[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Momma said there'd be days like this  (Read 18759 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Momma said there'd be days like this
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
Don't tink Froling makin' a 3 is a good thin'. Actually, knot takin' 'em wood bee bedder. MU kneads an ass kicka 'round da rim, knot another jackerupper, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 08:08:48 AM »
I really appreciated Froling's work on the glass tonight. He does a good job getting position and using his wingspan.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »
I really appreciated Froling's work on the glass tonight. He does a good job getting position and using his wingspan.

I noticed this too. Doesn't totally make up for his defensive ineptitude but I really hope that comes with time. Thought Harry looked good outside of his obvious defensive lapses last night.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 08:31:30 AM »
Don't tink Froling makin' a 3 is a good thin'. Actually, knot takin' 'em wood bee bedder. MU kneads an ass kicka 'round da rim, knot another jackerupper, aina?
Harry has a nose for rebounds. That can’t be taught. I prefer to see him exploiting his strength that way.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:02 AM »
Depends what position he is playing.  If he is at the 5, I would agree.  If he is playing at the 4 (as he was after Sam got hurt), its ok as it helps spread the floor just as Sam does.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2018, 09:41:54 AM »
This is unfair as we do play defense first since we never win the tip.

I chuckled

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
Why are people harping on the "9 days" thing?  Having nine days to prepare for someone doesn't mean you are going to be better than them.  They could have had 3 days or two weeks and the result would have been the same.

Regardless, this isn't a preparation issue.  This is a incomplete team issue.  People get on Howard and Rowsey for chucking it up, but really if Sam is out of the game, what other options are there?  There is no reliable interior scoring.  No one can really put it on the floor and take it to the basket with any consistency. 

This is why I said at the beginning of the year that NIT was the likely outcome.  This team is way too incomplete to win consistently in the BE.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »
Harry has a nose for rebounds. That can’t be taught. I prefer to see him exploiting his strength that way.

He needs to play more. Matt's stat line of mostly zero's night in and night out is not helping.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2018, 10:06:50 AM »
This is delicate territory.....I know... here come the wuss comments.

After 6 years of taking care of my folks and watching their health decline, and then losing both of them this year, it has been a trying time for me. After Xmas, I took the past month and went down to Florida to decompress. It was a great time, and something I needed.

Well, upon returning home I got the bug that's been going around, and have been also fighting the blues. Sometimes, things don't go as planned, and it's easy for a person, coach, or team to get really down after a rough patch and maybe even overdue it physically and mentally to get that winning mojo back. This time of year, with health being so fragile, I hope we take the right tack.

Throw this one out. As a horse trainer would say, "draw a line through that race." The last thing a winning conditioner does is overwork and punish a class horse. And yes, as a unit, we are still a class steed. Get that animal's mind right...healthy and fresh again. Our guys know they kind of embarrassed the Marquette brand a bit. The staff has 3 days to prepare for V. The players will be ready.  Can't wait to watch the race Sunday.
Great post. Glad to hear you're bouncing back after a turbulent year.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
This team is way too incomplete to win consistently in the BE.
This applies to every team, but Nova and Xavier this year. This conference ain't for the faint of heart.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:10:54 AM by Windyplayer »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:49 AM »

He needs to play more. Matt's stat line of mostly zero's night in and night out is not helping.

I mean that's fine and all but he's not going to help the team improve on the defensive side of the ball.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2018, 10:21:41 AM »
Wasn't expecting a victory, but not a beatdown.

FYI, Goodin was a top 70 recruit, who actually developed and Scruggs was a top 40 recruit who will be a nice player. They both had major roles in the win.
Congrats to Bluett for 2,000 points and for Rowsey telling him congrats, nice gesture.  Remember Fox or ESPN did a segment on him and family, very good kid.

I know some like Heldt for his energy, enthusiasm, etc., but my goodness he has been terrible.  Don't care about energy, need some b-ball ability. He now has 21 points in eight BE games, nine of which came in one game.  He has one field goal in last three games. Time to play Theo and Froling, with Heldt third string. 

Wouldn't want to be on that plane headed to MKE. 

X had had our number last few years, that will change since they lose Bluett, Macura, Kanter and O'Mara.

Did X have our number when we swept them last year? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »
Did X have our number when we swept them last year? 

No.  But both teams are different this year.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
It's not a good loss obviously, but it's also not deserving of chicken littling either. This is the first performance in conference play that you can same MU just didn't play well. There are potentially reasons for that which makes this a nothing burger or it is indicative of the team over performing to date and this is a start of the under performing but we don't know either way at this point. Based on everything I've seen to date, I have no reason to believe this game was anything other than an outlier.

From an NCAA tournament bid standpoint nothing changes with this result. Getting a win this week against either X or Nova would be great but it is absolutely not required by any stretch of the imagine.

#RespectTheProcess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »
Good comment on switching out Heldt for Theo.  I still go back to the thought of just foul somebody super hard.  Soon as guy comes into dunk then just lay one on him.  Knock him to the ground.  Line up for the free throws.  At least make them think about it instead of thinking. . .sweet, another dunk!  I would much rather see one of the 10 fouls between Heldt and Theo used for that and send a message instead of on an illegal screen or bumping somebody on the hip helping a guard.  Bring the nasty for once! 

Either way, I see Heldt as a third string bring the energy guy.  The fact that he is starting yet. . . does it say something about the others practice habits?  Oh, and to add the 'next year' comments. . .think of Theo John, Morrow, and J Hauser replacing Heldt.  There you go!  Also one less selfish chucker in Rowsey gone.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Good comment on switching out Heldt for Theo.  I still go back to the thought of just foul somebody super hard.  Soon as guy comes into dunk then just lay one on him.  Knock him to the ground.  Line up for the free throws.  At least make them think about it instead of thinking. . .sweet, another dunk!  I would much rather see one of the 10 fouls between Heldt and Theo used for that and send a message instead of on an illegal screen or bumping somebody on the hip helping a guard.  Bring the nasty for once! 

Either way, I see Heldt as a third string bring the energy guy.  The fact that he is starting yet. . . does it say something about the others practice habits?  Oh, and to add the 'next year' comments. . .think of Theo John, Morrow, and J Hauser replacing Heldt.  There you go!  Also one less selfish chucker in Rowsey gone.

Remember, Erik Williams started for a number of games over Jae Crowder. Total minutes matter way more than who starts.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
It's not a good loss obviously, but it's also not deserving of chicken littling either. This is the first performance in conference play that you can same MU just didn't play well.

Disagree with that. They've been largely bad since the Hall game.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 11:16:32 AM »
So next year we only lose Rowsey, which is a gain on the defensive end. Anyone have any insight into the defense of the guys we have coming in next year? Joey, Morrow, Bailey, Eke

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2018, 11:20:40 AM »
Disagree with that. They've been largely bad since the Hall game.

Not sure how you can say that: O against Butler was great, D was bad and the reverse was true against DePaul. Besides the DePaul game was a Milton Berle game. If you want to make the argument that Rowsey has been bad since the Hall game, I will listen to that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2018, 11:21:52 AM »
Why are people harping on the "9 days" thing?  Having nine days to prepare for someone doesn't mean you are going to be better than them.  They could have had 3 days or two weeks and the result would have been the same.

Couldn't have described Too Tan Tommy's coachin' any better myself, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
So next year we only lose Rowsey, which is a gain on the defensive end. Anyone have any insight into the defense of the guys we have coming in next year? Joey, Morrow, Bailey, Eke

They're all rangy and long.  That should help.

Agreed. If you're going to foul, foul hard.  Make him make his free throws.  I like the idea of starting Theo and letting him set the tone down in the paint early.  He isn't a great defender yet, but he is physical and isn't afraid to knock someone over.  We need more of that.  Matt is far too timid in the paint. 

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2018, 11:24:00 AM »
X's frosh are bigger than most of our guys. The only guy coming in next year to have some muscle is Morrow.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 11:31:40 AM »
X's frosh are bigger than most of our guys. The only guy coming in next year to have some muscle is Morrow.

Joey will have 8 months of Todd Smith when he suits up for MU and Brandon Bailey will have 4 months of Todd Smith....along with Morrow they will be meater than we've been and that doesn't count Elliot and Cain filling out.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 11:32:18 AM »
How come our defense sucks every year

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
How come our defense sucks every year
Marquette's defense has pretty much sucked since Deane left.    There were a couple of years under Buzz where it ended up better than it seemed when watching individual games.       But Crean couldn't coach defense.    Buzz's rotations were so complicated that some freshmen could not grasp them.   And they broke down and led to lay ups, too.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback