make sure the team stays efficient and fresh. For better or worse, if he has foul trouble, we need to be careful with him because there simply aren't other options.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »
I'm onboard with not worrying about Markus' foul issues in the second half or at least not being ultra conservative with it, but we absolutely need Markus to spell Rowsey in 2nd halfs.

Also Elliot at full strength I'd get comfortable with running the point but with his thumb injury he just doesn't have the handle we need, especially in press break situations.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2018, 02:03:46 PM »
Gonna need Sac to play like that consistently and hit his free throws

onepost

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2018, 04:13:41 PM »
Sounds like Cartwright is still pretty limited but is looking to play tomorrow.

We may be catching Providence on the road at just the right time, cause this game is huge for us considering the stretch we have coming up.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2018, 05:48:05 PM »
Greg can play the point.  His personality on the court is ideal for it. He is still recovering from the injury, which limits his handle to a certain degree right now. I think next year is when we see him playing taking on the leadership  role.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:07 PM »
what is Markus doing under the basket in the first place?

He has drawn several charges this season. Those are always huge plays.

Obviously, if he is in foul trouble, he can't be trying to draw them. But when he isn't, he should. And he does. And though I don't have stats for it (are those available?), my recollection is that he does it pretty well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback