'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 09:11:02 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:05:25 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 07:24:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Who is Worse

Mr. Duke/North Carolina- Dickie V
Mr. New York- Len Elmore

Author Topic: Who is Worse?  (Read 3492 times)

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
Who is Worse?
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
Who is the more annoying analyst?

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: Who is Worse?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »
This is really really hard.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:23:15 AM »
close vote so far.
can we vote for both?

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:27:18 AM »
I'll go with Elmore because he bores me.    As much as I'd hate to say it, I like Dukie V.   He's one of my guilty pleasures

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:28:07 AM »
Not even close in my mind.  Len Elmore is by far the worst.  

Dickie V has a lot of Marquette love.

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:34 AM »
Dickie shills too much for me. I really don't need his tearful bleatings about his favorie cancer fund in the last 10 minutes of a basketball game.

Oh, yeah, and can we tone down the volume a bit? He makes Billy Mays sound like the horse whisperer.

Truly, quite often, the bars we watch games at in KC don't always have the sound up. OK by me. I've learned more about basketball reading this message board than I've everl learned from the commentator's anyway.

Finally, am I allowed a write-in? I'm really tired of Digger telling me about all of ND's strong points after they've just notched another 14-point loss.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »
Not a fan of either, but Dukie V is at least enthusiastic and clearly loves what he is doing.  A very cogent analyst when he feels like it, too, which isn't too often anymore.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:34 AM »
Elmore's worse--Dickie V is so over the top I have to laugh sometimes. Don't think Elmore has ever evoked much of any reaction from me.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 08:02:17 AM »
I voted for Vitale for one simple reason. Elmore is far more willing to praise the players on the court, where Vitale cannot stop himself from constantly praising the coaches, as if the payers are not even out there. I have no problem giving coaches credit for a job well done, but to hear Vitale during an average game, one would think basketball did not exist prior to guys like Roy Williams, Rick Pitino, K, Boeheim, Calhoun, etc.

Elmore will praise a (NY City) player for a good play...As a rule, it seems Vitale will give the priase to the coach for putting said player in position to make said play.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »
Dickie V is worse.

Think about volume.

I can ignore elmore.

I can't seem to ignore Dickie.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:09:23 AM »
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but Elmore always seems to have an axe to grind with the nonoriginal members of the Big East.  Clearly his heart is with the original east coast members.  He'll go on and on about how great Nova's players are and it's like pulling teeth to get him to compliment MU.  His only discussion regarding MU is their shortfalls.  In a season in which we have one player who is the all-time leading scorer, one who is the all-time leader in FTs made and one who is runner-up in total assists.... and in a season in which we are at the top of the BEast, this really really pisses me off.  What more do we need to do Mr. Elmore? 

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:22:14 AM »
It really gets to me when Elmore refers to the teams in the Northeast as we and us.  I should be ashamed but I enjoy Dickie's enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:09:44 AM by radome »

nola03

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
Elmore clearly has more credibility. He knows the game better then Vitale. Because he's not a showman, people get down on him.

And I also think a lot of MU fans are waaaaaaay too sensitive when it comes to getting "respect" from outlets. Face it, until MU wins the conference or reaches the Final Four the establishment (media included) will always regard us as the cousin who brought lots of memories when we were younger (thanks to Al!!).

Lenny's an east coaster but he went to Maryland. If anything, he'd shill for the ACC. Tomorrow will be a little different because he has a past with John Thompson so he does like to pump to the Hoyas.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
If Len Elmore acknowledged that the country had more than one time zone, I wouldn't despise him so much.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »
My son graduated from UNC last May so we've followed their games closely the last few years. For the record, UNC students and fans refer to Vitale as Dookie-V because of his unabashed love for Dook and their coach who is called "Rat Face" by Tar Heel fans. Dookie- V has no real affinity for UNC and if you notice he can't ever mention UNC without a reference to Dook in the same sentence.

Incidentally, outside of Durham, most people in NC (or the ACC for that matter) don't think much of Coach K because he is not really the nice guy he is portrayed to be in the sports media. His F bomb laced tirades from the bench are a regular occurrence and truly offend anyone other than hard core Dook fans.

It all reminds me of how AL used to ask Billy Packer if his name was spelled P-ACC-ker because of his love for all things ACC and especially Dook.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
They're both bad. Having said that I sure do miss Dick Enberg. There was no better play by play and color commentator than he and Al when NBC use to cover college basketball. When CBS took over it went down hill pretty quickly.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
My son graduated from UNC last May so we've followed their games closely the last few years. For the record, UNC students and fans refer to Vitale as Dookie-V because of his unabashed love for Dook and their coach who is called "Rat Face" by Tar Heel fans. Dookie- V has no real affinity for UNC and if you notice he can't ever mention UNC without a reference to Dook in the same sentence.

Incidentally, outside of Durham, most people in NC (or the ACC for that matter) don't think much of Coach K because he is not really the nice guy he is portrayed to be in the sports media. His F bomb laced tirades from the bench are a regular occurrence and truly offend anyone other than hard core Dook fans.

It all reminds me of how AL used to ask Billy Packer if his name was spelled P-ACC-ker because of his love for all things ACC and especially Dook.

Take that with a grain of salt though, that is like asking a Badger fan what there thoughts on TC were. I think just about any coach swears on the side line, and I dont think most of them are as nice as they are portrayed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
If Len Elmore acknowledged that the country had more than one time zone, I wouldn't despise him so much.

More than one time zone would be an expansion of Len's world.
I'd be happy if he could acknowldge more than one area code.

feedback