[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mountaineer buyer's remorse  (Read 3151 times)

tower912

• All American
Mountaineer buyer's remorse
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
http://www.williamsondailynews.com/view/full_story/21894028/article-I-really-miss-the-Big-East?instance=popular&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

This won't be the last column like this written.    And when I see the bit about how many miles WVU athletes have flown this year, it completely eliminates Gonzaga from ever joining the Big East.    Or, at least until we can teleport. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Mountaineer buyer's remorse
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:19 AM »
$.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »
A couple things here:

First, while I understand their nostalgia for the old Big East, if WVU officials had to make that decision over again, they would of course choose to accept Big 12 membership.  What other choice did they have?  The ACC likely would not have invited them even after Maryland left.  Louisville was going to get that invite.

Second, WVU is in no worse a travel position than Miami was in the Big East...and USF is now.  Well, maybe it is slightly worse due to all the trips to Texas.  But it is hardly unprecedented.  The Pac 12 has some pretty nasty travel, but as a conference they do things to mitigate that.  I mean, the Big East remnants are also going to have to deal with bad travel issues too.

I think the biggest problem for WVU in the Big 12 is that it just isn't a cultural fit at all.  They really should be in the ACC, but the ACC has never wanted them.  Or they could have been a choice for the SEC...but they chose Missouri instead.  So this is the best position that they can realistically get - and it sucks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
It sucks for any number of universities and serves as a reminder to me that Marquette and our new Big East conference foes should feel absolutely blessed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
A couple things here:

First, while I understand their nostalgia for the old Big East, if WVU officials had to make that decision over again, they would of course choose to accept Big 12 membership.  What other choice did they have?  The ACC likely would not have invited them even after Maryland left.  Louisville was going to get that invite.

Second, WVU is in no worse a travel position than Miami was in the Big East...and USF is now.  Well, maybe it is slightly worse due to all the trips to Texas.  But it is hardly unprecedented.  The Pac 12 has some pretty nasty travel, but as a conference they do things to mitigate that.  I mean, the Big East remnants are also going to have to deal with bad travel issues too.

I think the biggest problem for WVU in the Big 12 is that it just isn't a cultural fit at all.  They really should be in the ACC, but the ACC has never wanted them.  Or they could have been a choice for the SEC...but they chose Missouri instead.  So this is the best position that they can realistically get - and it sucks.

Don't overlook one important fact: You can fly into Tampa, Miami, Waco and even Spokane and be to the arena/field within a matter of minutes.  If you're going to WVU, you have to land in Pittsburgh and drive 80 miles to get to Morgantown.  A bus into the mountains, perhaps snow... you might spend more time on the bus than on the plane from Austin.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:09:06 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
Don't overlook one important fact: You can fly into Tampa, Miami, Waco and even Spokane and be to the arena/field within a matter of minutes.  If you're going to WVU, you have to land in Pittsburgh and drive 80 miles to get to Morgantown.  A bus into the mountains, perhaps snow... you might spend more time on the bus than on the plane from Austin.

Morgantown does have an airport with regular airlines flying in.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »

I was pretty confused on that one. I know WV is back woods, but I didn't think it was that backwoods.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »

Airport, yes.  Regular airlines, no.

Landing strip is 5200'... not even long enough for an MD-80 in weather.  Unless you're bringing the football team in on ten Learjets, you're landing in Pitt or Charleston.

BTW - The only airline that flies in to MGW is a regional carrier under UAL's flag, and then, only because the routes are heavily subsidized by the US DOT.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:06:56 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 01:22:07 AM »
Airport, yes.  Regular airlines, no.

Landing strip is 5200'... not even long enough for an MD-80 in weather.  Unless you're bringing the football team in on ten Learjets, you're landing in Pitt or Charleston.

BTW - The only airline that flies in to MGW is a regional carrier under UAL's flag, and then, only because the routes are heavily subsidized by the US DOT.

If a field services 737's the runway length depends on Max Take Off Weight, Elevation, Mean Daily Max Temp of Hottest Month, Flap Settings.

A 737 with a MTOW of 174,000 lbs, at 1000' field elevation, in July with a mean Daily max Temp below 85 Fahrenheit, at 40 degree flaps requires 9,000' of paved runway.

This means that only very small aircraft can use the field at Morgantown if the 5,200' figure is correct.

Clearly Sultan must know since he stated that Morgantown has an airport with regular airline service.

Sultan, how much runway is needed for a 737 with the above parameters but using 15 degrees of flaps? 

Death on call

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »
You guys are NICE with the info.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
If a field services 737's the runway length depends on Max Take Off Weight, Elevation, Mean Daily Max Temp of Hottest Month, Flap Settings.

A 737 with a MTOW of 174,000 lbs, at 1000' field elevation, in July with a mean Daily max Temp below 85 Fahrenheit, at 40 degree flaps requires 9,000' of paved runway.

This means that only very small aircraft can use the field at Morgantown if the 5,200' figure is correct.

Clearly Sultan must know since he stated that Morgantown has an airport with regular airline service.

Sultan, how much runway is needed for a 737 with the above parameters but using 15 degrees of flaps? 

Hey all I know is I went onto Orbitz and saw that they have airline service....subsidized or not...it means that planes can fly there.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
Two good friends live in Parkersburg. To get to MKE or DEN (places they would normally fly) they have to go out of PIT.

I went to the Buzz Dances game at WVU. We drove. Another friend needed to fly out back to DET. His MGW flight was a prop over the mountains to Washington D.C., changed planes to a regular jet, and on to DET. Also, we drove through a whiteout blizzard on our way out of that game to the south.

So, no, Morgantown is not easily accessible.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
Hey all I know is I went onto Orbitz and saw that they have airline service....subsidized or not...it means that planes can fly there.

Something tells me that a pilot isn't going to try to land a large jet carrying 100 football players, coaches and staff at Morgantown Municipal just because Orbitz says it has airline service.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »
Something tells me that a pilot isn't going to try to land a large jet carrying 100 football players, coaches and staff at Morgantown Municipal just because Orbitz says it has airline service.

Valid point.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »

WWSS?

What would Shatner say?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
WWSS?

What would Shatner say?

Isn't he Priceline? Noticed they are grooming a new face for the Brand. Why William Shatner had any success as an actor is beyond me. One of the worst actors of our time.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 04:07:54 AM »

Well, he can land. Once. Not sure who gets the bill when he runs out of runway at 5,201' and damages the carriage, airframe, and fods out the power plants. And after the depot level maintenance to fix the catastrophic damage is completed he ain't taking off until they extend the runway out to 9,000'. But it won't be the first cockpit crew because they'll have had their licenses yanked for incompetence.

Death on call

feedback