[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beaten by the zone?  (Read 2712 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Beaten by the zone?
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:15:58 PM »
Just a few observations, I wasn't able to watch the game, but I tracked on on cbssportsline.  I looked at the shot charts, DJ and Wes combined to shot 1-20 on their jumpers.  McNeal shot 6-12 on his.  The team shot 10-40 overall on their jumpers.  Since I didn't watch the game, maybe you guys can fill me in on whether this was two of the big three simply missing shots, or TC not having an answer for the zone.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Beaten by the zone?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
I only saw about 5 or so "set" plays that effectively beat the zone.  The rest were a lot of dribbling around followed by a jump shot, or a drive into the lane asking for a turnover.  Ugh.  I better cool down before posting more...

Doc

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »
There must not be much in the playbook when it comes to attacking a zone.   We don't move the ball to get the zone moving. The ball primarily stays out on the  perimeter. We'll pass and then stop to look.  Pass, then look some more. Maybe dribble a little bit and then settle for a three-point shot with under 10 on the shot clock.  We don't put pressure on the defense. I'm baffled by the fact that we don't seem to know how to attack the zone.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:34:43 PM by Doc »

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »
I totally agree with Doc. It is appalling that Crean hasn't learned to coach against the zone. This isn't the first year that we have had this problem under Crean. I have nothing against Crean besides his ability to not use the strengths of the players he has. He built this team around the idea that he didn't want to ever be short on guards. Unfortunately, he forgot to recruit some guards that can shoot! Acker will definitely not help in this area. Let's get out there and press and run. We aren't going anywhere with this stand around offense. I looked forward to last season with the idea that we would be young and talented. It would be fun to watch them grow and play a little above .500. This year is getting embarrassing and it  became apparent against North Dakota St. that we can't shoot and we don't have a consistent presence in the post. I hope he gets this thing together quickly.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
It didn't take me 25 seconds into the game, before I thought we were in trouble.  It should have come as no surprise that SU came out in a 2-3 zone.  Yet it looked like it was a shocker to the 5 on the floor.   When that possession ended in a TO, I elbowed my wife and told her it's gonna be a looong night.

.. MU better get some more plays on how to beat the zone, because if any of the guys coaching the remaining 15 games want a W, it's gonna be all zone.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 08:44:15 AM »
I counted two occasions where a pass inside was efectively utilized to break down the zone.  I lost count at the number of perimeter pass to top of key to perimeter pass to top of key........ad naseum.....with EVERYONE standing in virtually the same spot.  That's an offense?  I not only wanted to scream, I, and many, did scream.  Do something, for cripes sake.
Ludum habemus.

mutpm

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:51:06 AM »
SU played 5 guys in the 2nd half.  Paul Harris was the only sub and he played 1 minute.  MU would not move the ball or players to make the defense work.  There were so many possessions where SU got to rest for 20-25 seconds while MU did nothing but hold the ball or make slow passes.  It was so frustrating to watch Devendorf and Roberts able to play such long stretches without getting another foul.  Devendorf played the final 10:23 of the 1st half without picking up a foul.  Roberts played the first 18 minutes of the 2nd half without getting his 4th foul.  SU had no bench last night and MU refused to take advantage of it. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 09:03:09 AM »
Indeed, the passing around behind the arc was just sickening.  No one was moving, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.  For a minute there, I thought I was at the MU/Western Michigan NIT game.

Honestly, it really stunned me, like the guys either don't have a playbook, or totally forgot it, and were just winging it for great stretches.