[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2016 Gavitt Tip-Off Games  (Read 8270 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
2016 Gavitt Tip-Off Games
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
St John's at Minnesota.
Providence at Ohio State.
Villanova at Purdue.
Seton Hall at Iowa.

Rutgers at DePaul.
Maryland at Georgetown.
Northwestern at Butler.
Wisconsin at Creighton
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: 2016 Gavitt Tip-Off Games
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:00:01 PM »
Rutgers at DePaul.

This should be an annual home and home....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »
This should be an annual home and home....

Too funny!  I was thinking "now there's the series highlight!"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:44:28 PM »
Let's Go Jays!

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 08:44:44 PM »
Marquette is guaranteed of not losing in the Gavitt Games this year!

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 09:00:44 PM »
My prediction.  Big East goes undefeated and the Big(can't count) cries about how unfair the series is.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 09:20:52 PM »
Yuck

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
Only really compelling game is Maryland at Georgetown but if Trembles gone that loses some luster

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
I hope there's an extra mop guy for the Creighton/Wisconsin game. Lot of bodies hitting the floor in that one.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 09:50:19 PM »
Butler Northwestern should be a fun game.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MUFlutieEffect

• Team Captain
    • The Flutie Effect
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
How are these decided?  And who makes the call? 

Why not just play 10 Tip-Off Games and include the entire Big East?

Is it assumed each Big East team will play 4 out of 5 years (an even rotation)?
The Flutie Effect: "A significant and positive correlation between a university having a successful team and higher quality of incoming freshmen, alumni donations, and graduation rates."

- The Economist, January 3rd, 2007

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 10:12:33 PM »
Hmm...this looks a bit unbalanced to me. My too early predictions...

St John's at Minnesota - I feel like St. John's will take a big step forward this year, while Pitino is trying to tread water and instead finds himself swimming backwards.
Providence at Ohio State - Buckeyes at home, coupled with a young, talented core against a Providence team without Dunn and possibly Bentil. Toughest game for a Big East team.
Villanova at Purdue - Probably going to be the marquee game as long as Swanigan returns. Still, 'Nova is just better and deeper.
Seton Hall at Iowa - If Whitehead comes back, SHU will be very tough. Even if he doesn't, Peter Jok and Dom Uhl are the only returning players that played 40% of Iowa's minutes. Tough ask for a very inexperienced Hawkeye team.

Rutgers at DePaul - Rutgers is a festering turd, DePaul is at home and at least has some semblance of a team. Shocking to say I like the Blue Demons here, or anywhere.
Maryland at Georgetown - Tossup because I'm not a huge fan of JTIII right now. If Trimble stays, UMD could have something, but I'll give the edge to the home team.
Northwestern at Butler - Butler at home against perennial underachievers? Only one way I'd expect this to go.
Wisconsin at Creighton - This is definitely the game of the night for the second day. Bucky will be good, Creighton will also be good. That's a tough building to go get a win in. Heart says Jays, head says Bucky because they suck like that.

Big East wins 6-2.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 10:14:56 PM »
I hope there's an extra mop guy for the Creighton/Wisconsin game. Lot of bodies hitting the floor in that one.

This was good

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
Ohio St will not be any good. They are losing 3 or 4 players. One to NBA and three transfers. The only game we should not be favored to win is Creighton vs. Wisconsin.

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 10:32:51 PM »

Absolutely

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »
Hmm...this looks a bit unbalanced to me. My too early predictions...

St John's at Minnesota - I feel like St. John's will take a big step forward this year, while Pitino is trying to tread water and instead finds himself swimming backwards.
Providence at Ohio State - Buckeyes at home, coupled with a young, talented core against a Providence team without Dunn and possibly Bentil. Toughest game for a Big East team.
Villanova at Purdue - Probably going to be the marquee game as long as Swanigan returns. Still, 'Nova is just better and deeper.
Seton Hall at Iowa - If Whitehead comes back, SHU will be very tough. Even if he doesn't, Peter Jok and Dom Uhl are the only returning players that played 40% of Iowa's minutes. Tough ask for a very inexperienced Hawkeye team.

Rutgers at DePaul - Rutgers is a festering turd, DePaul is at home and at least has some semblance of a team. Shocking to say I like the Blue Demons here, or anywhere.
Maryland at Georgetown - Tossup because I'm not a huge fan of JTIII right now. If Trimble stays, UMD could have something, but I'll give the edge to the home team.
Northwestern at Butler - Butler at home against perennial underachievers? Only one way I'd expect this to go.
Wisconsin at Creighton - This is definitely the game of the night for the second day. Bucky will be good, Creighton will also be good. That's a tough building to go get a win in. Heart says Jays, head says Bucky because they suck like that.

Big East wins 6-2.

Umm. Gophers were a joke last year but were better than St John's. And they are adding a really nice class.

Per usual they will disappoint being he gophers. But they should win a home game vs SJU.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »
Brew, I had the exact same thoughts.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 01:17:05 AM »
Umm. Gophers were a joke last year but were better than St John's. And they are adding a really nice class.

Per usual they will disappoint being he gophers. But they should win a home game vs SJU.

I don't know...St. John's was one of those teams that looked like they had talent but couldn't put it all together. I think Mullin will turn things faster than people think.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:59 AM »
Don't count on Creighton/Wisconsin to be accurate. Creighton was not slated to be in the games this year. Even our SID is denying the accuracy of this report. This seems to be Xavier's game and even they are suprised by it.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 08:12:03 AM »
How are these decided?  And who makes the call? 

Why not just play 10 Tip-Off Games and include the entire Big East?

Is it assumed each Big East team will play 4 out of 5 years (an even rotation)?

It's actually an 8 year agreement so there is no set in and out of schools. Xavier was actually pretty upset that they got left out this year and are basically scrambling to find a quality opponent to replace what they thought would be a home game against the Big 10.

Once we were announced for the Veteran's Classic plus our commitment to the 2K tournament it was going to be real hard to squeeze in a home game with the 2 home dates for the 2K and the travel for the Vandy game.

Each Big East school is guaranteed 6 appearances. So at worst we will be in 5 of the next 6 Gavitt games. If we are good again, we might be one of the 4 to be picked to play 7 times.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Ohio St will not be any good. They are losing 3 or 4 players. One to NBA and three transfers. The only game we should not be favored to win is Creighton vs. Wisconsin.
I think Creighton will be very good next year and they have shown an ability to beat quality teams in the OOC. 
            ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
I don't know...St. John's was one of those teams that looked like they had talent but couldn't put it all together. I think Mullin will turn things faster than people think.

That's true. But the gophers were basically the same way and were slightly less bad with a better class.

Basically the variable is whether or not they keep having 3somes and conduct detrimental to the team or beating woman.

It's a clown show. But the team is pretty talented.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 08:54:32 PM »
I agree with this analysis.
            ---Al McGuire