[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Wojo Be Fired?

Fire Wojo
Retain Wojo

Author Topic: Poll: Post Hiroshima  (Read 26242 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Poll: Post Hiroshima
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2019, 09:58:26 AM »
Stan must read Scoop.

Stan Johnson

@MUCoachJohnson
Inhale.... exhale. Everything is going to be okay. Actually it’s going to be better than okay. Since the beginning of time God has chosen the unlikely to do the unimaginable.
He's not just hearing it on Scoop. I sure the boosters, alumni, students, administration and media are all expressing concern for the program.
I feel bad for him; I'm guessing he thought he and the rest of the staff would get an extension and raise at some point.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:40 AM »
So you're essentially saying that everyone hates Wojo...but Stan is so amazing that they all stay in spite of Wojo.

There is significantly more truth to that statement than you might believe.

Edit to add that I agree with you that Stan is probably not the answer for who the next head coach should be.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:05:51 AM by MDMU04 »
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:21 AM »
poll is once again 67-33 in favor of keeping Wojo, even after all that has gone down. Sure, it is a shift from the previous 85-15 but still overwhelmingly in favor of Wojo.

Would be a landslide election.

Can we shut down fire Wojo talk until we see how 2019-2020 goes?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »
poll is once again 67-33 in favor of keeping Wojo, even after all that has gone down. Sure, it is a shift from the previous 85-15 but still overwhelmingly in favor of Wojo.

People who are passionate about these things are much more likely to vote as well.  At this point, the people that want Wojo canned are much more vocal and passionate than the group that thinks that would be stupid.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
So you're essentially saying that everyone hates Wojo...but Stan is so amazing that they all stay in spite of Wojo.

You're advocating for an emotional decision. Being part of an angry mob is fun, but it rarely leads to anything positive. If Wojo does need to go, the next hire is critical. Two consecutive failed rebuilds is the death knell for any program. Firing Wojo means the first one failed. You fail the second one and your program is mediocre likely for decades. The transition needs to be planned and well executed.

Stan is a helluva guy. Can obviously recruit and can make you want to run through a brick wall. I would not be confident in the Xs and Os or player development pieces of his game. Could be wrong, maybe he's the next Beard but that is not a transition that would give me confidence.
Team sports are about getting players to work together toward a common goal. This requires a lot of trust among all the parties. It starts with the coach as being perceived to be fair. When faith in the coach is lost, everyone is  then is out for themselves. So not really an emotional decision here to advocate for Wojo ouster, but rather one rooted in practical experience. 

Stan has the confidence of the team. Everyone on the team views him positively.  Creates a fresh new start for the team. I have never questioned Wojo x and os the way some people do. My biggest beef is with roster management and team culture . When a team oriented kid like Sam says No Mas it really is a sign something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2019, 06:15:26 PM »
Team sports are about getting players to work together toward a common goal. This requires a lot of trust among all the parties. It starts with the coach as being perceived to be fair. When faith in the coach is lost, everyone is  then is out for themselves. So not really an emotional decision here to advocate for Wojo ouster, but rather one rooted in practical experience. 

Stan has the confidence of the team. Everyone on the team views him positively.  Creates a fresh new start for the team. I have never questioned Wojo x and os the way some people do. My biggest beef is with roster management and team culture . When a team oriented kid like Sam says No Mas it really is a sign something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Gotta ask... Why do you think Stan could keep that confidence moving up to the big chair? Different role, spotlight, expectations, choices, creating inherently more conflicts.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2019, 06:15:55 PM »

Yes, we must shut down all independent thought about criticizing Wojo, until how we see how the next year goes, because we will be really, really good. We should forget about the late season melt down and the latest fiasco with the Hausers. Because as Scarlett used to say, "Tommorow is another day." UNTIL ANOTHER SHOE DROPS
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
Gotta ask... Why do you think Stan could keep that confidence moving up to the big chair? Different role, spotlight, expectations, choices, creating inherently more conflicts.
I believe the players fundamentally trust him and do not trust Wojo. Wojo has thrown too many kids under the bus over the years. Because of the trust, I believe Stan is in a better position to get the kids to buy into what is necessary to win.

Stan did a great job with JJJ and was a key figure in the armistice between the two of them. I have great confidence in this particular situation in what Stan brings to the table.
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »

I don't think you're understanding me. Even if everything you say is true and the players have no trust in Wojo anymore and the team is going to suck....I'd rather sacrifice next season and do a targeted search with a well thought out plan for transition then hand the reins to a guy who we are stuck with because we can't get anyone better.

Something that needs to be understood. Our program cannot handle two consecutive failed rebuilds. If we fire Wojo it means the first one failed. If the one after that fails too, we may not be able to recover and if we do it will be decades before we are back on track.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
I don't think you're understanding me. Even if everything you say is true and the players have no trust in Wojo anymore and the team is going to suck....I'd rather sacrifice next season and do a targeted search with a well thought out plan for transition then hand the reins to a guy who we are stuck with because we can't get anyone better.

Something that needs to be understood. Our program cannot handle two consecutive failed rebuilds. If we fire Wojo it means the first one failed. If the one after that fails too, we may not be able to recover and if we do it will be decades before we are back on track.

This is a very logical theory of the case as long as the transfer issue is contained at this point.  If it gets worse you can always turn things over to an asst later

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2019, 07:33:47 PM »

I am actually uncomfortable with a targeted plan and search. Camel was a horse built by committee.

Stan is here and did a great job recruiting the team in place . I am looking at this circumstance the same way that Xavier did with Travis Steele. The kids lobbied for Steele and the administrators agreed. Steele did an exceptional job when handed the reigns. He went out and got three solid grad transfers to deal with the present and then signed 5 kids with promise to come in this season. It took him a while to get going during the season but Xavier came in strong at the end when it matters most and are in a very good place heading into next season. Important to note that Xavier is a highly desirable place for a coach with its winning history , sold out on campus
arena and all the resources in place to compete at the high major level.

The one thing I know about MU sports administration is they actually care about kids . Scholl is very attuned to the students athletes having a good experience .  So I don’t see hiring Stan as stretch at all.
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »
Y'all are focused on should Wojo bee chit canned. Butt, watt if Steve wanted outta dis gig and wuz actively seekin' another job. Maybe he wood welcome leavin' Peyton Place, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2019, 07:53:22 PM »
I am actually uncomfortable with a targeted plan and search. Camel was a horse built by committee.

Stan is here and did a great job recruiting the team in place . I am looking at this circumstance the same way that Xavier did with Travis Steele. The kids lobbied for Steele and the administrators agreed. Steele did an exceptional job when handed the reigns. He went out and got three solid grad transfers to deal with the present and then signed 5 kids with promise to come in this season. It took him a while to get going during the season but Xavier came in strong at the end when it matters most and are in a very good place heading into next season. Important to note that Xavier is a highly desirable place for a coach with its winning history , sold out on campus
arena and all the resources in place to compete at the high major level.

The one thing I know about MU sports administration is they actually care about kids . Scholl is very attuned to the students athletes having a good experience .  So I don’t see hiring Stan as stretch at all.

I thinking hiring the assistant of a coach you just fired for poor performance is a huge stretch. I'm not sure it has ever happened at the high major level.

I also think using a 1 year coach who went to the NIT after taking over a team that just earned a 1 seed is not a ringing endorsement. Maybe Steele works out. He's far from a proven commodity at this point.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
Result so far...
I hate you
I loathe you
But there ain't no way I'm ever gonna fire you
But don't be glad
Cuz
2 out of 3's still bad

I cannot lie (I cannot lie)
I can't pretend Wojo is something he's not
No matter how I try
He'll never be able
To get the Duke job that he sought
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
Y'all are focused on should Wojo bee chit canned. Butt, watt if Steve wanted outta dis gig and wuz actively seekin' another job. Maybe he wood welcome leavin' Peyton Place, hey?
Going into this year my ideal scenario was that Wojo performed well enough to be hired away by someone willing to pay the make whole agreement  with MU. MU pockets the loot and moves on.
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2019, 09:21:28 PM »
I thinking hiring the assistant of a coach you just fired for poor performance is a huge stretch. I'm not sure it has ever happened at the high major level.

I also think using a 1 year coach who went to the NIT after taking over a team that just earned a 1 seed is not a ringing endorsement. Maybe Steele works out. He's far from a proven commodity at this point.
We would not be firing Wojo for poor performance. We would be firing him because he lost the confidence of his team. Kind of like the British parliamentary system. The assistant coach was responsible for bringing in the talent. Happens all the time.

Travis Steele did a great job at Xavier. Xavier graduated its key players and Steele was able to quickly assemble the Grad Transfers needed to keep the ship afloat. That is a lot easier said than done. Then he was able to secure his solid 5 man  recruiting class . Again easier said than done. He got the team performing when it counted the most. When I saw Xavier play at the Big East tournament against Villanova, they look very impressive.  They lose the grad transfers but have all the rest of the team coming back and then the 5 recruits plus a traditional transfer . Steele then was able to secure  two solid grad transfers for this year:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/xaviersports/2019/04/17/xavier-basketball-lands-western-michigan-grad-transfer-bryce-moore/3500106002/

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/xaviersports/2019/04/17/xavier-basketball-lands-western-michigan-grad-transfer-bryce-moore/3500106002/

So in summary Steele in his first year , reloaded and Xavier did not have to go through a rebuild. He posted a winning season and has momentum.

Steele > Wojo

And if you have any doubt about his recruiting abilities going forward please click on the photo in the instagram link. Obviously the guy is a talented salesman

https://twitter.com/blackburnreview/status/980135007946723329
            ---Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
Get. Ben. Howland.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
Steele may be better than Wojo. I'll need more than 1 NIT season after inheriting a team that had just earned a 1 seed to prove it.

You say firing a head coach for losing the team and hiring one his assistants happens all the time. Can you give some examples at the high major level? I can think of times when a coach was fired because of recruiting violations or illegal issues but not outside of that.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »
Get. Ben. Howland.

He wasn't an option in 2014. He's not an option now.
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2019, 11:49:46 PM »
Steele may be better than Wojo. I'll need more than 1 NIT season after inheriting a team that had just earned a 1 seed to prove it.

You say firing a head coach for losing the team and hiring one his assistants happens all the time. Can you give some examples at the high major level? I can think of times when a coach was fired because of recruiting violations or illegal issues but not outside of that.

Steele did  not inherit the 1 seed team. They lost their top three scorers  who accounted for the bulk of their production.  Bluiett , Macura were signed to NBA contracts.  and Kerem Kanter went to play for Turkey. Their fifth leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder Kaiser Gates left to play in the G League. Sean OMara a solid senior big man also graduated. To use one of your evaluation tools, they lost the bulk of their production.

What you are overlooking is that Steele had the ability to bring in grad transfers who contributed and then got good production out of the rest of the team that returned. He also retained the recruiting class . Steele reloaded , Wojo tore something down that didn't need to be torn down.

Bill Frieder was fired by Bo Schembechler, the assistant Steve Fischer came in and won the national championship for Michigan.
            ---Al McGuire

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2019, 12:19:04 AM »
He wasn't an option in 2014. He's not an option now.

He can be.  Everyone has a price.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2019, 12:59:23 AM »
He can be.  Everyone has a price.

I don't think that's why he's not an option now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2019, 07:51:51 AM »
Steele did  not inherit the 1 seed team. They lost their top three scorers  who accounted for the bulk of their production.  Bluiett , Macura were signed to NBA contracts.  and Kerem Kanter went to play for Turkey. Their fifth leading scorer and 2nd leading rebounder Kaiser Gates left to play in the G League. Sean OMara a solid senior big man also graduated. To use one of your evaluation tools, they lost the bulk of their production.

What you are overlooking is that Steele had the ability to bring in grad transfers who contributed and then got good production out of the rest of the team that returned. He also retained the recruiting class . Steele reloaded , Wojo tore something down that didn't need to be torn down.

Bill Frieder was fired by Bo Schembechler, the assistant Steve Fischer came in and won the national championship for Michigan.

I'm exactly aware of what Xavier's situation was. Based on the talent they had they should have been an NCAA at large. Not a high one but in the tournament nonetheless Steele underperformed.

You ignored my question. You say firing a head coach for losing the team and hiring one his assistants happens all the time. Can you give some examples at the high major level? I can think of times when a coach was fired because of recruiting violations or legal issues but not outside of that.
TAMU

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »

That's a very interesting question, something that I think a lot of people here should be pondering pretty carefully.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »