[Today at 08:05:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ben Howland to DePaul?  (Read 12012 times)

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
Ben Howland to DePaul?
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
I just heard on the 670 the Score Chicago that DePaul might offer that huge money contract to UCLA's Ben Howland. This is the only link I could find for now.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2010/3/24/1388707/espn-depaul-emerges-as-a-potential

flash

• Team Captain
Re: Ben Howland to DePaul?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:57:01 PM »
That woud be an unbelievable hire for Depaul.  He would put their program back on the map.

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
The article also mentions a possible Pitino to UCLA. That would start some dominos falling ala UNC/Kansas/Illinois.

Untucked

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
Why would anyone in leave UCLA for Depaul? Especially, Howland, who grew up in southern california.
Q: What's the difference between Bo Ryan and God?
A: God doesn't think he's Bo Ryan!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
This has as much chance as the rumors of Isaiah Thomas coming to the Clippers.  Well, maybe more of a chance.  I would be stunned.

Dan Guerrero LOVES Ben Howland...no way this happens.  UCLA is at a disadvantage in what they can pay him because they are a public university, but the alums can fill the gaps, but that's the only reason I can see it along with the fact that people here bitch because God forbid their 3 year Final Four streak ended two years ago and life isn't as grand.  I just don't think this ever happens.  And the thought of Pitino at UCLA.....nope.

If Howland leaves, which I doubt,, Jamie Dixon is the head coach at UCLA.  SLAM DUNK take it to the bank that will happen.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 05:06:13 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ZMovieman

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
Why would anyone in leave UCLA for Depaul? Especially, Howland, who grew up in southern california.

While I agree, $3 million dollars is a lot per year. I'm sure he's making a lot at UCLA, but probably not that much. Maybe he's feeling heat from last year's disappointment? I don't know. I'm grasping straws as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »
I just heard on the 670 the Score Chicago that DePaul might offer that huge money contract to UCLA's Ben Howland. This is the only link I could find for now.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/2010/3/24/1388707/espn-depaul-emerges-as-a-potential

B&B also said that DePaul is gonna get used through this process...and they are probably right.  I would be enormously surprised if this happens.

The name they also mentioned was Mike Anderson of Mizzou...which I think makes some sense.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
While I agree, $3 million dollars is a lot per year. I'm sure he's making a lot at UCLA, but probably not that much. Maybe he's feeling heat from last year's disappointment? I don't know. I'm grasping straws as well.

He's supposedly frustrated by some of the California prima donna athletes not buying into his system, but that won't change with Chicago athletes.  

All I can say is if this happens, wow, what a great great ballsy hire by DePaul....if they can get it done.  That would scream pretty damn good search and result.  If DePaul gets any type of "name" hire it goes to show it can be done despite many assertions here that it can't at MU.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
Wow, with all these $3 MM rumors, I guess the economy is fixed.  Sweet.  Good times ahead...  :-\

nyg

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »
Does Howland have any sort of ties to the Chicago area or would this be just a monetary issue?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »
If everyone is going out and spending $3 million, that sets the market pretty damn high.  The non-football schools can do it because they don't have to worry about the football coaches salaries and upstaging them.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
Sweet Alumni Big Shots!  How does DePaul do this?  Their entire men's b-ball budget was less than 3 million for 2008.  Their attendance is awful.  It's always fun to see Marquette play at Allstate Arena because our fans always out number theirs.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
Does Howland have any sort of ties to the Chicago area or would this be just a monetary issue?

No Chicago ties.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
Wow, with all these $3 MM rumors, I guess the economy is fixed.  Sweet.  Good times ahead...  :-\

Rumor has it that DePaul's information systems school is raising big bucks by hacking the fan sites of other teams and planting scripts that try to get the other team's fans to buy a bogus spyware removal program!!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 05:48:59 PM »

He's getting a lot of criticism after the year UCLA had not even being considered for the NIT.  There is a lot of grousing about his recruiting, especially the 2008 class which was ranked first in the country, but which has largely been a bust.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
Their attendance is awful. 

Depaul was 65th nationally last year in attendance, beating out Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Gonzaga, Temple, Butler and St. John's.

They actually draw rather large crowds for such a pitiful program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »
He's getting a lot of criticism after the year UCLA had not even being considered for the NIT.  There is a lot of grousing about his recruiting, especially the 2008 class which was ranked first in the country, but which has largely been a bust.

They mostly got killed with early defections to the NBA.  I believe 3 or 4 straight years they lost their starting point guard.  The incoming class is very good.  This would stun me if he left for DePaul but I love the cajones going after some big name coaches on their part.  Has to make their fan base excited that they give a damn about the program finally.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
Depaul was 65th nationally last year in attendance, beating out Cincinnati, Seton Hall, Stanford, Georgia Tech, Gonzaga, Temple, Butler and St. John's.

They actually draw rather large crowds for such a pitiful program.

Thanks for setting me straight.  I guess just about any program's attendance pales when one's point of comparison is the Bradley Center.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Another year like this one at UCLA and they might fire him. He has to consider what next year's outlook at UCLA is. He might like UCLA, but can see the writing on the wall.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 06:47:51 PM »
Another year like this one at UCLA and they might fire him. He has to consider what next year's outlook at UCLA is. He might like UCLA, but can see the writing on the wall.

This year was predicted to be a rebuilding year and that's what they got.  As well as I know Guerrero, I cannot see Dan firing Howland next year even if they don't make the NCAAs.  It would take 3 straight years.  Howland has done too much at UCLA, demands the kids go to school, won't tolerate any of the off court crap. 

This is a guy that took his team to 5 straight NCAAs including 3 Final Fours (an appearance in the title game), 3 Pac Ten titles, 2 Pac Ten tournament titles....they had a down year this year but considering who they lost due to the NBA draft, not surprising.

Loaded class coming in for 2010-11.  I can't imagine he is fearing anything about a job loss at UCLA.

Maybe I'm to bias since he's a local boy (Cerritos High School) and my interactions with their AD, but I can't imagine for the life of me him feeling any type of hot seat tension at all. 

CanadianGyroEater

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »
The article also mentions a possible Pitino to UCLA. That would start some dominos falling ala UNC/Kansas/Illinois.

Crean to UCLA! It's Westwood Village! It's Westwood VIllage!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Sound familiar "Will stay as long as they will have me"
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
LOL.  I love coach speak.  I swear there is a manual they are all given so they say the same thing.

From the LA Times

Howland: "I am the coach at UCLA. I will never leave UCLA and will stay at UCLA as long as they will have me."

http://twitter.com/cfosterlatimes

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
Crean next stop could very likely be back to East Lansing as Izzo's asst.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 07:55:08 PM »
Crean next stop could very likely be back to East Lansing as Izzo's asst driver.

fixed.

c'mon cat, that was easy.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:02 PM »
fixed.

c'mon cat, that was easy.

'bout time you step up your game.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback