'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Carlino a Warrior  (Read 34626 times)

Markusquette

• All American
Re: Carlino a Warrior
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
Agree with this analysis.

I guess that makes two dummies (safe insult?) then.  I don't think anyone has a clue how Duane will perform his first year.  I have high hopes, but whoever says adding a skilled 5th year senior with experience is a subtraction to the team isn't thinking with much clarity.  The experience is a big plus, regardless of what role he has on the team.  

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
I guess that makes two dummies (safe insult?) then.  I don't think anyone has a clue how Duane will perform his first year.  I have high hopes, but whoever says adding a skilled 5th year senior with experience is a subtraction to the team isn't thinking with much clarity.  The experience is a big plus, regardless of what role he has on the team.  

Well there you have it. The Patrick Reed Stamp of Approval.

Death on call

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 26, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
[/quote

I agree, the players want to win, you play the best players.  If somebody transfers in the future, so be it. I am sure Duane and the rest are up to the challenge. Carling is much better than Jake and his outside shot with Duane's range will up the lane for Burton  and Fisher.  I expect every team has issues, just think What Buzz would have done with 13 players.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
Well there you have it. The Patrick Reed Stamp of Approval.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2014, 09:48:22 PM »
If Duane is such a talent (which I hope he is) then why is Carlino coming in a problem? Wojo will see that and start him at the point. Carlino will shift to SG or be a backup.

I seriously don't understand how there is any downside to this.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
Where does this "Duane at the two spot" comes from. Just because of Carlino, Duane and Dawson are not seen as point guards next year? Wow

Typically you don't have more than 2 players running the point on a team. Carlino seems like he will be the starter and Derrick only has the skill set to be a point. Duane can play multiple positions. We will be running four guard sets next season, we will need our points to play the 2 and even the 3.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »
A kid with this arsenal of talent deserves only 10 minutes a game and hasn't proved anything yet?????   ?-(

A smart coach would push the ball up with Duane at the 1, JJJ at the 2 and Burton at the 3 Taylor at the 4 and Fisher at the 5. 

Dawson, Mayo and Cohen would also get minutes.  Small but speed kills line-up.

8 deep rotation with Anderson, Derrick Wilson emergency players on the bench (Anderson playing more until Fisher eligible).   

Carlino subtracts more than he adds as Duane Wilson is a very special talent and will probably only play a year or two at MU before being ready for the NBA....take away his minutes and him and his dad will have him on the next train out of town to a school that will play him 30 minutes a game as too much money is at stake for someone with his NBA talent.

Marquette needs to stay the uptempo urban based team as we cannot compete with trying to look and play like Wisconsin in Wisconsin as they have a monopoly on those type of traditional players that can help you win with that style of play at the highest level. 

Wojo with this move appears to want to make us Duke of Milwaukee with a lot of traditional role players which just won't work and will push us back to a level more with UW-Milwaukee than Duke. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxMYxKiEI

Why don't you go back to your Nevada ranch and keep the gubmint from stealin' your cattle, Cliven Bundy. Then you can tell us one more thing you know about the Negro.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »
So you think that Dawson plays 5 minutes a game at SG and that's his playing time for next year? I think if that happens he will be a mid season transfer. I wonder if Derrick is considering transferring? He played 30 minutes a game last year and to be cut down to 10 would be a big slap in the face.

Derrick is one least egotistical players I have ever seen. Comes from a military family. He will do whatever the coach asks of him.

Last season Dawson was the 2nd of 2 point guards. This season he will be the fourth of four. I think he will have the chance to earn his playing time. I think most likely it will be at the 2 in a three or four guard set. I think there are a lot of unknowns between Dawson/Duane/Johnson/Cohen. Us scoopers know nothing about how they will perform when they get consistent minutes. It will be up to CoWojo to determine their skills and how to best utilize them. And if Dawson can't earn the minutes and transfers because of it, than best of luck to him. It means he wasn't good enough to hack it at Marquette. I really don't understand this fear of players transferring because of lack of playing time.

These are my predictions, nothing more. I also wouldn't be surprised if Duane/Dawson/Cohen are even better than advertised and get more minutes than I predict.

What are your predictions?
TAMU

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »
So you think that Dawson plays 5 minutes a game at SG and that's his playing time for next year? I think if that happens he will be a mid season transfer.

If Dawson ends up playing 5mpg and is a mid-season transfer, good luck to him.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
If Dawson ends up playing 5mpg and is a mid-season transfer, good luck to him.
I am not sure he would transfer. I am sure he played more than he expected to last season when he signed with MU. Derrick Wilson, Carlino and Mayo are seniors, so it would not be unreasonable for Dawson to expect his playing time to increase significantly as a junior. He would transfer, if he does not like Wojo and maybe if MU signed a highly touted point guard that would result in Dawson not playing much as a junior or senior.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:41:43 AM by bilsu »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
What is all the hype about Dawson?  He needs to improve in all aspects of his game, particularly strength.  Not strong enough yet.  This will be a big summer for him and Duane.  Wojo will
play the players that are the Best 5, he did not recruit these kids.  This is Buzz's talent, so really they start practice right now with 11 kids, 5 will prove they deserve the most time.  Rarely
do you see kids transfer after there soph year, they do it right away.  Wojo kept all 9 that is a good sign.  They only have 7 after that, there will be time for Dawson, lots of it, after next
year. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2014, 11:22:11 AM »
Why don't you go back to your Nevada ranch and keep the gubmint from stealin' your cattle, Cliven Bundy. Then you can tell us one more thing you know about the Negro.

I'd ask his body guard

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2014, 06:48:54 PM »
Derrick is one least egotistical players I have ever seen. Comes from a military family. He will do whatever the coach asks of him.

Last season Dawson was the 2nd of 2 point guards. This season he will be the fourth of four. I think he will have the chance to earn his playing time. I think most likely it will be at the 2 in a three or four guard set. I think there are a lot of unknowns between Dawson/Duane/Johnson/Cohen. Us scoopers know nothing about how they will perform when they get consistent minutes. It will be up to CoWojo to determine their skills and how to best utilize them. And if Dawson can't earn the minutes and transfers because of it, than best of luck to him. It means he wasn't good enough to hack it at Marquette. I really don't understand this fear of players transferring because of lack of playing time.

These are my predictions, nothing more. I also wouldn't be surprised if Duane/Dawson/Cohen are even better than advertised and get more minutes than I predict.

What are your predictions?

I respect your opinion and I told you my prediction about what Dawson would do if given Derrick's minutes the other day. Obviously things have now changed. I really don't see Derrick getting more than a couple minutes in mop up duty with the addition of Carlino. I'm not going to go on a Derrick bashing session, but when you are as big an offensive liability as he is, he adds a negative value to the team when playing major minutes. He can be useful if used in defensive situations, but beyond that I fail to see where he offers any value. That should be his role in my opinion and should probably equate to 4-5 minutes a game. He has probably reached his potential, while Dawson in theory should be still ascending. I think this is going to turn into an interesting situation and hope Wojo gives everyone a fair shake. Open competition should bring out the best in everyone and we will be better because of it!

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2014, 11:48:58 PM »
A kid with this arsenal of talent deserves only 10 minutes a game and hasn't proved anything yet?????   ?-(

A smart coach would push the ball up with Duane at the 1, JJJ at the 2 and Burton at the 3 Taylor at the 4 and Fisher at the 5. 

Dawson, Mayo and Cohen would also get minutes.  Small but speed kills line-up.

8 deep rotation with Anderson, Derrick Wilson emergency players on the bench (Anderson playing more until Fisher eligible).   

Carlino subtracts more than he adds as Duane Wilson is a very special talent and will probably only play a year or two at MU before being ready for the NBA....take away his minutes and him and his dad will have him on the next train out of town to a school that will play him 30 minutes a game as too much money is at stake for someone with his NBA talent.

Marquette needs to stay the uptempo urban based team as we cannot compete with trying to look and play like Wisconsin in Wisconsin as they have a monopoly on those type of traditional players that can help you win with that style of play at the highest level. 

Wojo with this move appears to want to make us Duke of Milwaukee with a lot of traditional role players which just won't work and will push us back to a level more with UW-Milwaukee than Duke. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TxMYxKiEI

Exactly. I spoke to Duanes dad in NYC at the Big Debacle that was Buzzards last game coaching and hes certainly not gonna have Duane here playing spot minutes for wojo. Anything other than prime time and Duane is gone.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
Exactly. I spoke to Duanes dad in NYC at the Big Debacle that was Buzzards last game coaching and hes certainly not gonna have Duane here playing spot minutes for wojo. Anything other than prime time and Duane is gone.

Okay
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2014, 01:11:16 AM »

1) I don't believe this for a second

2) If it is true, Duane is a lot more grounded and mature than his father. Because from all that I have been hearing he understands that playing time is earned and has been working his ass off to get better.

3) If it's true, then good riddance. If you aren't good enough to beat out your competition and you instead demand playing time because you believe you are entitled to "prime time," then you are a cancer to the team. Playing time is earned and at the time of this supposed conversation Duane hadn't done anything to prove that he is better than his competition. He may very well do that and be the best player on this team, but until he earns it, he doesn't have a right to a single minute on the floor.

I still don't understand the fear some people have about players transferring because of playing time. If they weren't good enough to earn time, than they probably weren't that good to begin with. Let them transfer to North Carolina Central, Eastern Illinois, or Florida Gulf Coast to find their minutes.
TAMU

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2014, 01:18:16 AM »
Duane tweeted the other day about his grandpa dying and how he always wanted to see him play at MU (his page is deactivated right now so I can't get the exact wording).  I really don't think he would leave because of playing time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
Duane tweeted the other day about his grandpa dying and how he always wanted to see him play at MU (his page is deactivated right now so I can't get the exact wording).  I really don't think he would leave because of playing time.

But did his grandfather want to play at MU? Guy might have gotten winded playing prime time minutes.

Death on call

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
awesome.

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »
But did his grandfather want to play at MU? Guy might have gotten winded playing prime time minutes.

I don't know how many years of eligibility he had left, but maybe we could've pulled a "Chris Otule"-type exception for him

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2014, 02:02:37 PM »

If Duane is as good as some think, he will play. If not, he won't. Pretty simple.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
If Duane is as good as some think

Bert didn't think so...

Death on call

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »
Bert didn't think so...
And we all know what that let to: 17-15; several players looking at transferring; no dance; Buzz gone; and the slurpers burping.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »
And we all know what that let to: 17-15; several players looking at transferring; no dance; Buzz gone; and the slurpers burping.

Well, that's better than anal coughing...

Death on call