[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Congrats to Sparty  (Read 1947 times)

tower912

• All American
Congrats to Sparty
« on: December 08, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »
Now THAT was a display of toughness, leadership, and a 'refuse-to-lose' mentality.   Well done, Green.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Congrats to Sparty
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 12:04:18 PM »
Now THAT was a display of toughness, leadership, and a 'refuse-to-lose' mentality.   Well done, Green.   

I was mildly interested in seeing what the voters would have done today if OSU had hung on.  I was at a party last night with someone who said Auburn shouldn't be in the title game (this is before the Big Ten game was decided) because they let Missouri score 42 on them.

So I asked the guy, so letting #5 Missouri score 42 on you should keep you out of the national championship game, but letting unranked Michigan put 41 on you (when an extra point would have been 42) is ok for OSU?

:o

The BCS was better than the old days, but I'm looking forward to the playoff.  I just wish they did 8 teams, not 4. 

Here's how I would have set it up:

Champions from the following conferences automatically in the 8 team field IF that team finishes in the top 12 in the BCS poll or similar type of poll.  If not, then they are not guaranteed a spot but can be considered as an at large.

Auto Qualifiers
Big Ten
Pac 12
SEC
ACC
Big 12

Then you have 3 at large berths (assuming all 5 champs are in top 12) which can go to teams like Notre Dame, another SEC (or even two SEC), or Big Ten, or even a school like Boise State, etc.  That is done either by committee or some ranking procedure.  Seed the teams 1 to 8 and play.  I would also re-seed after each round.

I like this because it makes the regular season games meaningful again.  You don't have teams like Oregon just giving up once their national title hopes were dashed.  It would also give an out for someone like Alabama, who I still think is no worse than #2 team in the country.  Plus, it gives every conference winner an automatic bid to the playoffs.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »
I was mildly interested in seeing what the voters would have done today if OSU had hung on.  I was at a party last night with someone who said Auburn shouldn't be in the title game (this is before the Big Ten game was decided) because they let Missouri score 42 on them.

Where were all those fans/pundits/analysts who constantly crow about how good all the SEC defense are? That game had 1000 yards and 10 TD in only 3 quarters.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
Where were all those fans/pundits/analysts who constantly crow about how good all the SEC defense are? That game had 1000 yards and 10 TD in only 3 quarters.

I wouldn't judge the whole SEC on one game, lots of talent on the other side of the ball, too.  I watch SEC games and I know 20% of the players are going to be playing on Sundays, or at least that's how it seems.  I can't say that about any other conference, though the Pac 12 has its share.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »
MSU could be in the National Championship if not for Notre Dame.  Yikes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
Always fun to see the pretentious folks from tOSU get bitch-slapped!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:32:04 AM »
Here's how I would have set it up:

I like the idea of a bigger playoff, but I would really like a 12-team playoff. It would be incredibly lucrative as you have 2 weeks with 4 games each, then a week of semifinals and the title game.

• 8 Champion Bids: SEC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, ACC, Mountain West, AAC, C-USA
  • Any non-bid conference teams ranked in the top-16, which would cover undefeated or 1-loss Notre Dame, BYU, NIU, etc.
  • At-larges go to the highest ranked teams in the country
Most years that will mean the 8 champs, 1-2 non-qualifier bids (say Irish and maybe an undefeated MAC team), and 2-3 at-larges for SEC, Big 10, or whatever other big conferences. If the SEC is as bad as they claim, they'll pull down 3-4 bids and can mudstomp their way to the title. The top four champions all get byes in the first round.

• First Round: Teams seeded 5-12 go to play-in games.
  • Quarterfinals: First round winners are re-seeded and play the 4 highest ranked conference champs. No team may play the champion of their own conference unless there are 4 advancing teams from the same conference (highly unlikely)
  • Semifinals: No reseeding here, 1/8 winner plays 4/5 winner and 2/7 winner plays 3/6 winner
  • Final: Straightforward championship game.
I think this would pretty much kill all the griping and people saying they got left out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
Always fun to see the pretentious folks from tOSU get bitch-slapped!

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »
MSU could be in the National Championship if not for Notre Dame.  Yikes.

A game where Dantonio put in Andrew Maxwell over Connor Cook for the last series of the game even though Cook had played the rest of the game. Maxwell proceeded to go incompletion, delay of game, false start, incompletion, short scramble to end the game. Think Dantonio may regret that decision?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
That game was decided more by the series of pass interference calls on ND scoring drives.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 04:37:08 PM »
Totally agree with that, but still think Cook was a better option there.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
Not saying you are wrong.   But the MSU offense was so bad in September it was probably a moot point.    Much like MU's is now.....hmmmmmm...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
Not saying you are wrong.   But the MSU offense was so bad in September it was probably a moot point.    Much like MU's is now.....hmmmmmm...

So you're saying we'll be in the Final Four?  I like where your head's at.

Wait, nevermind, they're in a glorified exhibition game.  So NIT?  Sh!t!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback