[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Future Defensive issues  (Read 1939 times)

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
Future Defensive issues
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:44:03 AM »
Coming into the games last night i worried about defensive issues only on the interior, but after last night i worry about defenzive issure on the perimeter as well...

Acker is going to be a defensive liability for the rest of the season.  Louisville, pitt, and syracuse all have larger guards.  They may not all be as skiled as Aj price, but jerry smith, lavance fields and johnny flynn are no slouches. 

does anyone seem a remidy to this situation?
Da Bulls

TJ

• All American
Re: Future Defensive issues
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »
effort and help defense.  there is no other answer.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:07:16 PM »
We already sort of suffer problems defensively on the perimeter because our guards have to constantly keep an eye on the blocks because our big men can't handle their counterparts.  DJ was more of the on-ball defender who tried to make it difficult for the opponent's PG to make a direct pass, while Matthews and McNeal kind of slough off/bounce back on their man to provide help down low.

Acker and Cubes are nowhere near the on ball defender James was.  It's going to be  easier to get the  ball down low now.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
agree this will be a big problem. While McNeal has a great reputation on D, I don't think he is great on the ball. As referenced, he's better cheating and helping. Same with Wes. We'll struggle stopping dribble penetration, and I would anticipate our ability to avoid foul trouble to the extent we have for the most part will also be impacted.

At this point, hey, they'll do the best they can and we'll see how far it can take them. All expectations are out the window and it's just scratch and claw for whatever we can get from here. Way it goes I guess.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:12:47 PM »
We already sort of suffer problems defensively on the perimeter because our guards have to constantly keep an eye on the blocks because our big men can't handle their counterparts.  DJ was more of the on-ball defender who tried to make it difficult for the opponent's PG to make a direct pass, while Matthews and McNeal kind of slough off/bounce back on their man to provide help down low.
Acker and Cubes are nowhere near the on ball defender James was.  It's going to be  easier to get the  ball down low now.

Bingo.  Also, DJ was strong enough to fight through picks and could block shots.  Given Ackers short stature and slight frame.  I think MU would be better served to go to a more traditional lineup and start Butler with Acker, Coobey and Fulce off the bench.  fulce simply needs to play and give us more length.

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines of McNeal, Matthews, Butler, hayward and  Burke.
I would like to see more of fulce, but the inexperience and lack of understanding on defensive schemes worries me. 

there is no simple solution to this problem, but i have faith buzz will figure it out. 

The way we played last night, i still feel we have a very strong chance against the last 3 teams

Da Bulls

feedback