'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marial Shayok  (Read 16738 times)

Aircraftcarrier

• Team Captain
Marial Shayok
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »
Had the opportunity to watch Marial Shayok play.Some observations:good but not great athlete,very long,really nice handle,good first step to basket,good passer,played strictly on the perimeter,seems to understand the defensive end of court and is willing to play defense.Some concerns:did not take an outside shot or even a mid range shot and missed both free throws he attempted.If he can knock down the outside shot the sky is the limit.

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Marial Shayok
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
Had the opportunity to watch Marial Shayok play.Some observations:good but not great athlete,very long,really nice handle,good first step to basket,good passer,played strictly on the perimeter,seems to understand the defensive end of court and is willing to play defense.Some concerns:did not take an outside shot or even a mid range shot and missed both free throws he attempted.If he can knock down the outside shot the sky is the limit.

Did he score at least, dunks, do you see him getting anytime next year, can he rebound?  Is he a wing player, another player that can not score the ball from the outside, fits the MU mold,
can he play the 4?  Is he thick or skinny?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:41:12 AM »
Did he score at least, dunks, do you see him getting anytime next year, can he rebound?  Is he a wing player, another player that can not score the ball from the outside, fits the MU mold,

Is that 8 questions?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:18:01 PM »
Is that 8 questions?

more the merrier

WarhawkWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
One of 105 McDonald's All American nominees along with Cohen and Hill.

MUeagle05

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »

Yes, no, maybe, when he wants to, sometimes, maybe, yes, yes, medium

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »
One of 105 McDonald's All American nominees along with Cohen and Hill.

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego
MU15

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
From what I've seen of each recruit, he might be the best of the bunch when it's all said and done. Very high ceiling.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:44:10 PM by MUfan12 »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:45:02 PM »
Hill, Cohen, and Shayok are undoubtedly excellent players, but the only thing required to be a McD's AA nominee is for someone to fill out a sheet of paper on your behalf. Pretty sure it can be anyone, or maybe it has to be a coach. In any event, there was something like 45 McD's AA nominations from the state of Iowa alone a few years back. Doesn't mean ALL that much when you look at it that way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:04:50 PM by Jajuannaman »

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 05:40:03 PM »
Sounds like quite a few of the players on the team today.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:30 AM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:18 AM »
To be honest I see him getting the least amount of playing time of any of our recruits next year. Theres really no minutes available for a player of his skill set on net years team.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »
i'd bet on buzz playing anyone who can defend and rebound. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:42 AM »
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego

I want you to know that this did not go unappreciated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 08:24:39 AM »
i'd bet on buzz playing anyone who can defend and rebound. 

My hope is that he's a Juan Anderson with more offensive skill. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 08:36:10 AM »
He needs to be a better all around player than Juan, who is merely pedestrian.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:09 AM »
He needs to be a better all around player than Juan, who is merely pedestrian.

Well, that's kind of what I mean.  If he can defend like Juan, but be able to put the ball in the hoop better, he will be a good player.

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
It just amazes me on this board how every recruit needs to be "The Star" from day one or he is completely useless to the team. Forget growth and development, especially if it takes a few years to see. Juan is a nice role player on this team. Does some nice things when he is in. Then there is the off the court work which earns him a start once in a while. Good for the team imho.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
It just amazes me on this board how every recruit needs to be "The Star" from day one or he is completely useless to the team. Forget growth and development, especially if it takes a few years to see. Juan is a nice role player on this team. Does some nice things when he is in. Then there is the off the court work which earns him a start once in a while. Good for the team imho.

Not to mention that by value added he is one of the top defenders in the country.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »

To be fair, 4ever wasn't bashing on Juan.

But others have.  And I completely agree with you.  Sure he may not have panned out the way the collective Scoop wanted, but he works hard on the court, is seemingly a good kid, and Buzz loves him.  And you have people who want him to, or think he should transfer?

Oh hell no.  On a team full of underclassmen next year, you want a guy who has been in the system for four years, understands his role, and works his ass off without complaining.  I don't think it's a coincidence that Derrick and him sat in for Buzz a couple weeks ago on his coach's show.  He may not be a star when all is said and done, but that doesn't mean he won't play a valuable role.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »

Agreed. But this board also think that not being "the man" in your first year means you are an automatic transfer.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »
Agreed. But this board also think that not being "the man" in your first year means you are an automatic transfer.
If this is in refernce to JaJuan--there should be a legitimate concern of him transferring after this year. He's absolutely buried behind a very pedestrian backcourt. Top 35 recruits have higher expectations for themselves for better or worse. I'm sure Buzz has sounds reasons for not playing him, it's just a difficult situation.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »
If this is in refernce to JaJuan--there should be a legitimate concern of him transferring after this year. He's absolutely buried behind a very pedestrian backcourt. Top 35 recruits have higher expectations for themselves for better or worse. I'm sure Buzz has sounds reasons for not playing him, it's just a difficult situation.

I was referencing: JJJ, Steve, Duane, Burton, and Juan... As all have been referenced in the past week and a half.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »

Well he might.

But the issue is that if he wants to play high level division 1 basketball next year, Marquette is absolutely his best chance.  His only chance really.  He's not behind too many people (if any) if he looks at the future.

But that's not the only reason someone transfers I know.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »

He simply needs to unbury himself then.