'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: NBA Mock Draft for Lazar Hayward  (Read 15292 times)

Zombie45

• Walk-On
NBA Mock Draft for Lazar Hayward
« on: May 19, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft

nbadraft.net has Lazar becoming Mr. Irrelevant, being selected 60th by the Phoenix Suns.

MauraDay

• Team Captain
Re: NBA Mock Draft for Lazar Hayward
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »
I'm just happy to see his name on anyone's mock draft.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »
He's been hanging out at 60 on that mock draft for a while now... its the only one I've seen him on though. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
 As much as I love Lazar I don't see him being drafted. McNeal was supposed to be drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, so much for that. Take these mock drafts with a grain of salt. The NFL draft analysts tend to be more exact than does the NBA's, at least that is what I have found.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
over beers last night we discussed the bucks taking gordon then lazar...
my personal interest might be influencing my decision but the bucks would sell tickets if Lazar was on the team.
People say, they will sell tickets no matter what, I disagree, I think when the season ended the interest (of the majority) ended.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »
As much as I love Lazar I don't see him being drafted. McNeal was supposed to be drafted in the middle of the 2nd round, so much for that. Take these mock drafts with a grain of salt. The NFL draft analysts tend to be more exact than does the NBA's, at least that is what I have found.

Oh I completely agree... NBA mock drafts are especially inaccurate because the people that make them never seem to realize that lots of teams like to go European-with-upside in the second round over solid college players like Lazar.  They can just leave them in Europe for a few years to develop a-la Ersan Illyasova.   

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:35:36 AM »
I like his chances at getting drafted. If not, he will be in the league next year.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
I don't think he will get drafted, but I definately think it's possible for him to make it the way Wes did.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
I hope you guys are both right, but the odds are long against a free agent making a roster. They're REALLY long against becoming a starter ala Wes.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
I heard someone talking about a duke player with Jay bilas and he said that a certain player may be better off undrafted so he can pick his best shot.  

Could be true for Lazar.  I still think a very sturdy, strong, unselfish three who can defend the post, take coaching, rebound, and is a good person is someone who can find a role as the 10-11 man of the bench.  

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
over beers last night we discussed the bucks taking gordon then lazar...
my personal interest might be influencing my decision but the bucks would sell tickets if Lazar was on the team.
People say, they will sell tickets no matter what, I disagree, I think when the season ended the interest (of the majority) ended.

I think any professional team that drafts a player in order to sell tickets should just get out of the business entirely.

wadefan#1

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
I have a feeling he will be anything but irrelevant.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 08:42:31 AM »

I think any professional team that drafts a player in order to sell tickets should just get out of the business entirely.

Is not the "business" of a professional sports team to sell tickets?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:47:08 AM »
Is not the "business" of a professional sports team to sell tickets?

The point is that you sell tickets by winning, not be signing hometown heroes who probably won't see the court.

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »
Watching the Suns/Lakers game last night, couldn't help but see Lazar model his game after Phoenix's Jared Dudley.  Very similar styles.  Dudley might be better with the ball, but Lazar's a better rebounder/stronger.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 09:01:43 AM »
I hope you guys are both right, but the odds are long against a free agent making a roster. They're REALLY long against becoming a starter ala Wes.

Close, but not exaclty. If you have an owner that only wants to cut costs, then making the team as an undrafted free agent isnt such a long shot. The Jazz, in an effort to save money, actually started (and I assume ended) the season without a full roster.

It was a perfect situation for him. One or two of the other undrafted free agents he was competing against got hurt before camp started. Then I think there was a retirement and a long term injury for players on the roster. Throw in the cost cutting measures and an undrafted free agent beats a free agent with tenure.

No one will find a situation like that this summer.   

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 09:04:10 AM »
Unfortunately I do not see Zar getting drafted.  I do see him getting his opportunities in the summer league to try and play on to a roster so here's hoping he can seize the opportunity!

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 09:23:19 AM »
The point is that you sell tickets by winning, not be signing hometown heroes who probably won't see the court.

I agree.  I get that he's a hometown guy, but if he does get drafted by the Bucks (which wont happen)/makes the roster later, he is not going to see the floor initially.  If he ends up unexpectedly successful like Wes, then presumably the team is doing well and is selling tickets anyway.   

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »

Sort of.

Teams do promotions all of the time to help sell tickets.

It's not just about W's.

Is signing Lazar just to sell tickets a good move? Probably not.

Do teams sign guys because they are "fan favorites" and help sell tickets? Yes. Lazar just isn't one of those guys.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:28:00 AM by 2002MUalum »

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 09:31:29 AM »
Nevermind that making the playoffs is far more lucrative than selling an extra hundred tickets per game because a handful of people want to stare creepily at Lazar while he sits on the bench (or maybe plays garbage minutes his first year or two).

If the Bucks want a fan favorite, forget Lazar. Give me the BIRDMAN!!

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 09:46:37 AM »

Is winning and signing hometown heroes mutually exclusive?  Because it certainly seems that Cleveland did exactly that over the past few years (LeBron being from Ohio, any way).

Further, will winning guarantee success at the box office?  Absolutely not.  Case in point: The Florida Marlins.

My point is that the business of sports is to sell tickets, TV advertising and sponsorships, period; in other words, increase profits.  Some teams accomplish this by winning, some teams accomplish this by signing players that are a "draw," some teams will sell tickets despite their efforts (or lack of), some teams don't sign expensive players, and some teams do a combination of these four.

Winning is not the goal of a professional sports team, it is merely one of the various tools used to accomplish the goal.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
Is winning and signing hometown heroes mutually exclusive?  Because it certainly seems that Cleveland did exactly that over the past few years (LeBron being from Ohio, any way).

They signed him because he's Lebron-frickin'-James.  If Lebron was from Slovakia, the Cavs would have still taken him with the first pick.

The Bucks aren't going to sell any more tickets because Lazar Hayward is on the team.  If the Bucks think he is the best fit, thent by all means draft him...just don't do it because he's from Marquette.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »
Winning is not the goal of a professional sports team, it is merely one of the various tools used to accomplish the goal.

You must be a Bud Seilig fan! I didnt think any existed.

Oh, and dont tell Steinbrenner that winning is not the goal of a team; he'll rip your throat out.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 11:01:14 AM »

Further, will winning guarantee success at the box office?  Absolutely not.  Case in point: The Florida Marlins.

My point is that the business of sports is to sell tickets, TV advertising and sponsorships, period; in other words, increase profits.  Some teams accomplish this by winning, some teams accomplish this by signing players that are a "draw," some teams will sell tickets despite their efforts (or lack of), some teams don't sign expensive players, and some teams do a combination of these four.

Basically, what SoSW said, with the addition that teams in Florida typically don't sell tickets to anything.  Look at the Heat.  Look at the Marlins.  There are a lot more things to do in Miami other than sit inside and watch a basketball game, or sit in the sweltering heat and watch a baseball game.  Miami is a terrible sports town, despite the fact that it is a huge market.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 11:08:18 AM »
You must be a Bud Seilig fan! I didnt think any existed.

Oh, and dont tell Steinbrenner that winning is not the goal of a team; he'll rip your throat out.

Big Stein only cares about winning because he can afford to.

Truthfully, pro sports are a mix of owners ego (ie winning) and making $.

That balance isn't the same for every owner, but rest assured these rich guys didn't get rich by getting in on losing investments.

If the goal was really championships (winning), teams wouldn't put luxury boxes close to the field. They'd put bleacher seats and pack people in (create the best home court/field advantage).

Making $ is important.

feedback