[May 10, 2024, 10:24:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Vander Blue Man Group
[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Would you fly on a pilotless passenger jet?  (Read 36601 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Would you fly on a pilotless passenger jet?
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »
I'm sorry that you might have grew up in an age where computers were not readily available. Let me give you some quick info.

Network - Would give information on other planes, clearances etc

Client - Would control the flight of the craft

These two would not connect in anyway exact for kilobyte's of information of text based documents on coordinates. The only way to hack into a client would be to psychically take over the plane and enter the mainframe of the computer.

Think of it this way, if your computer at home was not connected to the internet sending and receiving data every second, then it would be impossible to be hacked. This is what the client of a plane would do.

I'm quite aware of client, server, network architecture.  I have a server of my own here at home. 

My point is that whenever there is a communications path open, that is a vulnerability.  You have  said that there is information passing between client and server when you say "except for kilobyes of information"....that's all that is needed.  You need a gateway, which you admit there is one.  I'm not saying it's easy by any stretch, but the vulnerability exists.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2015, 01:14:42 AM »
I agree with Chico's.

I'm not in favor of minorities and gangs getting driverless cars. Way too much at stake.

Just another example of millennials ruining this country.

(shakes fist)

1/2 a million in just 3 months....OUTSTANDING.  Bravo.  Hands clapping

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/article17373587.html

JD

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
3 weeks in at ATP flight school.  This topic is giving me anxiety.

So you're telling me I shouldn't have dumped $70,000 for 6 months of private, instrument, commercial and cfi licenses...  Awesome
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 12:32:27 AM »

So you're telling me I shouldn't have dumped $70,000 for 6 months of private, instrument, commercial and cfi licenses...  Awesome

Shoulda gone down to your local recruitin' post and had Uncle Sugar foot the flight trainin' bill...

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »

In the alternative, $70,000 would have bought you a 4-year education at UND and all that stuff.

So you're $70,000 poorer but you didn't have to spend 4 years in Grand Forks or in a bunk with Keefe.  I think you win.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2015, 11:04:58 AM »
1/2 a million in just 3 months....OUTSTANDING.  Bravo.  Hands clapping

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/article17373587.html

Well, I didn't mean for this to be a political issue.

I was just poking fun.

You've got a little "crabby old man" in you.

When talking about automated vehicles, gang drive-bys should be about #7000 on the list of possible concerns, just after #6999: "will it know how to go through the starbucks drive through so I get get my (insert drink with all sorts of ingredients), or can the car just bring me the coffee when it picks me up?"

As far as you and Heisenburg, you're both right. For the most part, technology doesn't wipe out industries. There are still CD's, records, record stores, etc. You can still get a land-line phone. You can still go to a book store.

However, disruptive tech. (wireless phones, mp3s, amazon) certainly change industries and the way consumers go about their day to day lives.

Amazon didn't eliminate book stores, and Uber won't eliminate taxis... but the net effect is pretty obvious.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2015, 11:34:01 AM »

I went private -> Commercial. Then promptly stopped and went into premed, since being an ATP pilot was nothing more then being a glorified bus driver. One that can be replaced by a computer easily.

I'm quite aware of client, server, network architecture.  I have a server of my own here at home. 

My point is that whenever there is a communications path open, that is a vulnerability.  You have  said that there is information passing between client and server when you say "except for kilobyes of information"....that's all that is needed.  You need a gateway, which you admit there is one.  I'm not saying it's easy by any stretch, but the vulnerability exists.

If you have a server at home for anything more then media storage for yourself, your gunna have a bad time with bandwidth.

JD

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »
I went private -> Commercial. Then promptly stopped and went into premed, since being an ATP pilot was nothing more then being a glorified bus driver. One that can be replaced by a computer easily.

If you have a server at home for anything more then media storage for yourself, your gunna have a bad time with bandwidth.

Be replaced by a computer?  Sure computers do 90% of the work in today's airlines, but that's not the point.  When crap hits the fan, someone needs to be in the flight deck to handle the situation.  I worked in healthcare, it's nothing but a scam.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
Be replaced by a computer?  Sure computers do 90% of the work in today's airlines, but that's not the point.  When crap hits the fan, someone needs to be in the flight deck to handle the situation.  I worked in healthcare, it's nothing but a scam.

Pilot error kills more people than computer error, see France two weeks ago.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
Pilot error kills more people than computer error, see France two weeks ago.

That's anecdotal. Do you have stats to back up your claim?

I honestly have no idea whether you are right or wrong. But that was one incident

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
That's anecdotal. Do you have stats to back up your claim?

I honestly have no idea whether you are right or wrong. But that was one incident

Try google.

Took 5 seconds

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09:46 PM »
Well, I didn't mean for this to be a political issue.

I was just poking fun.

You've got a little "crabby old man" in you.

When talking about automated vehicles, gang drive-bys should be about #7000 on the list of possible concerns, just after #6999: "will it know how to go through the starbucks drive through so I get get my (insert drink with all sorts of ingredients), or can the car just bring me the coffee when it picks me up?"

As far as you and Heisenburg, you're both right. For the most part, technology doesn't wipe out industries. There are still CD's, records, record stores, etc. You can still get a land-line phone. You can still go to a book store.

However, disruptive tech. (wireless phones, mp3s, amazon) certainly change industries and the way consumers go about their day to day lives.

Amazon didn't eliminate book stores, and Uber won't eliminate taxis... but the net effect is pretty obvious.

When it impacts my life directly because of the state I live in....you're daming unnatural carnal knowledgeing right.   For all you guys that don't live in the SW, you have no idea.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 11:13:16 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2015, 10:51:15 AM »
When it impacts my life directly because of the state I live in....you're daming unnatural carnal knowledgeing right.   For all you guys that don't live in the SW, you have no idea.

Alright, I'll make you a deal:

You're now in charge of worrying about potential drive by shootings from auto-driving vehicles. Feel free to post every article about it. Post every time it happens. Post every stat, study, etc.

I'm in charge of worrying about the lives saved by reduced drunken driving, reduced reckless driving, reduced falling asleep while driving, reduced old people mixing up the peddles, and reduced texting while driving.

If the drive-bys end up killing more people than we save, I'll sure look like an idiot.

EDIT: grammar.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:41:07 AM by Canned Goods n Ammo »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:27 PM »

You're now in charge of worrying about potential drive by shootings from auto-driving vehicles. Feel free to post every article about it. Post every time it happens. Post every stat, study, etc.

I'm in charge of worrying about the lives saved by reduced drunken driving, reduced reckless driving, reduced falling asleep while driving, reduced old people mixing up the peddles, and reduced texting while driving.

If the drive-bys end up killing more people than we save, I'll sure look like an idiot.

Just to clarify, you're talking about passengers with guns in a self-driving automobile, not a self-driving automobile with a self-firing gun, right?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2015, 05:36:15 PM »
Just to clarify, you're talking about passengers with guns in a self-driving automobile, not a self-driving automobile with a self-firing gun, right?

Obviously he needs to keep track of both. Those illegal computers need to be deported to.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »
What kind of adoption rate with pilotless planes and driverless car see?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »

No thanks, but I'll continue to worry about illegal aliens being here and the gov't not only ignoring the laws they swore to uphold, but actually rewarding people for breaking those laws.

Such sound policy when we do these types of things.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
No thanks, but I'll continue to worry about illegal aliens being here and the gov't not only ignoring the laws they swore to uphold, but actually rewarding people for breaking those laws.

Such sound policy when we do these types of things.

I apologize. I think my snark in my previous posts has clouded the issue.

I'm not commenting on illegal aliens at all. I'm not well versed on the subject. Any opinions I have would just be wildly speculative with no actual substance. I try not to do that kind of stuff. Feel free to debate politics on the politics page.

What I AM commenting on was your post where you said this:

What's going to happen on the crime side...are we going to have gangs just hunkered in the back blasting away now and not having to worry about the driver getting shot.....happens here in LA all too often....I'm looking forward to the Crips and Bloods and the Mexican driverless cars...should be fun.

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but you're expressing this as a concern, and a possible barrier to driveless utopia, correct?

My subsequent posts (and snark) (found here http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47162.msg718243#msg718243 and here http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=47162.msg719387#msg719387)were merely pointing out that "driverless drive-bys" are going to be such a minor issue compared to all of the lives that are saved by removing the current human mistakes made behind the wheel.

Now, I opening admit that I haven't studied "driverless drive-bys", so maybe I'm an idiot... and that's why I asked you to become the leader on that issue. Feel free to educate me in the coming years about this potential dangerous issue.

Sorry for the confusion.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »
What kind of adoption rate with pilotless planes and driverless car see?

I'm surprised.

From a macro level, several of them are really similar... almost the same.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »
Yup, planes can't be hacked and flown by someone else.  Can't happen.... ::)

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/feds-say-banned-researcher-commandeered-plane/

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »
I will take my chances on a human pilot going haywire rather than a computer named Hal.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2015, 09:28:15 PM »
The technology exists at still a very early stage.  The point is that application and adoption is all that really matters.  It will be a long long long long long time before this is anywhere near happening to any degree that it matters.
It's not about the technology.  It's about creating a legal and regulatory environment in which it is possible, feasible and affordable.  Don't look for that to happen in litigious USA for a long time. 

Would you let a robot remove your appendix?  Same issue.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2015, 09:51:53 PM »
It's not about the technology.  It's about creating a legal and regulatory environment in which it is possible, feasible and affordable.  Don't look for that to happen in litigious USA for a long time. 

Would you let a robot remove your appendix?  Same issue.

Already happening.  Robotic surgery has made huge advances.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2015, 10:33:48 PM »
Already happening.  Robotic surgery has made huge advances.

Eh.... current robotic surgery hasn't really changed the field of surgery all that much. And, when talking about robotic surgery, there is no "robot" doing anything. It's a human controlling every movement of a machine. The machine can't do a thing on its own.