collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 60 Minutes: How soon will self-driving cars become part of our lives?  (Read 8905 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: 60 Minutes: How soon will self-driving cars become part of our lives?
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
I want nothing of a car that has the ability to calculate that driving its passanger off a cliff might be the most minimized damage in an otherwise unavoidable accident.
You do realize the reason the car would calculate you driving off the cliff is probably because the other driving was drunk/texting causing it to make the decision in the first place? Seriously I don't get why a death by computer calculation is so much worst than thousands of deaths by human negligence.

I can see a point in twenty years when drivers are banned. You can't drive safely with traffic going 100+ but computers can on a highway. What to drive? Fine take the frontage roads and side roads but the majority of people want a safer ride that will cut transportation time by 30%

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2016, 06:00:03 AM »
So what will one these self driving cars cost.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2016, 07:02:36 AM »
I have to imagine that widespread usage would improve traffic issues significantly. How many traffic jams occur when there are people looking at what's going on alongside the road rather than any actual lane reduction? Even lane reduction would likely be smoother with cars in sync for zipper patterns. I say bring on our new technological overlords.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2016, 11:00:34 PM »
I have to imagine that widespread usage would improve traffic issues significantly. How many traffic jams occur when there are people looking at what's going on alongside the road rather than any actual lane reduction? Even lane reduction would likely be smoother with cars in sync for zipper patterns. I say bring on our new technological overlords.
Unfortunately, people like me will drive twice as much which will negate some of the benefits. (And by drive I mean send my car to a store to pick up a package instead of waiting fir tomorrow)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2016, 06:21:02 AM »
https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE

https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

Combining those 2 videos... Human behavior sucks in general. And it isn't going to change anytime soon. Bring on the self driving cars.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:26:51 AM by jesmu84 »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2016, 04:00:52 PM »
https://youtu.be/iHzzSao6ypE

https://youtu.be/4oqfodY2Lz0

Combining those 2 videos... Human behavior sucks in general. And it isn't going to change anytime soon. Bring on the self driving cars.

I've been trying to explain the premise of the first video for years to no avail.  All it takes is one person riding his/her brakes to start a traffic jam and cause major accidents.

Frankly, the second best idea to self-driving cars is the law of 70... if you're over 70 years old or can't drive 70 mph, you're banned.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
I continue to be conflicted between my love of the act of propelling a vehicle and my loathing of other people and their inadequate skills and cellphone addiction.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2016, 10:38:12 AM »
I continue to be conflicted between my love of the act of propelling a vehicle and my loathing of other people and their inadequate skills and cellphone addiction.

Will/should emergency vehicles also make the switch to self-driving? If all cars are self-driving it should be simple for those to make room for an emergency vehicle.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »
Will/should emergency vehicles also make the switch to self-driving? If all cars are self-driving it should be simple for those to make room for an emergency vehicle.

Will and should
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

I would be absolutely shocked if we didn't at some point. Vehicle accidents are the #2 cause of fatalities for fire and emergency medical personnel. Now granted, a high number of those are from volunteers that are responding in personal vehicles, but there's not a person on this job that hasn't seen emergency vehicles involved in or tangentially related to accidents that occur around them. I've been involved in an accident while driving (rear-ended while at a complete stop making a turn with lights and siren going) and know of scores of others.

In Milwaukee, there has been a push for ambulances to use lights and siren less frequently when responding to medical calls (for private ambulances like Bell & Paratech) and when transporting to the hospital (for all ambulances, including Advanced Life Support like Milwaukee Paramedic units). We're using less lights and siren in a hope to be safer, but also because drivers too often don't know how to respond when they see an emergency response vehicle behind them. I've seen people run red lights, stop dead in traffic, pull to the left, start speeding as fast as possible to avoid pulling over, and become involved in accidents themselves because they have no clue what to do when there's an emergency vehicle responding in their vicinity (the correct answer is calmly pull to the right and come to a complete stop).

When it comes to the fire service, what makes dollars makes sense. Bear in mind that while we may see this for passenger vehicles relatively soon, it may be more difficult to implement the technology in a 30-ton fire truck that needs to be programmed to respond in an emergency fashion. Most ambulances are far more like a passenger vehicle, so I could see that coming sooner (think of driving them similar to driving a U-Haul) but I'm not sure it will be as easy to convert the technology when you are talking about an engine or ladder.

Also, it's entirely possible that actual emergency response (lights and siren) will remain in the control of a human being. That said, if every vehicle out there is correctly pulling to the right, it will make the driver's job much easier. At the end of the day, it will be about safety. I always tell new drivers that their most important job is to follow the safety procedures (completely stopping at every red light/stop sign, checking blind spots, using spotters when backing up) and make sure that they and their co-workers go home safely in the morning. Whatever accomplishes that I will be 100% in favor of.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.