[Today at 10:46:19 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Viper
[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Penny pinching at Seton Hall  (Read 4391 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Penny pinching at Seton Hall
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:42:22 PM »
Yikes.

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/17/seton-hall-is-too-cheap-to-be-in-the-big-east/

Seton Hall Too Cheap to Be in Big East

Yes, times are tough. Everyone is looking to cut costs anywhere. Even athletic departments are not immune. That said, there are efficient cost reductions and there's being just plain cheap. Seton Hall has long been considered on the cheap side with their athletic department. They have skimped on academic support. They play their games off-campus. The college has been known to tap the athletic department budget to make up other budget shortfalls.

This move, however, takes the (undoubtedly moderately-priced and purchased from the supermarket) cake.

The university has decided not to send the pep band and cheerleaders to the Big East Tournament to save money. Apparently the cost of chartering a bus or maybe two to take that group of students barely nineteen miles to and from Madison Square Garden, was just too much money to spend.

According to Jerry Carino, a New Jersey sports writer and journalism professor, the school decided to do this after finding out that Cincinnati and maybe DePaul were not going to send their pep bands to the Big East Tournament, because of the cost of the flight and hotel for the band. All other programs in the Big East are sending their cheer squads and pep bands.

Apparently, Seton Hall felt that Cincinnati's absence provided sufficient cover not to send its own pep band and cheerleaders, despite only having to provide bus service. In the Seton Hall administration's collective mind, there was little difference between paying for airline tickets and hotel accommodations in New York City, as Cincinnati would have to do, and a local bus charter.

Yes, Seton Hall is a small school, and the present economic climate is difficult. If, however, they find that they can't afford to have their band and cheerleaders go to the conference tournament within easy driving distance, then it might be time for Seton Hall to reconsider if it should be playing Division I basketball in a major conference. Clearly the costs must outweigh the money they are making.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Penny pinching at Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
In the Seton Hall administration's collective mind, there was little difference between paying for airline tickets and hotel accommodations in New York City, as Cincinnati would have to do, and a local bus charter.

How does a flight from Chicago or Cincinnati cost the same as a bus ride from Jersey?

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »
that my firend is called sarcasm...does this newspaper not use teal?...that was sarcasm too.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
If they're trying to tighten the budget, then why not ask the kids to pay their own way.  I'm sure that the glut of them would oblige, or even have a fundraiser to send the band to the tourney.  Heck, if our team was playing a game 20 miles away and the band couldn't afford to go, I'd front them the money for a couple buses.  I really hope that there's something else to this story.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »
That's really a shame. What do they save, $1000? $2000?

I think Bobby G should reach down in his tailored trousers and come up with the cash.
We Are Marquette

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:56:52 PM »
There are commercial buses that go from Jersey City right into the Port Authority, which is a 10-minute walk from the Garden. You could get the band and pep squad there for under $100. Ridiculous.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
I believe they have a donor ponying up the cash now, which is probably even sadder.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
And this is why the whole idea of a "Catholic Conference" with Seton Hall, DePaul and some of the rest of these yokels is just a dumb idea. 

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
I believe they have a donor ponying up the cash now, which is probably even sadder.

No it's not!!

Signed,
UWM Alumni

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08:42 AM »
That's unfortunate for the bandos and cheer.  Trips to BET and NCAA are the best parts of being in those groups (Men's and Women's teams).  It does get expensive, especially considering that a bus is needed to transport the band and gear.  I've carried a bass drum for 10 blocks once before ... it is not at all fun.

Keith

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »
Where the hell is Boone Pickens when you need his wallet most?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »
And this is why the whole idea of a "Catholic Conference" with Seton Hall, DePaul and some of the rest of these yokels is just a dumb idea. 
DePaul, Seton Hall to the A-10.
Trade USF for BC with the ACC
SLU to the Valley.

Problem solved. ;D
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
This has been on Seton Hall's minds since they heard all BEast teams will go to the tournament. I am just surprised that this is the best idea they could come up with to save money. They could easily have gotten these kids there if they just cut womens sports out of the athletic budget
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »
Where the hell is Boone Pickens when you need his wallet most?

Or the TARP money or bailout stimulus.....there has to be something in there for pep bands and cheerleaders?  There's stuff in there for everything else.   ;)

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »
This is sad news. One of the fun things about any conference tournament is the community spirit. It's diminished if some don't play.

Then again, how many lousy versions of "Hey, Baby"  do we need to hear, anyway?

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 04:06:41 AM »
So, with a stretched budget, how were the Brewers able to make a five-year, $100 million offer to CC Sabathia, you ask? Attanasio showed his sense of humor in answering that question.

"We had a secret plan for that," he said. "We were going to buy a small regional bank and apply to the government for federal aid."

Sounds like Seton Hall should get on the same plan
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:43 PM »
That's unfortunate for the bandos and cheer.  Trips to BET and NCAA are the best parts of being in those groups (Men's and Women's teams).  It does get expensive, especially considering that a bus is needed to transport the band and gear.  I've carried a bass drum for 10 blocks once before ... it is not at all fun.

Keith

Birdman?  Caww, Caww!!!!

I, too, know the pain of carrying a large band bass drum for long distances. . . i think the longest walk was the one around the Wake Forest arena in 2007, especially b/c it ended in the smoking section!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:41:20 PM by rugbydrummer »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »
Smart move for DePaul, but Cinci, you're bubblicious!

You need all the help you can get.  Travel the band and hope one of them punches a horse so you can write a book and sell the movie.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »

Don't the pep band tickets come out of the school's ticket allotment?

If so, I would bet that SHU felt they could give use the band tickets with boosters and  alumni to boost donations. 

On the PR front, SHU is better off looking cheap as opposed to selling the band's tickets out from under them to the highest bidders.